PDA

View Full Version : The Tale of Fantasy Painters 2011-2012 WIP

Pages : [1] 2

Malorian
01-09-2011, 17:58
The Tale of Fantasy Painters 2011-2012 WIP

Alright everyone, this is the start of the tale. This is officially the first month of painting BUT you don't post any pictures until the thread that will be next month.

This thread will just be for work in progress shots, listing out what you plan to paint, working out paint schemes, and for even more people to join last second.

So with that out of the way lets see what people have planned and going on :)

Mission Statement:

It is the goal of The Tale of Fantasy Painters, and all Tales for that matter, to help fellow gamers paint their armies by providing them a place to find support and encouragement.

The Tale:

So this thread is for the signup for the 2011-2012 The Tale of Fantasy Painters. It's the place to throw your name in, let us know what army you plan on painting, and how many points.

The painters involved have made a commitment to paint and post, by the last day of each month, approx 200 points of their chosen army. They do this each month for the next 12 months.

The way it works is that painting would begin in September and then in the first day or two of October a thread will be put up where you can post what you had done in September (this trend will continue for 12 months). You can include as much information as you wish, but some good things to include along with the picture are: the units, the total points for that month, conversions, highs and lows, plans for next month, and a number between 1 and 6. The number is important because it has to do with feedback.

A week after the initial thread is created you can then (and are encouraged to) add feedback on the work of others. Due to the large number of people who take part in these tales it is suggested that you only comment on those that have the same number as you. Of course if there are ones that really catch your eye, or you are a trooper and want to comment on them all, that is obviously awesome.

However, because people have real lives with exams, holidays, honeymoons, new babies etc, etc. They get two 'Jokers'. For two months within the year you can ‘play a joker’ and rather than post an update they can post "sorry guys couldn't get it done this month. Real life got in the way." But the other 10 Months they have to come up with (approx) 200 points of painted and based figures. That is 200 points for 10 of the next 12 months.

In twelve months time we will all end up with a finished 2000 point army.
(Or at least everyone who can see it through to the end ... it's harder than you think!)

Men and Boys:

Because this is harder than you would think ... As last year rather than try and hold everyone to 200 points a month I have decided to allow folks to join in and paint only 100 points a month. Whilst the goal for many remains getting a 2000 point army painted in a year the original and ongoing intention of this whole thing was to encourage and support folks to get stuff painted and 1000 points is better than no points! As a result we have two categories. 'Men' (painting 200 points/month) and 'Boys' (painting 100 points/month).

Frequently Asked Questions

Q : When can I join in? Does it have to be at the start or can it be any time?
A : Join in any time.

Q : Can I paint more than 200 points in a month?
A : Yes, but if you can do this time after time then you can probably commit to more. Feel free to sign up multiple times to reflect the amount of work you plan to do (for example sign up for Beastmen X2 and submit 400 points a month, or Beastmen Men + Boy submit 300 points a month).

Q : Can I paint less than 200 points in a month?
A : Yes. But we try to stay on track by painting more points in the next month to 'catch up'. For example if you only painted 100 points one month you could try and get 300 points painted the next month. Equally if you paint more one month you can take it easy and paint less the next month.

Q : What happens when I paint an expensive character?
A : This happens a lot. If your character was over 400 points you would simply paint him over two months (the sort of time your general deserves!) So You start posting him one month and post nothing the first month (unless you want to post WIP) then the second month you post the finished model and all the points get added on.

Q : What do I do when I'm done and the tale isn't over?
A : First thing to do is to include an army shot (everyone loves an army shot) and then it's up to you. Either stay on and paint a model now and then to take part, or start planning for the next tale. If you are really cocky then you can sign up for ANOTHER army is see if you can blitz it in time.

Q : Can I include a short narrative with each months post.
A : Yes. We love background stuff. Write as much as you like it will be read and enjoyed by many.

Q : Can I *insert something here that results in more painting*?
A : A thousand times yes!!!

Q : Can Doi drop out?
A : No he can't.

Signed Up So Far:

Mens

Avian - O&G
BigJon - O&G
Blackheart - Brets
Caelas - Empire
colonel kane trine - Tomb Kings
colonel kane trine - Tomb Kings (4 times! Madness!)
colonel kane trine - Ogre Kingdoms
Confessor_Atol - Ogre Kingdoms
dagreenmoonboyz - O&G
DiddyKong -O&G
DiddyKong -O&G
DiddyKong -O&G (yes thrice!)
Djekar - WoC
Doi - Dark Elves
Doi - Ogre Kingdoms
Doomscape - DoC
Doomscape - High elves
Doomscape - High elves
Doomseer - Dark Elves
dwarfhold13 - O&G
EmperorNorton - Dark Elves
Fanny Crowbar - Dark Elves
Fanny Crowbar - Ogre Kigdoms
Frejdruk - Ogre Kingdoms
Goat of Yuggoth - Vampire Counts
gogs78 - High elves
Green Feevah! - High Elves
grhino - Tomb Kings
gsmc - Skaven
Heqir - WoC
ironduke - Empire
JackDaw - Dark Elves
Jacktheripper34 - Tomb Kings
JohnnyG - Skaven
jonahmaul - Dark Elves?
Kaltherus - WoC
Kaos - Dwarfs
Kharn_21 - WoC
Lord Dan - Vampire Counts?
Mace1982 - High Elves
Malorian - O&G
Malvolion - Brets
Matt.Woods88 - Ogre Kingdoms
Morkash Gorehowl - Ogre Kingdoms
Nilo - Vampire Counts
nkicik - Lizardmen
Padz - Brets?
Perplexiti - Dwarfs
Perplexti - Lizardmen
piotrov - Empire
PumaDriftCat - Brets
Purplebeard - WoC
Purplebeard - O&G
Purplebeard - Dwarfs
Richmt11 - High Elves
Richmt11 -
Rikk - O&G Orcs and Goblins
Rosstifer - WoC
RTGamer - WoC
Saulot - Brets
ShadowcaptainEthren - Brets
Shandowner - High Elves
someone2040 - SoM
Spar666rawk - Vamipre Counts
spikedog - Chaos Dwarfs
Tayrod - O&G
Tekore - Wood Elves
Thalenchar - Skaven
The Yak - Empire
Toshiro - O&G
Trustey - O&G
Trustey - WoC
unheilig - Ogre Kingdoms
zark the Damned - Dogs of War
z4carlo - Empire

Boys

Aenarion - Dark Elves
andrewdrexler - Wood Elves
Archis - Beastmen
Archis - Vampire Counts
Arduhn - Nippon
Arkarn - Vampire Counts
azhagmorglum - O&G
Braad - O&G
Bueno - Beastmen
Bueno - Tomb Kings
CaptainFaramir - WoC
Clobbersaurus - Empire
Clobbersaurus - High elves
DAGabriel - Tomb Kings?
Darnok - Ogre Kingdoms
DarthSte - Empire
DeathCat147 - Empire
Djekar - O&G
EmperorNorton - Ogre Kingdoms
Fabius Bile - Brets
Fabius Bile - Ogre Kingdoms
Gargobot - DoC
Great horned owl - High elves
Harvey - Lizardmen
Harvey - Skaven
iamjack42 - High Elves
Jardain - Empire
JonnyTHM - skaven
juicytomatoes - Empire
juicytomatoes - Tomb Kings
Kalterus - O&G
Kaos - Dwarfs
Malorian - O&G
Morglum Necksnapper - O&G
Mr. Shine - Skaven
Panzer Mk IV - WoC
Queekvondrak - Skaven
reddevil18 - WoC
Rutgar - Lizardmen
Setha - WoC
Shnerg - WoC
Stretchit - Ogre Kingdoms
Thalenchar - DoC
Thalenchar - WoC
TheMaster - High Elves
the_slosh - Beastmen
Tonny - Empire
vcassano - Tomb Vampires?
Walls - Empire
zujara - O&G

colonel kane trine
01-09-2011, 18:25
Ok il start! Im really looking forward to this! At the moment im finalizing my army scheme and then going to break down my planned 8k army into 1 month blocks! I dont intend on using jokers as id rather paint every month
Anyway heres my test scheme. Its dheneb stone bones mechrite red shield and tin bitz mithril silver metal then a devlan mud wash. Simple and above all fast!
By oct I plan to have these done
39 skeletons+liche priest
Tomb king or khalida
3 chariots 20 archers

Set myself quite a challenge!
I do think there should be a madman category for people who intend to do 5k+ armies

Malorian
01-09-2011, 19:08
For the 2K of Brets it's going to be:

Prophetess on warhorse (205)
15 knights errant w/ full command (321)
15 knights errant w/ full command (321)
12 knights of the realm w/ full command (240)
9 questing knights w/ full command (279)
9 questing knights w/ full command (279)

Total: 2125

I am going to HATE painting knights by the end of this... also doesn't help that I'm even know not sure on a scheme :( I have about 2 painted already with a half red half blue but I'm not sure about it...

For the 1K O&G it's going to be:

18 trolls (630) - This one is unfortunate because I already have 2 painted but I'm going to have to REpaint them since I can't seem to match the colors.

15 arrer boyz (105)

Gorbad (375)

Total: 1110

So in the end not a lot of models, just adding to my existing army.

Rikk
01-09-2011, 19:38
Okies, my plan is to try to balance some big rare units and characters against some units to try to get ahead with the bigger less model options to help give me more time for lots of model units.

Plan is;
1 giant
1 Arachnarok
1 shm lord
1 shm lord with shrine to go on spider
1 sv orc shm
1 ng shm
30 sv orcs
30 ng spears
2 fanatics
2 spr chukka
1 ng bsb
1 ng lord
20 ng arrers
14 orc arrers
16 orcs

Ouch not looking forward to some of this, it's also not a balanced army but to add to my existing army to give me options to range from 2k-4k games, I find it difficult to stick to 2k when building an army (3k is so much easier) I just need to be more strict on my choices.

