PDA

View Full Version : new Dark eldar units up on advance order

tezza21
16-02-2011, 13:16
they look sweet the succubus looks very nice so does the beasts and the beast master ?

Kurisu313
16-02-2011, 13:37
They do indeed look very nice, but two comments:

-I think the Succubus has a bit too much armour
-Holy hell, how much will a full pack of khymera cost? I imagine people will use plastic hellions as beastmasters to save money.

Lets hope the plastic kits will soon follow.

madden
16-02-2011, 13:54
They cost a lot 5 masters 5 khymeras and 8 razor wings will set you back 150 so yea use anything else to save some readys.

Gatsby
16-02-2011, 14:03
i like those razorwings, but im kinda sad that the venoms not up uet.

PyroSikTh
16-02-2011, 14:17
I've decided to use VC Dire Wolves as my Khymerae. They actually look surprisingly similar, and about the same size (easily filling up a 40mm each). They're also about 75 cheaper. I'll still use Beastmasters, Clawed Fiends and Razorwings as they are though. You only need a few Razorwings and Beastmasters, and I'll never actually use a Clawed Fiend so I can stomach getting the one.

Poseidal
16-02-2011, 15:18
I like the Succubus and the Razorwings.

I'm not too sold on the Beastmaster, so might go converting one from a Hellion/Wych kit.

Succubus is more or less a sure buy (I might get 2, to convert one); if I decide to run Beastmasters, then the Razorwings are what I'll favour.

SPYDER68
16-02-2011, 15:29
Really like the Succubus..

Don't care a whole lot fo the rest though.

Chem-Dog
16-02-2011, 15:46
They're nice models in general, I do think that the Succubus is a little over armoured (Imho she should be halfway between the Wyches bodysuits and Lelith's bra & panties :shifty:). The Beastmaster is a wee bit...meh.

Fills me with hope for the Court of the Archon.

SPYDER68
16-02-2011, 15:47
I kinda want to use the Succubus for my vect model since she does have a bit more armor on her, just have to replace the whip arm which looks easy.

Endobai
16-02-2011, 16:14
I'll buy everything except the Razorwings eventually with the Clawed Fiend bought after I get the Succubus and the Beastmaster (his pheromone mask looks nice).
Khymerae are extremely expensive and so many are necessary so Dire Wolves will take their place. With correct painting they should be suitably impressive on the battlefield.
Additional Beastmansters can be converted from Hellions and plastic, male bodies from other armies.

The only models I dislike, actually the first models in the new line I am not going to buy are the Razorwings.
Personally I expected something more alien e.g. just like the reptile-bird things (http://www.examiner.com/movie-in-houston/top-20-favorite-movie-monsters-part-1-picture?slide=26412671) from Pitch Black and what did we get?
Some ordinary looking birds which aren't even too dynamic, they are just flying out there doing nothing.
What is more strange is that FW flying rippers are not only better, but also CHEAPER - and worth it. I am going to use them, mount them on plastic bases using semi-transparent poles and maybe add some green stuff to give them more alien form.

I believe that the GW will notice lack of interest in some of the new models eventually and work on plastics.

All right let's see what will come with wave no. 2 - because 1.5 will arrive in March as we can see.

Torpedo Vegas
16-02-2011, 16:30
The Succubus has on way to much clothing, though she could make a cool looking Lady Malys or female archon. The beastmaster and beasts are goofy looking, with the exception of the razorwings, which look like normal birds.

AlexHolker
16-02-2011, 16:39
-Holy hell, how much will a full pack of khymera cost?
261 pounds for a unit of 5 beastmasters and 25 beasts.

Thanatos_elNyx
16-02-2011, 17:02
Seems to me that GW may have shot themselves in the foot with that pricing (more so than usual).
Most people will probably try to go with plastic alts where possible

Dr.Clock
16-02-2011, 17:13
Seriously... the largest possible unit in the 'dex, and we have to buy each model individually, in metal. Also, more than a dollar a point for Khymerae and Beast Master? People will likely just get a bare-bones unit or go for plastic hellions and some other alternative model.

I was disenheartened to hear that the actual models were coming out after I had bitz ordered my plastic alternatives. Now, I'm actually glad I was able to put a unit together for about 30 bucks - there's no way I could even begin to afford the type of unit I want.

The original warp beasts were ugly as sin... these look better but are priced out of proportion. Welcome to the Dark Eldar wraithguard equivalent. Luckily, there are at least decent alternatives.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

WildWeasel
16-02-2011, 17:15
Aye. A $35-40 plastic boxed set with one Beastmaster, one Clawed Fiend, two Razorwings, and five Khymarae? I'd snap up a load of them. It'd still be pricey for a full unit, but you'd get ALL the options.

Johnmclane
16-02-2011, 17:19
ok, the razorflocks were a bit meh.... and I hate metal! So what's the plastic aternatives for the razorflocks (any company will do, not just GW, and no bats please. GW bats are ugly :)??

Torpedo Vegas
16-02-2011, 17:25
ok, the razorflocks were a bit meh.... and I hate metal! So what's the plastic aternatives for the razorflocks (any company will do, not just GW, and no bats please. GW bats are ugly :)??

Check out the Forge World flying rippers. You get nine, they look really good, and you can make anywhere from one to nine units of Razorwing Flocks from one kit.

solkan
16-02-2011, 17:58
It's nice to see GW's official versions of these models, but except for the Succubus, I don't see any reason to use the new beastmaster or beast models.

For the Beastmaster, it's cheaper to just buy a box of Hellions and use some spare Wytch parts, and you'll get more variety in the unit. For $50 you get either:
a) Three metal Beastmasters and $5 change; or
b) A box of Hellions and a box of Wytches, which you combine to produce five plastic Beastmasters and then you make ten other Dark Eldar models with the left over parts.

For the clawed fiends, I have a very nice collection of the old metal Chaos Spawn that I still think look much better than the clawed troll.

For the birds, alternate models include bats and the BattleMaster screamers, either of which probably fit the theme better.

The only thing I'm torn about is whether or not to rebase my Warpbeasts since the official base for the Khymera is different...

ThreeDogs
16-02-2011, 18:22
I really like all of the creatures, I don't collect Dark Eldar, but they'd make excellent Death World beasties for skirmish games or as random encounters in a regular game. There's just one problem. They're too expensive so I won't ever buy them, not even one...

Private_SeeD
16-02-2011, 18:42
This whole thing with the DE release was a total screw up on someone's part at GW HQ and they will probably get the boot for it, this release was suppossed to be made after the GK if I was told correct but due to the Trade standards law becasue they were on teh website GW must now have to sell them even if they don't/didn't want too. I love the new Succubus and plan on getting one for my gf cause she'll love to paint it even thou I pefer Archon's

marv335
16-02-2011, 18:45
This whole thing with the DE release was a total screw up on someone's part at GW HQ and they will probably get the boot for it, this release was suppossed to be made after the GK if I was told correct but due to the Trade standards law becasue they were on teh website GW must now have to sell them even if they don't/didn't want too. I love the new Succubus and plan on getting one for my gf cause she'll love to paint it even thou I pefer Archon's

I can't see this one being true, Not only was it on the website, there was an email sent out too.

Solid_Smurf
16-02-2011, 19:05
You get awesome Man-Bear-Gorilla!
You get mutated muscle-cat-alien!
You get....crows?
Hey guys over in sculpting, crows? Really? Their nice sculpts...for something else.

theunwantedbeing
16-02-2011, 19:14
I like the succubus and the khymaera's (kinda, despite them being lazy sculpts).
The rest is unimaginative poorly made drivel.

Chem-Dog
16-02-2011, 19:22
Trade standards law becasue they were on teh website GW must now have to sell them even if they don't/didn't want too.

Em....No. GW aren't obliged to sell anything ahead of time, even if they do manage to accidentally publish it on their website.
Especially as these models are a pre-order item.

emperorpenguin
16-02-2011, 19:52
I like the Khymerae and I like the beastmaster. The succubus is a bit static but a nice model.
The Clawed fiend is a good model except the claws should be more pronounced, like in the 3rd ed rulebook.

I agree that the Razorwings are very underwhelming. It's a boringly posed flock of crows as Solid_Smurf and Endobai have said.

Price-wise though these things are ridiculous :wtf:

Grimtuff
16-02-2011, 19:53
This whole thing with the DE release was a total screw up on someone's part at GW HQ and they will probably get the boot for it, this release was suppossed to be made after the GK if I was told correct but due to the Trade standards law becasue they were on teh website GW must now have to sell them even if they don't/didn't want too.

