PDA

View Full Version : Goblins 2500 pts.

ZeeB
13-07-2011, 18:42
Hello everyone! This is my attempt to get back into Warhammer Fantasy after a trip to 40k (got a plog for my FW Death guard if you're interested) and I had an old Battle for Skull pass box lying around, so I thought that I would start a goblin army.

The meaning of this list isn't mainly to be competitive. I plan to use it for friendly games and most of all, I want to include models that I'll enjoy to paint.
This doesn't mean that I don't want to win a game once in a while so your comments and criticism is highly appreciated!

Anyways, enough talk! Here is my 2500 pts. list of goblins:

Goblin Warboss: Shield, Ogre blade, Armour of Fortune, Dawnstone
168 pts.

Night Goblin Great Shaman: Level 4, Talisman of Endurance, Trickster's Shard
230 pts.

Night Goblin Big Boss: Battle Standard, Bad Moon Banner
105 pts.

Night Goblin Shaman: Level 1, Dispel Scroll
75 pts.

Goblin Big Boss: Great weapon, Wolf Chariot
89 pts.

Goblin Big Boss: Great weapon, Wolf Chariot
89 pts.

40 Night Goblins: Shields, Spears, Netters, 2 Fanatics, Boss, Musician, Standard bearer
245 pts.

38 Night Goblins: Shields, Spears, Netters, 2 Fanatics, Boss, Musician, Standard bearer
239 pts.
I'll stick the Warboss and the Battle standard in this unit

20 Night Goblins: Short bows, 2 Fanatics, Boss, Musician, Standard bearer
140 pts.
The Lvl 1 Shaman goes here. Thought that 7x3 Night goblins with bows gives more shooting

39 Goblins: Light armour, Shields, Boss, Musician, Standard bearer
166,5 pts.
This is my Great Shamans unit

10 Forest Goblin Spider Riders: Shields, Spears, Boss, Musician, Standard bearer
160 pts.

10 Forest Goblin Spider Riders: Shields, Spears, Boss, Musician, Standard bearer
160 pts.

2 Goblin Spear Chukkas
70 pts.

6 River Trolls
270 pts.

1 Giant
200 pts.

1 Goblin Rock Lobber
85 pts.

Total: 2491,5 pts.

bigbear bailey
14-07-2011, 13:27
some one told me once about the shaman mania instead of the LV 4.

Try this. 4 lv 1 shammies (night gobbos) and have them eat mushrooms untill their heads pop ha ha.

I really dont like champs in this game anymore as they just get picked out and killed by good players (if they dont then still think, is one attack worth 12 points on average)

Other then that I like it bro, tell me how it does!

Algorath
15-07-2011, 02:19
some one told me once about the shaman mania instead of the LV 4.

Try this. 4 lv 1 shammies (night gobbos) and have them eat mushrooms untill their heads pop ha ha.

I really dont like champs in this game anymore as they just get picked out and killed by good players (if they dont then still think, is one attack worth 12 points on average)

Other then that I like it bro, tell me how it does!

I agree with the the 4 lvl 1 shamans; a lvl 4 Great shaman is alot of points to lose turn one, something that can and has happened over the poisonous variety.

ZeeB
15-07-2011, 20:45
I appreciate that you two took the time to comment on my thread! Good suggestions as well. Hadn't really thought about using a few lvl 1 shamans instead of a lvl 4 (as you said, those mushrooms can be deadly). Would you recommend any magic items for those shamans or just run them "naked"?

As for the champions in my units, I mainly use them to add a bit of character to my units. As I said in my first post, this isn't only meant to be a competitive army but I appreciate your suggestions!

Brother Haephestus
16-07-2011, 02:54
Some food for thought:

In my 2000 point list I made the Great Shaman the general and then popped him on an Araknarok with Catchweb Shrine. Loremaster and 18" leadership. I think I had a massive 5 pts left over so if I recall correctly I put the Pidgeon Plucker item on him (opponent uses fliers).

A thought is to make one of the goblins a BSB with Spider Banner in one of your "skirmishers" units of Spider Riders. Auto-wounds on 5,6 for spider, 6 for rest of unit.

For me, I have two chukkas in the backfield (lobba or doom diver as soon as I go up to 2250), and I put a unit of NG bowmen back there with fanatics as "rear guard." If my opponent goes for a machines attack I hope to be able to unleash some whirling death on him. Regardless, I always try to have something with range or mobility (or both) in the back area to "put out fires."

I'm not sure I want heros on my chariots. I tend to use mine more as flankers and I'm more interested in the impact hits than anything else. I'll have to try your route though - I'm curious now.

If you can fit it in, I love to use things like mangla squigs or snotling pump wagons-- those wacky, unreliable units that inspire the love of the almighty in someone if they do hit. From that point forward they tend to be arrow magnets and allow me to maneuver my forces a tad unhindered.

Other than that, your list is very similar to mine! I'm a tad more spider-themed, so I have a Big Boss on a gigantic spider, spider riders, Aracnarok, etc. Lots of fun, gobbo armies!

TMATK
16-07-2011, 03:20
You can take a level 4 goblin shaman, but I would go with a Common over a Night. Too risky with the magic mushroom rule. If you're feeling crazy throw him on an Arabyan carpet, fly him around casting itchy nuisance and curse of the bad moon! :D

Spamming level 1 night goblins is a good idea as well. I wouldn't bother protecting them, keep them cheap and expandable. Maybe some scrolls.

Algorath
16-07-2011, 18:22
As an after thought, rank your Archers 10x2, you'll get more shots that way, and you're really not looking to win any combats with them.

Da GoBBo
16-07-2011, 19:17
I love it! It is a goblin army in the truest sense, which has a strategical implication --> you won't win battles playing a fair fight :D

Because you don't have the most trustworthy anvils (40 goblins is a tad light for a main anvil) and you only have one kind of charge that will cause some real hurt (trolls) you have to resort to more sneaky schemes and deliver mayhem first and mob up later. You have plenty of units to do the later but might be too light on the first. You must make sure that before your units close in for combat, the enemy has been mangled enough so that your goblins are sufficient to lock units. Than your spider riders and chariots can move in. They will still have to pick their fight, so I wouldn't add a character as they have to remain fast cavalry for movement purposes.

In short, there is three things you have to do:
1) slap em silly before combat (warmachines, fanatics, squigs, goblinchariots (no characters), pumpweagons, magic, cheap monsters)
2) lock combat (big blocks breaking steadfast)
3) counter charge (cavalry, boar/wolfchariots, monsters)

taks 2 and 3 can of course be performed at the same time

The trolls can probably do what they want during any of these task, which makes them an important unit is this army, have a chariot nearby to help out just in case.

My fear with your list is you are a bit underpowered to do the first task with this list, which means you will not be ready to do the second (and third) job. I think this can be overcome with a minor change, which is to ditch the giant and load up on mangler squigs, pump weagons and single trolls, but I can understand you really want to fit that giant in :D

As for spamming level ones over having a level 4 shaman, remember that leaves you really vulnerable in the enemies magicphase.

Good luck! This is a very nice list to get reacquainted with O&G again in casual games. Again, I love it, and I love the way you came to it. Cheers!

lawgivera554
17-07-2011, 14:07
Giant is more like a 200 pt. Handicap. Useless in this edition.

ZeeB
17-07-2011, 19:23
Hello again everyone and thank you for your suggestions and comments about my armylist!

I've taken most of your suggestions into account and I've redone the list as follows (I've also named my characters for fluffyness ^^)

Goblin Warboss Snadgat: Shield, Ogre Blade, Armour of Fortune, Dawnstone
168 pts.

Night Goblin Big Boss Grotsnik: Battle Standard, Bad Moon Banner
105 pts.

Goblin Big Boss Nogbad: Great weapon, Wolf Chariot
89 pts.

Goblin Big Boss Blatga: Great weapon, Wolf Chariot
89 pts.

Night Goblin Shaman Nibblit: Level 1, Dispel Scroll
75 pts.

Night Goblin Shaman Sizzlum: Level 1, Scroll of Shielding
65 pts.

Night Goblin Shaman Shizkit: Level 1
50 pts.

Night Goblin Shaman Ratgash : Level 1
50 pts.

40 Night Goblins: Shields, Spears, Netters, 2 Fanatics, Boss, Musician, Standard bearer
245 pts.

38 Night Goblins: Shields, Spears, Netters, 2 Fanatics, Boss, Musician, Standard bearer
239 pts.

20 Night Goblins: Short bows, 2 Fanatics, Musician, Standard bearer
130 pts.
I decided to skip the boss in this unit to save up some points.

40 Goblins: Light armour, Shields, Musician, Standard bearer
160 pts.
No boss here either, same reason as above.

160 pts.

160 pts.

4 Goblin Spear Chukkas
140 pts.
Two more chukkas made it into the list, better to shoot from afar than fighting in close combat if you're a goblin!

6 River Trolls
270 pts.

1 Goblin Rock Lobber
85 pts.

2 Mangler Squigs
130 pts.

2 Snotling Pump Wagons
90 pts.

Total: 2500 pts.

I ditched the giant to make room for two pump wagons and two mangler squigs to thin out the numbers of the enemy even more before my infantry get stucked in.

There you have it. Are the changes to your liking? Another question I have is how do I field my shamans? Do I let them run about on their own or do I stick them in my infantry blocks for more protection from missile fire?
Since GW's changed the rules for shooting at lone characters from the time when I played I'm a bit clueless on this subject.

As always, your comments and suggestion would help a lot! :)

Da GoBBo
17-07-2011, 22:45
Giant is more like a 200 pt. Handicap. Useless in this edition.

:confused: so untrue, a giant does well versus low Initiative monster(s/units) and functions like a hitty yet weird chariot versus blocks. He might be overpriced, but 'useless' gives the big oaf to little credit.

I like this list a lot better, it is better balanced to perform it's sneaky tasks. There is a lot of randomness going on of course, but half the fun is finding out how to manage that ;). I don't really know about your shaman question as I have never fielded my shamans like this. Goblin shamans are all about support and drawing missile fire away from other parts of the army counts as support. With 2 wounds and a 4+ look out sir save as their only protection those wounds come at quiet a price, so I would field them inside your units.

Algorath
18-07-2011, 05:26
I'm assuming the normal gobbos are your anvil; deleting the bowmen would give you the lee way for 60 gobbos with shield/spears and three nasty skulkers, for the same points.

Keep them with your blocks; Gobbo shamans are support casters, they might as well be next to them.

My opinion on this list? It's focused on momentum, single out units for destruction, lynchpins if you will, and break them, relying on the panic tests to rout the opposition before they can smack you.

bigbear bailey
19-07-2011, 15:30
The only other thing I can think of would be giving some one the terror helm thing to a boss on a wolf or spider so that way you can have him charge something with low LD on a flank. This breaks all kinds of units for me and it really helps with gobbos as any unit running before swings are done is ALWAYS good!

That and it allows you to say bogha bogha bogha when you charge!!!