PDA

View Full Version : New THQ Space Marine game - chainsword 'sheathed' between back and backpack

Captain Stern
15-02-2011, 09:07
Does any one have a problem with this from an aesthetic or background sense?

I don't since I've never liked the idea of space marines going out with nothing but a knife (even if it's mono moneculararar) for close combat.

Here's to THQ showing Games Workshop the way AGAIN (the first time being space marine proportions as in DOW2).

Yes.

Hellebore
15-02-2011, 10:12
Well it would reduce flexibility - when the marine bent backwards or twisted the sword would get wedged between the backpack, breastplate and shoulder pad.

With mag clamps they could really sheath them anywhere, from the shoulder pad to their thigh.

Hellebore

theJ
15-02-2011, 10:40
I haven't kept as good a check on the SM game as I probably should've - would you happen to have a photo or something? It'd make judging the style a lot easier than just being told it "is between the back and the backpack".
If no photos are available - is it hanging horizontally or vertically? Is there some sort of scabbard, hook, or are we simply not shown how it's held in place? Is it the standard chainswords or some sort of 'special' version (would make sense for a secondary weapon to be somewhat smaller - for ease of carrying if naught else).

Raibaru
15-02-2011, 11:11
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-10-warhammer-40-000/704820

Tons of footage there with the sword on the back.

Captain Stern
15-02-2011, 11:20
Well it would reduce flexibility - when the marine bent backwards or twisted the sword would get wedged between the backpack, breastplate and shoulder pad.

With mag clamps they could really sheath them anywhere, from the shoulder pad to their thigh.

Hellebore

I wouldn't be in favour of it either if it redcuced functionality. Anywhere near the legs and he'll stumble (yes I know some models have waist sheathed swords). Attached to most places it will just look stupid. I thought maybe strapping it to the back of the backpack would work, but how the hell would he get hold of it?

Looking at one of my space marine minis now I don't think a chainsword would fit there, but of course that's no reason why Jes Goodwin can't fix it for the next re-design.

I haven't kept as good a check on the SM game as I probably should've - would you happen to have a photo or something? It'd make judging the style a lot easier than just being told it "is between the back and the backpack".
If no photos are available - is it hanging horizontally or vertically? Is there some sort of scabbard, hook, or are we simply not shown how it's held in place? Is it the standard chainswords or some sort of 'special' version (would make sense for a secondary weapon to be somewhat smaller - for ease of carrying if naught else).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvymPlPaXDE

Born Again
15-02-2011, 11:29
Yeah, I have a problem with it. Firstly, it seems unnecessary as it's pretty well accepted they mag-clamp equipment about their belt. It also looks like it isn't the most practical place in terms of getting it out, and it interfering with the shoulder pad movement.
It wasn't the first concern I had about the game though, fluff wise. The animation looks great, but... I'm not sure of the situation of Marines riding in Valkyries, when they have plenty of their own aircraft to use. Certainly there's a problem with the Stormboyz apparently floating along like birds next to them. Aren't jump packs meant to do just that, give you longer, higher jumps? I've never know them to give you unhindered flight at the same height as an aircraft.

theJ
15-02-2011, 11:31
well, from the pictures given, it looks pretty good.

Better than the standard combat blades? Gonna have to wait and find out.

On a personal note: I'm happy we're doing this stuff with proper guns (seen bolters and heavy bolters so far) rather than running 'round with some pansy pistols ala. the pre-relic teasers.

theunwantedbeing
15-02-2011, 11:38
It's not sheathed "between the back and the backpack" really.

It's between the vent on his backpack on the right hand side and his shoulder gap between the shoulder pad and the marines body, held nicely in place using gravity. Presumably it would fall out if he was to be upside down.

Doesn't look awkward or wierd.

Fluxeor
15-02-2011, 12:17
Yeah, I have a problem with it. Firstly, it seems unnecessary as it's pretty well accepted they mag-clamp equipment about their belt. It also looks like it isn't the most practical place in terms of getting it out, and it interfering with the shoulder pad movement.
It wasn't the first concern I had about the game though, fluff wise. The animation looks great, but... I'm not sure of the situation of Marines riding in Valkyries, when they have plenty of their own aircraft to use. Certainly there's a problem with the Stormboyz apparently floating along like birds next to them. Aren't jump packs meant to do just that, give you longer, higher jumps? I've never know them to give you unhindered flight at the same height as an aircraft.

The Valks section of the game has Ork flyers as well, it's not to hard to imagine that those Stormboyz might be launching themselves from those. As far as I'm aware hard facts about the performance of jump packs (or rockets used by stormboyz) has never actually been made clear by GW in fluff and certainly not in game.
The Marines using the Valks.. they arn't flying them and perhaps thier own transport options wern't immidiately available and both the Valks and Marines have to get (or evac) somewhere quickly ;).

Whilst it's commonly depicted for marines to mag clamp things like combat knives, grenades and pistols to thier belts or legs, a Chainsword is easily as long as the Marine's leg. Clamping that to his waist is potentially going to hinder the Marine more than sticking it down a gap between his pack and back/shoulder/pad might do.

Xandros
15-02-2011, 14:26
I don't think mag clamps would be aesthetically pleasing. It would just look cheap.

Bunnahabhain
15-02-2011, 14:44
Valkyries are imperial NAVY. Any bit of the Imperium can use them.

Of course, marines do have their own flyers which they would normally use, but using Navy assets is fine.

The sword does appear to be on the side of the pack, not down between the back and the pack. Both work however.

They are both fairly common ways to carry an ice axe when you're not using it, but don't want to put it out of reach- (The 'proper' stowage, used when you know you won't need it for a while, is on the back of your backpack, where you can't reach it fast)

And frankly, I'd rather have a deactiverted sword sitting between armour and an armoured backpack, than I would have an ice axe sitting next to my back.

Hrw-Amen
15-02-2011, 14:56
I think it looks OK, it is where I assumed they always carried them, just like the large hatchets on the IG Catachan back packs. Anywhere else and they would just be in the way.

I also liked the bit with the Ork getting sucked into the Valk Engine, that was bloody.