PDA

View Full Version : Flame On Tournament

Fallen Angel
29-03-2006, 09:29
We're holding our inaugaral Flame On tournament called "Battle of the Chumps" at Sheffield Gaming Centre in May and want to invite all you lot.

We're running two seperate tournaments to cater for both 40k and fantasy, 40k on Sunday 14th May and fantasy on Sunday 28th May.

reg 9-10
10-10:15 brief
10:15-10:30 quiz
10:30-11:15 game 1
11:30-13:00 game 2
13:00 -2:00 lunch
2:00-4:00 game 3
4:30 - 5:30 MEGA SPEED CARNAGE! (each side has 5 mins a turn - this is real speed gaming!)
5:45 Results and prizes
6:00 home

We're trying for a unique tournament: in the first round its 500 points combat patrol games, the second round 1000pts normal games, and then in the last round its 1500pts (combined out of the 500pts and 1000pts). So you need legal 500pts and 1000pts rosters which can then combine to form a legal 1500pts army. The mega speed carnage is just splitting the entrants in half and then playing on 2 teams with your 500 combat patrols - fun gaming.

Allowed armies are the normal armies straight out of the codices/army books.

Tickets cost 5(!). The gaming centre is 5 minutes walk from Meadowhall Shopping Centre so easy access to food/drink etc with an hour lunch break.

If you would like to attend, phone Stockport GW and ask for Neil on (0161) 474 1427 or ring him on 07900 994935 and ask for Flame On tickets. You can buy them in any GW store but need to let Neil know first off. We only have 36 tickets for each event and they've already started selling (40k especially).

If you have any questions or queries, PM me or email me at chrisgreen32@hotmail.com

Thanks

Chris.

ninjahamster
29-03-2006, 09:35
Yarrrrrr bring it on :)

ninjahamster
30-03-2006, 07:54
Rule packs avaliable here:

http://flameon.co.uk/Battle_Chumps_40k.pdf

http://flameon.co.uk/Battle_Chumps_WFB.pdf

Great Harlequin
30-03-2006, 16:16
Just checking, is this open to everyone or just Flame on types?

All the very bestest,

Fallen Angel
30-03-2006, 16:26
nah, its for absolutely anyone that wants to go to a tournament to have fun.

Great Harlequin
31-03-2006, 11:46
Providing we're free on that day (May's a busy month for me), me and my Dad'll come along.

I love the sound of the Mega Speed Carnage game, though my Dad isn't so keen! ;)

Fallen Angel
31-03-2006, 20:50
excellent. Just make sure you buy a ticket or two soon or they'll run out!!

I would like a ticket ...have just rung the Manchester store and they say I have to come to the store...which is not really achievable

Can you reserve me a ticket

Thanks

Gus

Fallen Angel
01-04-2006, 09:59
sorted that out now.

Great Harlequin
01-04-2006, 11:12
Fate's shone on us it seems, so if you could reserve me and my Dad a ticket that'd be grand.

One question about how the two armies go together, specifically for Ulthwe players:

One has to take a Black Guardian unit in the Combat Patrol force. So, in my 1000 points army, do I count that unit as already counting towards my compulsory Guardian units, thus meaning I have only one Black Guardian unit in my 1000 points army, or do I get an additional Black Guardian unit?

All the very bestest,

Fallen Angel
01-04-2006, 11:22
If you would like to attend, phone Stockport GW and ask for Neil on (0161) 474 1427 or ring him on 07900 994935 and ask for Flame On tickets. You can buy them in any GW store but need to let Neil know first off. We only have 36 tickets for each event and they've already started selling (40k especially).

I point you at this - i cant reserve tickets for anybody sadly. Just ring Neil and save him from saturday GW nursery doom.

As for your rules question, the 500pts is combat patrol rules really so you dont have to take anything compulsory bar the normal 1 troops requirement. For the sake of simplicity and the fact i dont have a eldar codex with me, do whichever you feel the most happy with!! As long as you only have two black guardian units in any of the three lists, it should be fine. If you want to take two, one or no black guardian units in the combat patrol, its up to you.

