PDA

View Full Version : Naming The Regiment

JManJump
18-02-2011, 01:49
Hey i'm trying to name a custom regiment that i made with imperial guard and so far i have had no such luck.
the story behind then is that they are stationed on a mining planet (again no name for that either) to protect it. the planet is huge and about 25% of the metals, ores and minerels are found there, the rest no one has a flaming idea what it is. the look behind then is cadians cross catacan models with desert themed colours. thats the basics without me going off and writing a novel about it, if you want to know more about to storyline behind them i'm more the happy to explain.
still any ideas?

Colonel Kolm
18-02-2011, 02:30
the ferrite pioneers? (basically it means iron engineers) thats me sorta just throwing something out there

Worship
18-02-2011, 02:36
Cool idea so far. What are they defending the planet from? What is their home planet?

How about The Desert Banshees :P

JManJump
18-02-2011, 03:45
ok home planet is both cadian and catacan as the troop were shifted to form this new regiment. and they are ment to defend from just about everything, necron cause they had a tomb there, orks cause they like 'Da shiny stuf', eldar want it as a new craftworld. everyone wants the whole joint cause it has so many unknown metals that can make their armys stronger. and i was thinking something a little grand, i though of the gold bearers cause my signiture style is their left shoulder pad is (ment to be) pure gold.

Worship
18-02-2011, 04:25
Interesting. Have you read the stories behind the Titans and the Collegia Titanica? There are a lot of Latin and Latin-like names given to the Titans that might help you with ideas.

They don't get much more 'grand' than that, imo.

JManJump
18-02-2011, 05:17
not yet but that was where i was thinking of going to next
the colour scheme is Graveyard earth for the armour and Kommando Kaki and Denab stone for the cloth

Serpent
18-02-2011, 05:26
The Dust Rats.
The Makhanika Sentinells
Trepolev Ist (Trepolev being the planet's name - if that's what you want)

Three variants, one nickname, one "official" nickname and a very stripped down version.

Chem-Dog
18-02-2011, 05:27
Now, as far as I remember there are several conventions to the naming of regements that are comprised of two or more parent formations, when regements are combined (usually due to casualties) they either take the name of the larger portion if it's significantly larger, or the name of the world on which they are combined with their regemental number being the sum of the two parent formations, so for example:-
Cadian 1st + Catachan 2nd reformed on the planet Eggsalad becomes the Egsalad 3rd.

So what you really need is one name for the world this new regiment is formed upon.
As for the number, they should be the 79....bonus cookies to anyone who can tell me why. which means you can plunder any numbers for the two parent regements which add up to 79.
A 30 second fiddle with thesaurus.com gives me Stannic as a particularly unusual synonym to Metallic, it basically means "Containing tin", which tickles my love for understatement given that it would be the name for a world unusually high in metalic deposits (perhaps, also, a sideways nod to the presence of Necrons on the world).
Another try gives Aurulent as an synonym to Gold, if you want to be a little more....obvious with your name.

So yeah, my suggestion is either the Stannic LIXXIX or the Aurulent LIXXIX.

Their nickname can be anything you like. If you want to go for an animal, pick something that GW makes a model of or at least a transfer, so you can include it in your army (unless you have the paint/greenstuff skillz).
As they are associated with mining, why not have them represented by the Spades cards suit? a 7 of Spades next to a 9 of Spades for example, then simply calling them the Lucky 79 (though god knows what game that hand would be useful in).
Failing that, just call them the "Mineheads" or the "Rockfaces", both are bad Mining related puns.

Hope this helps. :)

JManJump
18-02-2011, 05:49
I love Aurulent
so i'm think of changing that a little but thats the best name i have heard
Maybe Adeptius Aurulent or something like that

New Cult King
18-02-2011, 05:58
A nickname might be the "Gold Dogs" or something like that. So they could be known as the Aurulent LIXXIX Gold Dogs. 79 is the atomic number of gold on the periodic table (;) @ Chem-Dog).

"Mineheads" is also awesome. Major's Miners is another soldier-like play on words.

