PDA

View Full Version : A Tale of Four Gamers

Kargos Bloodspit
31-05-2005, 13:48
I know we started that whole Tale of X gamers thing on the last portent. I think its about time we ressurected this thing. Start a fresh. Considering after a while nobody posted. Anyone up for it?

£50 first month
then £25 following.

for all in usa thats:
$91.1349 (round down to 90$?) first month.
and: $45.5674 (round down to $45) following.

So who else is up for it?

Lavfluris
31-05-2005, 13:51
I am.

After making a bull's up of the Oracle version, I am very keen to rectify my mistake.

Personally, I would up the values to £60.00 and £30.00, which takes into account how the prices have changed.

Pertinax
31-05-2005, 13:54
I'll join in. Should be entertaining.

Lavfluris
31-05-2005, 13:55
One gamer to go. ;)

Badgobbla
31-05-2005, 14:03
Erm, I would like to, but I started DA a short while ago. I already painted 5 marines and a razorback. I also bought a few bitz and bobs:
- combat squad with razorback
- 1 terminator sergeant
- 5 scouts
- space marine battle force
- 40 DA chapter badges
- Ezekiel

EDIT So, if that's ok with you guys I'll buy nothing for the first two months?

Oliver
31-05-2005, 14:03
I would like to join in but I guess we have to supply our own money so I can’t. I would like to know though where is this going to be published.

Kargos Bloodspit
31-05-2005, 14:22
May as well make it the first article for oracles replacement. :)

We can also have our own individual blogs which will be updated a bit more often than the Oracle's replacement.

Badgobbla
31-05-2005, 15:04
Do you know a site where we could maybe all blog together? I don't know any sites for blogging and I haven't done this before.

Kargos Bloodspit
31-05-2005, 15:47
I usually use: http://www.blogger.com/start

Its pretty simple. And we can also define our own templates (which i'll be doing just becuase I can...) , or use the ones already there.

Lavfluris
31-05-2005, 16:00
So we have myself and Kargos Bloodspit in the UK, Pertinax in Norway and Badgobbla somewhere else (I think he is in Norway also), so there goes the idea of getting us all to meet up at the end for a large game. Unless of course we tie our game into an big GW event held either here in the UK or Norway.

But yes, using a joint Blog for all four of us will work, otherwise getting involved with the new Oracle, although I feel a biy of deja vu.

Badgobbla, I would allow you to use your already purchased models. Just use the prices at the time of going to press.

Time to decide between Imperial Guard and Tyranids, hordes and hordes of models. :D

Kargos Bloodspit
31-05-2005, 16:23
So we have myself and Kargos Bloodspit in the UK, Pertinax in Norway and Badgobbla somewhere else (I think he is in Norway also), so there goes the idea of getting us all to meet up at the end for a large game. Unless of course we tie our game into an big GW event held either here in the UK or Norway.

How about we do a year of collecting or more (thats gunna be one hell of a large army each... so that should mean we'll get a decent battle of sorts). Then we could do it over the summer of 2006? Perhaps set ourselves a table aside from everyone else at one of the Carnage Tournaments as a showcase?

Anyway, I think i'll finally get round to re-collecting my chaos (i collected them as my first army... lets just say they suffer a bit from lumpy paint disease).

Lavfluris
31-05-2005, 16:58
How about we do a year of collecting or more (thats gunna be one hell of a large army each... so that should mean we'll get a decent battle of sorts).I'd try to stick to five months, which is more feasible as some of us may lost interest by then. If we all wish to continue then we will, for another five months and so on.

Each five month period could be split into one £60.00 investment and four £30.00 investments, to keep things going and adding some variation.

Chris_Tzeentch
31-05-2005, 16:59
I am up for it - I am going to go for a new Thousand Sons army.

Tale of 5 (or more) Gamers perhaps????

Lavfluris
31-05-2005, 18:10
Tale of 5 (or more) Gamers perhaps????If we can get four people from the UK and four people from Norway, then we could get together for team games in Warhammer World.

Sgt John Keel
31-05-2005, 18:21
If we can get four people from the UK and four people from Norway, then we could get together for team games in Warhammer World.

I'd join. In September, as I wouldn't get any money during the summer. I'm not from Norway, but close enough. ;)

/Adrian

f2k
31-05-2005, 18:26
Well, I’m ready… if you want another participant…

Lavfluris
31-05-2005, 18:41
I'm not from Norway, but close enough. ;) Well, four Scandanavians will do.

If we go with this plan, we have...

TEAM UK
Kargos Bloodspit (Scotland).
Lavfluris (England).
Chris_Tzeentch (Wales, last time I looked anyway ;)).
Tenoch (England).

