PDA

View Full Version : Lavfluris' Tale of Eight Gamers...

Lavfluris
02-06-2005, 10:38
Right, this thread is dedicated to my grand idea of getting eight Portentors to each collect a brand new army of 1500pts or more.

The idea is simple. Over the course of seven months, eight Portentors will collect their chosen army in stages. Over the seven months, these Portentors will buy, paint and fight with their armies until they have each collected a Warhammer 40,000 army that is more than 1500pts. The Portentors will have a set budget each month to spend on their armies, which will be £60.00 in the first month and then £30.00 for each of the following six months. During each month the Portentors will report on their progress with battle reports and photographs.

In the end, all eight Portentors will travel to Warhammer World in the United Kingdom and compete in the Carnage Tournament 2006. This event will happen in March, so make sure you can attend.

So, onto the details:
• All entrants must have their armies completed by the grand finale in March.
• Each entrant may spend up to the value determined for each month. They may spend up to this value, but not over this value. Money that is unspent is saved for the next month.
• Each entrant may spend up to £60.00 between July 1st to July 31st, up to £30.00 between August 1st and August 31st, up to £30.00 between September 1st and September 30th, up to £30.00 between October 1st and October 31st, up to £30.00 between November 1st and November 30th, up to £30.00 between January 1st and January 31st and lastly up to £30.00 between February 1st and 28th.
• During the last week of every month, each entrant must post a detailed description of what they have achieved during the month. Entrants are expected to submit a report of around 800 words, but a longer or shorter report may be submitted. This report may include but it not limited to: painting, modelling, gaming, terrain making and so on. Photographs must be included with the reports.
• An entrant can be based in any country, so long as they will travel to Warhammer World.
• Entrants may collect armies that are more than 1500pts, but they will have to choose only 1500pts for when they enter the Carnage Tournament.
• Entrants may only use the components they have 'purchased'.
• Entrants do not have to pay for modelling tools or supplies. This includes but is not limited to: Codexes, tools, green stuff, superglue and so on.
• Entrants may use any Citadel minature other than models from the Lord of the Rings range. Entrants may use the models of other manufacturers although no model may contain more than 50% components that are non-Citadel. This is a stipulation imposed by Warhammer World.
• Entrants may use Forgeworld models, but any unit or vehicle exclusively covered by Forgeworld may not be used at the Carnage Tournament. This includes but is not limited to: Warhound Titans, Great Knarlocs, Medusa Siege Guns and so on.
• Entrants may 'purchase' their miniatures from any source, but they must bear in mind the following. The allowance for each month is based on the Games Workshop equivalent of what they have actually purchased, so will not necessarily be what each entrant actually spends.
For example, Chris Birks may surf the internet and purchase three boxes of Cadian Imperial Guardsmen for £45.00. Although he has spent £15.00 less than his allowance, he has in theory spent £60.00 based on the Games Workshop UK price for the above products.
Another example is if Simon Tull buys a huge pile of Dark Eldar bits from eBay for the bargain price of £7.20 but only ends up using Drazhar’s Right Arm, which is really worth £1.00 of his allowance.
A final example is if Chris Birks also buys a limited Edition Witch Hunter Inquisitor from eBay for £34.00. The actual GW value of the miniature is £7.00, so this is what he has spent of his allowance and not £34.00.
This has been included to prevent individual entrants from gaining a strong advantage through eBay and other outlets, which not every entrant has the time for.
• With regards to bitz boxes, the entrants are free to a limited use of their bitz boxes. Limited means the parts used may only be for aesthetics, therefore they may not have a game effect. All bitz which you wish to use must be passed by Lavfluris, who will make sure people aren't abusing this leniancy. The items used may only be for minor conversions and all parts used must be listed in the monthly write-ups.
• With regards to trading, the entrants are free to exchange their excess bitz with each other or other people. The items which you have traded must be listed in the monthly write-ups.

So, there are the rules, all I need are seven other Portentors who are willing to go through with this.

All replies to this thread must be serious and any posts considered to be spam will be removed by Pertinax.

EDIT: Due to the fact there has been a great deal of interest in the Tale of Eight Gamers, I have had to select the eight individuals I would like to be involved in the project. These choices have been based on the certainty of each person being able to commit as well as my expectations of each person (based upon my relationships with them in real life or on the internet).

The eight gamers are…

Lavfluris
Army: Necrons.

Tenoch
Army: Kroot Mercenaries.

Great Harlequin
Army: Ulthwe.

redemptionist15
Army: Space Marines.

Inquis. Jaeger

Thud
Army: Tyranids.

Pertinax
Army: Deathwing.

Badgobbla

Zactar, susu.exp and Rainbow will be part of the supporting cast and will step forward if any of the above eight need to pull out in the next two weeks.