The above list could ofc go out the window as we go along, esp if there's any new models on the horizon (Fingers crossed for Sq manglers and new pump wagon with sails)

Think I'll try to get an army shot ready, most is still boxed up, will get spraying asap on blacks and whites undercoats, I've done a tester model for sv orc skin I'm quite happy with, not sure how to get that grey stone effect I see so well on lots of ppl's sv orcs, will pop into local gws and ask around.

Rikk

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd460/rikk1/svorcskintestmodel.jpg

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd460/rikk1/armywip1.jpg

Purplebeard
01-09-2011, 19:50
I'd like to be down for 2000pts of Dwarves please too, Malorian. Lots and lots and lots of artillery! :evilgrin:

Green Feevah!
01-09-2011, 21:27
I've got a start on my Swordmasters:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/mfostkd/MiniPics007.jpg

Of course the metals are the easy part. And I have 3 models that aren't even primed yet. But I'll get them caught up as soon as it stops raining.

EDIT: I 'mathed out' all the models I'll be painting, and it looks like I'll be doing just over 4000 points of High Elves.

Here is my breakdowns:

8 Silver Helms and Lion Chariot (364 points)
Lord on Griffin (427 points)
Dragon Mage (420 points)
25 Lothern Sea Guard (350 points)
25 Lothern Sea Guard (350 points)
Archmage & 5 Ellyrian Reavers (372 points)
20 Phoenix Guard (380 points)
20 Swordmasters (330 points)
20 White Lions (330 points)
10 Dragon Princes (365 points)

10 entries, 10 months.

My goal is still to do 300 points a month, but as you can see, I'll be a little over every month.

Spar666rawk
01-09-2011, 21:34
So it has OFFICIALLY started :D

stuff i have scattered around/still unpainted (have about 15 skelies painted and 2 proud dire wolfs :p ):

Vampire on zombie dragon
corpse cart
20 zombies
8 dire wolfs
and 35 more skelies in different stages of WIP

for this month i have planed on doing 20+ skeletons, and corpse cart

p.s. my camera is broken, so I'm afraid i wont be showing any WIP till that gets fixed... hmm... i could try using my new phone camera (will have to buy memory card first :( )

Malorian
01-09-2011, 21:40
p.s. my camera is broken...

Reason #472 why it's good to have friends ;)

Actually there is no need to post WIP pictures.

We just need proof in the following months ;)

the1stpip
01-09-2011, 22:05
Well, last year went really badly, but that was due to a number of reasons, one of which was I chose Skaven.

I have been really inspired to do a WoC Slaanesh army, so that is what I am going to sign up for. I should be able to paint 200 pts a month of such an elite army!

The Yak
01-09-2011, 23:58
Hello Im plannning on doing 2000 points of Averland Empire. I have started modeling the Army already but have only managed to paint a meagre 7 men so far.

How do I reduce the photo sizes????

Here is the painting plan........

September = Jade Wizard, Von Kragsburg Detachment (12 Archers)
October = Grenzstadt Lions (20 Swordsmen), Great Cannon
November = Bergsjaeger (11 Outriders)
December = BSB on foot, 1st half of Von Kragsburg Guard (20 Halberdiers)
January = Knights of Sigmars Woe (9 Knights)
February = 2nd half of Von Kragsburg Guard (20 Halberdiers), Hot Pot Catapult
March = The Forgiven (24 Flagellants)
April = Warrior Priest on foot, 1st half of Blue Reach Buccanneers (15 swordsmen)
May = 2nd half of Blue Reach Buccanneers (15 swordmen)
June = Amber Wizard, Blue Reach Buccaneer Detachment 1 (15 Handgunners)
July = Blue Reach Buccaneer Detachment 2 (15 Free Company)
August = Arch Lector

Here are some pictures of the things I plan to do this month......

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/011-2.jpg
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/009-2.jpg
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/012-3.jpg
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/013-3.jpg
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/014-3.jpg

I'd Just like to take this oppurtunity to wish everyone good luck with their projects.

Here are the testers....

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/059.jpg

the1stpip
02-09-2011, 00:03
I open my pictures in Microsoft Office Picture Editor (or something rquivalent) and reduce the size using the tools.

Walls
02-09-2011, 00:55
Might as well at least post mine.

Empire!
September: Captain model with hammer and pistol (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1820413a_99800202001_CaptainOfEmpire_873x627.jpg)
October: The Old Kurt Helborg Model
November: Unit of Reiskguard Knights (11) with full command
December: Helblaster Volley Gun
January: Half a unit of Spearmen (25)
Feb: Other half of the unit (25)

That as far as my planning has gotten me so far. I have a BUCKETLOAD of empire models I could do.

Mr. Shine
02-09-2011, 04:20

No fair, I wanted to start with Swordmasters this month too!

...just 1/3 the number :p

Metallics are looking good!

dagreenmoonboyz
02-09-2011, 04:49
http://www.coolminiornot.com/281678

This is my warboss, Skrugg the harbinger of Da Green Moon boyz and his snotling Saint Dribbles. More on him and da boyz later

I would post a sample savage orc but idk how to insert an image that isnt a url cause im an idiot.

dwarfhold13
02-09-2011, 05:14
I'll post pics in the next few days or if I get a chance this weekend.
I've got huge plans for this list and this year as I'm after best army for the next GT I go to.
My list is as follows:
Wurrzag
Lev 2 Shaman w/ lucky shrunken head
BSB Savage Orc boss
30 Savage Orcs with big stabba and banner/mus
37 Savage Orcs w/ full command
10 Goblin wolf riders
6 Trolls
3 spear chukkas
10 savage orc boar boys w/ mus/banner
giant
2 mangler squig bases
snotling pump wagon

I'm mixing in a lot of 'other than GW' figures. like gamezone wolf riders and an ultraforge giant.. the mangler squigs will be modeled as rabid safari type animals (ogre sabretusks) with their savage orc 'trainers'
the pump wagon is a looted skaven doom wheel that was orc'ed up... there will be a boar running on a treadmill to power it (because the snotlings couldn't figure out how else to do it)
everything themed, and the display will be a commandeered leezard temple, and extras like a turn counter, matching movement trays and if i have time, an actual foot of gork :)

I'm almost done with my shaman, and i have a test model already done... i'm going to wait on bases until i get a better idea for the display tray.

andrewdrexler
02-09-2011, 05:14
What I am painting: Autumn Wood Elves, 1000 points.
Ok here we go again. This will be my second attempt at the Tale, so hopefully things will go a little smoother this time. One thing that I noticed last year what that switching between assembly\conversion work and painting REALLY slowed me down due to limited workspace issues. In order to avoid that problem this time, I have assembled and converted about 600 points worth of figures. Once everything is painted, I can have a go at converting the rest of my force. There is also an actual army list this time, as opposed to selecting units at random
I have had wood elves for quite a few years now, but they have always been collecting dust. I got them started a few times, but never liked the direction that they seemed to be going. The cloaks were a mess, the color scheme was rubbish, or they just looked too costumey for my tastes. These guys are supposed to be roughing it in the forest, not sashaying around in full length cloaks for goodness sakes. They also looked too… clean.. for my tastes, their hair JUST SO patchwork leather styed for maximum grim dark presence. In short, they were a bore. Then I saw some of the armies on Asrai.org and fell in love with the elves again. I pulled a piece from here and from there, and now they look halfway decent.
For the first month, I will be painting 120 points worth of Glade Guard. 10 figures with movement base should not be too hard to polish off.

Here is a picture of the group before I got started on painting them:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w206/andrewdrexler/GG.jpg

Nothing special; just a cloak delete, dreadlocks, and strung bows with arrows where needed. The next batch of GG will have better bow strings since I found a great tutorial on the web minutes after compleating these.

someone2040
02-09-2011, 06:04
Well, here's my vague plan for the 10 months of the tale.

Month 1: Truthsayer + Summoned Wizard
Month 2: Great Taurus
Month 3: Dark Emmissary + Summoned Wizard
Month 4: Cockatrice
Month 5: 2x Razorgor + Summoned Wizard
Month 6: Chimera
Month 7: Dragon
Month 8: Zoat
Month 9: 3x Trolls + Summoned Wizard
Month 10: ???

After the Dragon though is not set in stone. Zoat may come earlier rather than later, depends if I can find second hand pieces I need for the conversion.
Also depends what comes out in the next year. If a Ghorgon/Cygor kit comes out, definately can see myself doing that just because it adds to both Storm of Magic monsters and my existing Beastmen army (Why the Razorgors are on there, since I didn't get them done for the previous Tale).

Avian
02-09-2011, 06:55
So the last Tale I was in got cut somewhat short because we had a baby right in the middle of the season. If we have another one this season, it will at least be near the end. ;)

Thus far I've already pretty much painted up an Archnarok Spider and Mangler Squigs conversion, which I'll probably not count since they were mostly painted in August. If I don't get time, they'll be counted anyway. :p

Stuff I do plan on painting:
- 6 Black Orcs (WIP, started yesterday)
- Savage Orc Big Boss
- Orc Shaman
- Savage Orc Shaman
- 3 Forest Goblin Shamans (one to go on the Spider)
- Night Goblin Bigboss on Bigsquig
- 30 Savage Orcs w two hand weapons
- ~25 Forest Goblins on foot w shields
- 20 Squigs / Handlers
- Giant
- another Archnarok Spider
- 2 or 3 Pump Wagons
(This adds up to less than 2000 pts, so I'll probably have to pick some stuff from the backup list to fill out the schedule.)

Stuff that might get done if I feel like it / need to paint more:
- Doom Diver (I have some plans for a conversion)
- 10-25 Orc Boyz w two hand weapons
- 10-20 Orc Arrerz w bows(!)
- 15-35 Night Goblins w spears / bows
- some more stuff if GW / AoW / Mantic / whatever put out something I like

CaptainFaramir
02-09-2011, 07:26
So the last Tale I was in got cut somewhat short because we had a baby right in the middle of the season. If we have another one this season, it will at least be near the end. ;)

Selfish women and their efficiently, functioning ovaries. Don't get distracted by their allure. They only want you for your sperm and financial security. And opening jars.

