PDA

View Full Version : What is the best scenario you've played?

Easy E
01-06-2005, 05:49
What is the best custom scenario you've played and why? Was it from one of the rule books or official supplements or was it custom?

I am trying to come up with some idea for alternate scenario's for my group.

Cypher
01-06-2005, 05:55
A popular one at local events is the secret mission. Standard pitched battle scenario, but each player has a secret objective that earns them bonus VPs. They can be something broad (bonus points for units killed in HtH or shooting) or specific (kill the enemy HQ). The reason the scenario works so well is both players are (usually) going for different objectives that the other doesnt know about, creating some dynamic and interesting games.

sulla
01-06-2005, 08:16
The 'Rules of Engagement' from an old white dwarf (now on the website too).

Both armies need 2 objective markers and place them on the battlefield then roll a mission each. This meant that both armies might have missions that were completely different and contrasting. Also, the missions could only be won by completeing set objectives, not destroying the enemy meaning constructing army lists rewarded more than straight assault/shooting power unlike pitched battle lists.

Kzer-Za
01-06-2005, 09:16
I have to agree with sulla...
Rules of Engagement (UK WD294) provide dynamic games which can be very funny and rewarding... Because you never know what you might play (defensivly or offensivly) the rules also favour those who bring balanced armies...

For instance we had a Necron Army which was very static which won everything on the defence but had real trouble on the offensive missions...

The fun part is that this way you cannot gamble on one card, and know what that is in advance, and have to dedicate your force to prevent the enemy achieving his objectives and securing your own...

The downside to these rules for us was that we played a mapbased campaign which ended in some rather peculiar missions which we didn't quite find the fluff to back it up with, but as stand alone games I think they are great!

Kzer-Za

hairyman
01-06-2005, 10:22
I'd have to agree.. the rules of engagement are really good, especially if you're a bit jaded with the same old missions.

Out of the scenarios in the book, I really seem to enjoy "Rescue" every time I play it. Always ends up with some last turn drama, and it makes a nice change to not be worrying about victory points and casualties and instead be going for an objective in an all or nothing kinda way.

The pestilent 1
01-06-2005, 11:06
Always liked ambush myself.
having my 2000pt tyranid army ambush a Tau army was especially fun, as it was a complete massacre (about 100 points of models left between us!) with Tyrants going head to head with a Tau commander and losing :wtf:
but then having a massive sqaud of Kroot get beat up by some termagants.

Tanks being blown to hell left right and centre by a venom-cannon armed carnifex, then he duely gets smitten by some broadsides, who in turn are aced by more Termagants (men of the match where they, Mmmmm Strength 5 basic weapons :p )

all in all an immensly fun, bloody and slightly odd game. (im still sore over my tyrant getting nobbled by a tau commander of all things)

philbrad2
01-06-2005, 13:04
Our Starship Troopers stylie scenario on RETRIBUTION40K (http://www.retribution40k.net/IGMISSION.htm) Wrote this a good few years ago now IIRC it was wirtten using the BBB Nid list and the orognal 3rd ed Codex: IG, thoroughly enjoyed playing it and led to some of my best all time 40K scraps and a few Nid and IG trophies still in the armies present to this day. Might do a update of it for 4th ed.

Everyone fights... no one quits!

:chrome:

Easy E
01-06-2005, 17:38
For those who are interested here are the rules of engagment:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer40000/rules-of-engagement/4/

Anyone have any feedback on the Eye of Terror scenarios?
Some more custom scenario's besides just Philbrad would be lovely!

Konrad_Curze II
01-06-2005, 21:10
one of my favourite missions ive played is one that our staff came up with which was called "REGROUP, REGROUP, REGROUP!!" which is a normal seek and destroy mission but with the added rule that every piece of terrain on the board has a lance strike on it!! oh the fun we had doing that mission. great fun!

sulla
02-06-2005, 18:47
... a normal seek and destroy mission but with the added rule that every piece of terrain on the board has a lance strike on it!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

:D

Anvils Hammer
02-06-2005, 19:40
me and my brother played an interesting home made mission.

my mechanised imperial guard started in a line of trenches and bunkers in the middle ofthe table, and my transport tanks all started at the edge of my deployment zone, 3 feet behind my lines.
my brothers ork speed freaks had first turn and came on from the opposite board edge.

my mission was to rescue the infantry so they retreat to the main cititdel, his mission was to wipe me out before enough of my army could escape, we agreed that i would win if i got more than half of my infantry modles off the board.
out of 35 infantry at the outpost, 18 made it off the board, granting me a narrow win, and it could easily have gone either way, it was a tremendouly enjoyable and very tense battle.

The Beast
03-06-2005, 16:29
My favourite are 3-way games with an objective in the middle. It basically comes to who was ready to get to the middle by turn 5 and hold it til the end of turn 6. I managed to win twice by hiding my walking tyrant with 2 guards 12" away from the objective. Then on turn 5 I walked and lived.

Slyracoon
03-06-2005, 19:03
The best fun game I've ever had was a straight up, old fashioned Carnage battle with random turn length and four players running for an objective in the middle.

However, if we're talking homebrewed scenarios then the most fun battle I've ever had was the culmination of a narrative campaign we'd been running. Basically my friend's Chaos Lord was trying to sacrafice my Rune Priest so he could ascend to deamonhood and the rest of my Wolves had to put a stop to him. Also there was a really wierd storyline in there which I won't bore you with, but it ended up with another player's Hive Tyrant killing the Chaos Lord and taking his place of ascention. From then on in it was a game of Kill The Tyranthirster, which my Lord eventually did. It was a heart-in-your-mouth moment, though, and one of the best games I've ever played.

Scythe
03-06-2005, 19:27
For 2 player games, I must say I quite enjoyed the ambush scenario. I remember a time where my nids were deployed in a long line and ambushed by dark eldar. I put the slowest things in the front, fast things in the back. In a turn or 2/3 the whole column spread out from a small line to a force stretching from long board edge to long board edge due my fast elements catching up the slow ones. Great to see visually and very tense battle also. Dark Eldar won by a single vicotry point on a 2000 pts game!

Buth otherwise, it's carnage. Not much tactics, but it's great fun tricking the other players to just shoot each other and not you. Psychological warfare is great with 4 players!

Easy E
03-06-2005, 21:18
@Konrad_Curze II

That sounds difficult. That would definitely turn your normal in game perceptions on there head. Instead of hugging cover you want to avoid it!

@Anvil's Hammer

That sounds like it would be a sweet campaign scenario.

Angelus Mortis
05-06-2005, 14:00
Blitz is the best scenario I have ever played. For both Attacker and Defender. Probably the best designed one IMO.

Puffin Magician
05-06-2005, 17:10
Believe it or not, the most fun I've had was with my Armoured Company list in a Cityfight game! Unfortunately we rolled to play High Ground and my list contains no infantry so it came down to my tanks having to kill everything that entered the 6-storey building.

I think it was enjoyable simply because it wasn't the same old stupid "shoot each other from across the table with nothing to block LoS" games, and making lots of Cityfight terrain is fun. Plenty of fun moments like knocking out a Land Raider with my immobilized Vanquisher, a trio of Griffons raining down accurate shells all game, my Baneblade narrowly avoiding destruction by vapourizing Assault Marines at point-blank range with it's Mega Battlecannon, and annoying times like when my Conqueror became immobilized in a narrow road, blocking the Russ Squadron behind it. :(

Blitz is the best scenario I have ever played. For both Attacker and Defender. Probably the best designed one IMO.
I'd really like to try one of these missions, the amount of specialized terrain and rules would make for a unique game.

Anvils Hammer
05-06-2005, 17:24
that sounds like a massive armoured company!

EVIL INC
05-06-2005, 20:49
When I used to live in an apartment with one of my buddies and his gf, we built a special table just for tall people. One of the good things about it, was that we actually had our own game room just for 40k. What I did was put my large dog-faced lawn ornament gargyle I had painted in the middle of the table and built stuff around it with terregn pieces I had to make it look like a large chaos temple. I told my buddies if they could beat me, they could remove it from the table. Of course, we altered the stuff on the table from game to game, but the gargyle was always the centerpiece until I moved out and took it with me.