Tenoch
02-06-2005, 10:44
*Volunteers*

I'll be using a kroot mercenaries army, I'm not too optimistic about its success in a tournament but it shouldn't be too bad and will look fairly good.

*goes off to plan army list*

If anyone has any spare plastic chainfists or space marine scopes then pm/email/add me to their msn. I will be in dire need of these.

Lavfluris
02-06-2005, 11:00
I myself will be participating with a brand new army of the Imperial Guard. The models are going to be the plastic Cadian models to help build up the army.

Badgobbla
02-06-2005, 12:32
OK, as said before I wanna participate with Dark Angels.

Normally going to a tourney in the UK won't be that much of a problem, but I really want to attend Winter War 3 in Norway and I'm not sure if there's a date yet for that event. Pert: can you give me an indication as to when WW3 will take place?

Also, Lav, could you give me the correct conversions (pounds to euros) we can use for this, just to make sure we're all collecting on the same foot. Normally, it would be about £1=1,5 euro, but I want you to make the finall call on that one.

Kargos Bloodspit
02-06-2005, 13:01
I should be up for it. Although I dont know where the holidays etc. lie in march for next year (since its my first year of uni). Hopefully it will be fine.

I'll be doing Chaos Space Marines (i think so anyway... it depends if I change my mind or not before we start.)

Wez
02-06-2005, 13:02
In the end, all eight Portentors will travel to Warhammer World in the United Kingdom and compete in the Carnage Tournament 2006. This event will happen either in March, so make sure you can attend.
:confused:

(I might enter, but am not sure yet)

-Wez

Inquis. Jaeger
02-06-2005, 14:21
*VOLUNTEERS*

Good old Space Marines for me. And I actually want to make this Carnage Tournie, so this should provide a nice incentive.

Any problem with collecting more than the 1500pts?

Inquis. Jaeger
02-06-2005, 14:36
Any problem with collecting more than the 1500pts?

By this, I mean of course that one would own more than 1500pts in total, and then would select 1500pts from this for use in the Tournie. Just an inquiry, as I don't intend to buy this army as a strict '1500pts Tournie army' that will be used exactly 'as is' everytime.

Lavfluris
02-06-2005, 14:51
By this, I mean of course that one would own more than 1500pts in total, and then would select 1500pts from this for use in the Tournie.Inquis. Jaeger, you are correct about this.

I'll add that as a little footnote. ;)

Thud
02-06-2005, 14:59
March 2006 would be great for me to go to Notts, so count me in with my Nids.

Also, I do love your new avatar, Lav. ;)

Kargos Bloodspit
02-06-2005, 15:07
I take it we can still use our bitboxes, although we have to put down the price of the sprue in that monthly price (although we're really getting a free month there)

Lavfluris
02-06-2005, 15:59
I take it we can still use our bitboxes, although we have to put down the price of the sprue in that monthly price (although we're really getting a free month there)Yes, you are correct. Even if you use a single piece, the price you pay is for the entire sprue, box or blister.

redemptionist15
02-06-2005, 17:59
Put me down for it Simon. As for what army i am unsure, but provisionally Marines or DaemonHunters.

Pertinax
02-06-2005, 18:12
Lav,
Kalle from Winter War wants to take part. He will be doing Relictors Space Marines.

He has just registered, but has not received his email confirmation yet.

kanluwen
02-06-2005, 18:38
I may be attending Carnage, like I was discussing with Thud over MSN...I'm not sure yet. If I do, expect to see an Elysian army on the field :)

Inquis. Jaeger
02-06-2005, 19:10
I may be attending Carnage, like I was discussing with Thud over MSN...I'm not sure yet. If I do, expect to see an Elysian army on the field :)

Wow. Expect to see a pretty small army if you're limited to £30 a month - FW is miiiiigghhhttyy expensive. :p

Anvils Hammer
02-06-2005, 19:47
Im going to go to the carnage torny if i can, but i cant enter this competition as the rules are to restrictive for me.
Also I still have vaste ammounts of IG to collect, so far Ive only done 8 tanks out of 18, and one of the 10 remaining is going to be a heavily customised stormblade. so I dont have the time or the money either.

but ill be at the torny :)

Lavfluris
02-06-2005, 21:52
Kalle from Winter War wants to take part.If Kalle is the Emperor’s Children player, then I am glad to have him aboard.

I'm not sure yet. If I do, expect to see an Elysian army on the field :)Please be aware that you will not be able to use any unit or vehicle exclusively covered by Forgeworld at the Carnage Tournament. This includes Valkyries and Vultures if you are planning to use these.

Otherwise, it would be good to have you aboard. :D

Inquis. Jaeger
03-06-2005, 00:27
Is that 8?