OnT:

How do you guys have the time to paint so many figures a month?! 8000pts? That's like, *mutter* 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, new hand, 5 and 1, 5 and 2, 5 and 3 *mutter* that's like EIGHT times as many points as I'm going for?

How do you paint so quickly? It takes me two hours just to base coat models and highlighting takes FOREVER. I've managed two "marauders" so far and I cheated and started on Monday. I've literally no idea how I am going to paint them all.

Mr. Shine
02-09-2011, 07:55
How do you paint so quickly? It takes me two hours just to base coat models and highlighting takes FOREVER. I've managed two "marauders" so far and I cheated and started on Monday. I've literally no idea how I am going to paint them all.

Sounds like you're painting figures individually, which is fine, but not at all time-efficient!

Try painting in a production line, line up say a rank at a time (5-10 models) and paint all the flesh basecoat, then all the flesh wash, then all the flesh highlights. Then paint all the silver basecoat, then the black wash, then the metal highlights. And so on - that way you also keep your colours and highlights more consistent across the unit, as you're painting/highlighting all the same places on the models with the same colours!

I've currently got seven Swordmasters of Hoeth with flash/mould lines cleaned, based and primed white, ready to get on with painting hopefully this weekend to get at least some of the colours on them:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/OneStonedKittah/Hobby%20Stuff/IMG_2420.jpg

:)

Jardain
02-09-2011, 08:14
I have signed up as Empire in boys and the list I want to finish is a heavily converted sort of inquisitionlist of 1100 points. I already have about 5k of empire so the playability of the army isnt very important at all. 100 points of the army is alread painted and thats why I aim at 1100.
List as follows:

Arch Lector on altar
Firemage
5 Pistoliers
30 Halberdiers
30 Free Company
16 Crossbowmen
30 Flagellants
Total 1100 including command and without character upgrades.

In addition to this I will sign up with another project of mine. Not sure wich one yet though tomb kings more more high elves (did high Elves last year) is likely.

colonel kane trine
02-09-2011, 09:33
Batch painting is the way to go I paint in big batches! For example today im going to do all the bone basecoat on 40 skeletons tomorrow il do the metal and shields day after il tidy them up and devlan wash them. Then day after il base them. I find it way better like that

Jonahmaul
02-09-2011, 09:57
hey colonel - in reply to the post from the sign up thread I'm pretty sure I can accommodate a few heads and a standard. Will probably not be for a couple of months if that's cool as need to get my hands on some bits to replace them first (I've got a friend who might have some spare beastmen heads that I'm looking to use)

EDIT - having said that if there's spare in the battalion over what I need anyway you're welcome to them! I'll check when it arrives!

Stretchit
02-09-2011, 10:27
Looking good so far folks.

MALORIAN: I had signed up, in the sign up thread for O&G, men and boys but withdrew due to my situation changing but I seem to be still on the Mens list (that thread is now locked).

After succumbing to the new Ogres I'd like to re-enter under the boys category. I think 3 ogres a month is far more do-able alongside my studies than 30 gobbos. So to clarify, please can I drop the O&G mens to a OK boys, thanks.

colonel kane trine
02-09-2011, 10:45
Nice one jonahmaul just pm me or something and we can sort it
Im still hoping someone joins me in a joint fluff attempt

Malorian
02-09-2011, 12:24
Looking good so far folks.

MALORIAN: I had signed up, in the sign up thread for O&G, men and boys but withdrew due to my situation changing but I seem to be still on the Mens list (that thread is now locked).

After succumbing to the new Ogres I'd like to re-enter under the boys category. I think 3 ogres a month is far more do-able alongside my studies than 30 gobbos. So to clarify, please can I drop the O&G mens to a OK boys, thanks.

List updated.

nkicik
02-09-2011, 12:53
Despite my feeble attempt last year (caused by a just ended year long hiatus from the hobby), I'd like to give this a go again this year.

Can you sign me up for 2400pts of lizards please?

I'm going to start with 20 skink and go from there. I'm thinking yellow or orange as the main colour but we'll see when the models arrive on Monday! I'm going to try and get most of the rank and file done early doors so may fall a little behind to start with but the slaan and engine should more than make up for that.

TheMaster
02-09-2011, 13:03
http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j372/Tamazoid1/SAM_0582.jpg

WiP of my Mage

C&C welcomed

Mace1982
02-09-2011, 13:08
Ok for me it is going to be in the region of 8k high elves if I get my **** together bearing in mind about 2k is characters without magic items so here is my rough list

Lord on star dragon 520

Lord on griffon. 350

Lvl 2 Mage 135

Lvl 2 Mage 135

Lvl 2 Mage 135

Lvl 2 Mage horse 150

Noble bsb 100

Noble 85

Noble 85

Mounted noble 97

50 spears full cmd 475

50 spears full cmd 475

30 archers. Musician 337

30 archers 337

24 seaguard shields full cmd 337

5 reavers champion bow spear 112

5 reavers as above. 112

5 reavers as above 112

5 reavers as above 112

24 sword masters full cmd 390

24 White lions full cmd 390

24 PG full cmd 390

2 tiranoc chariots 170

2 lion chariots 280

10 shadow warriors champ forgot points

5 dragon princes

8 silver helms

4 eagles

3 bolt throwers.

Will add it all up later on god it's alot when typed out

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.502249,-1.333540

CaptainFaramir
02-09-2011, 13:11
Well, here is the WIP for my Warshrine (since my lonely two marauders are finished and therefore techincally not suitable for this thread!)

I am planning to take the chassis of the 5th Ed. War Wagon, and fill it with flames. I am going to put a Mordheim Priest in a High Elf Chariot on the back (and cover it in tapestries hanging down the back) and then I am going to chuck some daemons into the fire!

And, since it's Games Workshop, add some skulls.

This is all I've got so far. Two chariots stuck together and some badly scultped flames!

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x454/NWP20/Warshrine221August.jpg

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x454/NWP20/WarShrine121August.jpg

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x454/NWP20/Warshrine3-Flames223August.jpg

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x454/NWP20/Warshrine3-Flames23August.jpg

dagreenmoonboyz
02-09-2011, 13:38
Alright after a good nights sleep ill attempt this again...

Here at least is my sample savage orc (I hope)

Hopefully will get his unit of 40 done this month.

EmperorNorton
02-09-2011, 13:50
For my Corsair-themed Dark Elves I have set up a separate log (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311047), but nobody seems to appreciate my take on the Major-General's Song.
Currently on my painting table is the main man himself, Lokhir Fellheart.
Work on loads of Corsairs will commence shortly.

EDIT: Early WIP:
http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k395/EmperorNorton668/DSC03221.jpg
http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k395/EmperorNorton668/DSC03219.jpg

For my Ogres my plans include, but are not limited to, a Firebelly, a Stonehorn, a Scraplauncher and an Ironblaster. I have no idea when these will be shipped, though, so for the first month I will probably have to paint some basic troops or finally finish the Gorger I started painting during the last tale. (Since this is an expansion to the 4000 points - which are now probably closer to 3000 points - I painted for the last Tale, this won't necessarily be a legal army in and of itself, but we'll see.)

Archis
02-09-2011, 15:22
So I've got a boys beasts to try and finish off my beastman army, then boys vamps to start a new project. I'm not certain on what I'll be painting for the vamps (lots of core to start I'm sure) so I'll start with my beasts. I know right now I'm looking to paint up:

40 ungors w/ hw shield
5 ungor raiders
2 tuskgor chariots
3 casters
18 bestigors
1 minotaur standard bearer for my unit
2 units of 5 harpies that I've converted from ghouls/ungors/gargoyles

I think other than that it's mainly touching stuff up and deciding on the last 300 points or so of the army.

For the vamps I want to build the army "fresh from the graveyard" so I'm planning on breaking up a couple of gardens of morr to have within the units. We'll see how that works.

Malorian
02-09-2011, 15:24
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w206/andrewdrexler/GG.jpg

I'm always amazed when I see pictures like this.

Yes they look much better with strings, but MAN would it take a LOT of work ;)

colonel kane trine
02-09-2011, 16:18
King raseptras eyes opened slowly asif adjusting to the light that pierced his tombs darkness. His elite guard stood motionless in neat alcoves around the entire vast chamber . Carefully arranged treasure covered the floor watched over by huge animal headed statues clutching massive ornate blades.
King raseptra stepped forward and walked upto his weapons rack.
A shrivelled priest shambled into the chamber his staff clattering on the stone floor.
King raseptra clutched a huge beautifully vicious sword and an ornate shield in his bandaged hands.
Turning to the priest he spoke
'awaken my legions'
The priest hobbled out of the chamber tendrils of magic swarming around him.
The elite tomb guard stepped forward in unison ready to fight for their king.
Within moments a low rumble could be heard through the tomb. King Raseptra walked out the chamber to the soldiers barrack. Thousands of soldiers stood with perfect uniformality. Chariots archers soldiers and vast statues filled the chamber all facing towards a plinth in the centre.
The priest from earlier was wreathed in white glowing tendrils of power. His incantations perfectly opening a portal to the domain of the dead. A blast of light erupted upwards from his eyes before spreading out in a wave of light. White blasts filled the eyes of every warrior in the chamber. Slowly and with perfect deliberation they began to move their souls reunited with their bodies.
With perfect discipline the soldiers began to march ready to obey their mighty king. The time had come and the descendants of the crimson king were marching to war yet again...

I couldnt help myself and ended up spending a few hours getting the basecoats on my archers and 2 horse archers.
I figure that the 20 archers and the 2 horsemens points (about 90) make for a good start!

Goat of Yuggoth
02-09-2011, 17:44
OK, so here's a tester I dabbed in paint:

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss296/GoatofYuggoth/ToFPII001.jpg

He's not perfect, but I'll get there.
And here's some kind of a scale shot of what I have to paint all in all, The pic shows 3000 pts, and I'll paint as much as I can manage!