:eyebrows:
Then why are they in today's blog post? DE have always been scheduled to have a wave "1.5" in the second week of March.

Besides, if something is on display by mistake or by some kind of fault etc. then you're under no obligation to sell. It's called an EPW. They had to do it with the Killa Kans.

andyg2006
16-02-2011, 20:31
Might try substituting WFB Trolls (or Minotaurs?) as Clawed Fiends to save and convert 'em up.
Also, WFB undead dogs for Khymerae(?).
I'm definitely not a fan of the Razorwings...they remind me too much of the 'melty-eagle' chaos familiar. Plus I think they have cartoon-y faces. Will try to get hold of some Necromunda Ripperjacks / Ripper swarms / Nid Gargoyles (or pretty much any other flying monster) instead.
Hellions are easily > Beastmasters.
I really like the Succubus and prefer it as a 'Lelith'-substitute.

theJ
16-02-2011, 20:34
I like the Succubus. There are some details that feel a bit off (left boob ornament, amongst others), but I'll most likely get one. If it turns out more annoying than I can stand, they're still minor enough details that a bit of scratching+green stuff should be able to handle it.

As for the beasties... well... I was never really into them to begin with. Their fluff never held the same appeal as the standard wyches or kabalites, much less the other 'special' slots. While the "crows" look a bit neat, and I could see myself use the Khymera, the Clawed Fiend and the beastmaster himself don't really captivate me, and the price pretty much seals the deal - I'm not gonna be fielding beastmaster squads anytime soon.

I'll probably be a lot more excited about Talos's and Scourges (I've kinda fallen in love with the Scourge pic and rules in the Codex ^^). The Venoms will probably be neat too, but I have yet to find any good places to put 'em in my lists.

ColShaw
16-02-2011, 20:35
Ripperjacks would make GREAT Razorwings. With that good "Aliens" feel to them.

Lothlanathorian
16-02-2011, 20:46
I think the Clawed Fiend looked alright. Aside from the fact that he has six nipples.

Darwin_green
16-02-2011, 21:48
I would have been cool with paying $5-$7 for the khimeras, but 15 each was insane. Which is a shame because I really like the sculpts.

chaospantz
16-02-2011, 22:59
Love the models. Razorwings are a bit boring though. I have a feeling this is going to be the year GW beats its fans to death with their prices. Just looking at how much these guys cost and checking out the price of the O&G book(I dont care if its hardback and full color, its still stupid expensive) I have a feeling that GW is going to take another loss for the year.

Bloodknight
16-02-2011, 23:20
and checking out the price of the O&G boo

Ignore the book, look at what they want for 10 orcs now.

Chapters Unwritten
16-02-2011, 23:37
A friend of mine used the Gargoyles Tyranid box to make all of his Razorwings. He simply left the arms and such off, and just used the bodies and the wings, filled in the joints with green stuff. Amazingly cost efficient compared to these options.

I really don't know what these guys are thinking sometimes. There are only about 5 major forums to look at. If I were them I would have people paid to look at the army lists posted in these forums after a release and then figure out, statistically, which kits would be most popular. The beastmaster unit is something I've seen plenty of, but I've got to be honest here -- nobody is paying 200+ dollars for a single large squad. Sad part is that most of the rest of the DE line is priced quit fairly. $25 for a ten man squad? If the whole game were priced that way it would be flying off the shelves.

Where the hell is the Venom kit that everyone is salivating for? Classic GW. By the time they put it out, we will all have converted our own.

Hellebore
17-02-2011, 00:38
I like those sculpts.

I do agree the razorwings look pretty bland, but they're actually very accurate to the original razorwing from 1st edition. So if you want to blame something for a boring crow alien, blame 1st ed.

Hellebore

Chem-Dog
17-02-2011, 00:49
I think the Clawed Fiend looked alright. Aside from the fact that he has six nipples.

THAT, sir, is how you get him "angry" :eek:
He is teamed up with the Dark Eldar....*Tweak tweak*

if you want to blame something for a boring crow alien, blame 1st ed.

Or unimaginative miniature design? :D I like the Shankparrots.

Winterfell
17-02-2011, 03:18
All the models look great but the prices make me glad I dont play DE. Otherwise I know Id be buying these.

