PDA

View Full Version : Timewarp - Max 10" or not?

Azrothan
09-08-2011, 04:46
Was reading this thread (http://z7.invisionfree.com/wyrmling_x/index.php?showtopic=8736&st=0) on the Daemonic Legion and saw that Birona's Timewarp had been FAQ'd from movement to movement allowance.

Does this mean it's double M up to max 10 (for a 20" march, 10 being the max of characteristics of a model), unless random movement?
What about models with the 'fly' special rule, does it affect them other than on the charge (and perhaps not even then if max 10)?

They say that tournaments play it as twice the movement allowance even if it brings it over 10 (Knights getting move 16 instead of 8 for example, marching 32"). What do you guys think?

decker_cky
09-08-2011, 04:55
Yup. Max 10 unless random movement.

Mr_Rose
09-08-2011, 10:06
The maximum value for any non-random characteristic is 10 as per (some really early page in the RB, like three or something). The Fly special rule is not related to a model's Movement Allowance, so it is not affected by Birona's Timewarp at all.
As for tournaments, they are perfectly within their rights to make up whatever house rules they want just as much as you are. You don't have to use them though and, personally, I recommend not making up any rules until you've got the real rules fixed in your head and played a few games with them first.

Mage
09-08-2011, 11:38
So it won't affect the movement of a fiend of slaanesh at all (but still prvide other effects)?

Tregar
09-08-2011, 11:56
I think I made a topic here a while ago asking this question. The consensus seemed to be that you can't go over 10". So I stopped doing that. Since, I've read quite a few battle reports where the players have done exactly that, and far more abusively too (e.g. casting on Steam Tank for a 30" charge)! Just can't win...

Fieos
09-08-2011, 13:44
Steam tank is different and not limited to the 10" movevement. FAQ clearly states that the Steam tank's movement can be modified by spells as well.

It is crazy, but clearly within the rules. We laugh at that rule and just mentally picture Dark Helmet inside telling his crew to prepare for Ludicrous Speed! Honestly those impact hits from 30" movement should have HKB on a 4+ and if it fails a dangerous terrain test everything within 8D6" should take D6 str 10 hits :)

It's a game, have fun!

hamsterwheel
09-08-2011, 13:58
As Fieos pointed out:

Q: Does Birona’s Timewarp affect units with the Random
Movement or other movement special rules? (Reference)
A: Yes, however far they can normally move, it will be doubled.
For example, a unit with the Random Movement (2D6)
special rule rolls a 9. This would then be doubled to 18

Thus a Steam tank can charge 30 inches.

Tregar
09-08-2011, 14:36
It's a game, have fun!

I prefer it if both players get to have their fun! If the Steam Tank can charge 30", why can't a unit of cavalry move 16" (+ charge/march distance)?

Sure, if the rules say that the Steam Tank may move in excess of 10" (which, clearly, it can, otherwise it'd be a bit of a waste to ever use 4 or more steam points), then fine, yeah, go for it. But let's not praise a set of inconsistent rules that let a tank double its speed but not let other models do the same!

Mr_Rose
09-08-2011, 15:24
Wait, does the steam tank even have a Movement Allowance? I thought it moved a certain distance per SP spent and that distance had nothing to do with its M characteristic… Under those circumstances I dont think the Timewarp would affect the tank's movement rate at all.

T10
09-08-2011, 16:34
The Steam tank's movement rules are not tied to a Movement characteristic but is in stead specified in its rules.

That being said, I seem to recall that the Empire or Dwarf FAQ adresses the issue with the Anvil of Doom and the Steam Tank, and that the Rune of What-not would indeed reduce the Tank's speed to 1.5" per steam point. (a brief check reveals this to be in the Empire FAQ)

This seems to suggest that the Steam Tank's speed is indeed affected by effects that modify the Movement characteristic. Odd.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr_Rose
09-08-2011, 17:15
The Steam tank's movement rules are not tied to a Movement characteristic but is in stead specified in its rules.

That being said, I seem to recall that the Empire or Dwarf FAQ adresses the issue with the Anvil of Doom and the Steam Tank, and that the Rune of What-not would indeed reduce the Tank's speed to 1.5" per steam point. (a brief check reveals this to be in the Empire FAQ)

This seems to suggest that the Steam Tank's speed is indeed affected by effects that modify the Movement characteristic. Odd.
I guess that depends on whether the rune of slow-ya'-down affects your Movement Allowance or just how far you move (we already know these are separate concepts because you can march).

hamsterwheel
09-08-2011, 17:17
The faq covers both Random movement and "other special movement rules," which would include how the Steam tank moves.

Kalandros
09-08-2011, 18:17
But anything else, such as Screamers, or Fiends, etc, will not have a non-march move above 10" and no marching 40", limited to 20".

T10
09-08-2011, 19:16
I guess that depends on whether the rune of slow-ya'-down affects your Movement Allowance or just how far you move (we already know these are separate concepts because you can march).

Both the spell and the Anvil specifically affect the "Movement characteristic".