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss296/GoatofYuggoth/ToFPI001.jpg

Cheers to y'all,
Goat

colonel kane trine
02-09-2011, 18:32
How did you paint that skeleton mate?
Great minds think alike I reckon

Mace1982
02-09-2011, 19:59
Ok so some WIP from me of a high elf mage hope you like c and c welcome

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx308/Mace1982/Warseer%20Project%20Log/DSCF0433.jpg

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx308/Mace1982/Warseer%20Project%20Log/DSCF0434.jpg

:-)

i would love to do a zoomed shot of the elementals but cant quite figure out how to get picasa to save the image like that

ok figured it out obviously i could not spot the word crop amongst all the other cool picasa toys har har :p

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx308/Mace1982/Warseer%20Project%20Log/DSCF0434-2.jpg

Goat of Yuggoth
02-09-2011, 20:29
@colonel: The link in the sig goes straight to the blog, there's a tutorial on those skellies on the second page ;)

And yes we do.

Goat

dwarfhold13
03-09-2011, 01:57
here is what i've worked on so far.. I've got 9 more savage orcs including the banner/mus/champ for the rest of the time.. this is the teaser and shaman.. both still wip.. i won't add tats till i'm done with the 10 of them.. but enjoy!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/gibsn1960/P9021877.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/gibsn1960/P9021876.jpg

Panzer MkIV
03-09-2011, 03:37
Here's the list I'm planning to paint these upcoming months:

Exalted hero on chaos steed 131pts
12 Warriors of Chaos, shields, FC 222pts
25 Marauders, flails, FC 170pts
5 Marauder horsemen, spears, javelins, LA, mus 86pts
5 Chaos hounds 30 pts
1 Chaos chariot 120pts
5 Chaos knights (the old metal ones), FC 250pts

Total: 1009pts

Work is underway on the Exalted champion and the Chaos warriors using the Fat Bloke's paint scheme from UK WD 296

The Marauders will be painted using washes for the most part

I'll try to get some WIP pics up tomorrow :)

Zujara
03-09-2011, 08:27
My goblin list I hope to get done this tale, which was inspired by Malorian's battle reports using an Orc Warboss with a Wizarding Hat

Goblin Warboss, Wizarding Hat, Additional Hand Weapon, Light Armour
Night Goblin Big Boss BSB, Great Weapon, Armour of Silvered Steel
39 Goblins, Short Bows, 2 Nasty Skulkers, Banner & Musician
39 Night Goblins, Spears, Nets, 1 Fanatic, FC
Spear Chukka
3 Trolls
Doom Diver
Mangler Squigs
Snotling Pump Wagon

Total: 998.5

WIP of my Goblin Warboss
http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af182/Zujara/greenskins/wizardbasestart.jpg

Frejdruk
03-09-2011, 09:14
Hello, if possible I'd like to sign up for ogre kingdoms in the men's category! I'll post wip and such later if I'm not too late to join :)

colonel kane trine
03-09-2011, 14:12
Ok so finished 20 archers and 2 horsemen going to start my 39 skeletons+liche priest now! Damn im going to be fed up of painting bone!
My settra arrived today but waiting for my ushabti casket and bonegiant from a trade

Aenarion
03-09-2011, 14:23
Exciting times! How's everyone feeling?

I've entered boys Dark Elves, however I've writen my painting schedule down (I'm entering 40k aswell) and my points total puts me way over the boys, but hey I guess that gives me manouvering ability. I haven't got an army list as such, just going to paint what ever.

For anyone that cares, here's my scehdule;
Dark Elves Dark Angels
Unit points models Unit points models
Corsairs 100 10 Terminators 245 5
Corsairs 125 10 Terminators 245 5
Spearmen70 10 Terminators CM235 5
Spearmen85 10 GM & Chaplin 220 2
Knights 135 5 Drop pods 100 2
Mages & Lokir 450 3 Land Raider 250 1
Knights 175 5 Bikes 220 6
Hydra's 350 2 Ravenwing master 205 1
Dragon 460 1 Terminators CC 215 5
RBT 200 2 Dread's 250 2
Total 2150 58 Total 2185 34

Now, I hope this is ok, I already have 10 corsairs painted previously, however I'm going to split them over my first two months, so I still have to paint 5 more each month on my target.

No WIP pics as yet, I need to find the camera wire, but here's my previous corsair before basing. Excuse the pictures.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/kaleM/Dark%20Elves/DSCF0428.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/kaleM/Dark%20Elves/DSCF0430.jpg

Edit: I also swung by the local store for some essentials....*cough* Dragon

Jonahmaul
03-09-2011, 15:45
Very nice Aenarion, looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Do you go into the Cambridge store? I've not long moved here and thinking I'm going to start going in to play soon as I've not gamed regularly for years!

colonel kane trine
03-09-2011, 17:06
Ok so I got abit distracted..

dwarfhold13
03-09-2011, 17:21
ok.. i know with these things there is nothing set in stone except for the 100/200 pts a month... so here is a little food for thought.. and also what i'm going to try for this tale..
since i am painting 2500 points (or full tourney list) I'm going to pick at random 200 points and i've divided up my savage orcs.. or the bulk of the tedious mini's for the list and have a min amount of orcs to paint per month..
basically it comes out to 200 points + 6 savage orcs ea month.. for those of you who aren't batch painters or haven't gotten use to that yet, try it out.. it'll keep you interested.. the army looks a little hodge podge for about 3 months then you start seeing full units painted... not a bad way to go.. plus you can spend a decent amount of time per figure and not get bored (the most important part!)
my month 1 is changing to: savage orc shaman, 6 savage orcs and 2 so boar boys.. for a grand total of approx. 155 + 54 + 40 = 249
next month will probably be something like 3 spear chukkas, 3 boars, and 1 troll with 6 savage orcs.. pending on school
have fun with it guys!!!!

Purplebeard
03-09-2011, 19:59
I haven't made a full plan yet for my next 2000pts of Dwarves. My army was supposed to have a Northern/Norse twist, but I can't for the life of me think of how to make the Dwarf army function without blackpowder artillery. So I'm going to just go for the lots of warmachines approach, and make sure to go for the more 'traditional/old fashioned looking' versions of each artillery piece. The list isn't really meant to be functional btw, it is more an extension of my existing collection plus my current 'wants list'. So it is a bit light on bodies!

LORDS
I want to get hold of some of the AoW characters (finally!), and to convert my King & Queen on Shieldbearers figures.So I will probably go for:
King on Shieldbearers
Queen on Shieldbearers
Total 500pts

HEROES
I would just like to get al lthe AoW Dwarves tbh.
Runesmith 125pts
Dragonslayer 65pts
Dragonslayer 65pts
Hero 125pts
Engineer 65pts - Krudd Mad Mattock: I just ahd him floating about in my bits box.
Total 445pts

CORE
12 Shieldmaidens (Longbeard proxy) 156 - to bulk the existing unit up to 40.
18 Rangers SHW 234 - to bulk up a pre-Tale unit of Bugman's Rangers to 40.
20 Crossbows FC 245pts
Total 635pts

SPECIAL
2 Cannon 180pts
2 Stone Throwers 160pts - not sure whether to go all black powder and take mortar models for these, or whether to go old-fashioned and take Onager stonethrowers and really old Bombard-type cannons
11 Slayers inc Std 122pts - to get existing unit to 30.
Total 462pts

RARE
Gyrocopter 140pts - definitely the newest one with the pilot with ancestor mask.
Flame Cannon 140pts - not sure which of the 4 versions to get!
Total 280pts

TOTAL 2322pts - but this list is only a rough idea.

The Rares are for the sake of completeness really. So that I have all of the options. The only things I'll be missing after this are Ironbreakers and Thunderers.

Anyway. some WIP pics:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/DR1.jpg
17 Rangers. I started these during ToFP 2010-11, so I can roll them over to the new tale guilt-free.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/DX1.jpg
11/20 Crossbowmen. Ditto as for the above.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/DSL1.jpg
http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/DSL3.jpg
5 Slayers - I need 6 more to make my unit up to 30.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/DQ1.jpg

Dwarf Queen/Princess - she is going to have Shieldbearers and bigger hair, and a bigger axe. Perhaps I'll give her bigger feet too.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/DEN1.jpg

Krudd - he can be an Engineer.

So that's my plan for the Dwarfs. Looking forward to Month 1!

Purplebeard
03-09-2011, 20:38
And now my Chaos stuff, for which I have no real plan, but a good load of models collected over the last couple of years. The army is gonig to be 4000pts, and there are a few 'definites' for inclusion.

LORDS & HEROES
I am definitely having the 'Warlock' in here as a foot Sorceror or Sorceror Lord of Tzeentch. I've also picked up a Hero on Juggernaut, but I'm undecided whether to have him as a Lord or Hero - I guiess Hero would probably be a safer bet. I really fancy getting hold of a flying disc Sorceror and of a Lord/Sorceror Lord on Dragon. I had Egrimm back in the day and reckon I could do a great paintjob on him now....
SO FAR: Sorceror on foot and Juggernaut Khorne Hero are definites - 500ish pts.
I'll work this out over the next month or two....

CORE
Hounds - not sure which models I'll get yet, but definitely 4-6 lots of 5. 150ish pts.
Warriors - 2 units of 18 with FC, at least one unit with MoK. Anyone got ideas for the Mark for the 2nd unit (Tzeentch maybe?) 600ish pts.
Marauders - 2 units of 40 with FC, maybe 1 lot with flails and one with 2HW, I don't know yet. The first lot will definitely be MoK 500ish pts.
Marauder Horsemen - maybe. I HATE the current models so I would have to find alternatives that I like.
TOTAL: 1250ish pts.

SPECIAL
Chaos Knights - 2 units of 5 with FC, 1st unit MoK, 2nd unit a different mark (not sure which yet) - 600ish pts.
Chaos Chariot - one of these, maybe two, because I have enough bits to make one 80s chariot and kitbash a second. First one to have MoK - 150ish pts.
Trolls - 6- in 2 ranks of 3. I think these guys could be fun, more cost-effective (both pts and £-wise) than Dragon Ogres, and a bit better than Ogres for the points - 270ish pts.
TOTAL - 920ish pts.

RARE
Not sure here - I'd like the Giant, the Hellcannon, and the Shaggoth! Going to have to think hard about this section.

