PDA

View Full Version : DIY Inquisitorial Strike Force Codex

Getz
29-07-2011, 23:05
As discussed at some length a while ago in a different thread, I was sore disappointed to discover that the GK codex wasn't much cop at representing Inquisitorial forces. So, in the spirit of adventure and being pro-active I've decided to come up with my own - after a fashion...

You see, it occurred to me that nearly all the units required to make an Inquisitorial strike force already exist in one form or another - just scattered across several codexes. By grouping them all together and assigning them a FO slot and possibly restricting certain unit availability you could pretty much create a Inquisition strike force codex without having to invent a single unit, write any rules or come up with any point costs.

Obviously this only works if you assume that all units are costed in respect to all others, rather than relative to their codex, but work with me here...

The list would look a like this...

HQ

1+ Inquisitor which may be:
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor (Codex GK)
Ordo Xenos Inquisitor (Codex GK)
Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor (Codex GK)
Any of the Inquisitorial Special Characters (Codex GK)

An Inquisitor may purchase a retinue using the Henchmen rules from Codex GK. He can have a Repressor or Aquila Lander as a dedicated transport.

Adeptus Mechanicus Secutor (Master of the Forge - Codex SM)
An Ad-Mech Secutor can take a retinue of Servitors as per Codex SM

Space Marine Captain (Codex SM)
A SM Captain can take a Command squad as per Codex SM

Elites

0-1 Interrogator and Henchmen Squad per Inquisitor (Commissar with Platoon HQ wargear options - Codex IG, replaces one Henchman from Codex GK)

0-1 Primaris Psyker (Codex IG)

0-1 Culexus Assassin (Codex GK)
0-1 Vindicare Assassin (Codex GK)
0-1 Eversor Assassin (Codex GK)
0-1 Callidus Assassin (Codex GK)

Ministorum Priests: 0-5 but don't take up FOC slots (Codex IG)

Techpriest Enginseer: 0-2 but don't take up FOC slots (Codex IG)

If you have an Ordo Malleus Inquisitor
0-1 Grey Knight Terminator Squad

If you have an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor
0-1 Deathwatch Killteam (Sternguard Veterans - Codex SM)

If you have an Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor
0-1 Celestian Squad (Codex SoB)

If you have an Adeptus Mechanicus Secutor
0-1 Praetorian Squad (Chaos Terminator Squad - Codex CSM)

If you have a Space Marine Captain:
0-1 Assault or Tactical Terminator Squad (Codex SM)

Troops

0-1 Henchmen Squad per Inquisitor (Codex GK)

0-1 Household Troops (Imperial Guard infantry platoon - Codex IG)

Inquisitorial Stormtroopers: May take Rhinos or Valkyries as dedicated transports (Stormtroopers - Codex IG)

Adeptus Arbites Squads: May take Repressors as dedicated transports (Imperial Guard Veterans restricted to two specials and no heavy with complusory shotguns and Carapace armour - Codex IG)

If you have an Ordo Malleus Inquistor
0-2 Power Armoured Grey Knight Squads (Codex GK)

0-2 Battle Sister Squads (Codex SoB)

If you have an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor
0-2 of the following:
Kroot Mercenary Squad (Codex Tau)
Eldar Ranger Squad (Codex Eldar)
Blood Axe Freeboota Squad (Ork Kommando Squad - Codex Orks)
Tallarian Dog Soldiers (Space Marine Scouts with Shotguns - Codex SM)

0-2 Skitari Squads (6-12 Warrior Henchmen with Carapace including one "Sergeant" Henchman with Close combat wargear and two with specials. The rest have Hotshot lasguns - Codex GK)

0-2 Tactical Squads (Codex SM)

Dedicated Transports
Units have access to whatever dedicated transports their codex would normally allow in addition to any others I have listed, except for Arbites, which may only take Repressors as dedicated transports.

Fast Attack

Guncutter (Stormraven Gunship - Codex BA)

Immolator (Codex SoB)

0-1 Land Speeder Storm Squadron - 1-3 per squadron (Codex SM, but not restricted to transporting Scouts)

0-1 Assault Marine Squad (Codex SM)

Heavy Support

Land Raider (Codex SM)

Vulture Gunship (Imperial Armour Volume 1)

Knight Titan (Defiler, ideally with the old Mutated hull upgrade for +30 points - Codex CSM)

0-1 Legio Cybernetica Battle Robot Maniple (Armoured Sentinel Squadron - Codex IG)

0-1 Dreadnought (Codex SM)

And there you have it...

As you can probably tell the idea is that you can field an "all Inquisition" force if you like, but by taking an SM or Ad-Mech character you can represent an Inquisitor calling on one of his allies for the Mission. Although an Inquistor has limited access to "Imperial Guard-like" units, stuff has had to go seriously pear-shaped for an Inquistor to need the services of the Imperial Guard proper, and that is best reserved for Apocalypse scale games.

I hope you like it.

Godgolden
29-07-2011, 23:21
Damn son, i love it!

The only critique (as i have already professed my love) is the lack of restriction on the heavies.

Possible inclusion are the Contemptor pattern dreadnaught rules for more legio robotica

Drakcore Bloodtear
29-07-2011, 23:43
I think its an awesome idea, really flexible!

But do all Ordo Xenos Inquisitor use Xenos, or just radicals?

Getz
29-07-2011, 23:49
The only critique (as i have already professed my love) is the lack of restriction on the heavies.

Oops, that was a mistake - let me correct that...

But do all Ordo Xenos Inquisitor use Xenos, or just radicals?

Well, strictly just the radicals, but the kind of forces the Ordo Xenos Puritans would use are represented by the unrestricted elite and troop choices.

magikjoka
30-07-2011, 00:06
You sir just solve a problem for my friend's inquisitor army; he was at loss when new Grey Knights came out.

Santtu
30-07-2011, 00:11
I would remove units that have little to do with the Inquisition (Adeptus Mechanicus units, priests) and replace Adeptus Arbites with normal Battle Sisters. Deatwatch Kill-teams should be available only with Xenos inquisitors.

rodmillard
30-07-2011, 00:24
I would make Arbites an unrestricted unit and have Battle Sisters as the OH troop option. In fluff its just as likely that the Arbites call in the =I= to deal with threats they can't handle.

Getz
30-07-2011, 00:27
I would remove units that have little to do with the Inquisition (Adeptus Mechanicus units, priests) and replace Adeptus Arbites with normal Battle Sisters. Deatwatch Kill-teams should be available only with Xenos inquisitors.

Well, the Ad-Mech stuff is in there because they are one of the agencies an Inquisitor can potentially call on for support if he has enough influence with them.

Also, I just like the Ad-Mech.

Point taken on Deathwatch. I've made them the OX Elite unit and replaced them as a generic Elite choice with the Primaris Psyker. I've also added an Interrogator (Commissar) to the Elite Henchman unit to make them a bit more, well, Elite...

I didn't want to over-do Sisters because traditionally they are not supposed to be the Chamber Militant of the Ordo Hereticus, but rather yet another agency the Inquisition can attempt to call on for support. Also, the Adeptus Arbites are very much supposed to be a force that the Ordo Hereticus can call on making them the logical choice for the Hereticus' special troops.

I would make Arbites an unrestricted unit and have Battle Sisters as the OH troop option. In fluff its just as likely that the Arbites call in the =I= to deal with threats they can't handle.

Good Compromise - consider it done...

Getz
30-07-2011, 01:11
Moment of inspiration!

I've added a few extra Alien Mercenary options and made them all the OX special troop option - you can have any two, but you can't have more than two...

Lord of Divine Slaughter
30-07-2011, 08:36
I'd remove the henchmen from Troops and replace with Stormtroopers

Drone
30-07-2011, 09:00
Well, the Ad-Mech stuff is in there because they are one of the agencies an Inquisitor can potentially call on for support if he has enough influence with them.

While true, you can, as it stands at the moment, build a list with nothing but Ad-Mech units. Which, while nice (I like them too), doesn't seem quite right.

Getz
30-07-2011, 10:17
Not entirely - at least one Inquisitor is compulsory

csm001
30-07-2011, 10:43
Awesome idea! Thank you, sir.

May I suggest...

Fast Attack
0-2 Seraphim Squads (Codex WH)

What about Librarians for OX?

Master_of_Asgard
30-07-2011, 12:00
This is awesome and should go as a sticky somewhere!

Commotionpotion
30-07-2011, 12:01
I like what you've done here...it's a very colourful force as well, and would look striking on the tabletop. Going even more old-school, I think it would work as a Rogue Trader expeditionary force, too - don't know if you considered making an RT and his retinue a distinctive choice, but any of the Inquisitors, especially the OX variety, could easily be repurposed.