PDA

View Full Version : The "Hows", "Whys" and "Whens" of deciding on your new army...

Gav2k
18-02-2011, 09:19
So, what factors come into play when you're deciding your new army?

How: do you decide on aesthetics? How the army plays on the tabletop? What about if you're trying to decise between 2 or 3 armies, how do you decide which to ditch and which to collect?

Why: what motivates your collecting? Is it to be a victor on the field of battle? Or does having well-built and painted models inspire you more?

When: as soon as you have the funds? Once you've completed your current army? Every 6 months? Every year? When the feeling takes you?

I myself am struggling to decide which army to collect next, im stuck between 2!

So what factors come into play when you're going to begin a new Fantasy Force?

wizbix
18-02-2011, 09:24
Is it green?

Do they come with big Choppa's?

Are they fun, with a lot of character, rather than over powered and boring?

There about all the questions i've ever needed to ask myself when choosing an army. No prizes which one I went for.

Edit: I collect because I had a dream. Mork, or maybe Gork came and ordered me to start collecting, whilst I was a sleep one night.

WarmbloodedLizard
18-02-2011, 09:25
How: pragmatic. factors are gameplay/design, units i want in plastic, price (how they look is also imporant, but not as much, because I really like all the armies)

Why: drive to buy things; cheap opportunities; I like variety

When: When funds allow it and I more or less finished collecting+assembling my last army (i.e. I have all the models I want or can easily proxy them). (painted or not doesn't matter)

Morkash
18-02-2011, 09:44
How: Randomly. Like it? Buy it.
Why: Reason was devoured by insanity years ago. Sometimes to expand O&G/WoC/DoW, sometimes the unit just looks awesome. (Ikit as recent example)
When: Well, quite random. The circumstances have to bow, as I will not bow before them.

Ultimate Life Form
18-02-2011, 09:54
How: do you decide on aesthetics? How the army plays on the tabletop?

I started Lizardmen for aesthetics, as well as Vampire Counts (obviously before the new book came out!), and Skaven because their hordiness appealed to me and I wanted an army that plays completely different.

What about if you're trying to decise between 2 or 3 armies, how do you decide which to ditch and which to collect?

There are far too many armies I find aesthetically appealing still. HE, O&G and Daemons are pretty much in a constant state of being slowly built up to army size, and once the mood strikes me, I might continue working on them. But I won't go all-out, as thankfully GW put the strains on my by telling me what they want me to collect and what not via their new pricing policy.

Why: what motivates your collecting? Is it to be a victor on the field of battle? Or does having well-built and painted models inspire you more?

Great models is what keeps me perpetually going, much to my wallet's dismay as GW released some great stuff recently. Painting is far more important to me than playing, let alone winning. My goal is to have a unique, original flavorful force that I created myself and that is an amazing sight to behold.

When: as soon as you have the funds? Once you've completed your current army? Every 6 months? Every year? When the feeling takes you?

When I was in the process of building my armies (yes, pretty much all 3 at the same time), it was 'as soon as I have the funds', but currently, I take take the approach of 'when GW releases a great kit that cathes my eye (not necessarily (but preferably) from my 3 main armies) I may buy one or two'.

Little Joe
18-02-2011, 10:25
How: The first one was the most appealing one to me, the latter ones for different gameplay.

Why: I like modelling and painting more than gaming so it needs to be a challenge, and inspiration is needed.

When: When I started I did only one army. Later I got confused and did many things together, those were chaotic days. Then I woke up and decided my first army didn't look according to my abbilities and went to work on it. I found my skills lacking and went for a new aproach I like very much.
I plan ahead for the next three years as that was about the amount of work I had in boxes (I did get faster but bought a lot more models). First I made a build up plan for the army following my two of everything I want approach and got started. I also sold any distracting models or those I would never start to work upon.
Since I mostly buy second hand these days (because I end up with paying 30% of what GW charges) and the urge to get things is taken away I have three years to try and buy models for less(because I won't start on them before then anyhow). This makes for relaxed hobbying for me and that is verry important as well.

But my next thing will most likely be an other game or collecting models I like from many other companies (more expensive to me but also rewarding). While maybe just updating GW.
Failing that I will go in overload and do brets for aesthetics.

Gav2k
18-02-2011, 10:42
Some good answers here :-p i myself find myself drawn to multiple armies, but can only afford the upkeep of one at a time. Im nearing the completion of my Wood Elves and am trying to decide my next course of armybuilding.