OVERALL
Well there are still lots of details to be worked out, but the planned stuff comes to c.2670pts. I'll have a good luck at WoC threads before deciding what other bits to put in to round it out.

Anyway, pics of some of the stuff I have so far:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Ch1.jpg
Warlock

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Ch2.jpg
80s Metal!

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Ch7.jpg

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Ch6.jpg
Don't worry - there are enough bits to finish the chariot!

See you all in Month 1. :)

Richmt11
03-09-2011, 23:02

Lol I started on SM this month too :)

Sorry if I reply alot I'm replying as I find things while I read trough :)

Richmt11
03-09-2011, 23:19
Ok my 2k list...

21 swordmasters
20 Phoenix guard
Archmage on foot
10 archers
10 archers
Noble BSB
6 dragon princes with musician
29 spearmen

That's around 2k with items etc

I also have a further 11 spearmen, 2 great eagles, 2 repeated bolt throwers, 2 lion chariot, 20 archers, 4 dragon princes, noble on steed, 2 mounted mages, another foot Mage, 40 lothern sea guard, 5 ellyrian reavers, a prince on dragon and caradryan which will crop up randomly amongs my main 2k list... Depends what I fancy.

Will get a shot of my 2k list once my SM are done to show this months unit when complete and what is left to be done. I'm plugging my way through the 10 SM right now but my archmage and caradryan are staring at me... Im fear they will get base colour coats on them tonight... Missis is gonna kill me if I'm up too late :)

andrewdrexler
04-09-2011, 03:02
I'm always amazed when I see pictures like this.

Yes they look much better with strings, but MAN would it take a LOT of work ;)

It is not too hard actually, but it is fiddily. I will post a WIP the next time I assemble Glade Guard.

gsmc
04-09-2011, 04:19
Well I haven't planned out my army yet but it will include an oversized hell pit abomination - oh so slimy and bristling with bits - here's what it looks like so far.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad98/iamgsmc/DSC_0001.jpg

Saulot
04-09-2011, 14:25
Hey guys!

Here's my Bretonnian 2k list.

Lord on barded warhorse
Prophetess on warhorse
Paladin on barded warhorse
Damsel on foot
8 Knights of the Realm w/ full command
8 Knights of the Realm w/ full command
34 Men-at-Arms w/ full command
10 Bowmen w/ musician, braziers
10 Bowmen w/ musician, braziers
3 Pegasus Knights
8 Grail Knights
1 Trebuchet

No pics yet since I haven't even bought most of these! hahaha

Jonahmaul
04-09-2011, 14:58
Not entirely sure what my army is going to be as it's an extension of my previous TOFP 2K Dark Elves but it's definitely going to include a Hydra (this months work), a Dragon (the new one if far too cool not to paint), 10 Harpies (converted from Deamonettes) and possibly a couple more mages (I currently have two) just because I really want the ones flying on the 'swirl' and the new plastic one! I'm going to also do some more basic troops in the shape of spearmen and probably going to add more Dark Riders and maybe more Cold Ones as well.

dwarfhold13
04-09-2011, 16:12
Well I haven't planned out my army yet but it will include an oversized hell pit abomination - oh so slimy and bristling with bits - here's what it looks like so far.

i'm a little befuddled, and quite curious, but then again, i just saw a guy who painted a genestealer with blueberries, so i'll pull up a chair... you've got my attention

dwarfhold13
04-09-2011, 16:46
minor update after things changed :)
i went ahead and worked on the troll for next month to get him done.. i really can't wait to paint him.. i'm stoked.
anyway.. w/o further adieu!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/gibsn1960/P9040012.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/gibsn1960/P9040010.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/gibsn1960/P9040005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/gibsn1960/P9040007.jpg

i included the flash/no flash pics because you really can't tell how i highlighted it with my poor lighting.. my light box has been packed away and i'm not about to set it up just yet. enjoy

andrewdrexler
04-09-2011, 17:13
Off to a good start due to a few days off in a row right at the begining of the tale that were not spoken for with house or auto repair. I finished off my first unit and got started on the second one. If I keep up this pace I will graduate from Boys to Men by the time the tail is 1\2 over :D

Mr. Shine
04-09-2011, 19:49
Well I've managed the armour, minus the gold trimming, on my test figure for my Swordmasters. Not quite as productive as I'd have liked, but I can see how the scheme will work and I'm very happy with how it looks so far, so on to batch painting the remaining six for the month once tester is done :)

Doi
05-09-2011, 00:17
Not entirely sure what my army is going to be as it's an extension of my previous TOFP 2K Dark Elves but it's definitely going to include a Hydra (this months work), a Dragon (the new one if far too cool not to paint), 10 Harpies (converted from Deamonettes) and possibly a couple more mages (I currently have two) just because I really want the ones flying on the 'swirl' and the new plastic one! I'm going to also do some more basic troops in the shape of spearmen and probably going to add more Dark Riders and maybe more Cold Ones as well.

Looking forward to this :yes:.

I don't really have a set plan for my Dark Elves either as I'm expanding them from the army I finished in the first TOFP but the selection of models I have to choose from are:

Dreadlord on Black Dragon (Storm of Magic one)
Supreme Sorceress on Manticore (Storm of Magic one)
Sorceress on Dark Pegasus (Gamezone)
Sorceress (Gamezone)
Sorceress (plastic GW)
Sorceress (AoW)
Sorceress (AoW Shadow Witch)
Assassin
Hydra
10 Harpies
10 Cold One Knights
Down the line I might also add some Executioners, Black Guard and Witch Elves.

I dont have a set plan for my Ogre either (as it is another extension) but the options are:
4 Ironguts
Hunter on Stonehoren
Stonehorn
Thundertusk
6 Mournfang Cavalry
Bragg the Gutsman
Down the line I might also add a third Bull unit, some Maneaters and a Firebelly (but definitely no more bloody Gnoblars :p).

Doi

colonel kane trine
05-09-2011, 00:51
Wip! Getting proper into the painting on this beast! Got abit of neatening up to do on the red and the metal needs a devlan wash but its near enough done

Doi
05-09-2011, 01:32
You must paint in your sleep to paint so quickly :p.

I'm thinking a Sorceress on foot for my Dark Elves and Bragg The Gutsman for my Ogres will be my first month as I'm still finishing off the lose ends for my Ogres and Goblins in the current/old TOFP.

Doi

EffCee
05-09-2011, 07:44
Some WIP for my Ogres and Dark Elves for this years tale.

A Leadbelcher

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/fannycrowbar/Ogre%20Kingdoms/002.jpg?t=1315207880

Some various Dark Elves. Mostly finished but there is a lot more to do and it should give you a general idea of my chosen colour scheme.

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/fannycrowbar/dark%20elves/004.jpg?t=1312021833
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/fannycrowbar/dark%20elves/001.jpg?t=1311355962
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/fannycrowbar/dark%20elves/025.jpg?t=1314053263
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/fannycrowbar/dark%20elves/027.jpg?t=1314053299

Jonahmaul
05-09-2011, 08:27
Cheers Doi, that Dark Elf army looks very similar to mine! I currently have the AoW Sorceress and Mae'viir, the Dark Elf Sorceress from Guild of Harmony (http://www.guildofharmony.com/shop_GOH_pg1.php) although I've just seen 'Vanys' too which looks pretty cool! My OK are only going to be a 1000 points so mostly just Ironguts and Bulls for this Tale.

Colonel Kane - I'm starting to think that 8000 points isn't enough for you, that's a seriously impressive painting speed!

Fanny - excellent painting, I love you painting style (your Dark Eldar over in the 40k Tale are ace) and can't wait to see the rest of that dragon. However, what is it with so many of us doing Dark Elves and OK (that's me, you & Doi at least!!)?!

colonel kane trine
05-09-2011, 09:39
Thanks and yep I admit I paint pretty quick when I set my mind to it! So far ive done 20 archers 2 archer horsemen and the necrosphinx thats not far off 400 points already!
Those ogres and dark elves look amazing I love the sorceress!

Toshiro
05-09-2011, 11:31
I'll sign up for mens OnG this year, have a 2500pts list I want to get fully painted and I already have parts of it done, so a mens should be enough to finish it off. I'll post the list later today when I get home, and post pictures of what's done before tha tale. :)

Toshiro
05-09-2011, 11:41
Fanny Crowbar, Lovely DE models!

Doi
05-09-2011, 11:47
Some WIP for my Ogres and Dark Elves for this years tale.

Fanny - excellent painting, I love you painting style (your Dark Eldar over in the 40k Tale are ace) and can't wait to see the rest of that dragon. However, what is it with so many of us doing Dark Elves and OK (that's me, you & Doi at least!!)?!

Looks like we'll have some friendly rivalry then :p. Emperor Norton is doing both Dark Elves and Ogres as well!

Cheers Doi, that Dark Elf army looks very similar to mine! I currently have the AoW Sorceress and Mae'viir, the Dark Elf Sorceress from Guild of Harmony (http://www.guildofharmony.com/shop_GOH_pg1.php) although I've just seen 'Vanys' too which looks pretty cool! My OK are only going to be a 1000 points so mostly just Ironguts and Bulls for this Tale.

I've been eyeing Mae'viir and Vanys as well. How do they scale up next to GW models?

Doi

EmperorNorton
05-09-2011, 11:52
Looks like we'll have some friendly rivalry then :p. Emperor Norton is doing both Dark Elves and Ogres as well!

And I will crush you! :skull:

You know, in a friendly way. :p

Doi
05-09-2011, 12:00
Yeah, crushed beneath the huge amount of models you'll churn out :p.

Doi

Avian
05-09-2011, 12:38
So I managed to paint the additional 6 Black Orcs I'll add to my existing unit in time for the tournament this weekend (where my painting score nicely boosted my average gaming score). That's 78 pts down.
I had also hoped to paint my Avatars of War Orc Shaman, but didn't have the time, so that will be for the rest of the month, and to get up to 200 I'll paint a Pump Wagon.