Lav
Red 15
Inquis. Jaeger
Thud
Kalle
Tenoch
Badgobbla
Kargos Bloodspit

Lavfluris
03-06-2005, 00:44
Is that 8?Well, more than eight have expressed interest. For the benefit of all, those who have expressed an interest and have not commited are:
Wez.
Kargos Bloodspit.

The only ones I know who can commit with any degree of certainty are:
redemptionist15 (Space Marines).
Lavfluris (Imperial Guard).
Tenoch (Kroot Mercenaries).
Inquis. Jaeger (Space Marines).
Thud (Tyranids).
Pertinax (Deathwing).
Kalle (Space Marines).
Badgobbla (Space Marines).

So, I ideally need confirmations on who can definetly commit. Those who are unsure will be neglected in favour of those who are sure

Inquis. Jaeger
03-06-2005, 01:37
Sorry, I was just counting the people who had expressed a more than mild interest and had replied in this thread.

I can definitely commit.

Lavfluris
03-06-2005, 01:46
Sorry, I was just counting the people who had expressed a more than mild interest and had replied in this thread.That's alright, I am just too organised for my own good sometimes. ;)

kanluwen
03-06-2005, 03:44
Wow. Expect to see a pretty small army if you're limited to £30 a month - FW is miiiiigghhhttyy expensive. :p
I'm probably not going to be able to attend--what with being 18 and living in the US...If I attend, it will be for fun rather than tale of eight gamers. Sorry chaps.

Badgobbla
03-06-2005, 08:54
You can count me in, I PM'd Pert to see when WW3 will be held and if they're not on the same date I'll be there.

Pertinax
03-06-2005, 10:18
They won't clash. No problems there.

Badgobbla
03-06-2005, 10:39
Oki, so I'm definately coming.

Lavfluris
03-06-2005, 13:39
Oki, so I'm definately coming.Good to have a fourth Space Marine player aboard! :D

This seems to be the lineup so far:
redemptionist15 (Space Marines/Daemonhunters).
Lavfluris (Thousand Sons).
Tenoch (Kroot Mercenaries).
Inquis. Jaeger (Space Marines).
Thud (Tyranids).
Pertinax (Deathwing).
Kalle (Relictors).
Badgobbla (Space Marines).
Kargos Bloodspit (Tyranids).

Kargos Bloodspit
03-06-2005, 13:40
Well, more than eight have expressed interest. For the benefit of all, those who have expressed an interest are:
Pertinax.
Lavfluris.
Tenoch.
Wez.
redemptionist15.
Inquis. Jaeger.
Thud.
Kalle.
Badgobbla.
Kargos Bloodspit.
kanluwen.

May as well confirm me. Death guard.

:evilgrin:

Should be a nice challenge though and the conversion possibilities are endless.

Badgobbla
03-06-2005, 13:43
Will we be fighting a big mega-battle during that Carnage-tourney involving all the players from the thread? That'd be cool, but I guess with the present line-up it'll be difficult too pull off.

alterion
03-06-2005, 13:45
dont' foregt that people WILL pull out. it happens in pretty much every tale of x gamers thing i have ever seen...

Lavfluris
03-06-2005, 13:45
Will we be fighting a big mega-battle during that Carnage-tourney involving all the players from the thread?We would have such a battle on the Friday or the Monday as there would be no time on the Saturday or the Sunday.

We have nine so far with Kargo Bloodspit's entry, let's hope Wez gets invloved to get an even number of ten, just in case people drop out. ;)

Pertinax
03-06-2005, 14:19
Rainbow (Stig from WW) will probably be signing up, as soon as he registers...

Nightlords, if I am not mistaken.

susu.exp
04-06-2005, 01:58
And for the sake of "Me, too". I´m also up for it. I´d go with Orks, since I´ve already started with my bug project.

Might aquire the title: "Tale of more gamers"...

Rainbow
04-06-2005, 18:59
I have arrived!

Ready to paint, and aching to make chaos history!!
Oh, and almost forgot to mention, Nightlords it is!

Kargos Bloodspit
04-06-2005, 19:51
I'm VERY VERY VERY tempted to switch from Deathguard to Tyranids (just picked up a copy of the new codex today...). I'll have a look and check around this Tyranid codex first. If I do go for tyranids. Expect 6 Carnifexes (and no, im not joking... :evilgrin: )

kanluwen
04-06-2005, 20:03
If I do show up, I honestly will be bringing Elysian drop troop models--entire drop troop army done up with custom doctrines and Elysian models. Prepare to die Tyranids! :D

Pertinax
04-06-2005, 20:20
Will you be able to fit it into the 7 month budget?

