PDA

View Full Version : Tale of Board Game Painters - sign up here!!

Solun Decius
09-08-2011, 23:07
Welcome to the Tale of Board Game Painters

What's it all about?
A lot of us wargamers have bought or been given some really impressive board games through the years that have had one extra special selling point; cool miniature game pieces. Mine (and my brother's) include Hero Quest, Space Crusade, Blood Bowl, Space Hulk (both editions) and most recently Chaos in the Old World.

When we opened the boxes we all dreamed of how awesome it would look (in just a few weeks, right?) when we'd have painted every single miniature to the best of our abilities. Awesome atmospheric board pieces with super realistic miniatures all over. Then a few weeks go by, sometimes a few months and for way too many of us a few years. The games are still awesome but all that paint seems to have taken the wrong turn at Albuquerque.

Enter the Tale of Board Game Painters. Now we're going to use the collective power of motivation to really get it done! Participants choose a miniature board game from their collection - one's enough for most of us; after all, they've been unpainted this long already, let's not get carried away :D - and paint it up in 5 to 10 batches over a period of 6 to 12 months.

It's this simple:
Board games come in all shapes and sizes so we'll start by deciding how long we're going to take, 6 months or a full year.
Next we split our game pieces into batches, planning to paint each batch in one month.

If you're on a 6 month plan it'll be like this:

Month 1: Painting in September - show-off in Oktober
Month 2: Painting in Oktober - show-off in November
Month 3: Painting in November - show-off in December
Month 4: Painting in December - show-off in January
Month 5: Painting in January - show-off in February
Month 6: Painting in February - show-off in March - Finished Game in March!!

Those on a 12 month plan will not finish in March but instead continue:

Month 7: Painting in March - show-off in April
Month 8: Painting in April - show-off in May
Month 9: Painting in May - show-off in June
Month 10: Painting in June - show-off in July
Month 11: Painting in July - show-off in August
Month 12: Painting in August - show-off in September - Finished Game in September!!

Also, in March, we'll start a second 6 month plan, like so:

Month 1: Painting in March - show-off in April
Month 2: Painting in April - show-off in May
Month 3: Painting in May - show-off in June
Month 4: Painting in June - show-off in July
Month 5: Painting in July - show-off in August
Month 6: Painting in August - show-off in September - Finished Game in September!!

Jokers: non-painting months
I think it's a good idea to leave room for one joker per 6 months, so those on 6 month plans split their total painting into 5 batches and those on 12 month plans split theirs into 10. This is not necessary but real life does kick in every once in a while and we wan't to be prepared.

As an example, here's my 6 month plan for Choas in the Old World:

Batch 1: Nurgle
Batch 2: Khorne
Batch 3: Tzeentch
Batch 4: Slaanesh
Batch 5: Skaven (from the Horned Rat expansion)

Then one month out of the six from September to February I can fail as miserably as I like and still be on track :D

A good 12 month example is the new Space Hulk kit. It can be done in a numer of ways but I guess the main two would be either to speed paint stealers in 2-3 batches and then do Marines two at a time for the remaining months - or to Paint 1 Marine per month the whole tale and split the stealers into 10 tiny batches to do along with them, each month. Sprinkle door bases, C.A.T., etc. into the batches and you've got the full set painted in a year.

Then obviously in the end of each month (or the beginning of the next actually) we take photos of the month's good work, post it on that month's show off thread and give comments and encourage our fellow painters to keep on truckin'!!

This thread is for signing up!
Find an applicable board game, take out the minis and split them into little groups. Figure out how much you can do in a month and then type up the batches. Reply to this thread with the game you want to paint and, if you're prepared, also what's in each batch and how long it'll take.

Just today I got the Horned Rat expansion so I've got all the components I need for this tale adn am ready to rock.

Here are our signeruppers at the moment:

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/5366/tobgpsheet.jpg

Who's up for the challenge?

Daemonslave
10-08-2011, 11:25
As said on the other thread, I'm up for this. I've modified my list to account for Joker months, so here's my list;

Painting Space Hulk in a year

Contents of the box that needs painting;

12 Terminators
22 Genestealers
Broodlord
Dead Marine in chair
Chalice
C.A.T.
20 Door bases

Month 1

Sergeant Lorenzo
2 Genestealers
5 Door Bases

Month 2

Brother Zael
2 Genestealers
5 Door Bases

Month 3

Brother Goriel
2 Genestealers
5 Door Bases

Month 4

Brother Deino
Broodlord
5 Door Bases
C.A.T.

Month 5

Brother Omnio
3 Genestealers
Chalice

Month 6

Sergeant Gideon
3 Genestealers

Month 7

Brother Leon
Brother Claudio
2 Genestealers

Month 8

Brother Valencio
3 Genestealers
Dead marine on chair

Month 9

Brother Noctis
3 Genestealers

Month 10

Brother Scipio
Librarian Calistarius
2 Genestealers

iamjack42
10-08-2011, 13:23
Painting Heroquest (and Kellar's Keep and Return of the Witch Lord) in 12 months:

Month 1
2 Orcs
2 Skeletons
1 Fimir
1 Mummy
1 Barbarian
2 door bases
1 Table
1 Bookcase top

Month 2
1 Orc
2 Goblins
1 Zombie
2 Skeletons
2 door bases
1 Chaos Warrior
1 Table
1 Throne

Month 3
2 Orcs
1 Elf
2 Goblins
1 Mummy
1 Fimir
2 Door bases
1 Rack

Month 4
1 Orcs
2 Goblins
2 Skeletons
1 Chaos Warrior
1 Zombie
2 Door Bases
1 Bookcase Top
1 Cupboard Top

Month 5
1 Dwarf
2 Orcs
1 Goblin
2 Skeletons
1 Mummy
2 Door Bases
3 Treasure Chests

Month 6
2 Orcs
2 Goblins
1 Fimir
1 Zombie
1 Chaos Warrior
2 Door Bases
1 Weapons Rack

Month 7
2 Orcs
1 Wizard
1 Skeleton
1 Mummy
1 Fimir
1 Goblin
2 Door bases
1 Fireplace

Month 8
2 Orcs
2 Goblins
1 Chaos Warrior
2 Skeletons
2 Door Bases
1 Alchemist's Bench
1 Set of Scales

Month 9
2 Orcs
1 Goblin
1 Fimir
1 Chaos Warlock
1 Skeleton
1 Zombie
1 Mummy
2 Door Bases
1 Sorceror's Table

Month 10
1 Fimir
1 Gargoyle
1 Skeletons
2 Zombies
1 Mummies
3 Door bases
1 Tomb

Hopefully this won't get too mundane with all the monopose sculpts. I wish i could do Space Hulk as well, but I guess that can wait until next year, eh?

DarthSte
10-08-2011, 15:46
I'll try to get my Talisman models painted up, if it goes well I may get an expansion or two for the second 6 months. :)

Robert
10-08-2011, 22:23
I think I will paint Dwarf King's Hold: Dead Rising. Will do Green Menace in the second 6 months.

Month 1
2 Dwarf Shieldbreakers
1 Dwarf Pit Dog
1 Dead Dwarf
1 Skeleton Rat Dog

Month 2
5 Dwarf Warriors

Month 3
6 Skeleton Warriors

Month 4
5 Revenants
1 Pile of Bones

Month 5
6 Skeleton Warriors

Month 6
5 Revenants
1 Pile of Bones

Solun Decius
10-08-2011, 23:31
Cool guys!
Great plans and I can't wait to begin seeing progress on this. I'm super nostalgic for HeroQuest and I've got a set of Space Hulk and just love those minis.
Dwarf King's Hold looks pretty detailed and impressive on the website so I'm looking forward to your take on that Robert.

someone2040
11-08-2011, 01:38
I'll jump in with my Space Hulk set.
Don't think my plan will look like Daemonslave's though.
Think I'll probably start on churning out the Stealers as I have painted some of the Space Hulk Terminators for my Blood Angels army. We'll see how it goes, first month will likely be assembly because half my stuff is still on sprue!

lorelorn
11-08-2011, 09:14
I'm signing up to paint my Talisman characters. Should take six months if I work at it. Six batches with four characters per batch. I'm not going to name them right now, though chances are I'll do them in alphabetical order.

I may continue for the second six months and use that time to paint Space Hulk, but we'll see.

DAGabriel
11-08-2011, 19:13
I think i will try to imitate Daemonslave, only that i will turn the Termies into real warriors, namely Deathwing.

DarthSte
17-08-2011, 08:53
Only 8 of us? That's a shame! I'd have expected a few more!! Really looking forward to seeing how lorelorns Talisman will compare to mine! Are you intending to paint the models to the same colour schemes on the character cards?

3 lots of Space Hulk is pretty cool as well! Mine hasn't even been played yet! Most of my gaming group just aren't interested. :(

Solun Decius
17-08-2011, 12:29
Yeah, maybe a bit fewer than I hoped, after the initial interest but it'll be good nonetheless!
Cool to have you all signed up guys. Stealers first sounds like a good plan someone2040 and I look forward to seeing you alphabetical Talisman lorelorn :D
I'll edit the opening post soon to include plans for participants. Hopefully more will sign up in the meantime.

Morglum Necksnapper
17-08-2011, 22:59
I'd like to finish my set of Space Hulk first edition.

steevn
18-08-2011, 20:11
i'll start with utopia and go on with cadwallion, lady and the musketeer and maybe space hulk but that might be optimistic.

batches to be determined

Fechik
19-08-2011, 04:07
Sign me up... I'm going to do The Castle Ravenloft board game....slooooowly!

ecurtz
22-08-2011, 04:38
OK, I'm in as well.

I haven't done any painting in a very, very long time so it might be a mess, but I'll give Space Hulk a try.

My plan:
Months 1 and 2: one Marine squad each month
Month 3: remaining Marines, CAT, etc.
Month 4+: 3 Genestealers and as many sections of Spaceship X terrain as I can manage

The 3rd edition minis are too busy for my taste so I'll be using converted AoBR Terminators (probably Blood Ravens, or Deathwing.) Most of the Genestealers will be 1st edition mono pose with some customizing.

DarthSte
24-08-2011, 14:58
Is that 12 now? Solun Decius, are you going to do a "monthly progess thread" and a "monthly finished thread"?

Solun Decius
26-08-2011, 12:50
OK, cool to have all you guys signed up. I'm going to pack you all into a spreadsheet and post the participants in the OP.
I'll do a monthly thread that start's out with finished results from last month and then becomes a WIP thread. The first thread in September will only be a WIP thread as it's the first month of painting and latecomers can keep signing up then.

steevn
29-08-2011, 13:14
ok here's my schedule

sept : utopia mini's
okt : Lady and the musketeer mini's
nov : cadwallion batch 1
dec : cadwallion batch 2
jan : cadwallion batch 3
feb : cadwallion batch 4

3 boardgames complete in 6 months time, about 5-6 mini's per month.
but with my 40k and fantasy painting going on i'll have to settle for tabletop quality

maybe i'll buy new stuff in Spiel in oct to do in the 2nd 6month period,i'll wait and see...

Solun Decius
02-09-2011, 10:53
OK, cool. I've updated the table a bit.

I've also started the first month's WIP thread here! (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5752097)

Happy painting!

Mr Proudhoof
26-10-2011, 12:21
Hi can I join in the fun?!

I have a tonne of Warhammer Quest stuff to paint. Mostly from the box, but some replacements.

Here are my proposed batches:

Month 1:

12 Bats
12 Rats

Month 2:

12 Spiders
12 Snotlings

Month 3:

6 Goblin Spearmen
6 Night Goblin Archers

Month 4:

6 Orc Warriors
6 Orc Archers

Month 5:

12 Skaven

Month 6:

3 Minotaurs

Thanks!

Solun Decius
27-10-2011, 20:27
Sure dude!
Just subscribe to the current thread, month 1 & October WIP. Then start posting in next month's. I'll add your name to the list.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

robscott5598
28-10-2011, 19:28
Oaky so since you asked that I add my schedule here after jumping feet first over in the month one posts, I'll lay out my plan.

I intened to try and get some of the more used and more popular games done that my friends and I play most often, also to just get some monkeys off my back since a few of these were started like 5 or so years ago and the minis just languish 10% done in my display cases :(

First 6 months:

Month 1: Fury of Dracula (5 minis) Done & Posted.

Month 2: Lost Patrol (again 5 minis) WIP

Month 3: Claustrophobia (6 main character minis, may or may not do something with prepainted Trogs not sure yet)

Month 4: Talisman 3rd edition batch one

Month 5: Talisman 3rd edition batch two

Month 6: Talisman 3rd edition batch three

With the remaining 6 months I will either try to do all the Talisman third edition expansions and perhaps add some additional board games onto it, IF time & real life permits. Also I currently am taking board game comissions to paint so I will probably be showing off some stuff from my new clients' requested two full sets of Shadows over Camalot and the Merlin expansion set during the first couple of months too!

Whew, that's enough to commit to right now I think.