Good luck to everyone. :)

Jonahmaul
05-09-2011, 13:15
I've been eyeing Mae'viir and Vanys as well. How do they scale up next to GW models?

Doi

Don't know about Vanys as not seen this in the flesh so to speak but Mae'viir is a little smaller than GW stuff but not noticably so, she fits in other infantry units well enough so looks ok (she's a woman and not a warrior so expected to be smaller!)

EffCee
05-09-2011, 14:52
And I will crush you! :skull:

You know, in a friendly way. :p

To be honest crushing me in a friendly way sounds quite a lot worse that crushing me in the good old fashioned aggressive way. :D

spikedog
05-09-2011, 15:57
Well I am still trying to work out the scheme for my first unit, and thus my army but here is what I have so far:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/spikedog_woof/Warhammer/Chaos%20Dwarfs/CD3.jpg

and just in case anyone cares here was what I was thinking with regards to my army list:

Lvl 4 Sorcerer Lord
Lvl 2 Hellsmith
Lvl 1 Hellsmith
BSB Castilian

25 Chaos Dwarf Warriors with Blunderbusses
28 Chaos Dwarf Warriors with Great Weapons

20 Infernals with Fireglaives

Iron Deamon
Dreadquake Mortar
Magma Cannon

EffCee
05-09-2011, 16:06
@spikedog - I've been struggling with a colour scheme for my Chaos Dwarfs for a while now and you may have just nailed it for me. It looks really effective.

dwarfhold13
05-09-2011, 16:40
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/spikedog_woof/Warhammer/Chaos%20Dwarfs/CD3.jpg

I'm pretty sure you just made it move...........

...... seriously, the dog had to move out of my way so I could post how excited I am to see the rest of what you have up your sleeve!

Jonahmaul
05-09-2011, 16:45
Fanny Crowbar - what colours did you use on the grey? My army is very dark as it's purple and green but based on D & D Drow so they all have black skin so some nice grey like that when I paint my dragon would help it pop and put some variety in the army. Tempted to do my Hydra grey too although I was thinking same colours as Cold Ones (two different shades of green) might be best.

EffCee
05-09-2011, 16:58
@Jonahmaul - Its a base of codex grey with fortress grey added for highlights up to pure fortress grey. Some badab black was painted into the deepest recesses.

Great horned owl
05-09-2011, 16:59
ARMY: 1000 points High Elves

BACKGROUND: This army defends the forest kingdom Avelorn, in the north of Ulthuan. The elves who live in this forest have much in common with the wood elves. I imagine them defending some of the last remaining shrines and sacred places.

ARMY LIST: Since I don’t play games with my army, I do not care if it all adds up to a legal list or not. I’ll just pick a unit every month, not much planning in advance.

MODELS: Like a true army commander I have done a roll call and checked my units. There is a lot of work to be done. I have got new models, my own old models and second hand ones. (Those were probably painted by someone in a dark dungeon or with bad eyesight, , since he/she didn’t remove the flash and mould lines before painting).

PAINTING: I haven’t painted in ages. Some of the paints have dried out. Also the can of chaos black undercoat went missing in action. So I had to do some shopping.
Because I want an Avelorn army, I will not be using a lot of white, but a more toned down colour scheme.
The models I paint in September will also be test models for the unifying colours of the army. Each unit will have the same basic colours, with 2 spot colours added. One on clothes and one on the gems.

BASING: I have ordered micro art bases. I hope they will arrive in time for the first unit’s photo shoot.

colonel kane trine
05-09-2011, 17:37
Im liking all the red colour schemes

Jonahmaul
05-09-2011, 18:33
Cheers Fanny Crowbar, was wondering whether you'd bothered with any of the foundation paints. Looks ace. Now, do I do my Hydra grey.....

Dwarfhold - great colour scheme, looking forward to seeing more

EffCee
05-09-2011, 18:40
Maybe paint your Hydra somewhere between your Cold Ones and Dragon, as a sort of transition?

Jonahmaul
05-09-2011, 19:15
That's a possibility. My Cold ones are two different shades of green (need to find my post from the last TOFP I did so I can remember what I used!) and I really like the belly colours but wouldn't want grey scales on the hydra as that'd look silly!

Kharn_21
05-09-2011, 20:40
sign me up for men, painting WoC
rough breakdown as follows
20 marauders + warshrine conversion (using some ogres + raiding my bits box).
5 knights
5 knights
5 knights
lord on demonic steed
10 marauder horsemen
2 sorcerers on foot
10 hounds + the last 3 knights + spawn
maybe a hellcannon
last would be touch-up work on the old khorne troops i have (35 warriors, 48 marauders)

pictures of the new, the old, and the already finished, to come as soon as i charge my camera. grand points total for my army should be closer to 4k.

this is an amazing idea!

dwarfhold13
05-09-2011, 20:46
is anyone in here from Louisiana or surrounding states? would you be interested in doing a duel painting page, and possibly getting together after it's all said and done to have a game (or two) and do a battle report to post when it's all said and done?

Toshiro
06-09-2011, 06:35
@dwarfhold13 - Looks beautiful, I'm looking forward t0 seeing some painted CD :)

Alright, my 2500pts list is as follows:

Lords
Orc Warboss - 168pts
-Additional choppa, tricksters helm

Night Gobln Great Shaman - 220pts
-Level 4, talisman of preservation

Heroes
Orc Big Boss - 130pts
-Battle standard bearer, armour of destiny

Night Goblin Shaman - 50pts

Core
50x Goblins - 260pts
Full command, shields, short bows, nasty skulkers (3)

50x Night Goblins - 250pts
- Full command, spears, nets, fanatic (1)

- Full command, short bows, nets, fanatic (1)

- Full command, nets, fanatic (1)

5x Goblin Wolf Riders - 70pts
-Short bows, shields, musician

Special
38x Black Orcs - 506pts
-Full command, banner of disciplin

7x Trolls - 245pts

Total: 2499pts

Of this list I've already painted (before the TOFP):

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d87/ToshiroMifune/IMG_8428.jpg
Orc Warboss, 168/168pts completed

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d87/ToshiroMifune/IMG_8427.jpg
Night Goblin Shaman - 50/50pts completed

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d87/ToshiroMifune/IMG_8425.jpg
50x Night Goblins (w/spears) 223/250pts completed

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d87/ToshiroMifune/IMG_8426.jpg
50x Night Goblins (w/short bows) 78/250pts completed

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d87/ToshiroMifune/IMG_8424.jpg
5x Goblin Wolf Riders 34/70pts completed (although one rider still needs basing)

Toshiro
06-09-2011, 06:35
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d87/ToshiroMifune/IMG_8423.jpg
7x Trolls 245/245pts completed

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d87/ToshiroMifune/IMG_84221.jpg
38x Black Orcs - 278/506pts completed

All-in-all done before TOFP: 1076pts

Left to paint during TOFP: 1424pts

So, once I've (hopefully) finished this 2500pts list it looks like I'll need to bump it up to a 3000pts list to reach the men's objective for the TOFP :D

Oh and I'm sorry for the poor photos, I suffer from:

1)Very poor lighting
2)Old camera
3)Being a pretty bad painter :p

I'll try to take beter pictures of the thing I paint in the actual Tale :)

Lastly an army shot:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d87/ToshiroMifune/IMG_84211.jpg

You might notice that the bsb and a couple more of the shamans are painted, those are painted during the TOFP so I'll post thm up in the appropriate thread

MLP
06-09-2011, 06:46
I have begun painting my bretonnian undead hunters starting with some men at arms. Although I only have about 100pts worth at the moment so I may have to paint up a damsel to get some points!

I always new the peasants would be hard work! Once I get some knights I'll easily be on track.

Saying that, along with painting my army month by month I'm also buying it monthly, so I don't really know what I'll be painting in what months :/

Saulot
06-09-2011, 08:27
Toshiro: I like your Troll conversions.. simple yet very effective! Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff as ToFP begins!

CaptainFaramir
06-09-2011, 08:48
@Toshiro - I love the colour scheme on the Gobbos! It's going to look great on the battlefield.

Careful of those mould-lines though (pet peeve!)

Toshiro
06-09-2011, 11:51
Toshiro: I like your Troll conversions.. simple yet very effective! Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff as ToFP begins!

Thank you Saulot!

I just grew tired off having them all at the same pose, I'm glad you like them :D

@Toshiro - I love the colour scheme on the Gobbos! It's going to look great on the battlefield.

Careful of those mould-lines though (pet peeve!)

Thank you CaptainFaramir!

I'm glad you like the colour scheme, I started it as bart of a batrep series about a tribe that migrated to the deserts above Nekekhara. :)

I know, the mold lines kinda messes it up, especially on photo, but thb I think I'm just to lazy to fix them :p Which really is a shame to be honest because I know they detract quite substantially from the result.

BigbyWolf
06-09-2011, 12:19
I'll sign up- 2000points of Konrads Vampire Counts...I'll have a camera in about a week so will be able to post pictures of my attempts at painting...

EDIT- And I'll see if I can fit in 2K of Greenskins too...

Toshiro
06-09-2011, 12:44
Sweet, more Konrad! :D

colonel kane trine
06-09-2011, 14:30
Im very tempted by ogres so thats my entry for next year sorted already lol

Darnok
06-09-2011, 16:25
As my only sizable forces for both WHF (Zombie Pirates) and 40K (Daemons) came from the ToP project, I think it is time for another try. I really want to get my Ogres painted, especially with all those shiny new toys. But as I also know myself - being perfectionist on a good day and plain lazy on a bad one - I rather get a smaller force done and finish the Tale than attempt the big thing and fail.

So please sign my up for Ogre Kingdoms - Boys League.

Lord Dan
06-09-2011, 17:42
Everything's looking great! Keep it coming, guys!

First unit WIP:
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb113/SirLordDan/003-19.jpg

One I finished the uniforms and base the unit I'll move on to some crossbowmen and a cannon.

Malorian
06-09-2011, 18:08
Updated the list.

Darnok
06-09-2011, 18:15
Updated the list.

