PDA

View Full Version : 1,500 pts. O&G, coming back player to 8th edition

gab-skull trasher
02-08-2011, 22:39
Well after leaving Warhammer for a long time (we only played Warhammer 40k for the past year & so) during the last edition, me and my bros decided to finally come back to play Warhammer and try out the new edition. So me and my brother are planning to play a 1,500 point game to try to get used to all the new rules from the new book, (at least me), and the new edition of the rules. This will be my first game using the new O&G book and the first game using 8th edition, so I just wanted to know people opinions on my army because I would like to know how easy it will be to transit from 7th edition to 8th edition, is the army legal? (still getting used to the %'s), and if it looks like a good army?...Here's the list:

Night Goblin Shaman 85pts.
-Level 2 Wizard

-Level 2 Wizard

Core:

Night Goblin Hordex50 205pts.
-Full Command, Spears, Fanatic

Night Goblin Hordex50 205pts.
-Full Command, Spears, Fanatic

Night Goblin Hordex20 60pts.
-Bows

-Bows

Special:

Black Orc Hordex25 360pts.
-Full Command, Shields

Goblin Spear Chukka 35pts.

Orc Boar Chariot 85pts.

Orc Boar Chariot 85pts.

Rare:

Giant 200pts.

Total:....1,500pts.

I've been playing Orcs & Goblins for quite a while know (since 2007), unfortunately I love to collect different armies which means that all my armies are half way done :( (2 Warhammer armies, 4 40k armies, & 2 Lotr armies). I started gathering an army heavy on Orcz with some goblins as support, but before I left my O&G's for Orks in 40K I started shifting to a Night Goblin theme army, but because of the price rise of games workshop I wasn't able to expand my Night Goblin army and get the hitting power I wanted for them, (meaning a Great Cave Squig hero, Squig hoppers units and a Squig Herd), and so that's why I threw in what I believed to be hard hitting units on my army. So if any Orc player out there, or maybe someone who constantly faces Orc players on the new edition could help me out with some doubts...

Having played a lot on the past editions with my Night Goblin army I know that I really need hard hitting units to complement my Night Goblin units, so do you guys think that a big unit of Black Orcz, the Boar Chariots and the Giant are good complements to the army?

I trust the big units of Night Goblins to hold the enemy and with that many attacks hopefully be able to do some damage. But really how effective are Hordes overall?, I just put everything as hordes cause they just look cool like that :D

And what are people opinions on the Shamans?, I used to run the same thing in my past armies but I don't know how effective they are now, the Waagh's just don't look as good to me as they were before.

And of course any opinons or comments on anything else is welcome :), thanks...

JustinDonnelly
03-08-2011, 08:52
Hiya,

Your army is in dire need of a higher leaderhship! LD 5 with no BSB means you will fail 26 from 36 leadership tests! A NG warboss will set you back a whoooping 55 points and that will give you a LD 7 and a NG BSB will cost you 60 points allowing that 7 to be rerolled. Meaning your (hopefully) steadfast goblin units have a 20/36 chance of passing with a reroll. I would also consider sticking the 15 point (i think) standard of discipline on your BSB and stick him in the unit with your general. This increases the LD of the unit by 1. Therefore increasing the generals LD to 8 which can be passed on to other units. (the only down side of that item is that it doesnt allow you to use the generals inspiring presance rule but as he is in the unit this is nothing to worry about)

I would drop the 2nd unit of bowmen and the giant (giants to me are just giant pin cushions). This will free up 260 points.

Up fanatics in all your units so each has 2 (100 points), Buy a NG warboss (55), NG BSB with standard of discipline (75) and get a dispel scroll for 1 of your wizards to stop that game chaging spell (25).

This will leave you with 5 points :)

I wouldnt run your B'orks in a horde as there isnt enought. But the NG spearmen will give you 40 attacks!

On another note. I like the little waaghh spells. I like getting a low level NG shaman (if he gets lucky and gets the template spell (is it curse of the bad moon?). Running him, or hand of gorking him down the flank of an enemy then 6 dice casting the extended version down the enemy lines. As the template cant stay over a unit and has to pass 1" away from it, often meaning that it hits another unit, this is a very deadly spell. Also spell 2, giving poision attacks to a horde of night gobbos, 40 attacks now just become posioned!

Just my thoughts, other people may not play the same way as i do but im sure you will get other feedback from those :D

gab-skull trasher
03-08-2011, 21:02
Thanks for your feedback JustinDonnelly, it's always welcome :)

Yes I know LD has always been my problem, I was thinking of getting a Night Goblin Warboss for his LD but since I would always use two Shamans before I didn't take him, but I think I'm going to switch my list a little. I played a game yesterday against my brothers Empire but even though I won I was dissapointed and some stuff.

