PDA

View Full Version : Where are the US GT's?

Grey Man
03-04-2006, 15:28
By this time last year there had been several GT's in the US. This year, there have been none and there are no advertised plans for any. Same for Conflict.

Anybody know what's up?

erion
03-04-2006, 16:15
Just a thought, but maybe GW got sick of all the bitching that goes on about broken tournament armies and decided they aren't going to have any this year.

madrobot
03-04-2006, 16:16
I think GW US has decided not to run anymore GT's (or maybe hold just one at one of the Gamesdays- I'm not sure, some one who is involved in the tournament scene will know more). Part of the cost cutting measures undertaken by GW has been the elimination of tournaments run by them. I can't remember for sure if GT's have been eliminated in England/Europe as well (did they run GT's there? Is it obvious I've never been to a tournament? :angel: )

Try using the search function and you'll probably be able to find some posts by better informed people than me.

Eversor
03-04-2006, 16:26
Good riddance to 'em ;) Big tournaments and hobby games mix like water and oil.

Xavier
03-04-2006, 16:43
The uk still has GT's if GW cut them all the tournament players would do bad things to lenton :(

Insane Psychopath
03-04-2006, 20:06
Grey Man: The best thing to do would be, phone mail order or ask your local GW.

As for the other comment. I find them a little unfair for the hate on tournaments, I have enter tournaments since 2002 & found them to be a great laught, hard yet fun armies, learnt so much gaming & tactic wise, made new friends & got idear for future armies as there so many cool painted/converted. I say those who have never went to a tournament, they should maybe attend other wise shut up, as I heard people saying the never enter then because of the armies taken there, that bad losser talk & if that the case I am happy that person dose not attend. Not all tournament will have same line of armies, why UK GT heat 1 there was 7 Eldar armies, I thought there would of been more.

But for real tournament are great & so many cool armies there. I will look forward to all Tournament in the future to come & many new people I face in battle.

I do not mean to insult anyone by this, but it is true the amount of post I seen on warseer where people who never enter tournaments bash them, yet the know nothing other than the armies taken. I do not bash Games Day as I never been to one.

but maybe GW got sick of all the bitching that goes on about broken tournament armies

Yep damn bad losser & comp onion, like a bunch of 3 year olds kids, they really need get a life or learn tactic rather than moan about a army. People should judge the gamer, NOT there army.

erion
03-04-2006, 20:17
In all brutal honesty, if there isn't going to be a GT circuit in the US this year, many of us will not miss them.

Our local tournaments used to be a great deal of fun, with all the guys you game with working on an army in secret and showing them all off the weekend we had the tourney.

The one this year only three local players (including myself) showed up, with the rest of the players coming from a couple of hundred miles away to participate. Guys we never saw before or again, coming in to test drive their GT armies instead of a group of local guys crowning one of their own. One of these guys decided to ditch the second day of the tournament because he wasn't winning with his uber-leet Grey Knights army of doom (because there was only one chaos player), and threw the pairings off for half of the games.

Great sports, that lot. Good riddance to them indeed.

Insane Psychopath
03-04-2006, 20:37
One of these guys decided to ditch the second day of the tournament because he wasn't winning with his uber-leet Grey Knights army of doom (because there was only one chaos player), and threw the pairings off for half of the games.

No offnce but, the Grey Knight player from what I read there. He a bad losser no dout about that & also no offcen but Grey Knights armies are not the best tournament army around, try them myself (but I did not walk away). But that show bad losser, like saying "screw you guy, I am going home *pick football up & walk away*"

But not all tournament will be like that, tournament are great, fare dues you may get to odd d***head, but the what 1 out of 6 games, so you are still havinh 5 great games or ok.

Grey Man
04-04-2006, 13:48
First, thanks to the mods for moving this. Being new around here, I missed that there was an actual forum for this sort of thing.

Grey Man: The best thing to do would be, phone mail order or ask your local GW.

Not a bad idea, though in the past I have found all of these to be less reliable that this site for info.

If they got canned, I'll be annoyed, and here's why: I have never done a GT and this would be the first year that I could. Canning them the first year I could do one is sorta irritating. I realize some of you would say "You aren't missing much." While I appreciate the warning, I prefer to find stuff like that out for myself.

erion
04-04-2006, 15:03
I.P. -- being from Scotland, you have no idea of the level of Jackassery the US Tournament players are capable of. I have seen someone deliberately knock another player's very well-painted (and foolishly unattended) Chaos Army from the table it was resting on in order to remove it from the "Best Appearance" category. And this was at a Rogue Trader Tournament, not a GT/Conflict. No regard whatsoever for the effort that had obviously been put into it. It was done simply to eliminate a perceived threat.

Trust me, only those who play solely at the Competitive Level will be sad to see them go. Those of us who still get together with a couple of friends and play on a regular basis will be happy the louts won't be coming around to ruin our fun anymore.

Commissar Bone
04-04-2006, 22:09
I have seen someone deliberately knock another player's very well-painted (and foolishly unattended) Chaos Army from the table it was resting on in order to remove it from the "Best Appearance" category.

That guy must not have realized that we Americans can own firearms and might just object to having his army smashed like that. :chrome:

Seriously, though, I can hardly believe anyone would deliberately do that to someone else. Then again, I know people have had their miniatures stolen at conventions, too, and that's equally evil.

Troy Clifton
06-04-2006, 00:08
The US scaled back the GT circuit in the middle of last season. IIRC there were even a couple of planned events cancelled. There was never an official announcement as to why. The only semi official word on it was an announcement that the GT's were being handed over to the regions to run. The most likely explanation IMO is that there were getting to be too many events for a single event team to handle. We were up to ~10 GT's and 4 Games Days, so the calendar was getting really crowded for those guys.

There were a couple of poorly timed events(near Thanksgiving/Christmas 2004)that didn't get good player support that sounded the death knell of the tournament proliferation of preceding years. Complaints had been mounting that the proliferation of events was diluting the talent pool and making a GT less special. Instead of being grand events with the very best players and hobbyists(like they were in 200-2002)they had become just bigger RTTs.

There is one GT planned for this year coinciding with the Chicago Games Day. Scuttlebutt has it that the plan is to expand all the games day RTTs into true GT's in coming years. Advance scheduling for the GD venues prevented expansion of the tournaments this year. I would be surprised if you don't eventually see the Dallas and Seattle GT's re-appear, but in all I think the change is probably for the better.

4 to 6 a year is a good number. This year we have to make due with one, but at least it is the one that has always been the best.

Grand Warlord
21-04-2006, 01:17
I hope they bring them back i mean it was the only way for me to play other people ... anyone in ohio wanna game lol

starlight
21-04-2006, 01:50
The overall plan *used to be* to run Conflicts as semi-heats and have the GTs closed events at Games Day. Entrance to the GTs would be by invitation, with invitiations going to the people who placed highest in overall standings. Points were to be awarded for many things such as placing, painting and such in RTTs, Conflicts, etc.

Don't know what's up anymore because I don't pay attention to tournaments.

Eldanar
21-04-2006, 15:25
That would be very intriguing...to have a single GT with play-ins from preliminary tournaments.

They would need a years worth of pre-lims (or at least 6 months, unless there are multiple regional events run at the same time) in order to get enough people to invite to the finals though. And they would need some sort of criteria over what RTT's, etc., were big enough in order to be able to allow points for the GT qualification.

Although I'd love to see it happen...