... and missed me (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5760664&postcount=96). ;)

BigbyWolf
06-09-2011, 18:15
Sweet, more Konrad! :D

Same Konrad, more paint. :p

Malorian
06-09-2011, 18:20
... and missed me (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5760664&postcount=96). ;)

Fixed.

(Now I know what it feels like to be Braad :eek: Can't just skim through posts and look at the pretty pictures like I used to ;))

Darnok
06-09-2011, 18:29
Fixed.

(Now I know what it feels like to be Braad :eek: Can't just skim through posts and look at the pretty pictures like I used to ;))

I usually don't ban for stuff like this. :p

Toshiro
06-09-2011, 18:32
Same Konrad, more paint. :p

It's Konrad, paint, no paint, I'm happy either way :D (although a bit more happy with paint... and reports... always want more reports about that looney :D)

Everything's looking great! Keep it coming, guys!

First unit WIP:
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb113/SirLordDan/003-19.jpg

One I finished the uniforms and base the unit I'll move on to some crossbowmen and a cannon.

Looks great Dan!

Malorian
06-09-2011, 18:50
I usually don't ban for stuff like this. :p

You almost gave me a heart attack there!

For a second I took this to mean that Braad had been banned, and I had to quickly search for him to see if he was or not :eek:

Anyway, don't you get 1 'Get Out of Ban Free' card for every 10,000 posts? :p

Oh wait... I think I already used that one during the Storak Wars...:shifty::p

malvolion
06-09-2011, 19:41
Hello, this is my first post on warseer after lurking around for a year.

Had some of my Bretonnians for 15 years and sadly they have been neglected.

So I will accept this challenge with 2k of bretonnians.

My first 200 will be 40 peasant bowmen (2x20 with full command each = 240pts, I assume the points value does not include magic items).

colonel kane trine
06-09-2011, 20:14
Another poo phone pic from me! When we start the tale properly next month I will be using the wifes proper camera and internet!
But thats what im painting atm
14 tomb guard and a liche priest

Avian
06-09-2011, 21:24
Painting a Snotling Pump Wagon at the moment and unsure of how to paint the spore things the little greenies are tossing. I'm thinking a white with a bit of blue in it, or maybe orange? The rest of my army is fairly dull greens, greys and browns. Thoughts?

Malorian
06-09-2011, 21:40
Nothing wrong with brown mushrooms.

Lord Dan
06-09-2011, 21:56
Looks great Dan!
Thanks, Toshiro! What are you painting for month 1?

That looks like a great start, Col. Kane. What are your plans as far as adding some color to them?

EDIT: Avian, what about blue with white spots?

Frejdruk
06-09-2011, 22:39
Fixed.

And me too I'm afraid :) I'd like to sign up for 2000 pts Ogre Kingdoms, I posted on page 2 (well depending on settings, maybe it's page 3
with standard set up?)

colonel kane trine
06-09-2011, 23:11
Ok so far iv nearly finished
5 horse archers=70 pts
20 archers=120 pts
Liche priest=155 pts
14 tomb guard=212
Necrosphinx=235 pts
Not far off 800 points so far...
The tomb guard just need neatening up,devlan washing and basing!

dwarfhold13
07-09-2011, 01:07
@dwarfhold13 - Looks beautiful, I'm looking forward t0 seeing some painted CD :)

Hey man.. thanks for the compliment, but I should probably pass it along to it's rightful owner.. I wish I were painting chaos dwarfs... i have the savage orc army on the 2nd page.. i'm buying as i paint so it's not a full list yet... i'm a poor college adult now :(

Richmt11
07-09-2011, 05:11
Would love to post some WIP shots but I keep finishing things! Eek!

I have completed my 10 Swordmasters w/command, then caradryan and archmage were moaning so I got them done. Ive done a tester Phoenix guard.

So WIP now is 10 archers I have based and to be washed and have so far based 4 PG.

So I've got enough for this month and I'm playing next few weeks so there will be little progress, lucky I had an easy weekend to get stuff done!

Next priority is sorting a lightbox..

Rich

Toshiro
07-09-2011, 06:16
Thanks, Toshiro! What are you painting for month 1?QUOTE]

I'm starting out with my characters since I want to get them done for a game I have on saturday. After that I'm going to focus on completing the near-finished units, so the Night goblins with spears and, if time allows, the wolf riders. :)

[QUOTE=dwarfhold13;5761664]Hey man.. thanks for the compliment, but I should probably pass it along to it's rightful owner.. I wish I were painting chaos dwarfs... i have the savage orc army on the 2nd page.. i'm buying as i paint so it's not a full list yet... i'm a poor college adult now :(

Doh, my mistake, gonna go and check on the savages then ^^

I know how it is to be a poor student, used to be one myself, I don't miss those days :p (except maybe for the drinking, the se..errm... and the loads of free time I had :p)

EDIT: Those savages are gorgeous!

dwarfhold13
07-09-2011, 06:25
lol.. thanks man!
yeah, i missed out on the true college experience... I went to work 3 semesters in and quit school. ended up in a band for almost 9 years and got married and grew up (had a kid) in there somewhere, and went back on a mission... free time isn't in my vocabulary anymore, but i'm designating what little time i have in between subjects to pick up a brush for 30 minutes here and 30 minutes there...
no painting tonight though... calc quiz tomorrow and phys homework and paper due the next day... arrggg

btw.. wait till you see what's coming next month.. a little treat from the normal goblin bolt throwers, and doing a unit filler for the savage boys.. i actually can't wait to paint it!

Toshiro
07-09-2011, 07:25
Sounds very intriguing! I'll await that with anticipation! :D

I have a couple of goblin unit fillers myself that I'm ithcing to paint :D

I know about the no time issue, urgh...

Mr. Shine
07-09-2011, 10:30
After being dissatisfied with my efforts in painting my Swordmaster test model, I decided to try my hand at one of the Island of Blood Clanrats...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/OneStonedKittah/Hobby%20Stuff/IMG_2431.jpg
(excuse the shoddy macro on my iPhone with indoor lighting)

...so Malorian, could I pretty please change my entry to 1000pts of Skaven instead? :angel:

colonel kane trine
07-09-2011, 11:05
Raseptras gold legion! Still wip but near enough done sorry the pictures abit dark but you get the idea :-)

Toshiro
07-09-2011, 11:28
@Mr Shine - I like that clanrat, red is a good colour for it! :)

@Colonel kane trine - A bit dark so hard to make out the colours properly, but I do like what I see :)

gonzosbignose
07-09-2011, 11:30

ROFL... :D

I had to leave a reply to this as quite simply, you made me actually physically laugh out loud in the office!!!

To everyone involved in this years tale, I look forward to seeing all your progress over the next few months and will leave replies as and when I can, and my feet are on Terra Firma.

In the mean time... Keep up the good work

regards

My name is Daniel and I am a wargamer

colonel kane trine
07-09-2011, 11:35
Il try to get better pictures tomorrow when theres hopefully abit more sun! Im quite happy with how they turned out though

Avian
07-09-2011, 12:06
Painting plan. Six models done, 130ish to go...

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/tarjeiaasen/Orcs%20n%20Goblins/CIMG1739.jpg

And if you have any old metal Forest Goblin infantry lying around that you don't use, sell them to me! :)

DeathCat147
07-09-2011, 14:14
No real painting plan as such, im just going to go with the flow and make sure whatever i do for my Empire force come to about 100 points each month.

Here is a W.I.P of my gold wizard for this month.....

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x338/Hildebrand147/100_0254.jpg

Lord Dan
07-09-2011, 15:15
Avian: See, you're ~4.6% done and we're only 7 days in! At that rate you'll be done in 146 more days! Keep rolling, man!

Deathcat: That gold wizard is just freaking cool. You need to bottle up that awesome sauce and sell it for loads of money.

Toshiro
07-09-2011, 16:05
@Avian - What the terminator said :)

@DeathCat147 - That gold wizard is awesome!

Saulot
08-09-2011, 01:17
DeathCat147: glad to see you getting some paint on that fantastic mini of yours! I enjoyed watching you build up that conversion on your thread!

Avian:That plan's a good 'un! I did the same "treatment" for my 2k Bretonnian list and it didn't look quite as many! hahaha

colonel kane trine: Good luck with your massive project!! I just hope you don't burn out too soon! Would love to see all those painted minis all together!!

Mr. Shine: Test mini is looking good! Love it's creepy eye!

ToFPainters: This is getting pretty exciting! Hope everyone posts more pics! Moar!!! :D

dwarfhold13
08-09-2011, 02:16
you know... it's funny, you take your time painting stuff.. but you are so anxious to get to everything else that you want to paint, it's so hard to just stick with a single model..
i already started a figure for next month, and i'm stuck on what to do with it.. so when i post pics i'll see what you guys think
as far as this months stuff.. i have a little 250 point warband of 6 savage orcs, a shaman, and 2 boars... i'll get pics later, but one of the boars faces is done, the other is halfway.. every orc has his basecoat and now i have to start working them up... the troll for next month is literally half painted... and blue!
post pics tonight hopefully!

Imperial Stormtrooper
08-09-2011, 04:13
Well, I'm not really the most motivated painter(I really like the gaming side of the hobby more), But I also really love the feeling of seeing a fully painted army that you painted yourself. Thus, I'm entering my name in the hope that this set of goals and encouragement will help me paint up my Brand new army :D

I recently got back into the hobby, and decided to celebrate my return with a big ole' new Dark Elf army! Unfortunately I spent all my disposable income this month on food and models, so I won't be able to start painting till this month :cries: but I would still like to enter my name in :D

The Army will end up being hopefully, 2500 points at the end(because thats what it is with the models I bought), although I can accept getting to 2000 or 2250 painted.

http://i.imgur.com/WjtBp.jpg
Shoddy picture I know, but that is the state that the army is in currently, And that mess of sprues at the bottom left is an entire battalion waiting to be built up lol.