Tenoch
04-06-2005, 20:24
If he spends a lot on upgrades he should be able to.

Elysians are what- £2 a model, £240 should easily get 100+ guard models.

40k doesn't work out that expensive in all honesty, only when you start going all metal horde army.

For example my kroot will be at 1500pt within the first 3 months I reckon, seeing as I need to spend a total of around £120, maybe a bit more. But I'll be padding it oout with some cool conversions, expect to see a unit of Trackers which can't be described without using the words "kick" and "ass" :cool: [/ego]

Great Harlequin
04-06-2005, 20:32
I may be joining in. So put me down as an extra to fill in any dropped spaces for now. If I join then you'll find I'll have a new army of Eldar.

Inquis. Jaeger
05-06-2005, 01:36
Looks like it's all coming together. I'm really looking forward to this!

Good luck for tomorrow as well Lav (He's Conflict Bristol-ing it)

kanluwen
05-06-2005, 04:59
Will you be able to fit it into the 7 month budget?
I'm not involved in the Tale of Eight Gamers. I'm stating that if I can, I will attend. Sorry if I confused anyone...Thud wants me to show up with Elysians if I can attend.

Chris_Tzeentch
05-06-2005, 13:25
I have checked my calendar, and there is no way I will be able to attend in March, so I will have to drop out sorry.

I would still like to go through the process of collecting an army however, and put it on Portent.

Kargos Bloodspit
05-06-2005, 13:51
I have checked my calendar, and there is no way I will be able to attend in March, so I will have to drop out sorry.

I would still like to go through the process of collecting an army however, and put it on Portent.

We could always have two get togethers. Everyone who can can attend on march. Then anyone who couldnt any anyone else that wants to can get together another time when they're all available.

Jaq Draco
05-06-2005, 13:51
One small question, are you going to detail the army collecting and processes involved with painting, building, purchases and all that in a thread
or for a webzine that portent/warseer/whatever will make in the future?

Lavfluris
06-06-2005, 07:42
We could always have two get togethers.If the players wish, then this is possible. The only thing to remember is that all entrants must be in attendance in March.

Rainbow
07-06-2005, 12:33
No idea about march yet, should be possible...
Can't say anything 100% certain yet, but it should be possible!

Kargos Bloodspit
07-06-2005, 12:45
I'm going to be changing from Tyranids. I decided that Deathguard were too like my usual army. I've never played a hordeish army like Tyranids. Shoud be... interesting.

Inquis. Jaeger
07-06-2005, 15:19
Cool. Variety is always good. I was tempted to change to Nids actually - the thought of 6 Carnifexes is a gooooood one... (if you're not on the receiving end, of course)

kanluwen
07-06-2005, 16:58
I'm not going to be able to attend, funds are low and the trip from the US is a long and expensive one. Sorry guys :(

Inquis. Jaeger
09-06-2005, 13:21
So are we going to get this show on the road guys? Lav how many do we have? Only 3 weeks until the first installment.

susu.exp
09-06-2005, 13:57
Oh heck. June already... Better grab myself some Boyz...

Kargos Bloodspit
09-06-2005, 13:59
Oh heck. June already... Better grab myself some Boyz...

Don't worry, we start in July, not June :). I've still got some more planning to do.

Inquis. Jaeger
09-06-2005, 14:09
Yep, July 1st.

What's the deal with this then? Are we going to going to have a blog/webzine style thing? Or will there be a dedicated thread? I would suggest a combo of the both, or someone to liase centrally with all the others and provide links to their monthly updates, that way it's easier for people to get an overall view of how the participents are getting on.

Yeah and speaking of planning, I'd better draw up a purchase schedule or something

Lavfluris
09-06-2005, 18:49
What's the deal with this then? Due to the fact there has been a great deal of interest in the Tale of Eight Gamers, I have had to select the eight individuals I would like to be involved in the project. These choices have been based on the certainty of each person being able to commit as well as my expectations of each person (based upon my relationships with them in real life or on the internet).

The eight gamers are…

Lavfluris
Army: Thousand Sons.

Tenoch
Army: Kroot Mercenaries/Iyanden.

redemptionist15
Army: Daemonhunters/Space Marines.

Inquis. Jaeger

Thud

Pertinax
Army: Deathwing.

Badgobbla

Kargos Bloodspit

Kalle, susu.exp, Rainbow and Great Harlequin will be part of the supporting cast and will step forward if any of the above eight need to pull out in the next two weeks.

I would suggest a combo of the both, or someone to liase centrally with all the others and provide links to their monthly updates, that way it's easier for people to get an overall view of how the participents are getting on. When July 1st comes around, this thread will be cleaned out and used by each of the eight participants to provide a rundown of what they are up to and what they have achieved. If the eight participants prefer, we can always use a blog system and link to each blog through this thread, though I would personally prefer to use a thread, but it’s really up to you guys to decide.

