PDA

View Full Version : Making my Chaos Lord HARD-MantiCORE

GreySeerZ
18-07-2011, 20:24
So, Storm of Magic = awesome. I have to say its a blast. Totally unpredictable, takes one of the already unpredictable and overpowered aspects of the game and makes it even MORE unpredictable and overpowered. Whats not to love. Anyway, I've come to accept that these games will never be competitive, due to the completely random nature of the game, which is a nice break for me, being a relatively competitive person. (Last game I played all 3 wizards miscast, and all 3 rolled 8, turning them all into monstrous creatures).

Anyway, that said, the new Manticore model looks AMAZING. I have to say, it is quite quite quite gorgeous. Now, in the WoC army book, the dragon is a much better mount, and the manticore is over priced. I've tried him before, and its not that great, but I really want to try it again, and at least make him my SoM fluff character. Anyway, does anyone have any cool, awesome and possibly successful builds for a manticore mounted Lord/Sorc Lord???

Gooner
18-07-2011, 20:27
The downside to manticores is high points and low survivability. I see the only way to make them good is forcing your oponent to choose who to attack. This may mean taking a lord with less defence but tons of offence.

Even then most of the time the manticore is an easy kill so there is nothing you can do.

drear
18-07-2011, 20:33
you could take the manticore as a bound monster and have the lord of foot. your paying less points and have more options for your lord that way, as your not eating up lord points

GreySeerZ
19-07-2011, 14:15
Right, normally I would, except its only 50 pts cheaper, and can be unbound... meaning its still not all that great. Oh well, maybe I'll just paint it for fun.

tr1pod
19-07-2011, 18:44
It's rubbish. I took in my last 2 games (Sorcerer on it) because I loved the model. If got spanked easily. No saves whatsoever and only 4 attacks. It's also cheaper in the SoM book than it is in our Army book and thats even with giving it Scaly Skin!

The only decent thing is the 5 initiative, but 200 points?? No way.

col
19-07-2011, 19:51
Its certainly not a very competitive option but a few ideas have popped into my head. How about giving the lord rider favour of the gods and run it with two warshrines. The whole model counts as causing terror and therefore you can re-roll those results on eye table. Obviously getting 4+ ward and stubborn is the goal but magic resistance and +1 toughness could also be handy. Nurgle magic could also help survivability by giving regeneration. With that on mind I'm running this guy against dwarfs at 3000 points on friday:-
Chaos lord of tzeentch on manticore
Axe of khorne
Talisman of endurance
Favour of the gods
Charmed shield
Not maxed points wise and he'll aim to be in combat turn 2. He'll probably get cannonballed to death but what the hell!

Valdee
19-07-2011, 20:41
With that on mind I'm running this guy against dwarfs at 3000 points on friday:-
Chaos lord of tzeentch on manticore
Axe of khorne
Talisman of endurance
Favour of the gods
Charmed shield
Not maxed points wise and he'll aim to be in combat turn 2. He'll probably get cannonballed to death but what the hell!

You can take a trolls (2x2) also. And push him before lord. Cannonball should stop on them.

col
19-07-2011, 20:51
Thats a second use for the 2 warshrines! Plan to run several cav units and hit the warmachines as soon as poss.