PDA

View Full Version : The Curse of Anraheir

hobbs3023
08-07-2011, 23:59
Hi... does the dangerous terrain test apply to open ground? I'm assuming yes, as open ground is a type of terrain. Correct? It says ALL terrain is treated as dangerous terrain. Thankyou for comments!

Falkman
09-07-2011, 01:52
Yes, it applies to open ground.

T10
09-07-2011, 13:20
This is because "open ground" is one type of terrain described in the rules.

Bitten Black Sheep
10-07-2011, 05:53
That is certainly not how I read it.

Open terrain "doesn't affect the game" page 116

The curse will affect units on, or moving over, hills as this counts as "unless otherwise stated" part of the rules stating that hills are treated as open ground. All other terrain would also be included.

Page 85 Orc and Goblin book Fanatics are removed as casualties "if they contact a piece of terrain other than a hill".
So with the interpretations above they will die as soon as they are released.
This argument has been around for years as an interpretation for fanatics and to me always seemed to be a waste of effort as it was quite clearly not the intention.

In 8th edition, however, with the rules clearly stating that open ground has no effect on the game I do hope that this argument is not resurrected again either for the curse or fanatic movement.
It is quite clearly contrary to RAI and now I would hope it is quite clear as RAW as well.
The curse does not affect movement over open ground.

EnternalVoid
10-07-2011, 10:24
I am going to shoot one hole in your arguement Black Sheep.

The Tomb King's spell does much the same as the Curse of Anraheir and strait out says you have to take a dangerous terrain test with open terrain. So the "Doesn't affect the game" part of the rule is kind of irrelevent as there is a spell in the latest book that strait out effects open terrain.

That said, the Tomb king spell makes a point of saying that open terrain becomes dangerous terrain, so that is one argument that Curse of Anraheir is not the same involving open terrain as the tomb king one makes special mention of it.

ChaosDefilerofUlthuan
10-07-2011, 10:27
This is because "open ground" is one type of terrain described in the rules.

Got it in one

Mid'ean
10-07-2011, 16:38
Open terrain "doesn't affect the game" page 116

It does if it turned into dangerous terain

Page 85 Orc and Goblin book Fanatics are removed as casualties "if they contact a piece of terrain other than a hill".
So with the interpretations above they will die as soon as they are released.
This argument has been around for years as an interpretation for fanatics and to me always seemed to be a waste of effort as it was quite clearly not the intention.

Why does everybody who tries to argue this always pick on the poor fanatics.....:cries: It does say contact a "PIECE" of terrain. A piece of terrain to me is something you put down on the table. But hey that's just MHO...

And EternalVoid has it dead bang too.....;)

Yrrdead
10-07-2011, 17:18
I don't see the TK hex as evidence to support if fact I find it evidence of the opposite. It is very explicit in its wording whereas Curse is not.

Especially considering that this has been an issue since release and hasn't been FAQ'd in the BRB FAQ. Nor was it addressed in the first OnG FAQ. Which tends to support the argument that open terrain isn't affected by Curse.

decker_cky
10-07-2011, 17:42
TK doesn't add open terrain in, it clarifies that terrain includes open.

hobbs3023
10-07-2011, 23:50
After re-reading the spell and looking over "open ground" in the BRB... I think it's become clear. The BRB clearly states that open ground IS terrain. It even says it's the most common type of "terrain". The spell states it affects ALL terrain, so open ground would be included. The TK spell written for 8th edition simply clarifies (reminds?) that open ground is affected

Bitten Black Sheep
11-07-2011, 01:48
Good - glad we all sorted that one out then.

So the answer to life the universe and everything is....

Agree with your opponent what this weeks interpretation is before you play.