PDA

View Full Version : Angmar list

Hoshi No Koe
01-06-2005, 19:47
I'd just like to know what people think of the troop types and how you'd go about building your list.
The troops appeal to me but I have no idea what composition would be fun to use and competitive.

Baggers
01-06-2005, 22:05
I think there was an unoffical list in White Dwarf. Not sure what you are getting at though?

Brandir
01-06-2005, 22:18
The Angmar army list suggests the following:

Orc Warriors
Warg Riders
Barrow-wights
Orc Captains
Orc Shamans

I'd also add the WKA to this list!

Additionally, the WKA also managed to lure Rhudaur to his cause, though by this time the country was populated by hillmen types (use the stats for Dunlendings).

Hoshi No Koe
02-06-2005, 17:44
I was referring at the WD Angmar list actually.

I meant to ask about suggestions for fun and competitive army compositions
There were also warriors of Carn dum in the list.
Off topic, what kind of culture do the people of Rhudaur look like in the age of the war of the ring.

Brandir
02-06-2005, 17:59
By the time of the War of the Ring Rhudaur was unoccupied.

Hoshi No Koe
02-06-2005, 20:42
Ah... sorry i'm not really well known with all the Lord of the Rings history.

What about the army comp for Angmar?

Brandir
02-06-2005, 22:02
A Brief History of Angmar (Sindarin for 'iron home)

Witch kingdom on both sides of the northern Misty Mountains, north of the Ettenmoors, ruked by the Lord of the Nazgűl, who became known as the Witch King of Angmar. The capital was Carn Dűm (if memory serves me this was also where on of the seven fathers of the Dwarves awoke). The area was peopled by Orcs and Hill-men.

The nation rose about TA 1300 and lasted approx 700 years. The aim of Sauron was to destroy the Northern Kingdom (Arnor). This was essentially achieved, helped by the kingdom splitting into three in TA 861 - Arthedain (which was ruled by the direct line), Cardolan and Rhudaur. The in-fighting between these nations caused Cardolan and Rhudaur to effectively cease to be nations and their peoples died out/moved.

Cardolan was over-run in 1409 by Angmar and the Dúnedain fled to Arthedain. The Great Plague of 1636 decimeted those left and by the time of the War of the Ring there were only a few scattered settlements.

Rhudaur was controlled by Hill-men of Angmar by 1350 and the surviving Dúnedain fled. By the time Angmar was destroyed in 1975, Rhudaur had fell and its people scattered or destroyed. There were very very few people left in this region by the time of the War of the Ring.

Arthedain was ultimately defeated in 1974 and it's rulers became the Chieftains of the Dúnedain.

Angmar was defeated in 1975 by a combination of the remnants of Arthedain, Elves of Lindon (led by Círdan), Elves of Imadris (led by Glorfindel) and an army from Gondor (led by Eärnur).

So, what would I put iiiin an Angmar army?

Orcs and Goblins (inc Warg Riders)
Cave Trolls
Hill-men (use the Wild Man of Dunland stats and models)
Barrow Wights
Orc and Goblin heroes
Nazgűl

Hope this helps.

Hoshi No Koe
03-06-2005, 11:31
Thanks for the background story.

What I meant was army comp using the list in WD. How many Barrow wights, spectres, revenants and so forth.

Brandir
03-06-2005, 11:33
In terms of numbers it is up to you. I believe you need one Hero at least and no more than 33% of the models can be archers.

Brandir
03-06-2005, 15:52
GW have published on their web site more info for Angmar based armies:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/heraldsofdarkness/witchking-vassals/1/

Forgotmytea
06-06-2005, 14:24
Looks pretty good - I might collect those when I finish my Faramir's Rangers army and Haradrim... :)

Messiah
06-06-2005, 22:29
http://uk.games-workshop.com/heraldsofdarkness/witchking-vassals/1/

Hoshi No Koe
09-06-2005, 13:52
Yeah, I have the list. Just wanted to see some army lists from people more experienced with LotR