Great Harlequin
01-04-2006, 12:06
I point you at this - i cant reserve tickets for anybody sadly. Just ring Neil and save him from saturday GW nursery doom.
Sorted.

It appears my fame has spread for when my Dad started talking with him, Neil said "You must be Great Harlequin's Dad"! He went on to say how Carnage as the first thing Richard's won (and hence it was nice of me to give him the trophy...etc.), and that usually they play at the top tables in the last game and how he tends to come out on top!

Looking forward to this, and I'll sort out my Guardian units at a later date, I'm trying to decide whether to purchase a Falcon or not.

All the very bestest,

Spookeh
01-04-2006, 18:45
"The first is a 500pt combat patrol using the army selected.
The second is a standard 1000pt battle.

The third will see gamers combining their 500pt and 1000pt to create a LEGAL 1500pt force and battle with this."

so u need 1 troop in 500, and 2 troops in 1000, so the combination 1500 needs 3 troops. so that also means u can only have 1 HQ in your 1000, if you have a HQ in the 500 (which u dont have to) etc.

I was going to ask the same question as Great Harlequin.

The Basic Question is do you have to join the 500 pt list and the 1000 pt list exactly as they are to form the 1500 pt list or are allowed to restructure the models to form a legal 1500 pt list

Using marines as an example.

I could have a combat patrol force of 4 separate Speeders as 4 separate FA choices plus a couple of Tactical squads to make up 500 pts

In the 1000 points I could include 2 Speeders as separate FA choices.

If I merged th lists exactly I would have 6 separate FA choices and the army would be illegal, but I could split the 6 speeders into 3 x 2 Speeder FA choices and this would be Legal.

For Ulthwe I could have a black guardian squad in the CP and 2 x BG in the 1000 pts. For the 15 hundred points I would have 3 BG suads. This is illegal.

I am sure there are lots of other examples of similar issues.

So do the 500 and 1000 lists merge exactly or can the models in the 500 and 1000pt lists be re-distributed to make a legal 1500pts ??

Fallen Angel
01-04-2006, 19:49
No redistribruting or restructuring. THey occupy the same space in both the combat patrol or 1000pts as they do in 1500pts.

Two FA choices in combat patrol and one in 1000pts will equal three in 1500pts. You can't form squadrons of landspeeders if you have three seperate in combat patrol and three seperate in 1000pts.

Spookeh
01-04-2006, 19:50
no u can't have 4 fast attack slots in combat patrol
no u can't restructure the lists when you combine them, you need to add them exactly

full force org is this:

HQ
HQ

Elite
Elite
Elite

Troops
Troops
Troops
Troops
Troops
Troops

Fast Attack
Fast Attack
Fast Attack

Heavy Support
Heavy Support
Heavy Support

the combat patrol must have one of those troops.
the 1000 pts must have 2 of those troops and 1 of the HQ.

so the force org selections that are already decided for you are like this:

HQ
Troops
Troops
Troops

those 4 options are already used up in the 500 and the 1000. the rest of your lists can be built with whatever stuff you want, so long as its within the FOC in all 3 games.

Spookeh
01-04-2006, 19:58
also you can't push points between lists, eg have a 497 pt and a 1003 list... both need to be seperately legal and under the limit, and also legal when combined without adjustment.

[QUOTE=Spookeh]no u can't have 4 fast attack slots in combat patrol

Officially you can, the only rule for Combat Patrol is one troops choice...at least that is how it was played at the GW Doubles Tourney.

But you are quite correct in this Tourney as the Structure rolls up into the 1500 pt army

Thanks for the clarification on the Structure, I now know exactly what to design.

This is quite an interesting challenge....nice twist guys

Fallen Angel

Confused...

You posted you would reserve a ticket then, pointed at the the Ticket sales,

Can you confirm if you have reserved a ticket..I don't want to end up with 2 !!

Will ring Neil Sunday anyway

Regards

Spookeh
02-04-2006, 08:29
yea i didnt notice that actually. but anyway you cant carry those 4 FA slots over into the 1500 combination, so the combat patrol can't have more slots than the normal FOC

Fallen Angel
02-04-2006, 10:04
yeah sorry. I PM'd you saying to ring Neil then changed the initial post and replied with sorted.

