PDA

View Full Version : post game sequence

abdulaapocolyps
21-07-2011, 06:16
Hi all
Big quest player and my brother and I play bi weekly. However,we have never overly liked th post game sequence.travelling to town is a bit too randomly dangerous for higher level characters and th uneventful day chart is such a liability and a chore.
We usually skip these and allow ourselves to re stock. Obviously that would get a tad boring so I come up with other,tailored events from time to time, we used to allow you to not leave your room!
I was wondering what others thought of th post game sequence and if anyone had come up with some house rules or stuff from other games for it?

Jolly Puggles
21-07-2011, 10:07
I have almost a polar opposite opinion on the 'post-game sequence' (as you call it...I consider it part of the game as a whole). I think I enjoy the travel to and activities in town as much, if not more than actually doing the 'quest' part. The randomness of the various tables is no more random than the draw of the Event deck and is certainly not more dangerous than fighting monsters! You also tend to get more opportunities to play your character in town, so maybe it's just the roleplayer in me that likes it. I mean, when you're down the dungeon it's just a case of hack'n'slash, avoid the trap, finish off the "big bad" and loot all the corpses. In town, you can act the part of the haughty Elf Ranger or the beer-guzzling Dwarf and really let the little things you imagine about your warrior to shine.

DelveLord
21-07-2011, 14:25
I also enjoy the Travel Hazards and Settlement Events. The only problem with using tables for them is that there is a finite number of entries that soon get exhausted. A solution I've thought about is creating online versions of these tables that other community members can contribute entries to. This way, the challenges are always fresh and you never know exactly what you're going to face.

A good start is the Imperial Vault's (http://imperialvault.co.uk/) random Hazards pages, and my own effort on DMMuse.com (http://www.dmmuse.com/WHQ/BeginJourney.aspx).

abdulaapocolyps
21-07-2011, 19:59
It's a funny one isn't it?what I don't like is how it LITTLE role playing it allows.th events don't often give you a choice and a dice roll often defines how your character acts.
I agree that when you first start or when your low level your fine but that I'm a dice roll away from my level 10 imperial noble losing a duel...to who exactly?lol
In dungeon you can use your items,skills and personal resourcefulness to survive,also we allow a sort of roll playing 'what if I want to aim for his eye?' DM by committee thing that feels more roll play.
Maybe a mix of warhammer RPG and quest is what I'm after?

BigRob
22-07-2011, 14:21
Sounds to me like your after WFRP3 which is like Quest with more RP but alot less RP (and more dice/tokens/cards) than the first two editions of WFRP.

Failing that, play WFRP 2 and use boards for the fights?

I am totally with you on the bad dice and repetative events (I have seen a character with 3 little dogs who has been married to several farmers daughters and been sold the pendent of invincibilty in the alehouse more times than is sensible!).

This is where you can make your own encounters, look on the web, use Deathblow/CJ and take a trip to Lustria, Kislev/Southlands for all new encounters, the choice is out there :)

DelveLord
22-07-2011, 16:29
In the Roleplay Section of the RP book it also encourages Gamesmasters to roll for the Travel Hazards (or simply select them without rolling). The GM can go with the Hazards from the table, use Hazards of their own devising, or a combination. So, even with the rules as written for WHQ, the RP version gives the GM total fiat to throw in the events that make the best sense for the game. You can do it in WHQ as written without having to go to WFRP :)

abdulaapocolyps
22-07-2011, 16:43
Perhaps your right...its kind of what we've been doing,with me as sort of player DM.
I'll check out th core rule book for wfb RPG and see what that turns up.
I just feel that bigger tables is not th answer to th lack of control over your characters actions...why can't my uber mage go to th pub and have a nice,quiet drink!lol.
Cheers for your input guys,if anything else springs to mind let me know!

BigRob
22-07-2011, 21:29
why can't my uber mage go to th pub and have a nice,quiet drink!lol.
Cheers for your input guys,if anything else springs to mind let me know!

Again, Citadel Journal and others had rules done for alehouses, going from the roughest of the rough where the Trollslayers drink to the refined and expensive!

Inchpractice
22-07-2011, 22:20
The after game is probably our favourite part. Even if it takes until 4am to finish a quest and we are exhausted we always do the travelling and settlement stuff before we call it a night as we just cannot wait.

I also enjoy the Travel Hazards and Settlement Events. The only problem with using tables for them is that there is a finite number of entries that soon get exhausted. A solution I've thought about is creating online versions of these tables that other community members can contribute entries to. This way, the challenges are always fresh and you never know exactly what you're going to face.

A good start is the Imperial Vault's (http://imperialvault.co.uk/) random Hazards pages, and my own effort on DMMuse.com (http://www.dmmuse.com/WHQ/BeginJourney.aspx).

Do those include the originals as well as the new ones or just new ones?

abdulaapocolyps
25-07-2011, 15:49
Hmm, seems we are in a minority then. Random tables with no choice, though very fun, are a tad too random for our role-playing, even varied ones.

What we are trying next week is an almost adventure book approach with a series of choices leading to a conclusion. May be a bit labour intensive and has to be specific (I can’t find a procedural way to generating this, though I'm sure there is) I'll let you know how it goes and if its fun I may do some tables or a spreadsheet, see if I can get them to develop procedurally...

EldritchGamer
27-07-2011, 10:12
I should say first up I love the various Hazards and Events generated between games of Quest, I think they really help immerse the players in the 'feel' of the Old World, capricious, cruel and just plain silly as they sometimes are.

A big change I'd like to see is to increase the likelihood of an Uneventful Week, perhaps from 1/6 (in the Roleplay Book) to 1/3 or 1/4. This should smooth out the journey between games. Something similar for the Settlement Events as well.

I know the Journal has different types of drinking establishments, I can't remember if these came with separate tables of new events though.

There are a couple of sites out there that have extra Travelling Hazards, Settlement Events or Alehouse Events on them if you need more variation (I agree there is only so many times a Warrior can be betrothed), including:
The Imperial Vault (http://imperialvault.co.uk/warhammer-quest-rules/warhammer-quest-settlements/) (Disclaimer: It's my site so I'm highly biased, but more content is added every week)
D.M. Muse (http://www.dmmuse.com/WHQ/BeginJourney.aspx) (Belongs to DelveLord)
The Museum (http://wquest.free.fr/) - Search for Hazard or whatever under the Rules section

Between these sites you should get a fair bit of variation for your Travelling Hazards. I'd love to get them all merged into one uber-database of Hazards one day...

This should avoid the same things happening time and time again on your travels. You should feel free to prune those events that seem too unrealistic, or perhaps marking some as unique so that they are re-rolled if encountered again.

And of course, you can get your hands dirty and write some of your own events to use in your games and even submit them to some of the sites above to share the wealth.

** Phew, I should pause for breath now ;)

abdulaapocolyps
27-07-2011, 16:57
haha, yeah, thanks, I'm a member of all the above sites and they are ACE! Kudos on the Vault site BTW.
Again though, my problem is not lack of variation, but lack of power over the situation at hand. It's choice / role playing I'm after more than events happening and me just losing stuff or reacting in a certain way that I don't think I would do... :)

I like the idea of increasing the chance of an uneventful day. The events that occure are a nightmare some times and I really dread my dude being in a town for more than a week. It doesn't help that if you use some of the warrior packs your uneventful day can screw you over too! :)
The suggestions so far seem to be bigger tables... I'll let you know how the idea for some kind of multi choice proceedurally generated thing goes :) I am hopeing to look at it this weekend

EldritchGamer
27-07-2011, 17:34
I'd love to see how the choice thing goes, I'm semi-obsessed with writing new events at the moment so expanding this mechanism is something I'm very interested in :-)

abdulaapocolyps
03-08-2011, 21:15
Hey guys.

Right, I have finished the beta for the post game encounter generator I've been working on. It needs a bit of work doing to it and I have not vetted it to make sure it is perfect etc, but if anyone would like to have a look at it, please PM me your Email and I'll send it to you.

It's a Bar room generator by the way. I also have a quick monster table and treasure table generator that I am making easier to set up, I'll let you know how that goes.

P.S. I have not locked any of the sheets and there are lots of things left in this version that don;t actually do anything yet! :) If you know your excel and have a look through the sheet, I apologies in advance for the inefficiency of some of it :)
Cheers

abdulaapocolyps
06-08-2011, 06:46
P.s.I can't post excel document here for dome reason so if you would like a copy of that event generator sheet I will need an email or something

Botjer
06-08-2011, 15:02
botjer@gmail.com

abdulaapocolyps
06-08-2011, 16:10
cheers mate, sent. I'd take that post down soon just in case you start getting spammed or something.
Also, please post any nice things you have to say about the Beta on here so everyone can see how much you love me ;)

cheers

abdulaapocolyps
13-08-2011, 01:27
Right,my dungeon generator spreadsheet is pretty much finished (generates items and monsters)
Also,I have finished the bar room generator sheet,so just give me a pm with email and I'll send them.
Cheers.

Kijamon
30-08-2011, 11:42
I always take the gamble, dying is as much a part of the game as levelling to 10. Make it harder on yourself

abdulaapocolyps
31-08-2011, 20:18
Do you not find it defies the point when your level 10 gets 'captured by slavers' or ambushed and beaten up by bandits...fricking bandits?your like Teclis power!?lol.
The post game sequence does not level with you so some of the results become ludicrous I find. My bar sim sheet has lots of possibilities in it that require a roll of d6 plus your battle level,which helps to scale the results,and also gives some choices,so at least some of it is roll playing.
Pm me and I'll send you a copy if you like?