Tenoch
09-06-2005, 18:53
A purchase schedule is way too organised.

I'm going with "buy lots of kroot" Then buy some other stuff for conversions.

I will be in need of plastic chainfists however, as in urgent need.

Anyone with plastic powerfists or chain fists then pm me! EDIT: Pertinax, I'm looking at you :p [/ot]

i doubt my blog will be interesting the first month as it will be along the lines of "today i bought 48 kroot, i want to die" but should pick up after then, as I'll have no more carnivores to paint after the first month :D. But where after that I have no idea, probably the retarded kroot hound unit im planning.

Inquis. Jaeger
09-06-2005, 19:57
Is there any way we can get a little bit of leniency regarding the use of bitz boxes? I assume that most of us, as veteran gamers, will probably have a large collection of extra bitz. Whilst I can understand that regular and huge use of them undermines the purchase system, but is there any way we can use a few bits and pieces?

Lavfluris
09-06-2005, 20:13
Is there any way we can get a little bit of leniency regarding the use of bitz boxes?I will allow each entrant a limited amount of use of their bitz boxes, so long as each item used is paid for using the already mentioned system, i.e. you use the Emperor's Champion's sword arm, you pay £2.00 for that compenant.

Both trading and the use of bitz boxes are listed in the first post of this thread.

susu.exp
09-06-2005, 22:21
What about army starter sets? My (incredibly tight) calculation includes the 50 pound Ork deal, of which everything but the warbikes gets used (i.e. 52 pounds worth of Orks bought seperately). Do I count this as 50 or as 52? The later would land me spot on without any bits (with one exception).

My opinion on the Bits Box: Allow 5 pounds extra each month for conversion pieces which may not be spent on seperate models (I couldn´t use it to buy an Ork sprue and build 4 Orks for instance).

Sons of Russ
10-06-2005, 01:29
No offence gentlemen, but after 77 posts is this Project going to get off the ground?

Lavfluris, I think you should start a new thread and just lay down all the ground rules after all these questions have been fielded and you have everyone interested give you a flat yes or no.

Seems kind of bogged down at the moment, but I look forward to seeing the come to fruition. ;)

Inquis. Jaeger
10-06-2005, 01:43
Well thanks for your input Russ, but we're just clarifying and discussing a few elements of the rules. In case you missed it, Lav has already edited the first post of this thread to add not only with the rules, but also the gamers due to be taking part.

The project is not due to start until the 1st July anyway, and there's still plenty to discuss, such as the method by which we will impart our trials and efforts to the forum as a whole.

Badgobbla
10-06-2005, 07:17
And Badgobbla is in Belgium

I concur :D , seems like Lav didn't notice the first post

Lavfluris
10-06-2005, 07:25
Hopefully these two rules will please some people:
• With regards to bitz boxes, the entrants are free to a limited use of their bitz boxes. Limited means the parts used may only be for aesthetics, therefore they may not have a game effect. All bitz which you wish to use must be passed by Lavfluris, who will make sure people aren't abusing this leniancy. The items used may only be for minor conversions and all parts used must be listed in the monthly write-ups.
• With regards to trading, the entrants are free to exchange their excess bitz with each other or other people. The items which you have traded must be listed in the monthly write-ups.

EDIT:
Do I count this as 50 or as 52? The later would land me spot on without any bits (with one exception).A starter box would be £50.00, cimply because you can get buy a box with all the compenants in.

Lavfluris, I think you should start a new thread and just lay down all the ground rules after all these questions have been fielded and you have everyone interested give you a flat yes or no.If you kindly read the first post, you will see the current status of all involved.

Pertinax
10-06-2005, 08:55
I've gone through this thread on request of Lav, and deleted the posts that are cluttering it.

Inquis. Jaeger
10-06-2005, 12:22
Hopefully these two rules will please some people:

Brilliant Lav. Exactly what I was trying to suggest. I'm not for the abuse of bitz boxes to circumvent the rules, and this is just the sort of thing I was getting at. Thanks a lot!

Thud
10-06-2005, 14:42
About the Carnage tournament, will that be held over a weekend? I will not be able to hang around in England for long as I at that time will be serving my mandatory military service...

If it is, as the Portent tournaments, held on a Saturday and Sunday, I'll be definately able to attend. If it is longer, it might prove tricky but I won't know for sure untill late January (earliest)...

Tenoch
10-06-2005, 16:35
Excellent Lav thanks alot.

Definately expect to see Kroot then.

