PDA

View Full Version : Can a single model hold up an entire regiment

Wizzerdrix
17-07-2011, 17:40
So I've been playing against my friend's dwarves a lot lately. He often charges one of my main regiments in the flank or rear with a single model, like a lone dwarf slayer or something. My 25 model large unit. Just when I'm about to charge his cannon or something else right in front of me. One little dwarf hits the corner of my unit where he's fighting three skeletons. Does this really hold up my entire unit until I've killed the pesky dwarf? My friend says he thinks it should. He says it's cool that his slayer is like a "bearded little joker" that he can use to distract my skellies. I've got 22 bony guys just standing there wishing they could move on with charging the cannon that's right in front of them and pointing their way. Is this really fair?

Surgency
17-07-2011, 17:44
Your friend is completely right.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
17-07-2011, 17:44
Why isn't it fair? It's just aspect of the game, live with it.

The bearded one
17-07-2011, 17:46
Yes, he can do it. Normally you would at least win on combat resolution most of the time, but the slayer is unbreakable so doesn't give a damn. Other characters would have more trouble because they will break.

You can attempt to combat reform to face him, then kill him with lots of attacks and then reform to your original target again.

Feefait
17-07-2011, 21:42
You will have a standard ( presumably) plus 3 ranks for a standard combat res if +4. Assuming you do no wounds he needs to do that many wounds to beat you in combat, which will be very hard to do. So, when you win you reform and bring your front 3 plus 3 supporting attacks into contact and wipe him out. Really, he should divert you no more than a turn. And remember he cannot shoot into combat.

One up him anyway. Use your varghulf or invocation spells to spam small zombie units on him to keep that slayer away from you or hit this cannons.

The bearded one
17-07-2011, 21:44
Skeletons hit a dragon slayer on 5's and wound him on 6's. He's not so eas to kill quikly.

Feefait
17-07-2011, 22:13
Sorry I don't really know dwarves. I am assuming ws6 and t5, 2 wounds? Then yea probably 2 turns assuming no characters that can go help by shifting over. It would be annoying but counterable. Dwarves seem like they'd be a tough match for vc either way.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
17-07-2011, 22:50
Yeah those are the stats, but it takes an average of 18 Skeleton attacks to wound the Dragon Slayer, thus 36 to kill him. With 6 attacks a turn from the skeletons (If the unit is engaged to the front, and they are armed standardly with Hand Weapon/Shield) then it will take an average of 6 combat phases to kill him.

Sexiest_hero
18-07-2011, 05:28
Yup it's important to have skirmish, units of your own. Wraiths, summoned zombies. or ghouls

Lord Inquisitor
18-07-2011, 05:32
Another solution is to have killy characters inside your units. If you have a vampire kitted out for combat in your skeleton unit, your character can make way or challenge the pesky dwarf and hopefully kill him before he gets to strike.

Tomalock
18-07-2011, 08:19
You are looking at it the wrong way. Your skeletons are actually holding up his slayer. He will never fight his way through all of them. Your ineffective unit is holding up an effective one! :D

P.S. Take ghouls! ;)

PeG
18-07-2011, 09:36
Unless he has lots of slayers kill him with magic, small skirmisher units, feed him zombies, have a character in the unit to kill him with, give your skellies (or preferably ghouls) better WS using the helm etc. Although he is a dwarf he is still a single model.

And since you play VC you should know that zombies and skeletons dont actually kill stuff. Skeletons dont die as fast as zombies especially not with handweapons and shields but they dont kill things. You have lots of other stuff that can kill his slayer and that are also better at dealing with that cannon. Either kill it with something fast (that actually can kill something) or feed it zombies that arwe cheaper and easier to raise.