PDA

View Full Version : Forge world Weathering powders? (Help)

Fizzy
14-07-2011, 19:15
I'm going to order 2 small pots of weathering next week. I will order another set of 7 pots with my big order this fall.

But now to my question. Do you guys know or have any good tutorial on how to use and get the best relalistic effect from these products? I have looked around on other companies but I just trust Forge world with orders right now so some help would be really awesome!

Thanks!

Elenneth89
15-07-2011, 13:49
i have the same problem... i don't know how to use it because with the water becames as a normal paint

Fizzy
15-07-2011, 14:04
Well we will have to hope that someone takes a peek in here and give us an answer.

I might not buy it if people say powder sucks.

ASSASSINAWOKEN
15-07-2011, 14:26
I have watched a youtube video about using weathering powders myself. The videos were about using weathering powders to achieve a rust effect using two different powders.

I believe the base idea is to pwder on the powder/pigment first and then add the second powder/pigment if need be.

The video pointed to using rubbing alcohol as a setting agent so in a sense dust, dust, add rubbing alcohol. Keep in mind adding the rubbing alcohol is assuming it is the last thing which is done to the area of the model.

Youtube search for rust weathering pigment and you should find it from a blog post. I can't provide the link right now to be honest.

Fizzy
15-07-2011, 15:52
Thansk thats more than enough of an answer to me :)

Really helpful. I will look into it as soon as possible.

Any moderator can remove this thread if they want to.
(Does warseer have moderators?)

ASSASSINAWOKEN
15-07-2011, 23:09
The linkage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cLTEXzfyFE

Fizzy
16-07-2011, 10:57
Much appriciated :)

baphomael
17-07-2011, 20:19
Yea, you wanna get some rubbing/surgical alcohol for it. Although, at least round these parts, you have to ask for it rather than find it off-the-shelf...alcoholics and homeless folks have been known to wind up hospitalising themselves glugging on that stuff.

Fizzy
17-07-2011, 21:33
Well I think they got it in a place called Biltema here in Sweden. Or perhaps in a hobby shop according to my dad.

winterdyne
22-07-2011, 15:40
I like to use Tamiya thinner with the weathering powders.

Apply the powder DRY, using an old brush (a worn out GW detail brush is fine). Stipple it on roughly where you want it to be (on / around rivets etc).

Get a bit of thinner on another brush and touch it to the powder. The powder will soak up the thinner and bed down onto the surface. Use lots of thinner (like you would a wash) and let it run down to create streaks / rivulets.

baphomael
23-07-2011, 03:57
Actually, yea, thinner would probably work just as well as surgical alcohol... although, I'd imagine that by volume, comparitively, it'd be more expensive...... but then, how much of the stuff would one expect to use? To get through a litre or a half-litre of rubbing alcohol would be a *lot* of weathering, I'd imagine.

Magot
24-07-2011, 00:20
The answer is on the site of Forgeworld itself of course

Click on whatever wethering powder you want, and at the bottom of the following screen
you will see:

"For a quick guide on how to use weathering powders click here"

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF//w/weathering-powders.pdf

a complete tutorial how to use the ForgeWorld weathering products

winterdyne
24-07-2011, 16:49
I actually use it because I prefer the smell. I also buy my tamiya thinner in large quantities, so I've actually got around a litre of it sitting around.

Fizzy
24-07-2011, 17:27
I really want to test all these theories but my order I'm going to place is getting pushed farther and farther away since the one ordering for me is constantly going on trips every week.

My bank account will be upgraded this fall so I can buy stuff on my own. Right now I can't.

Magot
25-07-2011, 04:20
I'm going to order 2 small pots of weathering next week. I will order another set of 7 pots with my big order this fall.

But now to my question. Do you guys know or have any good tutorial on how to use and get the best relalistic effect from these products? I have looked around on other companies but I just trust Forge world with orders right now so some help would be really awesome!

Thanks!

Hi to you all,
I found on the site of ForgeWorld a complete how to work with these products. its a PDF file.
Just click on the first weathering powder, in the next screen, close to the bottom you will see a link to the very good detailled tutorial