*Goes back to making preparations and conversion ideas*

Lavfluris
10-06-2005, 16:46
About the Carnage tournament, will that be held over a weekend?The Carnage Tournament 2006 will take place on a Saturdau and a Sunday, with the mega-battle taking place early Monday, so effectively we will be at Warhammer World for three days.

Now the matter of where we publicise our work needs to be adressed. Would people perfer a new thread with [img] tags allowed? Or would you perfer a blog? Or would you perfer some sort of site come blog thingy?

I would personally perfer the thread where only our end of month reports are posted along with a good selection of pictues. I think it would be by far the easiest and simpliest option.

Kargos Bloodspit
10-06-2005, 17:54
Now the matter of where we publicise our work needs to be adressed. Would people perfer a new thread with [img] tags allowed? Or would you perfer a blog? Or would you perfer some sort of site come blog thingy?

I wouldn't mind doing a site come blog thingy. How about we have a new thread with img tags allowed, but we also have a blog come site thingy. The thread can stand to be less organised than the blog.

Tenoch
10-06-2005, 17:57
Site would be coolest but a lot of work.

A Blog on say Livejournal community would be good also. Although a thread has the simplicity fact and is easier to access etc.

So I'll agree that a thread is easiest, which only we can post in, and then have a thread for discussion.

Otherwise it will get very crowded very quickly.

How many words do you want each month?

Also do you want a prologue by each player, because if you do then let me know by tomorrow if you can, because otherwise it won't get done until the beginning of July due to the spacing of my exams

Inquis. Jaeger
10-06-2005, 20:47
Perhaps each person should set up their own LiveJournal Blog, we also have a central thread on here for the discussion of each other's armies, and then a reserved thread purely for our monthly updates and which only we can post to.

That way we have a discussion area, a presentation area in chronological form, and then an area that shows the armies off and all the updates collected together

Any thoughts?

Lavfluris
10-06-2005, 21:21
How many words do you want each month?I am looking for around 1000 to 1200 words each month with at least three good pictures, five at most.

Also do you want a prologue by each player, because if you do then let me know by tomorrow if you can, because otherwise it won't get done until the beginning of July due to the spacing of my exams Yes, an introduction of around 500 words from each player would be rather handy come to think of it…

Get to it lads! I need a 500 word introduction ready from each of the Eight Gamers by July 1st when the project goes live. Just explain the army choice and an idea of what you intend to purchase. If you want to include other information, then feel free.

Great Harlequin
11-06-2005, 10:48
Get to it lads! I need a 500 word introduction ready from each of the Eight Gamers by July 1st when the project goes live. Just explain the army choice and an idea of what you intend to purchase. If you want to include other information, then feel free.
Shall we, the supporting cast write an introduction as well just in case? Because if someone dropped out at the last moment we wouldn't get bogged down with writing everything in a short ammount of time.

redemptionist15
11-06-2005, 12:13
Its looking good Simon! Im tempted to do progress reports on a blog as a seperate entity. But either way i shall now have to think about something to write!

kanluwen
11-06-2005, 17:44
Lav, I might not be going to the tournament but a few good points have been made over MSN to me that I thought I might bring to your attention. Firstly--Why Monday for the mega-battle? Why not Sunday, early, then have games running the rest of the day and if anyone's still around Monday they can all hook up for games?
Secondly--While having everyone do a 1000 page write-up every month might sound good, I think even the best of authors would be hard-pressed writing 500 words about what they're doing, much less 1000! Set it something reasonable for most people, like 150 words but a maximum of 800 words per monthly entry to save us server space among other things...
Finally--Budgets. Some people might make more than others, or have a second job or discount or something of that nature, so why not have a final cumulative budget that cannot be surpassed for the project itself rather than a monthly budget?

I added you to MSN, Lav if you'd like to contact me to discuss. I'm not trying to steal your thunder or anything, but I'd like to try to help you with the organization although I'm in the US.

Lavfluris
11-06-2005, 18:21
Shall we, the supporting cast write an introduction as well just in case?That would be a wise idea.

Why Monday for the mega-battle?The Carnage Tournament runs for the entirety of Saturday as well as the entirety of the time we have on the Sunday. Quite simply we do not have the time and Warhammer World will not stay open for us to play a mega-battle on either day. It is because of this that the mega-battle will have to fall on the Monday, or the Friday before, depending on what is easier for the players involved.

Set it something reasonable for most people, like 150 words but a maximum of 800 words per monthly entry to save us server space among other things...Perhaps 800 words will be fine for most people? 800 words it will be with a 400 word introduction.