First and mainly my Shamans, one of them on the first turn got irresistible force and got the one that makes him go down D3 levels and he went down Lvl 0, so I pretty much lost a Shaman there, the second one that same turn managed to give posion to my archers who then killed 3 Swordsmen, next turn he failed to do anything, and the next he got his spell dispel by a dispel scroll. Of course this was the first game using the new O&G book maybe I just got unlucky, though I expected more from them since they've always been good to me.

The other thing was the archers, and I agree on dropping a unit of archers yeah they killed 3 swordsmen, they wounded a cannon twice :eek: so many sixes were rolled that turn :D so two crew died, and 2 Halberdiers from a horde. So yeah again I expected a little more from them but to tell the truth I think the best thing they did the whole game was when a unit got overrun by Greatswordsmen and they managed to kill 3 of them :angel:.

And I don't know but I really liked the Black Orcs, after getting charged by a Halberdier horde, which was hurt by one of my spear chukkas that hit it twice and killed 4 halberdiers twice they managed to kill 4 Black Orcs and his Hero another one but in return I killed 15 Halberdiers and that's when he gave up as his unit was about to run and his wizard behind the unit most likely was going to get overrun and killed which was half of what he had left. And the giant well he spend half the game getting shot and half the game stuck in combat with a swordsmen unit which he held till the game ended so I was a bit dissapointed but happy with him too.

But well here's the list I'm planning after what I saw during the game yesterday:

Lords/Heroes:

Night Goblin Warboss 55pts.

Core:

Night Goblin Hordex50 230pts.
-Full Command, Spears, Fanaticx2

Night Goblin Hordex50 220pts.
-Boss & Standard Bearer, Spears, Fanaticx2

-Bows

Special:

Black Orc Hordex25 360pts.
-Full Command, Shields

Orc Boar Chariot 85pts.

Orc Boar Chariot 85pts.

Rare:

Giant 200pts.

Stone Trollx3 135pts.

Total:....1,500pts.

So the changes I did was drop the Shamans, a musician and drop a unit of archers. In return I got a Night Goblin Warboss, 2 more fanatics and 3 Stone Trolls since I had better Leadership this time around. I'm not sure about the Standard Bearer cause if I do give him the Discpline banner then it defeats the purpose of having a good LD Lord to keep my army in place instead of just his unit. And the Trolls apart from having the LD to keep them under control I didn't really knew what to use :p

JustinDonnelly
04-08-2011, 08:29
I'm not sure about the Standard Bearer cause if I do give him the Discpline banner then it defeats the purpose of having a good LD Lord to keep my army in place instead of just his unit

If you take a BSB with the standard of discipline and stick him in the same unit as your general it will not affect using your generals LD.

If a unit has the standard then they cannot use the generals inspiring presence rule, but as the genral is in that unit that rule is not needed. So the unit gets the benifit of +1 LD (8) and every unit within 12 of the general and BSB get a rerollable 8. Which is a godsend with goblin armys!

Personally i would still drop the giant, but alot of O&G players seem to have differing opinions on them. Personally i think they are overpriced for what they can do and with no armour......well, the only thing they are good for is taking enemy fire while your army advances!

As for losing your shaman, i would try to keep one lvl 2. The goblin signiature spell is good if you dont roll a decent few spells giving you armour piercing and rerolls if your in the flank/rear.

My opinion: Drop giant (-200), get BSB (75), Lvl 2 gobbo shaman with a dispel scroll (110), maybe get the 6+ ward talisman (is it talisman of protection) on your general (15)

But the list looks good. Best thing to do it play with it and just change the things you dont like or that dont perform like you want them to. :D

Cragum
05-08-2011, 03:25
if i was you. change that night goblin warboss to a standard goblin warboss. the reason he is there is to give leadership. theres a point higher for not many points cost so its worth it. I do it all the time and when my opponents suddenly go what leadership has that unit got!

gab-skull trasher
06-08-2011, 04:37
If you take a BSB with the standard of discipline and stick him in the same unit as your general it will not affect using your generals LD.

If a unit has the standard then they cannot use the generals inspiring presence rule, but as the genral is in that unit that rule is not needed. So the unit gets the benifit of +1 LD (8) and every unit within 12 of the general and BSB get a rerollable 8. Which is a godsend with goblin armys!

Ohh ok, my bad maybe I misread something, I misunderstood something but well that's good to know thanks for clearing that up for me.

Personally i would still drop the giant, but alot of O&G players seem to have differing opinions on them. Personally i think they are overpriced for what they can do and with no armour......well, the only thing they are good for is taking enemy fire while your army advances!

As for losing your shaman, i would try to keep one lvl 2. The goblin signiature spell is good if you dont roll a decent few spells giving you armour piercing and rerolls if your in the flank/rear.