Torpedo Vegas
17-02-2011, 03:25
Its cool that the clawed fiend has 6 nipples and all, but hwy are they placed right next to each other? Thats hardly practical.

Sir_Turalyon
17-02-2011, 03:25
Not sure if I like the fact beasts are sold separately more than dislike their prices... but definietly am glad i already have 4 warp beasts, just enough for one khymera to satisfy me.

You get awesome Man-Bear-Gorilla!
You get mutated muscle-cat-alien!
You get....crows?
Hey guys over in sculpting, crows? Really? Their nice sculpts...for something else.

Yeah,that's what Razorwings are. According to RT book, anyway.

Scaryscarymushroom
17-02-2011, 04:30
This whole thing with the DE release was a total screw up on someone's part at GW HQ and they will probably get the boot for it, this release was suppossed to be made after the GK

Actually, for the past week or so, I've been thinking about how the 40k advance order page looked really bare. I'm happy that there's something there, and I doubt it's a mistake.

Though, making the models metal? Probably a mistake. Although no one's gonna get sacked for a mistake like that. They'll make a great collectors' item, at the very best. If I were going to buy something just to paint, I wouldn't be upset with a few of these models. I've spent $15 on plenty of single models. As far as gaming is concerned... no. $425 is too much to ask. I'd rather spend that on forge world stuff. Or Battleforces or something.

checking out the price of the O&G book(I dont care if its hardback and full color, its still stupid expensive)

Codex prices have been steadily rising, but so has their overall quality as books in their own right. The 5th edition space marines codex is nearly 3 times the size of some 3rd edition codices, and the color sections and paper are higher quality too.

Think about this:
Joe: I wish there were a codex with no fluff.
Marv: It would only be ten pages long!

I'm happy with my expensive books. I want fluff, color, and durability. As a matter of fact, I'm excited about the possibility of a hardcover GK book.

Sadly, it means new players will have a harder time being wrangled in. :( Unless they start playing because they read a Black Library novel or something.

Voss
17-02-2011, 04:43
Its cool that the clawed fiend has 6 nipples and all, but hwy are they placed right next to each other? Thats hardly practical.

Thats bothering me more than anything else. The number of nipples isn't unusual on animals, but the pups have to be really tiny or radically different from the adults to get any use out of them.

Lothlanathorian
17-02-2011, 04:46
Yeah, it wasn't the fact that there are six, it is their placement that had me all :wtf::confused:

tezza21
17-02-2011, 08:17
I think the beast are way over priced especially the clawed fiend but i am going to convert a beast master from a hellion as i have the bits from my wych and kabal squads :)

DeviantApostle
17-02-2011, 11:08
The only thing I'll complain about is the attrocious pricing.

$21AUS for essentially 3 birds? They're kidding themselves. Worst value for money EVER. I am officially on the lookout for ANYTHING that can proxy as Razorwing Flocks for cheaper. Clawed Fiends aren't much better, looks like I'll be using my Chaos Spawn for more than one army. I don't know how they think the Beastmaster's going to sell when there are plastic Hellions on the shelves. Khimerae I like, that's the good news.

Succubus, though, I will be buying 2. One for a Succubus, one to be converted into an Archon.

emperorpenguin
17-02-2011, 11:10
I like those sculpts.

I do agree the razorwings look pretty bland, but they're actually very accurate to the original razorwing from 1st edition. So if you want to blame something for a boring crow alien, blame 1st ed.

Hellebore

They didn't stick to the 3rd ed look of the Clawed Fiend, they made it look more alien, they could have done the same for the razorwings

Darwin_green
20-02-2011, 21:57
well, hasslefree miniatures has a few suitable alternatives.

their maw beasts as khymeras. http://hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/pack.php?pack=1949 -the link is to the sold out resin ones, but that link shows pics of all three. they are sold normally in pewter.

their Messan bosses for clawed fiends. http://hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/pack.php?pack=2297

and Heresy has some good khymera subs too.
their hellhounds have a pair of exposed skull head options they'll ship you if you specify.
http://www.heresyminiatures.com/images/hm027_hellhound3_metal_1.jpg
http://www.heresyminiatures.com/images/hm028_hellhound4_metal1.jpg
http://www.heresyminiatures.com/monsters_main.htm