PDA

View Full Version : Cathay

Konrad_Curze II
01-06-2005, 19:53
hi
i think this is the wrong section for this but i thought there would be more response from this section.
basically i want to start a Cathay army, i think ive got the army list right with using the clan eshin list from storm of chaos and can probably come up with ninja/samurai conversions for the characters and triads, its just mainly the bulk of the army. now some of the people on the cathay forums used brettonians peasents with straw hats on which looks cool.
could you suggest the following:
1. an army list that would be better to use than the clan eshin army list
2.possible (simple) conversion ideas for the main bulk of the army
3.possible conversions for the characters, which will be ninjas/samurai

thanks in advance

Kelroth
01-06-2005, 22:35
Take a Maneater or two as a Rare choice. Use the Ninja model. Find some way to include that model, somewhere.

I don't know the formation of the Eshin plastics, but could you not just slice off the ratty bits and attach human parts? As I said, I don't know their actual make-up so this may be impossible, but it's just a thought.

Bretonnian peasants with straw hats sounds ideal.

Characters.. you could use Empire Warrior Priests, suitably converted, and perhaps some of the Dark Elf Assassins, too...

Frenk
02-06-2005, 08:35
You know there's a cathayan site floting around?
cathayan website (http://s3.invisionfree.com/Cathay_Project_Main/index.php?)

Also check the latest UK white dwarf, the eavy metal showcase shows a few conversions.

Jedi152
02-06-2005, 08:47
basically i want to start a Cathay army ... ninja/samurai conversions for the characters and triads, its just mainly the bulk of the army.
NOOOOOOOO!

You made the mistake of mentioning Cathay and ninja's in the same sentence. Now you'll get all the Nippon fanboys coming out of the woodword yelling "OMG TEH NINJORZ R FRMO NIPPON NOT CATHAY11!!!11!!1LOL!!!11ROFL!!1!!n00b!!11!1ELEVEN"

Personally i think ... good idea! Use existing rules instead of making up new ones. I think there were pics of Cathayan monks and handgunners, converted by Chris Blair in a recent UKWD, which looked excellent.

GW used to do a range of ninja's which you can pick up on eBay if you don't mind paying a bit, and if you don't mind non-GW mini's, Foundry (http://www.wargamesfoundry.com) have an extensive range of feudal Japanese mini's.

Adept
02-06-2005, 09:01
In order to keep Jedi happy: Ninjas are from Nippon, not Cathay. Cathay is medieval China, Nippon is Japan. Not really a big thing, but it's like painting up all your Knights in fleur de lys symbols, unique heraldry, elaborate helm ornaments and grail symbols and then saying they're from the Empire.

If minis it is you want, look no further than the Perry twins, (http://www.perry-miniatures.com/samcolour.html) who are also responsible for many fine WHFB sculpts and the excellent LotR range.

In terms of rules, heck it doesnt really matter. I used Chaos simply because I wanted something hitty. Knights stayed as knights, warriors with halberds became Samurai with katana, warriors with two hand weapons become Samurai with katana and wakizashi, and DOW units allowed for archers and ninjas.

Simply pick a list that works for you, and choose the models to fit. Really crazy stuff will require a longer time to explain to an opponent before the game.

Jedi152
02-06-2005, 09:14
In order to keep Jedi happy: Ninjas are from Nippon, not Cathay. Cathay is medieval China, Nippon is Japan ... warriors with halberds became Samurai with katana, warriors with two hand weapons become Samurai with katana and wakizashi
Fanboy, Fanboy! :D

Sorry to thread hijack, but i really couldn't care less if samurai from the 18th kunk dynasty were armed with washimahzi death-sythes.

This is warhammer. Units use handweapons, great weapons etc.

But seriously, kudos to you for using the current Choas army lists, and not just saying: "Samurai are armed with katana, which are the greatest swords in the history of the world, so they have WS7 and S6!" as i'm sure some would.

No warhammer race is based solely on one culture, they are all a mixture of many.

I hope they release Nippon, and make them all space-monkey-clowns from Morrslieb. :p

Konrad_Curze II
02-06-2005, 20:50
alright so a nippon army would be the right way of saying it, so ideas for a nippon army

taer
02-06-2005, 23:16
Alright, I suggest Dogs of War. The Alcatani Fellowship and pikemen unit are pretty good to represent Ashigaru. The Light cavalry entry is a good way to represent mounted samurai archers, and heavy cavalry without barding are good for samurai warriors on horse. The Duelists with throwing stars are great for ninja. So that's your core choices. For special, the paymasters guard is a good war to represent Samurai on foot with those japanese halberd-like thingies. If you want to dip a little into Mythology, Ogres are Perfect for Oni, since they are the same thing anyway. Asarnil is good for a samurai lord on a dragon, while the other characters in the army fit right in (paymaster just being a BSB). The pegasus mount is perfect for representing Ki-rin (basically a flying horse with fire instead of a main...no wings).

As for converting them, tau mixed with a human sprue (for feet and hands, and possibly some heads). For the mounted samurai, there is a specific empire pistolier that works very well with only a weapon swap, a simple card "bucketing" of the base of his helmet, and a little "bit" for the front helmet horn motif thingie.

Griefbringer
03-06-2005, 11:10
How about using real samurai and ashigaru models, such as the ones sculpted by Perry twins:

http://www.perry-miniatures.com/

taer
03-06-2005, 23:09
I think there is a conspiracy here, that's the second time the Perry twins minis have been plugged on this thread. However, I kinda assume Konrad would like an army that he can run in GW stores and events.

Griefbringer
04-06-2005, 13:40
Well, GW used to make a range of ninja and samurai back in the 80's - you might still be able to get those from mail order.

Konrad_Curze II
09-06-2005, 21:43
ive looked for them but couldnt find them :(
any base models that could be converted into ninja?

anarchistica
10-06-2005, 00:11
Well, GW used to make a range of ninja and samurai back in the 80's - you might still be able to get those from mail order.
The molds were used up and the range was discontinued.

At the fanboys: Did you notice he actually has Nippon as title inside the thread? Maybe he tried to change it from Cathay to Nippon? :p

At Konrad_Curze II: You might want to check out Reaper's Rokugan range (http://www.reapermini.com/gallery/rokugan), and some of their other Asian range as well.

Konrad_Curze II
10-06-2005, 12:11
theyre cool but i was looking for something i could use in my gw store

He Who Laughs
10-06-2005, 14:14
Bit of trivia for you all in regards to the Legend of the Five Rings models:

At least here in Australia, they cost more - model for model - than GW minis :eek:

I was quite surprised when I found that out...

Anyway, back on track - some of the new WE Wardancers would make excellent ninjas if you gave them a bit of a haircut :D

And beastmen conversions would make excellent were-kin like the ones kicking around in Cathay (apparently) - theres a redshirt at our store that has made some insane wolfman and were-tiger conversions using beastmen and grenstuff - not too hard to do either.

Lady Bastet
10-06-2005, 14:37
While on the subject of the Warhammer orient- I always saw Tengu as viable for Nippon either as allies for the actual army or some form of local beastmen.

In 3rd edition Nippon had Warmachines known as Skyrockets.