Some people might make more than others, or have a second job or discount or something of that nature, so why not have a final cumulative budget that cannot be surpassed for the project itself rather than a monthly budget?A Tale of Four Gamers involves a strict budget and I see no reason why this one should be any different. Players do not have to spend their entire allocated budget every month; so they can save money from month to month.

susu.exp
11-06-2005, 19:37
Secondly--While having everyone do a 1000 page write-up every month might sound good, I think even the best of authors would be hard-pressed writing 500 words about what they're doing, much less 1000! Set it something reasonable for most people, like 150 words but a maximum of 800 words per monthly entry to save us server space among other things...

150 words is unreasonably short. Consider that your posting has 205 Words already. Think about this: I paint one mini. I use 10 colors in total. That´s 20 words just for the color names and I haven´t even said, which parts of the model I painted with what color... 500 Words is a little less than one screenpage. 1000 words is less than one printed page in size 10. We had to word count our exams in school and my average was somewhat above 1000 in English, my second language, and constant usage has sped me up by quite an amount.
Considering that 45 minutes per month takes very little effort and doesn´t leave enough space to cover anything in detail, I´m pretty sure most participants will write markedly more. After all there´s games to be described, tactical reasoning for army selection, conversions, painting, concepts...

I think even my army list will be over 150 words... Without naming the models (then it reaches 400).

Pertinax
11-06-2005, 19:47
Bear in mind that there are non-english speakers involved in this. Although they might be A+ in English, imposing a minimum word limit is not always a kind thing to do. Rather just have a max limit.

Kargos Bloodspit
11-06-2005, 19:48
Perhaps 800 words will be fine for most people? 800 words it will be with a 400 word introduction.

Why would the readers want to read a whole 800 words? I mean seriously, thats a lot to trawl through. Especially when you consider that theres 8 of us. That means theres 6400 words they're gunna be reading every month. Besides, there isn't going to be THAT much to be talking about. We only really need to talk about paint schemes the first month, after that it should pretty much follow on. An army list isn't going to appear every month. I think its unrealistic that you should expect us to each write an essay on what we bought and how we painted it each month.

Lavfluris
11-06-2005, 20:00
I think its unrealistic that you should expect us to each write an essay on what we bought and how we painted it each month.800 words is just under a page and a half in Word using font size 12. That is is a very realistic amount of words that anyone will be able to achieve once a month, bearing in mind those 800 words will contain short battle summaries, purchases, painting and ponderings. The 800 words are merely a guide to what I expect.

Entrants may submit shorter or longer entries and will undoubtedly be submitting longer entries.

Thud
11-06-2005, 20:04
I think 800 words sounds about right. And besides, I doubt it will spell oblivion if one was to only write 712 words.

Kargos Bloodspit
11-06-2005, 20:50
Im gunna quit this. When I originally created the original thread (see: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3028 ) i intended for something as least complicated as possible. The more that can go wrong the more chance that something WILL go wrong. I'm not sure of the direction of this tale of 8 gamers. But good luck all the same, and I hope all your armies look great/play great, whatever :).

Great Harlequin
11-06-2005, 21:01
Shall I fill in for Kargos Bloodspit then?

susu.exp
11-06-2005, 21:06
You, me, Zachtar or rainbow. If the names for replacement gamers are in the order of place taking, Zachtar is in.

Lavfluris
11-06-2005, 21:23
Im gunna quit this.Thank you for your interest and support up until this point. :)

If the names for replacement gamers are in the order of place taking, Zachtar is in.The four members of the supporting cast have been listed in no particular order, so if a replacement is needed, it will be down to my decision.

I have chosen Great Harlequin to replace Kargos Bloodspit.

As to susu.exp, Zactar and rainbow, if you do not end up being one of the eight entrants, then you are all welcome to make your own reports if you decide to collect your own new armies in a similar way. If we come to July and we still have a full house of eight gamers, then I will consider making this a Tale of Ten Gamers, but that is not set in stone because other players may drop out in the next few weeks. Rest assured that I would like to involve everyone who has shown an interest so far. :)

susu.exp
11-06-2005, 21:53
I´ve planned to do so anyway. The project I decided upon was one I had at the back of my head for quite some time and doing it in budget is an interesting challenge. So regardless of who´s one of the official 8, no one is spared my insane army proposal...

Inquis. Jaeger
12-06-2005, 00:01
Im gunna quit this. When I originally created the original thread (see: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3028 ) i intended for something as least complicated as possible. The more that can go wrong the more chance that something WILL go wrong. I'm not sure of the direction of this tale of 8 gamers. But good luck all the same, and I hope all your armies look great/play great, whatever :).

Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully we'll see you at WW in March anyway.

Lavfluris
18-06-2005, 07:58
This is just a reminder that we begin the Tale of Eight Gamers in just twelve days. All eight entrants must have their introductions prepared for July 1st. As noted before, the introduction must be around four hundred words and if you feel inclined, it may include a small 100 x 100 mugshot of yourself.

