PDA

View Full Version : Beasts armies that include mortals

Kayin
30-05-2005, 20:22
Originally I was going to play a mortal army with a few units of beasts for an upcoming tournament, however I aquired a large chunk of beats for relatively cheap and am now contemplating using the mortals for special. the army would look something like this:

(all nurgle)
Doombull
bray shaman
aspiring champion
2 units of 3 minotaurs
2 beast herds
a unit of pestigors
a large unit of warriors
a unit of knights(possibly chosen)

Now I am not questioning the tactical viability of this list, but more the spirit of the army. Basic back story:

Mesarin, an aspiring follower of Nurgle, to further himself in nurgles eyes following closely the actions of of the doombull Blogust the Bloated and his herd of nurgle worshippers. He lends his services until such a time that himself and his close retinue of knights and his own warrior followers can enslave them all to further his cause and place himselg in nurgles favour. Rising up in such a fashion is easier than working with mortals as they are prone to deciet and are less predictable in their actions making for a less trustworthy band of followers, where to win over the beastmen only involves a showing of strength and possibly the besting of their current leader in combat.

Would you find this army to be unbalanced or in blatant disregard of the spirit of the game? Or would you enjoy a game versus these rufians?

Ashdil
30-05-2005, 20:34
I would play it any day!
Beastmen are the "true" children of chaos. Any decent mortal warrior can see that working closer to your god and his creations, is only a good thing. Plus all thoose cosy camp fire's in the deep forests, instead of trying to find a worm to eat on a frozen tundra! :D

The list looks good, but perhaps you would get thoose two minotaur units to 4 each? They will do a much better job that way.

Hell's Angel
30-05-2005, 20:54
Aside from breaking the rules and taking troops you arent allowed to its fine. Are you like me and have a bunch of models you cant use anymore? (Like my mortal/daemon chaos undivided army from the last edition? Ahhh my chariot of slaanesh w/sorcerer who couldnt be targetted by shooting if he was within one foot... I charge! I stand and shoot! You are mesmerized by my beauty, and cannot fire. I think the cheeziest thing I did was stick my battle standard bearer in the chariot also and make it fearless... Ahhh *sniff* it wasnt the prettiest model (I dipped it the other day) but its one that wont be forgotten (by my opponents.) Never again will I know the joy of a turn one unbreakable chariot charge.

Math Mathonwy
30-05-2005, 21:05
Aside from breaking the rules and taking troops you arent allowed to its fine.
What's illegal about it?

Hell's Angel
30-05-2005, 21:28
Beastmen cant have mortals as part of their selection.

Kjell
30-05-2005, 21:38
Beastmen cant have mortals as part of their selection.
Uhm, yes, they can. It works like this:

Daemon general:

Daemons = core
Mortals = special
Beasts = special

Mortal general:

Mortals = core
Daemons = special
Beasts = special

Beast general:

Beasts = core
Daemons = special
Mortals = special

A Daemon character is one with the Daemonic special rule. A Mortal character is a character from the Hordes of Chaos book that does not have the Daemonic special rule. A Beast character is a character from the Beasts of Chaos book without the Daemonic special rule.

A Mortal character can never join a non-Mortal unit and a Beast character can never join a non-Beast unit, in the same way that a Daemonic character cannot join a non-Daemonic unit. But an army led by a Best general can indeed include Mortal units.

Baggers
30-05-2005, 22:18
Well strickly the list is illegal as I dont think he has listed the magic item need to take Mortal units. Then again not actually reading the Beasts of choas book i could be mistaken.

Kjell
30-05-2005, 22:54
Well strickly the list is illegal as I dont think he has listed the magic item need to take Mortal units. Then again not actually reading the Beasts of choas book i could be mistaken.
There is no magic item needed for a Beast general to include Mortal, or Daemonic, units as Special choices.

There is, however, one Daemonic Gift that allows a Daemonic general to pick Mortal units as Core instead of Special, and Daemonic units as Special instead of Core. There's another Daemonic Gift that does the same, but with Beasts instead of Mortals. For some reason it's more expensive. :p It could be because it might because the two Gifts stack with each other, but I'm not sure. I think the two Gifts stack with each other anyway, although I am kind of doubting it.

Note that in these two cases the Daemonic character has to pick Mortal/Beast units as Core and Daemonic units as Special. No mixing, not as far as I know.

Frankly
31-05-2005, 04:46
The only problem I see with a beast armylist using mortals is that they really don't need too.

Deamon flyers are useful and so are khorne chariots(the only two mortal selections I've used and liked).

GodHead
31-05-2005, 05:16
Baggers and Hell's Angel are both wrong. That army would be perfectly fine.

AngelofSorrow
31-05-2005, 07:15
I use mortals in my beast army they are quite the compliment to the lower fighting skills of the beasts. Having a beast herds all over your flanks and Warriors to your front is a scary prospect for your opponents.

Hell's Angel
31-05-2005, 19:53
I'm sorry I was in the wrong. I guess I was confusing the god's marked units with mixing units in general. Yeah taking Knights would be totally fine. Of course I would expect them to be converted into half-beast savages. (That would be fun mixing beastman and Knight Bits...)

MarcoPollo
31-05-2005, 21:37
I like beast with mortals. Mortals tend to be very expensive and beasts tend to be very cheap. You can screen your expensive units from getting shot up with herds and get a full rank of bestigors without too much cost. I also like to include some demons to give a truly mixed feel to the group. Beast chariots make the chaos one obsolete. The only reason to use mortal ones is to put a non-lord in the chariot.

Secondly, the ambush rule can play really well with mortal heavy units. Units like chaos knights and demonettes can really get into the face of an enemy unit. You get the hard hitting units in the front and the big rank in the bank. The beast herd then only attacks regular troopers which it will have a greater impact with since no characters will be able to attack back.

I know that you are using a Doombull, which will run around and get shot up unless you protect him well. If you are using mortals the ld from the doombull may not be as important since mortals have better leadership anyway.

Christina
31-05-2005, 22:39
Then again not actually reading the Beasts of choas book i could be mistaken.

Maybe it's just me, but don't you think you should, like, be famaliar with the Beasts of Chaos book before saying it's ilegal? :)

Hell's Angel
31-05-2005, 22:55
I said it was illegal... I own the book, and I have read it... Maybe my Minotaur Chariots will be based off the chaos chariots... I could make a unit of Minotaurs riding Tusgors as Chaos Knights too... LOL that would be hillarious! :cheese: