PDA

View Full Version : Can cannons shoot every turn or must they reload?

Wizzerdrix
14-07-2011, 05:52
Alright, first off, me and my mate have the 6th edition rulebook and his dwarf book is outdated as well. We're trying to work out whether his organ gun can fire every turn or if it has to reload every second turn. There's nothing written about that in the dwarf book so I guess it goes by the rules of normal cannons. Read the entire chapter on cannons in the big rulebook. Doesn't say anything about having to reload cannons. Help?

Yrrdead
14-07-2011, 05:57
Uhm yeah no. Keep that 6th Ed rulebook on the shelf for nostalgia...and never look at it again until you stop playing this game.

NTJ2010
14-07-2011, 06:14
Yeah, all weapons can fire every turn unless it says otherwise (like Ogres Leadbelchers).

War machines can always shoot unless you move, are in close combat, or previously got a misfire that prevented a turn of shooting (or some other restrictions you can find in the book)

T10
14-07-2011, 07:57
I can't remember the Organ Gun ever having a "reload" rule.

But I remember handguns could only fire every second turn. They even had a rule about handgunners in two ranks where you could move the first rank to the back (or back rank to the front) so the unit could effectively shoot each turn with half its models. The unit could thus creep backwards or forwards while firing.

CaptainFaramir
14-07-2011, 08:22
But I remember handguns could only fire every second turn. They even had a rule about handgunners in two ranks where you could move the first rank to the back (or back rank to the front) so the unit could effectively shoot each turn with half its models. The unit could thus creep backwards or forwards while firing.

That's a 4th Ed rule and it was amazing. Particularly for detachment units would could sneak up as a road block or redirector for a flank charge by the parent[/nostalgia]

T10
14-07-2011, 10:05
I'm left to wonder what GW considered a standard game length to be. A unit in very difficult terrain could move at 1/4 speed and were not allowed to march. Imagine a unit of Orcs with 6 ranks moving through 6 inches of very difficult terrain. It'd take them 12 turns to move clear of the damned thing!

That actually fits quite nicely with the 2 cm of creeping movement you could get from an advancing unit of handgunners!

-T10

Commissar Vaughn
14-07-2011, 10:12
Back in 5th (and I think 4th as well) Orgun guns fired all 5 barrels separately, and each took a turn to reload. So you could fire 3 barrels one turn and two the next, or all 5 and then wait a turn. Had to have something to low them down as they were literally 5 cannons strapped together each firing a s10 d3 wounds shot. My brothers dwarfs used 7 of the damn things....

@t10: recall that the average game in 4th and 5th was only supposed to last 4 turns too! Movement really needs to be revamped in all wh based games....

Griefbringer
14-07-2011, 20:33
In the 3rd edition organ guns also required one turn per barrel to reload, and you had to fire all of the barrels at the same time.

The bearded one
14-07-2011, 21:49
In 8th cannons and organ guns can fire every turn, even if there is only 1 crewmember left. They magically reload within seconds.

Algovil
14-07-2011, 22:21
According to the 3rd edition rulebook 24 inches represents 240 yards etc. So actually you can say that the units on the board represents whole regements. And a turn can represent the time it takes to walk 40 yards/meters, which is more than just a few seconds, if you are not Usain Bolt that is!