I don't know about the use of Adeptus - I think that's some sort of organisational name in the Imperium.

JManJump
18-02-2011, 06:07
I see what you mean but taking note here i wanted them to sound important, they are ment to have suppled metals to space marine chapters and forge worlds.
since the planet is so big they so sound like they belong there and that they play a big role in the Imperiam Of Man.
still the planets name i still would like some ideas for that cause i am making battle fields to act as the planets surface

chromedog
18-02-2011, 08:35
Eldar don't settle planets as craftworlds.

They'd want to reclaim their 'maiden world' (assuming it still has enough 'natural' un-mined stuff around) to stop mon'keigh despoiling it. (Maiden worlds were created as potential colony worlds pre-collapse.) though. If you've strip mined it into a rock, they'll do it just because you've done that to it.

It could potentially be a tomb-world or outpost for Necrons (Not all of their worlds were tomb worlds - some would be limited outpost worlds - like the one where the Imperium first encountered them and woke them up).

What to name it?

"New XXXX" crops up a lot in SF literature.
Planetary names based on ancient greek letters in random groups.
Omicron Phi Delta 9b sort of thing.
Naming it after it's first settler also works - or the general relief of the first settlers finally arriving "We made it!" (to pinch a Larry Niven planet).

My own guard army is called the NovaCastrian 99th Colonial Militia.
It's partly a take on Newcastle, the city where I live and what the locals are referred to as (Novocastrians).
NovaCastria is a mining world (not unlike your own).
They mine Unobtainium* for transport to local Forge Worlds for refining into Adamantium and Handwavium (two metals commonly used in 40k). No, I don't take it seriously.

*It is not a gravity defying superconductor.
"Unobtainium" is an Engineering shorthand for any material that is hard to mine, find or fabricate. In early 20th century, Aluminium was considered one of these due to the difficulty in extracting and refining the ore. Current day, certain rare short-lived radioactive compounds are considered to be Unobtainium, too.

JManJump
18-02-2011, 08:45
ok that just means i'll have to make a history for it but that should help

ctsteel
18-02-2011, 12:23
Given the planet is so rich and plentiful in minerals, archaeotech and similar, I was thinking along the lines of cornucopia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornucopia), however a more 'namey' name is Amalthea, which is part of the root story behind the word cornucopia (see link).

The guardsman have been stationed there from Cadia/Catachan explicitly to protect the planet and oversee its mineral extraction, and so are more stewards/guardians etc than a native regiment. So perhaps something like warden (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/warden)?

Could get something like Amalthean Warders from that (or whatever variant on warden/guardian etc you like).

And while that could be the official Administratum name, the individual regiment may have an informal name they are called by other regiments eg if the gold pauldron was fairly unique to that regiment out of any others on the planet, they might earn a nickname like the Goldarms, or the Yellowsides - depending on whether other regiments liked them and their look and how they got that look - for example were they honoured with the gold pauldron by the Planetary Governor for some heroic action that saved the day, or were they given it purely because a self-indulgent governor wanted his personal regiment to stand out and so the other regiments see them as a bunch of pretty boys even though they may be hard as nails?

You can delve as deep into the reasoning as you like - it may even help you to devise particular veterans or colonels/platoon leaders and their style - perhaps a colonel who staved off a necron awakening phase has a trophy of some kind.

Petay1985
18-02-2011, 12:37
having read through the sound advice above i will throw the following into the pot:
- The Amalthea Fusiliers?
- The Trepolev Fusiliers?

Carlosophy
18-02-2011, 14:32
If you're mining for metals look at the greek names for some of the elements on the periodic table. Thus:

Aktis
Astatos
Calx
Kyprios
Cuprium
Argentum
Ytterby/Yttria
Aurum
Holmius
Lutetia
Ekathulium
Hesperus
Silex

You then want a word for defence or protection, thus you have:

The Yttrian Wardens
The Hesperian Shields
The Preservium Calx
The Aktis Consort

Something like that.

Chem-Dog
18-02-2011, 16:31
79 is the atomic number of gold on the periodic table.