TEAM SCANDANAVIA
Pertinax (Norway).
Sgt John Keel (Sweden).
f2k (Denmark).
Badgobbla (Norway, I believe...).

Essentially it is two seperate Tale of Four Gamers, but in the end, we all meet up in Warhammer World (or somewhere similar). Doing two Tale of Four Gamers and getting them to work side by side also means we can cater for the number of people who have signed up so far.

Tenoch
31-05-2005, 18:44
I'm game for it

Lavfluris
31-05-2005, 18:51
Okay, as Tenoch has joined us, time to propose some rules.

From July 1st, we get are allowed to spend a fixed amount of money on our chosen 40K army every month. We will be aiming towards upwards of 1500pts on our armies. In the first month this value is £60.00 or it's equivilent, and the next four months (August, September, October and November) we are allowed to spend only £30.00 per month.

In December, the two groups will try to meet up among themselves and run a series of games (Team UK meets in Nottingham and Team Scan meets in an agreeable location). If the eight players decide that the five months is enough, we will attempt tp all meet up in December or Janurary, rather than in our two groups.

If the eight players decide to continue, then on January 1st, all players can spend another £60.00 on their armies and may spend up to £30.00 per month (Febuary, March, April and May) on their armies. In June, we all meet up.

Well, that's my grand proposal. ;)

EDIT: The reason I have proposed for us to start in July is because it gives us a month to decide whether or not we really want to go ahead with this.

Tenoch
31-05-2005, 18:54
Sounds good, especially with xmas hols, that should make it feasible.

f2k
31-05-2005, 18:56
TEAM SCANDANAVIA
Pertinax (Norway).
Sgt John Keel (Sweden).
f2k (Finalnd, I believe...).
Badgobbla (Norway, I believe).

Actually, I’m Danish…

f2k goes to change his location settings…

From July 1st, we get are allowed to spend a fixed amount of money on our chosen 40K army every month,

July is fine with me…

Lavfluris
31-05-2005, 19:00
Actually, I’m Danish…I apologise. :o

Another though has been to allow FW products, as some of us may struggle to spend the full amount of money £360 on an army.

Tenoch
31-05-2005, 19:02
Yes please do, and besides it'll be dull to read...

Month 1
Tenoch:
This month I have decided to buy...kroot carnivores

Month 2
Tenoch:

Month 3
Tenoch:

Month 4
Tenoch:

and so on

Kargos Bloodspit
31-05-2005, 19:03
TEAM UK
Kargos Bloodspit (England).

thats Scotland i thankyou very much :p

Great Harlequin
31-05-2005, 19:14
And if there's a spare slot in there I wouldn't mind tagging along.

f2k
31-05-2005, 19:17
I apologise. :o

Another though has been to allow FW products, as some of us may struggle to spend the full amount of money £360 on an army.

All’s forgiven… :p

What rules are we going to use? FW, AC, Lost Founding, …?

As this is just for fun, I’d say we allow all that’s been in an official publication – that is: all FW and GW websites and publications. Does anyone have a problem with this? Some of the more wacky lists might be slightly unbalanced.

As in: even more unbalanced than your average codex… :D

Lavfluris
31-05-2005, 19:22
Does anyone have a problem with this? Some of the more wacky lists might be slightly unbalanced.I see no problem with this as I am thinking of some Valkyries and Vultures... Tale of Four Gamers is about fun, so I have no objections.

Wez
31-05-2005, 19:31
If you want another person/ someone drops out/ it gets changed to "A tale of X gamers" (like it did last time), I'll be doing a nid army...

-Wez

f2k
31-05-2005, 19:46
I see no problem with this as I am thinking of some Valkyries and Vultures... Tale of Four Gamers is about fun, so I have no objections.
The only problem I can see is the cost of FW models. All the FW models, except perhaps a few items like ork gubbins or LR turrets, would take at least 2 months of the budget…

Lavfluris
31-05-2005, 19:52
The only problem I can see is the cost of FW models. All the FW models, except perhaps a few items like ork gubbins or LR turrets, would take at least 2 months of the budget…Simple, you save a month's worth of money or use one of the £60.00 month (July or January). ;)

Tenoch
31-05-2005, 19:57
I know some months there is no way i will be spending the full £30 just because it wouldn't be feasible (what with kroot costing £18 a box, i cant buy two boxes and will be avoiding the horrible metal shapers) which would allow me to save up a tenner every other month, which wcould be put with another month to buy a great knarloc, or gnarloc riders for instance. Forgeworld can be not so bad with some of its prices, its just there are more than a few exceptions.