I was originally between Goblins, Lizardmen, Beastmen and Tomb Kings.
I ruled Lizardmen out because I painted a Saurus and discovered that i actually dont like painting them.
A friend of someone in my gaming group collects Goblins. I havent met him but if he was to become part of my gaming group id rather collect something unique.
That leaves Beastmen and Tomb Kings, and im holding out on a decision until i hear more about the TKs impending release!

But, like Wizbix, i sometimes hear the call of the green...

Morkash
18-02-2011, 11:27
The Green call can be mighty! ;)
But even 2 Goblin forces do not have to look the same, not at all. The obvious difference could be a Night Goblin vs a Common/Forest Goblin force, but you could play chariot heavy, all mounted, drown the 'umies in bodies...there are many different playstyles!

Gav2k
18-02-2011, 11:35
The Green call can be mighty! ;)
But even 2 Goblin forces do not have to look the same, not at all. The obvious difference could be a Night Goblin vs a Common/Forest Goblin force, but you could play chariot heavy, all mounted, drown the 'umies in bodies...there are many different playstyles!

This is very true. Im unsure what kind of Gobbos he is focussing on, but ive got a few Night Gobbos (BfSP gobbos) painted up as Sand Gobbos, but thats all i have. It's tough to decide too, i mean... a Beast Warlord, or a Tomb King are tall, intimidating mother truckers, but a goblin warboss? Sure, they can be tough, but a green midget is hardly terrifying lol.

frapermax
18-02-2011, 11:57
How? In this order: versatility, looks, price to get to about 2k with as many options as possible (so basically 3-4k of models)
Why? I expand / collect on the basis of looks mostly.
When? When I feel like it (and have the funds). Got carried away a bit and now I own 10 playable armies (3 fully painted, 5 half painted but slowly progressing). I noticed recently it will be hard to keep up with the new releases/models want, so I might sell 2 armies. Hard decision to make though, but probably inevitable.
fpm

Lord of Divine Slaughter
18-02-2011, 16:18
I've been going through 4 armies to find one that suits my playstyle. But the deciding factor have always been models.

HoC Mortals was my entry, caus Archaon is such a cool model, I sold my first army, when WoC got out, and they got too stale.

WE was my second, as I needed something totally different, and never believed T3 no save models stood a chance.

VC came next, as I wanted to try out something with big regiments and a 'normal' movement phase. The gothic horror look was great, but the playstyle was a bit lacking, and they never really could compete with the woodies for fun.

Then I started up darkies with 8th, and they've got a good mix of woodie guerilla along with ranked regiments. The furious khainites had the brutal savagery of chaos, so they were a great compromise.

I still love my woodies though, and if I hadn't put so much work and money into the VC, I'd consider letting them go.

-

Two armies that have always tempted me have been skaven and empire, but mainly for the looks of guns and artillery and playing a gunline would bore me to death.

-

Two armies I'd never consider would be lizards and high elves. Lizards, dinos and frogs are for adolescent boys, and high elves are just a bunch of dandelioneaters :)

loveless
18-02-2011, 16:28
How: do you decide on aesthetics? How the army plays on the tabletop? What about if you're trying to decise between 2 or 3 armies, how do you decide which to ditch and which to collect?

Surprisingly dependent on the system. In Fantasy, I take both aesthetics and gameplay into account (In 40K it's mostly aesthetics, WM/H is about gameplay (though not always "to win" - usually I like quirky stuff), and Anima is aesthetics and storyline).

Decision points:
- Model quantity v. painting: Once upon a time, I dreamed of playing Empire. Then I started painting the overly detailed Core. I got caught up painting and couldn't stand to dumb down my style to make it worthwhile. I ended up abandoning the project because I didn't want to spend so much time painting 6 point models. Something like Skaven or Orcs come across as much easier to batch paint.
- "Cool" factor: Is there something ridiculously awesome I can do with a unit or character? (ex: Doomwheel, Slaaneshi Magic, Shadow Magic, Skaven Spells of Ruin, pretty much anything else from Skryre, etc.) Is there a model that just has to be fielded due to how awesome it looks? (ex: Khorne Lord on Juggernaught, Sigvald, Queek, Ikit, Wurrzag, Doomwheel, Dreadlord with Great Weapon, Korhil, etc.) The higher the cool factor, the more likely it is to be chosen
- "Crap" factor: Do you have to take a lot of poor-looking or unappealing models to have a functional army? Is there no easy replacement? For instance, Dark Elf Spearelves look horrible and so do Dark Riders. I'd wanted to take several of these, but by the time I'd determined my conversions, I decided it wasn't worth the effort to start the project. I hate Chaos Marauders as well, but luckily Gors and Ungors aren't that bad and can fill in pretty easily. Night Runners look horrible, but aren't necessary for the armies I'd want to run.

