PDA

View Full Version : Blood Brides vs Incubi

rcm2216
16-04-2011, 08:19
Now that the codex has been out for a while, what is the verdict as to how these two units in comparison to one another in competitive play?

marv335
16-04-2011, 08:55
Despite being around 10pts more expensive each, for that elites slot, incubi are better.
the 3+ save plus the +1S power weapons are nasty against MEQ, and with the high I shouldn't be taking much in return after they've dished it out.
With Bloodbrides, you're almost always better off taking a unit of Wyches instead, granted, you lose an attack, but you can get more of them, so for the same points, you have the same amount of attacks, but more bodies to cope with combat losses.
That said, I field Bloodbrides, but that's for thematic reasons rather than competitive.

rcm2216
16-04-2011, 09:06
Despite being around 10pts more expensive each, for that elites slot, incubi are better.
the 3+ save plus the +1S power weapons are nasty against MEQ, and with the high I shouldn't be taking much in return after they've dished it out.
With Bloodbrides, you're almost always better off taking a unit of Wyches instead, granted, you lose an attack, but you can get more of them, so for the same points, you have the same amount of attacks, but more bodies to cope with combat losses.
That said, I field Bloodbrides, but that's for thematic reasons rather than competitive.

Which do you believe have a more universal use in regards to being able to take multiple types of units. You say Incubi hurt MEQ very well, this I believe, but what has been your experience with the Blood Brides.

Sami
16-04-2011, 11:16
Incubi are an offensive assault unit with power weapons and no grenades.

Wyches are a defensive assault unit with splinter pistols, assault grenades and 4++ in CC.

"Better" depends on what you want your unit to do. Butchering generic MEQ? Incubi. Hordes? Wyches. Vehicles? Wyches (providing you take the Haywire grenades upgrade or a sarge with blast pistol). Tarpitting? Wyches. Wyches are far more useful than Incubi in most circumstances, but the 1 thing Incubi do (punching through armour), they do far better than Wyches could ever dream of.

Of course, both are beaten by the amazing combo of Blaster Trueborn in a 2xSC Venom. Which is why you generally always pack your elite slots with them, and if you want some CC then bring regular Wyches or Beasts. The only time I used Bloodbrides was when supporting a HQ, as you can take 3 upgrades with 9 models. Wyches are stuck with 2 for 10, meaning if you want to attach a HQ and put them in a Raider you're down to a single upgrade.

SgtTaters
16-04-2011, 18:27
Now that the codex has been out for a while, what is the verdict as to how these two units in comparison to one another in competitive play?

Blood Brides do something a troop choice can do. There's really little situation where a raider full of bloodbrides would have made a drastic difference over a raider full of wyches.
Incubi do something only Incubi can do. They have an advantage in being more unique.

But really both are not as crucial as the tank stunning team of venom trueborn.

Rabid Bunny 666
17-04-2011, 03:06
I prefer Incubi. Whilst Bloodbrides are cheaper and can throw out a grotesque amount of attacks to whittle down the enemy whilst tarpitting its not what I need in my army, a 10 model unit of Wyches does that job, only with less attacks. A small Incubi squad to accompany Malys is what I need, a combat unit that is resilient, hits fast and kills stuff dead. The main factor is the Klaives, A unit of 5 Incubi with S4 power weapons at I5, with a Klaivex with Demi Klaives is versatile enough to put most dedicated assault squads down.

Paedan
17-04-2011, 07:55
Incubi are an offensive assault unit with power weapons and no grenades.

I think the Incubi were "designed" to go with an Archon who can provide the Phantasm Grenade Launcher.

Personally I think the Elites slot should be reserved for Incubi (with an Archon or Special Character) and Trueborn (on Venoms), and just use Wyches instead of Bloodbrides if you want a Wych-type unit. Even though the Bloodbrides have more attacks, remember that the Wyches count as Troops.

LonelyPath
17-04-2011, 12:20
I field Bloodbrides for the simple fact they suit the theme of my army more, but I do lean towards Incubi being the better unit choice. I do have a squad of them that will be painted eventually, but I'm in no hurry since I have plenty of models I do use that need painting first.