Sgt John Keel
31-05-2005, 20:12
Actually I'm stupid. I'd much rather do a fantasy version, so I'm not sure I'm on this. Sorry.

/Adrian

Pertinax
31-05-2005, 20:35
Badgobbla, by the way, is not in Scanda at all. He is infact in Belgium.

Not that I want to kick him out of Team Scanda or anything, but we might have to redefine teams...

I am ready for whatever comes my way. I have no idea what army to do. I have too many projects going as it is. So another one should not make any difference...

Bring it on!

:D

Sgt John Keel
31-05-2005, 20:55
Whatever. If you guys could wait for September I'll join team Tundra! (Or that I'm allowed to lag behind two months.)

Additionally, It'd be perfect if we held the end game in Bergen.

/Adrian

Lavfluris
31-05-2005, 22:49
Additionally, It'd be perfect if we held the end game in Bergen.Team Scan's group games can take place in Bergen, but the grand finale between Team Scan and Team UK should ideally take place in Warhammer World, the most fitting place on Earth.

I shall create a proper rundown of my idea so that we all know what is what. No doubt some people may change their mind after this, which is cool, they can continue with a different Tale of Four Gamers.

redemptionist15
31-05-2005, 23:39
Put me down as a standby guy. I will be doing either Marines or Daemonhunters.

Tenoch
31-05-2005, 23:53
Maybe the final could be scheduled to coincide with a Carnage tournament?

So that there will primarily be TOXG people playing aswell as newcomers to make it more interesting

Lavfluris
01-06-2005, 07:52
Right, this evening I will be posting my idea in as much detail as I possibly can. Anyone who does not wish to be involved in my Tale of Eight Gamers can remain here with the Tale of Four Gamers thread and continue this idea.

I will be making a new thread for the Tale of Eight Gamers as it is quite different to the Tale of Four Gamers, so keep an eye out for that.

Remember, only vouch an interest if you can commit to collectin an army for five to ten months and then may have to travel a fair distance, whether it's from the UK to Bergen, or from Scandanavia to Nottingham. :)

f2k
01-06-2005, 07:55
Simple, you save a month's worth of money or use one of the £60.00 month (July or January). ;)

What I’m concerned about is the pounds/points relation. If you use too many pounds on FW products – would it not mean that you end up with fewer points than the rest of us. A Valkyrie is what, somewhere around 100 – 140 points, for 2 months of the budget. A single month’s budget could get me 200+ points of Terminators.
So, after 2 months you have less than half of the points that I have…

Lavfluris
01-06-2005, 07:58
So, after 2 months you have less than half of the points that I have…That is done to the player themselves to make that decision. If they spend on FW products, they will have to work in other places to make up the points.

Anyway, after looking at it, I may struggle to make 1500pts with Imperial Guard in the first five months as it is, so no FW vehicle kits and a certainty to keeping this going until June. ;)

Sgt John Keel
01-06-2005, 08:29
Then I'm out. There's no way I can afford a trip to Nottingham.

/Adrian

Kargos Bloodspit
01-06-2005, 08:34
Anyway, after looking at it, I may struggle to make 1500pts with Imperial Guard in the first five months as it is, so no FW vehicle kits and a certainty to keeping this going until June. ;)

1500pts? i can probably afford to underspend some months. Unless I go OTT on conversions. Which I might just do... Expect me to have 2 defilers :evilgrin:

Pertinax
01-06-2005, 08:38
Can't we just make legal armies, and then play pounds match, not points?

;)

Badgobbla
01-06-2005, 10:17
OK, as Pert said I'm from Belgium, but wouldn't mind making some trips to play tourneys.

Actually I plan to go to Norway in march 2006 to play in their Winter War and to Nottingham in october/november for a heat of the GT.

If Pert can (maybe) he'll come to Belgium in october for a Fanatic tourney, so maybe we can work around that.

alterion
01-06-2005, 10:43
wqell i would liike to do something in september.. but I think on balance i won't join a tale of 4 gamers.. i may set up a blog about collecting my new army though.. to motivate me to actually do it... ( my current ig ac is turing very much ino a hobby project thtat i would never be able to field.. but i wanna get back into gaming )

Fusion
01-06-2005, 11:33
*Puts hand up*

Hello there, chaps. I'm coming to the UK around the 20th(ish) of December, AND I have a (semi)disposable income.

If no one objects, and if there is a space, I'll join up.

Suuuure, I might live in OZ, but you'll still get all the picks and such of me losing games and whatnot. Of course, I've got a thesis coming up, but seriously, what's more important? I think you all know the answer to that foolish question!