Also, there will be two threads for the Tale of Eight Gamers. There will be this thread, which will become the discussion thread and there will be the main thread where all reports and introductions are posted. Eventually, we may be able to incorporate a website into the plan, but for now it is best to stick with something simple.

Inquis. Jaeger
18-06-2005, 10:09
This is just a reminder that we begin the Tale of Eight Gamers in just twelve days. All eight entrants must have their introductions prepared for July 1st. As noted before, the introduction must be around four hundred words and if you feel inclined, it may include a small 100 x 100 mugshot of yourself.

Also, there will be two threads for the Tale of Eight Gamers. There will be this thread, which will become the discussion thread and there will be the main thread where all reports and introductions are posted. Eventually, we may be able to incorporate a website into the plan, but for now it is best to stick with something simple.

Sounds like a good system. I'm leaving Uni today to go back home, so you'll get my intro in a couple of days

Great Harlequin
18-06-2005, 10:15
Will we have the 'main' thread stickied or locked after we have posted our reports and so forth. Or will everyone be allowed to post there and comment?

Lavfluris
20-06-2005, 05:53
Will we have the 'main' thread stickied or locked after we have posted our reports and so forth.The main thread will be closed once every report has been submitted. This ensures all discussion occurs in thsi thread and does not clutter up the main thread.

Pertinax
20-06-2005, 08:57
Here or in P&T?

Punk_in_Drublic
20-06-2005, 09:47
You should stick it in P&T. I'm looking forward to see lost of pics of painted models.

Later,

-Punk

Lavfluris
20-06-2005, 12:49
Here or in P&T?Here, where more people will see it.

Badgobbla
23-06-2005, 13:02
Lav, where do I have to send my report, it's almost finished?

EDIT also: is it ok if the format is Word?

Great Harlequin
23-06-2005, 16:37
Lav, where do I have to send my report, it's almost finished?

EDIT also: is it ok if the format is Word?
Yeah, I've done mine in a Word document but I can change it quite easily if the need arises...

McBain
23-06-2005, 21:58
Hey lav, you got an idea on the costs for the thing in march yet, Im tempted to turn up with my relictors so i can woop ur butt........... muhahahahahhaahha

p.s my fiance keeps asking bout the games day pic with you and me almost huging........

Lavfluris
24-06-2005, 14:54
Lav, where do I have to send my report, it's almost finished?I am talking Nick into giving us a sub-forum where you will have your own personnal thread to post your introduction and reports. This sub-forum will hopefully be done within the week.

Hey lav, you got an idea on the costs for the thing in march yetTickets for the Carnage Tournament 2006 are likely to be £30.00 each. As always there will be an accomidation scheme.

my fiance keeps asking bout the games day pic with you and me almost huging........?I don't recall such a pic... :eyebrows:

McBain
24-06-2005, 19:32
i will dig it out once im back on my own pc.

Lavfluris
27-06-2005, 08:00
Just an update.

The sub-forum I have requested should be up and ready to go on Wednesday, and will either be connectd to 40K General Discussion or Painting and Terrain. When the forum is up, all you guys need to do is make a seperate thread for your army and post your introduction.

Great Harlequin
27-06-2005, 16:31
Just an update.

The sub-forum I have requested should be up and ready to go on Wednesday, and will either be connectd to 40K General Discussion or Painting and Terrain. When the forum is up, all you guys need to do is make a seperate thread for your army and post your introduction.
Sounds good :)

I think it will find a little more interest if it was connected to 40K General Discussion rather than Painting and Terrain.

All the bestest,

Tenoch
27-06-2005, 16:48
Just a note, not that it shouldmatter.I'm shifting over to Dark Eldar for my army choice

Lavfluris
27-06-2005, 18:09
I'm shifting over to Dark Eldar for my army choiceThat's okay, I've turned my thoughts to the Necrons (for a few days or so at least). ;)

Xander-K
27-06-2005, 19:36
its £60 for the first month, even with FW prices, the amount of money allowed is more than enough for a 1500 pt army.

Great Harlequin
27-06-2005, 19:41
the amount of money allowed is more than enough for a 1500 pt army.
Not for things such as Horde armies like Tyranids and Orks. Or Imperial Guard when you come to think of it.

Lavfluris
27-06-2005, 19:54
Okay, our forum is up, please make your way here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=43) and start your threads with your introductions. :D

susu.exp
27-06-2005, 22:03
Sadly apparently not open to the supporting cast.

Lavfluris
28-06-2005, 07:21
Sadly apparently not open to the supporting cast.The forum is now open to the supporting cast, who are free to make their own threads with the word 'unoffical' somewhere in title.