Just give Neil a ring.

Great Harlequin
02-04-2006, 11:39
Officially you can, the only rule for Combat Patrol is one troops choice...at least that is how it was played at the GW Doubles Tourney.

Huh? :eyebrows:

At the last Doubles I went to they dropped people points for not following the force organisation chart.

I'll look into this.

All the very bestest,

EDIT: Btw, you all swapping armies again?

Ticket sorted thanks

Spookeh
04-04-2006, 10:07
EDIT: Btw, you all swapping armies again?

maybe.. it'll be the first tournament most of us play since the release of the new tau codex, so i might pull rank and get the blue fellas back from whoever has them by then :)

on the other hand, i dont want to try and powergame hard in a tournament we're running, its not very polite i think... so i might take marines, something weak & quick to play with :P its a fast attack list, made mostly with chris's models, yarr :D

doing that means matt (angel's wing) can't use my bike librarian for his blood angels, and chris (fallen angel) can't use his speeders as i'll have nicked them, bwhah. but, they've got other stuff to use so meh :P

my toxg drop pod marines probably won't be built by then, definately wont be painted, but i doubt i'd have them assembled. hmm i supposed i'd have 2 weeks in may to build ~30 infantry and knock up some stand-in pods out of sections of pipe or something lol

btw, inspired by warseer's tale of 8 gamers, Flame On is doing our own one, called Tale of X Gamers (wow) with 6 months to build it and take it to the GT heats in oct/nov. flameon.co.uk for more info. its not really started yet, start is the 17th april.

Great Harlequin
04-04-2006, 11:12
on the other hand, i dont want to try and powergame hard in a tournament we're running, its not very polite i think... so i might take marines, something weak & quick to play with :P its a fast attack list, made mostly with chris's models, yarr :D
Yeah, perhaps powergaming isn't the way to go, but don't be too hard on yourself! I might bring the same list I brought to the Carnage tournament, or depending on whether I can get some other units (perhaps my Dark Reapers) done in time I'll bring those along. I wouldn't consider the army I took to Carnage as very 'powergamey' though.

btw, inspired by warseer's tale of 8 gamers, Flame On is doing our own one, called Tale of X Gamers (wow) with 6 months to build it and take it to the GT heats in oct/nov. flameon.co.uk for more info. its not really started yet, start is the 17th april.
I'll register and have a look - you really don't know what you've got yourself into, do you? :p

All the very bestest,

Master Jeridian
06-04-2006, 20:08
I like the Flame On format because it absolutely d***s on Iron Warriors.

They have to have 3 Troops choices instead of the predictable min/max two compulsories.

And the Combat Patrol means a 500pts chunk of the 1500pts army will not consist of Obliterators, Daemon Princes and Tanks.

It is definitely refreshing that IW's (and many other armies) have to actually think about what to take, rather than copy and paste the same net lists.

Anyway, here's an example army under the Flame On rules (not that I'm taking it, honest).

Combat Patrol 500pts

Troops

Tactical Squad 6xMarines. 2xPlasmaguns.
-Razorback Twin-lascannon, smoke.

-Razorback Twin-lascannon, smoke.

Fast Attack

Land Speeder Tornado

1000pts Army List

HQ

Captain - Bolt pistol, power sword, combat shield.
-Command Squad- 9xMarines. Bolters. 2xPlasmaguns. Vet.Sgt- Bolt pistol, power fist.
-Rhino APC- Storm bolter, extra armour, smoke.

Troops

-Razorback Twin-lascannon, extra armour, smoke.

Tactical Squad 6xMarines. 2xPlasmaguns. Vet.Sgt- Bolt pistol, power fist.
-Razorback Twin-heavy bolter, smoke.

Heavy Support

Vindicator Demolisher cannon, storm bolter, dozer blade, smoke, extra armour.

Whirlwind Multiple missile launcher.