Cookies for you sir! :D

Major's Miners is another soldier-like play on words.

Brings Catch-22 to mind.:D

I don't know about the use of Adeptus - I think that's some sort of organisational name in the Imperium.

Deffinitely, you wouldn't expect to see any fighting Guard using the title. Attached Administratum, Ecclesiarch and Mechanicus representatives would be, so I suppose it would be possible to for a regiment working under the direct authority of one of those representatives could be considered to be part of his staff and therefore of the "Adeptus Whatever", but I suspect military pride and convention would see the soldiers balk at abandoning their honoured military rank in favour of a "civillian" one.

They'd want to reclaim their 'maiden world' (assuming it still has enough 'natural' un-mined stuff around) to stop mon'keigh despoiling it. (Maiden worlds were created as potential colony worlds pre-collapse.) though. If you've strip mined it into a rock, they'll do it just because you've done that to it.

If the world is host to a Necron Tomb, I would suspect the Eldar would be far more concerned about forstalling any action that would awaken the necrons.

"New XXXX" crops up a lot in SF literature.

Not least because it's a fairly solid naming convention already, New York (Previously New Amsterdam) and New Zeland are two fairly obvious examples.
I always thought Newfoundland was a singularly unimaginative title for a place, akin to calling an island "Look what I just found".

Naming it after it's first settler also works

Again not without a raft of RL examples.

or the general relief of the first settlers finally arriving "We made it!" (to pinch a Larry Niven planet).

Or my favourite 40K example, the slightly more maudlin Hubris.

My own guard army is called the NovaCastrian 99th Colonial Militia.
It's partly a take on Newcastle, the city where I live and what the locals are referred to as (Novocastrians).

There was I thinking they were called Geordies :p

"Unobtainium" is an Engineering shorthand for any material that is hard to mine, find or fabricate. In early 20th century, Aluminium was considered one of these due to the difficulty in extracting and refining the ore. Current day, certain rare short-lived radioactive compounds are considered to be Unobtainium, too.

Unobtanium is the rubber on the nose grip of Oakleys sunglasses :cool:

JManJump
20-02-2011, 23:45
yeah i get what you mean with the aduptus bit
and i gotta say i like the sound of Amalthea so i'll go with that from now on for then planets name. as for the regiment name i'm still stuck between Arulent and Amalthean but i thought of a way with Amalthea
The Amathean Brave-Hearts.
still i have loads of ideas now but a quick note about the planet (again)
its meant to have everyones eyes set on it therfore making it a big target for anyone so the Amaltheans will have a large task keeping everyone away from it all.
i also wanted to have a heavy rivaily with the chaos marines cause my best friends uses them and we wanted to see why would there be a grude between them.

sigur
20-02-2011, 23:59
Usually there is no need for a special grudge between IG and CSM, but the old "deep down in the rock, there's some important chaos thingy" will do fine. Way more interesting option: Chaos cults trying to infiltrate the mining population.

As for some further stuff to consider about building your planet's background: Who are the miners? Slaves? Is it a giant labour camp? Are the miners locals? How are mining operations organized? Are they organized in a feudal manner top down and directly under Imperial control? If so, how is this system held up? Who's the governor? Is the mining done by companies or households? How does mining happen? Modern? Archaic? This leads to the question about the overall tech level of the planet. Is there a PDF in training? Are the miners to be inducted as militiamen in case of an attack? A regiment, even a big one, wouldn't be enough to hold such a vital planet.

On a side note, please use proper punctuation, capitalization and grammar when posting on Warseer, as per the posting guidelines.

JManJump
21-02-2011, 01:23
Usually there is no need for a special grudge between IG and CSM, but the old "deep down in the rock, there's some important chaos thingy" will do fine. Way more interesting option: Chaos cults trying to infiltrate the mining population.

As for some further stuff to consider about building your planet's background: Who are the miners? Slaves? Is it a giant labour camp? Are the miners locals? How are mining operations organized? Are they organized in a feudal manner top down and directly under Imperial control? If so, how is this system held up? Who's the governor? Is the mining done by companies or households? How does mining happen? Modern? Archaic? This leads to the question about the overall tech level of the planet. Is there a PDF in training? Are the miners to be inducted as militiamen in case of an attack? A regiment, even a big one, wouldn't be enough to hold such a vital planet.

On a side note, please use proper punctuation, capitalization and grammar when posting on Warseer, as per the posting guidelines.

Well there are hardly any miners per say as the mining operations are all done by machines and techpreistsand the tech level is very high cause of that fact that it is a forge world. As for the order of thing all militery ops are controled be commander F Smeg (ok i though it would a little funny) but as for who runs the mining ops i am not sure.

Marus
21-02-2011, 02:06
If it is a combined Catachan-Cadian force relocated to the planet youuy could reasonably call it the planet's first regiment. I say this as I got the impression the planet has not yet raised any regiments. And since it is a mining world I think "Tunnel Rats" would be an apt monniker.

And from this you could say they have a closer-than-normal relation to the AdMech (perhaps AdMech is ultimately in charge of the operations) and all your commissars could be modeled as Tech Priests. Also, this would make for a very fluffy reason why your veteran squads have many meltas (cutting torches) and perhaps favor the demolitions doctrine.

As for planet name I am stumped.

sigur
21-02-2011, 12:43
Well there are hardly any miners per say as the mining operations are all done by machines and techpreistsand the tech level is very high cause of that fact that it is a forge world. As for the order of thing all militery ops are controled be commander F Smeg (ok i though it would a little funny) but as for who runs the mining ops i am not sure.

Okay, so it's not unlikely that it's run by the Adeptus Mechanicus. Opens up for interesting things about your regiment again. Either they get along well with the AM or not. Depending on that, your regiment could get either high-tech equipment and/or there could be major differences between the AM and the regiment stationed there (especially since the regiment consists of former members of regiments that are incredibly proud and probably equally self-confident in their combat skills being considered very high for unaugmented, "pure" humans while the AM savors machines above natural organisms which undoubtedly could lead to a certain detest for the latter and of course regarding pride in it as being a very silly thing).

Sorry to cram all that stuff into your thread but it's interesting to see how one question leads to another and by deciding on those, the background pretty much writes itself. :)

MorningLightMountain
22-02-2011, 09:24
How about Midas for the planet? Midas was the name of a King in Greek Mythology who made a wish that everything he touched turned to gold, thinking it would make him a rich man. Unfortunately he touched some quite important stuff, like food and drink, and eventually his own daughter who promptly turned to solid gold. Midas for the planet so someone from there would be a Midan

Your planet kind of reminds me of that legend, here they are with this huge wealth but it just brings war and death upon the whole place.

As for the name of the regiment, it should probably at least represent the style of warfare they specialize in, be it mounted, armoured, infantry, drop troops etc.

You mention a link to the Adeptus Mechanicus which suggest they may be mounted (is the air on the Forge World fouled?) so light mounted infantry used to be called Dragoons so you'd have:
(pick a number)
2nd Midan Dragoons

If they're foot-infantry then Phalanx (box shape with shields on outside) and Echelon (Diagonal) are infantry formations with cool names.
2nd Midan Echelon
2nd Midan Phalanx

Greek legends like that are good places to start as they'll all have other names to work with for officers etc. Google the legend of Midas and find out what his son was called and that can be your commander's name.

JManJump
23-02-2011, 05:34
Yeah i understand I'll go with Amalthea cause it has a better over-all meaning gold is not the only metal there its just there is enough of it to make the soilders look cool and stand out from other regiments.
the way the regiment works is not like others regiments, each guardsmen is valued as there are not as many infantry they then other regiments, the planet being a forge world means that they get all the best weapons, veichles and armour before the AM hears about it and cause there are lots of veichles the need for infantry rises but no one wants to go out of their comfort zone just to die there straight away(so they are told by the AM). the point is the emporer is valued but the AM....not so much techpreists are happyer with this forge world and its co-imhaditants (yes i know i spelt it wrong) simply cause its a far better lifestyle then anywhere else.
and before anyone asks yes i have beds for my models ROTFL