PDA

View Full Version : O&G Shaman question

Surgency
17-07-2011, 02:45
Can O&G Shamans cast spells more than once? Specifically, can they cast the poisoned hits more than once? If its cast on the same unit, does it stack? I watched a game earlier today and the O&G player stated rather emphatically that he could cast that specific spell repeatedly, and that it stacked each time, giving him a potential poison on 3+. I didn't say anything, though it didn't sit right with me, and doesn't seem to be correct.

The bearded one
17-07-2011, 02:54
Page 31 of the BRB, on the upper left:

"The casting player's wizards can attempt to cast each of their spells once during each magic phase, provided they have enough power and don't fail a casting attempt.

Each wizard can only attempt to cast each spell once per turn. Wizards cannot try to cast spells if they are fleeing or not on the battlefield"

Seems pretty conclusive.

Surgency
17-07-2011, 03:14
I'm aware of that rule, I was wondering if O&G shamans had something special overriding that, like VC do. Also, i'm curious about magic mushrooms. Is there a limit to how many they get?

Falkman
17-07-2011, 03:51
Goblin shamans have nothing overriding that basic rule. In addition, unless you got shamans with Loremaster there can only be one of that spell in the entire O&G army.
Magic mushrooms are a special rule, you add one to every spell you cast. If it comes up a 1 the wizard loses concentration, the spell fails and he might take a wound.

TMATK
17-07-2011, 04:07
The spell also can't cause a unit to poison on better then a 5+, it doesn't stack beyond that.

Surgency
17-07-2011, 14:13
I had a feeling that was the case, but he used the words "well, at the tournament they said" a lot. His opponent let it go, and I'd already corrected a couple of rules, so I just held my tongue.

Tregar
17-07-2011, 16:52
Typically 90% of the time someone says "XXX said..." with regards to rules, they are making it up. FAQ, tournament, some guy down the pub, my mate's cat, it's all worth exactly the same compared to the printed material.

I feel your pain though, when I see people playing like that, if they're not interested in playing by the rules, there's not much you can do without being made to look like an interfering bad guy :o

Tayrod
17-07-2011, 21:20
magic mushrooms are a special rule, you add one to every spell you cast. If it comes up a 1 the wizard loses concentration, the spell fails and he might take a wound.

Are you sure about this?
As far as I can tell, after you roll a 1, you roll a D6, 4+ nothing happends (ie: you can still cast the spell if you beat the casting value, and you do not lose concentration, you simply add +1 to the casting result)

on a 1-3, you suffer a wound, and the spell fails, resulting in loss of concentration.

TMATK
17-07-2011, 21:25
Are you sure about this?
As far as I can tell, after you roll a 1, you roll a D6, 4+ nothing happends (ie: you can still cast the spell if you beat the casting value, and you do not lose concentration, you simply add +1 to the casting result)

on a 1-3, you suffer a wound, and the spell fails, resulting in loss of concentration.

FAQ - http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1780346a_FAQ_OrcsandGoblins_V1_0.pdf

Tayrod
17-07-2011, 21:47
FAQ - http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1780346a_FAQ_OrcsandGoblins_V1_0.pdf

Damnit, that's bad news. Oh well, thanks for the update!

Tregar
18-07-2011, 14:35
I haaaate that FAQ and its answers. My poor NG shamans!

drear
18-07-2011, 14:53
poor shamans>?! they are cheap and get bonuses to casting constantly.

just dont take 1 as your genral .. >.>

NTJ2010
18-07-2011, 19:18
poor shamans>?! they are cheap and get bonuses to casting constantly.

just dont take 1 as your genral .. >.>

Frankly I like the idea of a leadership 6 general

But I agree it is well worth it (I never use a normal goblin shaman). It's 5 points cheaper to gain an initiative, lose a leadership (on a caster) and gain a free power dice per spell (with a 1/6th chance of failing if you didn't get IF and even less chance of taking a wound).

Artiee
18-07-2011, 21:15
I haaaate that FAQ and its answers. My poor NG shamans!

Ya.. that answer really doesn't match the way its written.

I have to think of its this way.. My NG Shaman eats a mushroom and it has a bad taste because a Orc shat on my mushroom so I lose my concentration and have to see if the mushroom was poisonous.