A bit of both. I don't want to auto-lose, nor do I want to auto-win. I have to look good playing, though, so the models have to be spiffy.

When I get the urge, mostly. Often when I just need something to change up my current painting lineup. I've been avoiding "new" things as of late - though the new O&G stuff is rekindling my admiration for them, and I'm still battling with starting Dark Eldar in 40K.

Onidan
18-02-2011, 17:09
Well, itīs quite simple actually.

How?
First and foremost the models. If I donīt like the models I wonīt paint them, and my armies spend more time in my showcase than on the battlefield. Fluff is something I consider as well.

Only when I have various armies I like I go the next step down. Now it depends on playstyle. The few times I play I want to have as much variety as possible. I look what playstyles I have available an decide which of my would-be-armies fit best. And if possible it should be no army thatīs allready present in my immediate gaming group.

For example, I own 4 Fantasy armies. All four where choosen because I liked the models they have. The orde in which I got them was dependend on their playstyles.

1.) Lizardmen (bought late 6th edition): Quite balanced with tough units, fast skirmishers, good (if shortranged) shooting and both hardhitting and magic heavy character options.

2.) Dwarves (bought early-mid 7th edition): Slow, but tough. Exceptional and reliable long range shooting. No magic, but good antimagic.

3.) Ogres (bought late 7th edition): Fast and hard hitting but squishier than they seem. Magic is in a purely supportive role. More unreliable than my previous two armies.

4.) Skaven (bought only a few months ago): Fast (both M and I) and very random. Good warmachines that easily go boom. Horde army as opposed to my other rather low to mid model count armies.

Why?
Good question. Mostly for the collecting aspect since, as I said, playing takes a secondary, maybe even tertiary, role for me.

Itīs nice too look at completed units that slowly form a complete army. And itīs nice to see how my painting improves with time.

If an army happens to be good, fine. But thatīs no criteria for me collecting it.

When?
Thatīs something that only recently changed for me.

Up to my initial Skaven purchse it was mostly on whim when I had the money and the urge. For example, I decided to finally begin my Skaven when a friend of mine started his High Elves since we could share the IoB set.

Now Iīm working on buying no new stuff unless I have painted the rest for that army. Maybe Iīll buy a character I might need/want if I completed a few units for that army beforehand.

No bulk buying anymore, though. For that reason (and because my local GW still has some great events like a small monthly 2v2 tourney) I begun buying my stuff from GW directly again. The higher prices stop me from buying too much at once.

And thatīs how you write a small novel about something "simple" ;)

daladzor
18-02-2011, 17:16
How: If i like the models to be honest, lots of decent models .

Why: I enjoy the painting and modelling side most so its nice to see. and I enjoy getting a decent fluff story behind it all. Hence why I am restarting my goblin army and will expand it to orcs eventually, to go with my skaven, and once thats complete will restart my Vampire counts

When: namely when i have the money and when ive painted what i have before. Am refusing to restart the goblins until the very last of my skaven is finished. Not long left untill the skaven are finished only 42 giant rats left to paint then the horde is finished for the time being

Laurela
18-02-2011, 17:44
How: Fluff is the main drive for me in deciding an army.

Why: Winning isn't my main reason when doing an army. I like to build characterful armies with the most I find most appealing.

When: Whenever all my miniatures for a previous army are assembled and painted and I deem that army to be complete (normally around 2.5k points worth)

Fuzzymoldyork
18-02-2011, 18:11

I myself am struggling to decide which army to collect next, im stuck between 2!

So what factors come into play when you're going to begin a new Fantasy Force?

For myself, its a good idea to look at my choosing of an army during two different time periods. Lets start with me between 10 and 5 years ago.

How: My first army was VC and the reason I got it was because of the background and models of Krell and Heinrich Kemmler. I then progressed though a couple of armies, most not completed because I thought it was cool and didn't have the foresight to realize that I don't have the funds to be purchasing another army.

Why: I collected armies during this period for one of two reasons. 1) I got bored with the army i was playing and wanted to give something new a try or 2) OMG SHINNY!!

When: As soon as I could get a ride to my local GW and not a minute later.

Lets take a quick look at my choices more recently:

How: I refuse to purchase another army until I have painted and completed the ones I have (which is a daunting task considering I have three half finished armies for fantasy alone). I have also decided to stick with one army after I have finished the other ones. My plan is to stick with OnG simply for the variety of troops that I can use and the varied playstyle it offers me. I also want an army that my child (SPM willing) will be interested in.

Why: the main reasons I'm collecting it is because the army allows me to create an elite list of bruisers or hordes of crap, plus monsters, artilery, magic, chariots, and comedy. I feel that even if I only have one of each unit it will still give me so many more options than other armies.

When: This army will be built and painted upon the completion of my WoC army (which is 1/10 of the way done), upon completion of my VC (which needs to be completely repainted, but is fully purchased) and upon completion of my HE (which are not even assembled but thankfully half the army is already purchased). My goal is to start working on this army in a years time, but it will most likely take me more than that considering that I also have to paint up 1 lotr army (which is mostly purchased) and 3 40K armies (which are all mostly purchased with one half painted)

As you can see I was a dumb kid that spent way to much money on warhammer

Dante blackfur
19-02-2011, 00:08

How: do you decide on aesthetics? How the army plays on the tabletop? What about if you're trying to decide between 2 or 3 armies, how do you decide which to ditch and which to collect?

Well when I was torn between well 10 of the army s. :p I decided to just work on bretonnia ( I was a History buff. ) then I decided I wanted something a little more fun and weird so I went to DOC, then when IoB, came out I say all the cool pieces that Skaven had, and decided to start them, then of course I had a bunch of HE, looking lonely on my shelf so I started collecting those alongside Skaven

Bretonnia and DoC, where both so I could field a 2k tournament army. Skaven are because I Love the wacky and weird contraptions they have and because they're fun to convert. high elves just because I can. :)

I like to add models to my Skaven when I have funds/time to do it. the other armies are kinda finished/on hold. :)

bluemage
19-02-2011, 00:22
When: when I feel like it and the money is lying around I tend to start a new army, which is a stupid thing to do really, I have way to many armies I won't ever really play or do much with.

Why: eh I'll get bored of an army I'm currently playing and want a change of pace so I'll start a new one. The real problem was that the army I got bored of I shouldn't have started and the new one is just something different and I probably won't like it much either.

What I've started doing now, is I look at and army and read about it. If it seems interesting I'll start coming up with lists and see if I can fit an army I'll enjoy playing inside 2500 points. If I can't, then forget it. Also proxy the army for a couple of battles, might turn out that I don't really enjoy the playstyle. For O&G I was excited until I started building lists and realized that the kind of army I want to run won't fit into 2500. It'll take atleast 3300 points to get it all in.

tezdal
19-02-2011, 01:31
Pick what looks cool, my army picking rule

Johnny_H
19-02-2011, 02:35
A: This is still very much a work in progress, I am relatively new to WFB. I chose Dark Elves, sadly because I was reading the Legend of Drizzt books at the time. I wanted to play fantasy, there were rumours of extensive new model releases so I jumped. I don't regret my choice, but I didn't think it through very much.

A:For me its always been the hobby, I spend far more hours painting, modeling, converting and parading my armies on display than gaming. Though I do enjoy gaming.

When I have the funds and when I have time, school a girlfriend and two jobs keep me very busy.

Tarliyn
19-02-2011, 15:36
How: Pretty much all on the fluff and how the army looks. Play style is a factor too though but for the most part it is how they look that matters. I went with lixards at first because I love their look and dinos are cool. Ogres second cause I love the ogre models themselves. Bulls, ironguts, leadbelchers, the characters, and the maneaters are some of gw best imo both in looks and when it comes to the plastic kits, versatility.

In short, looks and playstyle.

Why: Models are cool :)

Whens: When I get my current army I am working on built I usually let myself start thinking about another one. That being said I have a huge back log of models to paint so I don't know when I will be starting another one.

I really want either High Elves, Tomb Kings, or Orcs though. Can't decide!