PDA

View Full Version : Orcs and Goblins 2.5K Storm of Magic

Spiney Norman
16-07-2011, 23:40
Lords
Wizzbang Toofcrakka, Savage Orc Greatshaman (Level 4, Lucky shrunken head)
Da Spin Dokta, Goblin Great Shaman (Level 3, Staff of Channeling)

Heroes
Wizgit Weirdnose, Night Goblin Shaman (level 1)
Fizbit Fanglepop, Night Goblin Shaman (level 1)
Skraggit Lightfinga, Night Goblin Bigboss (Battle standard, Armour of Fortune, shield)

Core
50 Night Goblins (spears, net, full command, 3 fanatics)
50 Night Goblins (nets, full command, 3 fanatics)
20 Savage Orcs (full command, additional hand weapon, big stabbas)

Special
10 Savage Orc Boar Boyz (full command, spears & shields, banner of eternal flame)
Night Goblin Squig Herd (15 squigs, 10 herders)
2 Goblin Spear Chukkas

Rare
Arachnarok Spider
Giant
Doom Diver Catapult

Monsters & Magic = 610
Wyssan's Weighted Dice (carried by Wizzbang)
Forest Dragon
Carnosaur

The weighted dice are good for any army, but they give a massive bonus to O&G, by swapping 1s for 5s I'll get a turn of auto-passing animosity, NG shamen not auto-failing their spells and bolt throwers not misfiring, I'd say thats probably worth 100pts.

I couldn't find a way to spend my last 15pts in the M&M section so if you have any bright ideas post them here, otherwise I'd say it looks pretty good.

Spiney Norman
28-07-2011, 09:44
Ok, since no-one seemed to want to comment on my first list, here is a slight tweaking of it after 3 games

Lords
Wurrzag

Heroes
Night Goblin Shaman (L1)
Night Goblin Shaman (L1)
Night Goblin Shaman (L1)
Night Goblin BSB (Armour of destiny, great weapon)

Core
50 Night Goblins (full command, nets, spears, 3 fanatics)
50 Night Goblins (full command, nets, 3 fanatics)
20 Savage Orcs (full command, additional hand weapons, big stabbas)

Special
Squig herd (15:10)
10 Savage Boar Boyz (full command, spears & shields, banner of eternal flame)
2 Spear Chukkas

Rare
Giant
Arachnarok Spider
Doom Diver

Monsters and Magic
Wyssans weighted dice
Truthsayer (L3)
Carnosaur
6 Cold Ones

I want to try out Wurrzag's ability to squigify enemy wizards and I think using the truthsayer to add some battle magic cat spells to my arsenal would work well. It does leave me with the problem of using a NG shaman to cover a home fulcrum but we'll have to see how that goes.

Algorath
29-07-2011, 15:31
I'm still catching up on SoM, but why the dinos?

Von Wibble
29-07-2011, 15:41
Well, I'm not at all expert on Orcs and Goblins, but here are my observations. Presumably the carnosaur is in because 1) you own the model, and 2) it is good against monsters?

Overall it looks strong. Lots of wizards, plenty of models, and plenty of clear theats, with every unit having a role. I am using weak wizards to take fulcrums in my army as well, I don't think that is a huge problem as long as you have a bit of backup deployed.

My only questino mark is cold ones - presumably included for theme, but would harpies possibly be more optimal? Otherwise no issues.

Jadawin
29-07-2011, 18:08
Looking at your second list I would be tempted to ditch the spear chukkas as they probably wont get many opportunities to shoot, I would then maybe use the points to make the S orc boars into big uns. The dark emmissary is a good m&m for O+g as death magic seems to complement the army nicely. Apart from that looks good to me!

Spiney Norman
01-08-2011, 20:49
Well, I'm not at all expert on Orcs and Goblins, but here are my observations. Presumably the carnosaur is in because 1) you own the model, and 2) it is good against monsters?

Overall it looks strong. Lots of wizards, plenty of models, and plenty of clear theats, with every unit having a role. I am using weak wizards to take fulcrums in my army as well, I don't think that is a huge problem as long as you have a bit of backup deployed.

My only questino mark is cold ones - presumably included for theme, but would harpies possibly be more optimal? Otherwise no issues.

I don't have harpies and can't really afford to buy the bits I would need to convert acceptable models as the current models for them are horrific.

The dinos were an easy include because one of my other armies is Lizardmen, so I have the carno and more cold ones that I can shake a stick at, I'm also going for a bit of a Lustria theme with my savage orcs so it all ties in. Fluff and army Narrative is heavily emphasized at our gaming group, and being able to justify your choices in the M&M section is important.

A dark Emissary would be an acceptable switch as I have both models, though I'm not really seeing the synergy between O&G and the death cataclysm spells. A Wizard selected from the M&M allowance really has to be based on a fulcrum (because he's not permitted to join units from the main army) so any vortex spells other than storm of renewal are wasted.

I have thought about adding the Lore of Shadows to my repertoire via a DE though, bridge of shadows would be an insane way of delivering Fanatics to the flank of an enemy battle line.

Morax
01-08-2011, 21:52
Could always give the Dark Emissary the lore of Shadow, would probably be better synergy.