My opinion: Drop giant (-200), get BSB (75), Lvl 2 gobbo shaman with a dispel scroll (110), maybe get the 6+ ward talisman (is it talisman of protection) on your general (15)

But the list looks good. Best thing to do it play with it and just change the things you dont like or that dont perform like you want them to. :D

Well I really like the giant, it was a rare game the day that he fails to do much, but those are rare...And I know I feel weird playing without any shamans, before this edition I never played a game without at least one, but I don't like the new little Waagh the only spells that I like as you mention already are the Poison one and the Armour Piercing, re-roll on the flank/rear...But yes that's my plan haha, I'm actually going to play a game with my bro later on at 1,500 points so I'll use my current list and then see how it goes, if things don't really go as plan I'm probably going to change the Giant for the mentions above cause I might regret not taking at least one Shaman (I'm pretty sure he's going to use Lizardmen this time) and I'm really starting to like the idea of re-rollable LD XD

if i was you. change that night goblin warboss to a standard goblin warboss. the reason he is there is to give leadership. theres a point higher for not many points cost so its worth it. I do it all the time and when my opponents suddenly go what leadership has that unit got!

Yeah I understand, ever since the last edition I've been tempted to use common Goblin heroes for the extra point of leadership that comes with them (which is great) and yeah he's not expensive, it's just that he doesn't fit in with the theme of my army cause I run a Night Goblin army, well it probably doesn't look like a good Night Goblin army but that's cause I'm still getting used to this edition and well I still don't have enough hard hitting units (Squig Herds, Squig Hoppers) to make it an all Night Goblin army, I have Skarsnik but Idk I don't use Name characters much and I don't like the idea of using Special Characters in such low games, maybe in a 2,000 game :)

gab-skull trasher
10-08-2011, 08:18
I hadn't check on Warseer for a while, but well I was looking for an opinion on a new army list I made, but I didn't want to make a whole new post for it, since I just made some changes to my old list though it's more than before. Well my past two games using the new edition and the new O&G book had been good, I won both against my older brothers Empire and Lizardmen, but I decided to try some new units and take out some units I wasn't too happy about their performances. So I just wanted to know what people thoughts were about this list:...C&C welcome :)...

Lords/Heroes:

Night Goblin Warboss 55pts.

Night Goblin Big Boss 70pts.
-Battle Standard Bearer, Standard of Discipline

Core:

Orc Boyz Hordex40 315pts.
-Full Command, Additional Hand Weapon

-Bows

Special:

Night Goblins Squig Herd 97pts.
-Cave Squigx11, Night Goblin x3

Night Goblins Squig Herd 97pts.
-Cave Squigx11, Night Goblin x3

Orc Boar Chariot 85pts.

Orc Boar Chariot 85pts.

Trollsx3 105pts.

Rare:

-

Total:....1,499pts.

Lords/Heroes: 0-375 (125pts.)
Core: 375-1,500 (835pts.)
Special: 0-750 (539pts.)
Rare: 0-375 (0pts.)

I took out the giant cause he wasn't performing as well as I wanted him to perform, I changed the Stone trolls for regular trolls, and I took out the Black Orc Horde (though this guys, the only reason I took them out was cause I wanted to try out a big horde of boyz, during both games they were my best unit). The new things I added were the BSB, the Big horde of Boyz, and the couple of units of Squig herds. I had an extra 30 pts to use somewhere and I decided to use them on the Magic Banner and on an extra Squig for each unit. But if anyone has a better idea of where to put those points it's welcome.

Robotlord
10-08-2011, 09:29
I know it's 1.5k but why are you sticking to no magic. NG shamans being what they are (cheap) you could easily get 1 or 2 in this army without having to drop too much.

Cragum
10-08-2011, 21:44
take off an orc boar chariot id say for tougher shaman. it will be more worth its points protection wise.

gab-skull trasher
11-08-2011, 19:02
I know it's 1.5k but why are you sticking to no magic. NG shamans being what they are (cheap) you could easily get 1 or 2 in this army without having to drop too much.

Well is not that I don't like magic, or I'm trying to avoid them, just that I don't like the little waagh! that much since there's only 3 spells that I like. But I do use them every now and then.

take off an orc boar chariot id say for tougher shaman. it will be more worth its points protection wise.

Haha I know I used to use them on almost every list, just that the new spells let me down, comparing them to the ones from before.

Well what do people think of this then:

Lords/Heroes:

Night Goblin Warboss 61pts.
-Great Weapon

Night Goblin Big Boss 55pts.
-Battle Standard Bearer

-Level 2 Wizard

Night Goblin Shaman 75pts.
Dispel Scroll

Core:

Orc Boyz Hordex40 315pts.