Easy E
01-06-2005, 18:09
What about us Yanks?

Thud
01-06-2005, 18:17
I'd definately be up for something like this... It suits nicely as I am just starting up with a Tyranid army and getting a chance to beat the snot outta Lav's puny guys is something I won't pass up on.

I hope...

I might be called in for mandatory military service, but I'll just have to convince my CO at boot camp that it's for strategic and tactical purposes. :p

Lavfluris
01-06-2005, 18:38
What about us Yanks?If any Americans wish to travel to Warhammer World in the UK, then you may join in.

Now I have a clear idea of what will happen with the Tale of Eight Gamers, I will shortly make a thread deciated to it. There will be no teams now, just eight individuals who will collect their armies and then travel to Warhammer World in December or January for a week of wargaming.

Anyone who doesn't want to be involved can still post in this thread and continue with Kargos' original idea. ;)

f2k
01-06-2005, 18:53
If any Americans wish to travel to Warhammer World in the UK, then you may join in.

Now I have a clear idea of what will happen with the Tale of Eight Gamers, I will shortly make a thread deciated to it. There will be no teams now, just eight individuals who will collect their armies and then travel to Warhammer World in December or January for a week of wargaming.

Anyone who doesn't want to be involved can still post in this thread and continue with Kargos' original idea. ;)
In December or January? Bugger!

That’s in the middle of one of my, way to many, test-periods at uni.

Also, a whole week? As if collecting a brand new army isn’t enough… Don’t get me wrong – I like the idea. But even if I had some spare time around x-mas, I would probably be hard pressed to finance an army and a week abroad. Unless, of course, some sort of super-cheap accommodation could be arranged…

Ahh well, it seems that I’m out of it… bugger…

Pertinax
01-06-2005, 19:08
Dec is bad for me. It's the busiest time of work at the shop.

Jan would be better, but not ideal.

Feb is WW3 (most likely)

Tenoch
01-06-2005, 19:14
I'm out aswell if it can't be reduced to a weekend.

Lavfluris
01-06-2005, 19:23
Okay, I have settled on having the grand finale in January and only lasting four days (Friday to Monday), which has more chance of working.

Once Pert has seen the ideas, I'll post them up.

Badgobbla
02-06-2005, 07:09
Feb is WW3 (most likely)

Hrm, that's gonna be some flying for me in a short while.

But I do like the idea better of the eight gamers coming to Warhammer World for some fun. Only thing I'd like to know is how you're gonna fill four days with battles between 8 guys?

Tenoch
02-06-2005, 08:32
JUst saturday and sunday, having arrived on friday evening, and leaving monday morning/late sunday

Kargos Bloodspit
02-06-2005, 09:05
Okay, I have settled on having the grand finale in January and only lasting four days (Friday to Monday), which has more chance of working.

Once Pert has seen the ideas, I'll post them up.

Thats gunna be pushing it. Better be early january. I may be busy with Uni work then.

Chris_Tzeentch
02-06-2005, 09:52
I got my professional accountancy exam finals in December too, so January will be better.

Lavfluris
02-06-2005, 10:12
But I do like the idea better of the eight gamers coming to Warhammer World for some fun. Only thing I'd like to know is how you're gonna fill four days with battles between 8 guys?The original idea was a series of one one one games so that we played each other at least once, a knockout tournament and then a huge multi-player game. That's enough to fill seven days, though we would have probably gone with just the multi-player game for the four days and some one on one games.

After speaking with Pertinax, we have both finally decided on having the grand finale at Warhammer World in March, which happens to be the time of the second Carnage Tournament, so for a lot of people, it'll be two trips made into one. Because of this, we will be allowed to spend up to an extra £60.00 over the other two months.

Kargos Bloodspit
02-06-2005, 10:27
After speaking with Pertinax, we have both finally decided on having the grand finale at Warhammer World in March, which happens to be the time of the second Carnage Tournament, so for a lot of people, it'll be two trips made into one. Because of this, we will be allowed to spend up to an extra £60.00 over the other two months.

March. So does that mean we wont be doing it in January? Because I dont think January was the best of ideas :p

Lavfluris
02-06-2005, 10:28
So does that mean we wont be doing it in January?Correct.

Might mean you finally attend. ;)

Lavfluris
02-06-2005, 10:42
I have put up my own thread here (http://www.portent.net/forums/showthread.php?p=48524#post48524), so anyone wishing to join me may do so.

This thread is about to be locked by Pertinax so that newer small threads dedicated to other ideas may be made, rather than one large mess of a thread.

Thanks.