Remember, you can always have lists below the pts limit. My 1500pts list usually has extra armour on the top two Razorbacks but I couldn't fit that in in the Combat Patrol list.

Spookeh
07-04-2006, 09:50
yea, some armies don't fit. seer council as well, they can put the vypers and guardians in the 500, but that gimps the 1000 pt'er if 2/3rds or more of it is tied up in the council, which is good.

and necrons get boned by it as well, due to phase out problems

tau fit really well though, you dont even have to change the list much (as long as u didnt have pathfinders), as the skimmers go in the 1000 pts and the suits in 500. the suits kill everything else you're allowed at combat patrol really well, and people can't deal with 3+ skimmers at 1000, woo!

chaos/marines don't need to worry too much, they need adjusted but can still work.

Great Harlequin
07-04-2006, 17:51
yea, some armies don't fit. seer council as well, they can put the vypers and guardians in the 500, but that gimps the 1000 pt'er if 2/3rds or more of it is tied up in the council, which is good.
You noticed that, did you? :skull:

I may have to buy some more Vypers to fill in my Combat Patrol list. Another issue is that all my hard stuff that can't be used in Combat Patrol, such as Wraithlords, have Bright Lances, which means I'm short on a lot of my Starcannon firepower in my 1000 point game!

I think I have a solution, but I've yet to tinker around with it properly.

Your Tau should be pretty dominant in the 1000 point area, people will have to being enough firepower to bear to bring them down before they start shooting.

All the very bestest,

Spookeh
08-04-2006, 09:32
gonna start using disruption-pods on my tanks now i think, to prevent 'first turn penetrates' and also 'stunned then penetrated next turn'

which is what tends to kill them, tbh. i'm sure you have a similar hatred of this happening on your eldar skimmers. tau can now count as obscured against shooting from more than 12" away, for 5 pts! woot.

Great Harlequin
08-04-2006, 11:20
gonna start using disruption-pods on my tanks now i think, to prevent 'first turn penetrates' and also 'stunned then penetrated next turn'

which is what tends to kill them, tbh. i'm sure you have a similar hatred of this happening on your eldar skimmers. tau can now count as obscured against shooting from more than 12" away, for 5 pts! woot.
Yes, as there's never enough terrain to hide everything behind. Plus, with the increasing amount of Alpha Legion players, one can be easily outflanked. This is what makes me doubt a Falcon's use, as although it's formidable on the move, if it were to be downed in the first turn then I'd lose 200 or so points.

It also causes issues for my Banshees, as they're effectively put out of the game if the Wave Serpent is destroyed early on. They count as being pinned, and from then on they're usually too far away from the enemy to form an effective assault without them being caught out in the open, facing incredible amounts of firepower. And at sixteen points a pop - that hurts. :(

For five points, those disruption-pods are a real steal.

Spookeh
10-04-2006, 11:33
its not just the terrain, you can hide them all you like and still get killed by indirect ordnance.

i had a game at yorkshire open final, where i hid my tank behind a size 3 hill in the far corner. an defiler with indirect dropped bombs on it, and it was frickin immobilised. it was still alive though as he got first turn, it just couldn't see /anything/ because it was totally hidden. d'oh!
also a tri-las pred killed another HH with the 2nd shot of the game, and it was over from there. grr.

d-pods would have helped on both of those tanks and may have saved one.

the 5 pts is well worth it, especially as it works in conjunction with decoy launchers, as if you get a penetrating '5', the tank dies.
but, with dpods i count as obscured, and if i pass the 4+ roll, it turns into a glancing '5', which also kills it, but with the decoy launchers i can get you to re-roll, so it comes up as some other glancing result. pixie tricks ahoy! well worth the points.

Master Jeridian
08-05-2006, 21:47
The Flame On 40k Tournament is this Sunday, hopefully a fun day of gaming. Looking forward to the unusual tactics of a 500pts Combat Patrol and 1000pts game, since 1500pts is such a common pts limit it almost becomes routine.

Maybe some pics may come of the tourney, too..

Great Harlequin
09-05-2006, 19:37
Yes, it should be good, though I haven't really decided on my army yet... :rolleyes: