PDA

View Full Version : warhammer battle report-Wood Elves VS High Elves 2000pts

dreamspirit
02-08-2011, 20:27
Hey guys, we're looking to get back into warhammer, so here is the first of many battle reports to come. It was a great game, I hope you'll enjoy it, and if you do, please subscribe ;)

Milos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRDYlQhIXnI

P.S. sorry if this thread don't belong here, I can't seem to find the right one :confused:

CaptBenedict
02-08-2011, 21:10
Thank you very much for that. Very tense all the way and seems like you chaps are having a blast! I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to seeing how it ends.

I'm rooting for the Woodies to pull a win though...

hashrat
02-08-2011, 22:14
This may be a dumb question, but did you say you wounded a bolt throwe and a crew member?

Wouldn't you uust lose both crew and therefore the thrower?

Interesting report, I hope both sides lose and Bretonnia reclaims their forest in the aftermath. :)

Col. Dash
02-08-2011, 22:18
I am writing as I watch for things and am adding running commentary.
The 2nd bolt thrower at turn one, he is above 24" since neither him nor the target have moved meaning he gets a -1 to hit. I didnt see what the 6th dice that rolls off camera did but all of the shots that stayed on missed, unless they somehow have a ballistic skill of 5.
Oh I recommend not using those sticks unless they recast them recently as they are progressively innacurate the farther up it you go by over an inch at the end. Tape measures are your friend.
-why did you cast toughness on your highborn instead of the treekin who were going to get charged the next turn or does that spell only affect single models?
-LOL best HoD shot I have ever seen
-You might want to read up on shooting warmachines. You cant shoot the crew anymore and have to beat the machine's toughness. Each wound it take you pull a crewman if he doesnt make his armor save.

I look forward to hearing the rest of it. Rooting for the WE.

dreamspirit
02-08-2011, 23:03
thanks for the fast replies guys, I appreciate it very much. I have to say something in our defense: we really haven't played the 8th edition at all until now. Somehow we just went with the ''8th edition sucks'' first impression and now when we wanted to pick up where we left, we realized it's not bad at all, and that we forgot most of the rules lol. Like that one for shooting at warmachines.

@Col. Dash: Not sure about the spell, but I think it's character only spell. Signature one from the Beasts lore affects units. Besides, they're not gonna be charged ;)

As for the HoD: thanks I practiced a lot :D

Again, thanks all, we'll try to make less mistakes, and definitely continue making bat reps. What do you think of the scenery?

Milos

BertusB
03-08-2011, 08:38
Hi mate, looked like a great battle! I noticed one thing, the Wood Elf player deployed his 6" forest in the middle of the battlefield, but the FAQ on the GW site says that you have to put it in your own deployment zone now... Can't wait for more!

dreamspirit
03-08-2011, 10:24
Oh really? That sucks. We played by the rule that you can deploy it in your half of the battlefield but deployment zone? How do people make a use of it then? Anyway, thanks for the tip and for the comment.

Milos

BBWags
03-08-2011, 13:40
Hi mate, looked like a great battle! I noticed one thing, the Wood Elf player deployed his 6" forest in the middle of the battlefield, but the FAQ on the GW site says that you have to put it in your own deployment zone now... Can't wait for more!

No, it's your half of the table. They did it right. Don't confuse the poor guys!

Concerning the report, I apologize that I didn't watch much of it. I have a hard time with video reports because the shaky cam effect tends to make me sea-sick... But I did notice one thing. In turn one, the HE player seemed to move the dragon princes simply by measuring the distance then picking up the unit and plonking it down. This would be fine if they were fast cav and could reform as they move as much as they want, but dragon princes have to wheel and move just like everyone else.

Sorry if that's being picky, but moving correctly is a big difference between FB and 40k.

b4z
03-08-2011, 14:06
BBWags you are incorrect.

Wood Elves Army Book
Page 18 – Woodland Ambush
"In Pitches Battles, just after the roll for table sides,
but before any units have been deployed,
the Wood Elf player can place an extra wood
(no larger than 6" in diameter) anywhere in his half of the table."

Wood Elves FAQ 1.2 (22-12-2010)
Page 18 – Woodland Ambush
Change the second sentence to
"In Pitched Battles, just after the roll for deployment zones,
but before any units have been deployed,
the Wood Elf player can place an extra wood
(no larger than 6" in diameter) anywhere in his deployment zone."

BBWags
03-08-2011, 22:05
Awwe crap, I read the errata/ FAQ twice. I'm not sure how I missed that... That stinks! As if WE weren't going to have a hard enough time of it as it is!

dreamspirit
03-08-2011, 22:52
We're drifting of the subject but why would you use woods now? It'll probably make trouble in the deployment and how can you move it so that it actually serves you? Sure you can save your models from shooting a bit, but is that it? WE players, how do you use the forest, if you use it at all?

PurpleSun
04-08-2011, 00:15
I also recently discovered that you can only deploy it in your deployment zone. I imagine that it would be good for creating a bunker for a spellweaver if you are using wardancer bodyguards. They would be stubborn in there and you could spellsing it forward to keep your spellweaver in range with his spells.

dreamspirit
04-08-2011, 00:38
very clever Purple Sun, I'd be interested to try that out

BBWags
04-08-2011, 01:31
Sorry to further hijack the thread, but is the free WE forest always considered a normal non-magical forest or do you need to roll for it on the terrain chart just like other forests?

PurpleSun
04-08-2011, 02:21
very clever Purple Sun, I'd be interested to try that out

Sorry to highjack your post even further, but this really got me thinking. Is there any reason that a spellweaver cannot join a unit of waywatchers? If he could, then drop a unit of waywatchers in your free wood, then put your spellweaver in there, and if anyone tries to shoot at the unit, it will be at -3 to hit (skirmish, foreststalker, light cover from woods). They would also be stubborn like the wardancers. If you took Lore of Life, you could increase their toughness if the unit gets hit in CC. I'll have to contemplate this further.

dreamspirit
04-08-2011, 04:04
Would you open a new thread on that, I'd like to see what would other say on the subject. I don't mind discussing it here at all, after all it's all warhammer talk, but I'd definitely like to hear what other WE players think about this. It does sound interesting to try, but you won't be able to move the woods unless you have a treeman or brainchwrath, and even then it would be hard. At this point I think I was happier without knowing the FAQ change lol.

dreamspirit
06-08-2011, 01:18
part II is uploaded, enjoy :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnLwk1EORk8

Aluinn
07-08-2011, 18:57
We're drifting of the subject but why would you use woods now? It'll probably make trouble in the deployment and how can you move it so that it actually serves you? Sure you can save your models from shooting a bit, but is that it? WE players, how do you use the forest, if you use it at all?

Mainly, it helps you a lot if you can arrange to fight someone with a Skirmishing unit that is inside the wood. This is because that unit (ideally, Dryads) will be Stubborn, whereas an opposing unit with ranks will not be able to gain Steadfast (as long as they're also at least partially in there). That pretty much gets you around the main problem with Dryads; other than the usual drawbacks of being Skirmishers, they're awesome in combat!

It also increases the damage you can deal with Awakening of the Wood if you're using Lore of Life (2D6 S6 hits on a unit in a wood if you have Throne of Vines up is pretty solid :)).

Last, there is the option to move it around with Treesinging to help accomplish the above, block line of sight, or move a unit around (though it has to be pretty small to fit entirely within the wood), but I have to say that I don't rate Lore of Athel Loren very highly compared to Lore of Life or even Beasts.

Thanks for the battle report by the way, and I think you guys make some really nice terrain, too.

dreamspirit
07-08-2011, 19:52
thank you for the tactical tips and the comments, we appreciate it, and more content will follow..Cheers,

Milos