For exact models, my army will consist of:
2 Sorceresses
1 Master on foot
1 master on pegasus
83 Warriors :eek:
20 Black Guard
12 Shades
1 Hydra
2 Reaper Bolt Throwers

Hope to get painting with you guys soon!

dwarfhold13
08-09-2011, 04:52
83 warriors... good lawdie... i thought painting 50 corsairs was bad enough!

here are my updates to wip.. i have to finish a paper after this, but i wanted to ask you guys something.. i'm going to hit the paints a little later too..
here is the mini warband.. or at least feels like one :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/gibsn1960/P9080006.jpg
and i shall call him piggles! at least until the real piggles is done.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/gibsn1960/P9080005.jpg

this one is the one i wanted to get your opinion on.. i'm already in about 6 coats on the skin so far, but it only gets deeper.. basically its this.. trollblood base, devlan mud, trollblood base highlight, thrakka green, trollblood base, then reaper seafoam blue (right in tween trollbase and troll highlight). i still haven't done the final extreme highlight on it.. but this is the question.. after that extreme highlight, should i wash all the skin in a thin coat of thrakka green again then do the final highlight again? the green gives him a jade green kinda color and its pretty cool. also.. i'm torn on the scales.. he is a little blue/gray scale right now.. and i was trying to do a poison frog type theme with him. i thought about doing a fine highlight on the very edge of the scales in something crazy.. like a yellow or bright drab green?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/gibsn1960/P9080003.jpg

thanks guys!

Toshiro
08-09-2011, 06:16
@Imperial Stoormtrooper - I'm just like you, I'm not a motivated (and in my case not a very good one either :p) painter so I feel ya', but just like you I prefer the feel of putting a fully painted army on the field and knowing that at least you painted it up yourself :D I'll be watching you progress with great interest! Oh and 83 warriors, that's sweet! I'm dreading my 150 goblins waiting on the painting line 'shudders'

@Dwarfhold13 - I think that troll looks sweet, but I agree that a poisonous green would be even better. Thraka green wash is a good step I think, and perhaps the Scorpion Green?

Here is the model I'm working on at the moment, a unit filler for my night goblins with spears, this in one really ramshackle construction built by whatever I could find laying around the desk, which is kinda fitting for goblins :p

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d87/ToshiroMifune/IMG_8438.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d87/ToshiroMifune/IMG_8437.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d87/ToshiroMifune/IMG_8436.jpg

DeathCat147
08-09-2011, 09:18
Lord Dan, Toshiro and Saulot: Thanks :D.

dwarfhold13 i love the work you have done on the boar and river troll :).

Toshiro that unit filler is looking good :).

The Yak
08-09-2011, 11:03
@ Dwarfhold13: Those savage orcs are superb, I love the flesh tones.
@ Spikedog: Wow that Chaos Dwarf looks fantastic.
@Lord Dan & Deathcat147: For The Empire!!!

Ok I have started my 12 Archers and I know how I am painting them. However my Amber Wizard is causing me a few problems. I plan on going with the following but dont know if having a black beard will make the overall look to dark...

Beard = Black/grey
Robes = Dark Red/Brown
Lion Furs = Standard lion colour (as opposed to one of those Chrace)
Wolf Fur Front = Brown?
Wolf Fur Back = Black?
Bird = Song thrush or Jay?

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/006-2.jpg
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/007-2.jpg

I may go for a white beard and black wolfskin but I just cant make my mind up so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Toshiro
08-09-2011, 11:16
@DeathCat147: You're welcome and thanks in return :D
@The Yak: I'd go with a white beard and I'd probably go with grey on the wolf skin, I use that on my wolves and think it usually turns out pretty good :)

colonel kane trine
08-09-2011, 11:48
@saulot I shouldnt burn out as I get the chance to paint every morning before work So im hoping to get an hour a day done. Im touring with my band soon so got to see how that affects things

@dwarfhold13 I look forward to seeing more of your orcs!

Everyone else I cant wait for the project to start properly in october as il be commenting you all!

Malorian
08-09-2011, 16:22
Starting to get cold feet with my brets...

I have no problem painting up my orcs and goblins but I just don't want to put brush to model on the brets. The reason for this is that orcs and goblins can look dirty and slopy, but brets should be perfect, bright, and stunning... something my skills lack...

I guess I don't want to have them painted and then regret it because they aren't good enough...

Seriously tempted to drop them out and just do 3K of O&G...

colonel kane trine
08-09-2011, 16:32
Drop them mate just do what you feel comfortable with :-)

Toshiro
08-09-2011, 16:35
I agree wil colonel kane trine on this one :)

Darnok
08-09-2011, 16:38
Starting to get cold feet with my brets...

I have no problem painting up my orcs and goblins but I just don't want to put brush to model on the brets. The reason for this is that orcs and goblins can look dirty and slopy, but brets should be perfect, bright, and stunning... something my skills lack...

I guess I don't want to have them painted and then regret it because they aren't good enough...

Seriously tempted to drop them out and just do 3K of O&G...

How about a crusading themed army, with quite some dirt added? Might look pretty cool. And it would be something different too.

Green Feevah!
08-09-2011, 22:33
Progress report:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/mfostkd/IMG_0105.jpg

Since this picture, I finished the flesh and golds. I'm down to the blues and the bases.

dwarfhold13
08-09-2011, 22:35
malorian, if you are fighting it now, it'll get a little more difficult as time goes on.. .but in the same light... you won't ever get over it if you don't just go for it.. if you have the time.. go for it... if you really don't want to ... stick with the ones you definitely want to paint and maybe plink out a bret every once in a while.
have fun with it!

dagreenmoonboyz
09-09-2011, 02:45
malorian just paint a mix ... getting out of the comfort zone is important with painting. If you must paint more of a mix leaning towards O & G but you gotta start sometime... I've seen your vids you got a lot of Sh*# to paint in your basement : P

juicytomatoes
09-09-2011, 02:50
howzabout the Empire (of Nippon!)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xMtSmGdUSgo/TkTGdnVoVXI/AAAAAAAAAGE/ejtFUPzwUEg/HalflingsWIP2.jpg
Some monopose halflings with naginata (counts as halberds)

Oh yeah, Malorian, I'm feeling a little optimistic today, could you put me down for Tomb Kings, also in the Boys catergory, please. Thanks!

Saulot
09-09-2011, 05:15
I've seen your vids you got a lot of Sh*# to paint in your basement : P

SECONDED!! You can do it Malorian!! Quite a few of us doing Brets! We should all stick together!! :D

Toshiro
09-09-2011, 05:57
@Green Feevah!: Looking very sharp, beautiful swordsmasters!

grhino
09-09-2011, 06:26
I will join in on the tale once more... never made any progress before but since I've been painting quite a bit lately I will enter my TK's into the challenge. Here's the army as it stands, with the expansion included.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd324/grhino33/IMG00714-20110808-0942.jpg

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd324/grhino33/IMG00717-20110808-0942.jpg

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd324/grhino33/IMG00716-20110808-0942.jpg

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd324/grhino33/IMG00715-20110808-0942.jpg

The warsphinx has already been painted, but there's plenty of other stuff in there.

The aim for this month is to get my Ushabti painted alongside some 10 archers. This adds up to about 230 points...

Aenarion
09-09-2011, 08:45
Very nice Aenarion, looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Do you go into the Cambridge store? I've not long moved here and thinking I'm going to start going in to play soon as I've not gamed regularly for years!

Cheers Jonahmaul. I don't go to the cambridge store, peterborough store is my local. You slap bang in cambridge? To be honest I can't say I head to the stores much these days, but my local is a fairly big store with some great chaps down there. I do hit up the occassional campaign.

Some really great wip's coming out here guys! Love seeing different directions on the dark elves.

I'm off to buy space marine now, this could be difficult.

Mr. Shine
09-09-2011, 09:49
Just painted my second test Clanrat, and I really, really love these miniatures! They're so full of character and an absolute joy to paint, yet without being very complicated at all. They're brilliant!

Scheme so far is looking like red and the odd bit of bone for robe colours. I considered going Gretchin Green with the Devlan Mud wash but the red 'pops' a lot more.

@Malorian: I think you should stick with whatever you enjoy painting. If you're not enjoying your Bretonnians (and I had the exact same issue with High Elves versus the Skaven I've switched too - gritty/dirty is easier and cooler to paint!) then switch out for something else!

Jonahmaul
09-09-2011, 12:51
OK folks, some comments:

Imperial Stormtrooper - looking forward to seeing that army come together

dwarfhold13 - excellent looking stuff, I really like that Troll as it is

Toshiro - love that unit filler and looking forward to seeing the whole unit together

The Yak - just leave the beard until last, especially if you're priming the miniature black as then if you don't like it then you can just change it.

Green Feevah - loving those SM although a front shot would be nice! They look very bright, how did you paint them?

drhino - impressive looking army, can't wait to see if fully painted

aenarion - yeah, I'm living in Cambridge itself so that's my local store. Only been in there once so far but want to get back into gaming a bit more so going to start going in

Purplebeard
09-09-2011, 18:22
I've revised my plans slightly and have a pretty-much definite Dwarf list now:

LORDS
Queen on Shieldbearers 250pts

HEROES
Engineer 65pts - Krudd Mad Mattock
+ Others - as yet undecided. Probably a better BSB figure to put in here.

CORE
14 Shieldmaidens (Longbeard proxy) 182pts
18 Rangers HW+S 234pts
20 Crossbows FC 245pts
Total 661pts

SPECIAL
16 Hammerers inc FC 238pts
2 Cannon 180pts
2 Stone Throwers 160pts
11 Slayers inc Std 122pts
Total 700pts

RARE
Gyrocopter 140pts - definitely the newest one with the pilot with ancestor mask.
Flame Cannon 140pts - not sure which of the 4 versions to get!
Total 280pts

TOTAL 1956 + some characters.

I'm thinking long term. Things which aren't so good right now will probably be better in future (and vice versa) .So I'm going for the 'one of everything' + 'everything I like' approach. Still working on my ToFP 2010-11 Dwarves and Gnomes!

colonel kane trine
09-09-2011, 18:26
Drhino-im looking forward to seeing your army!

Purplebeard
09-09-2011, 19:09
LORDS
Sorceror Lord of Tzeentch L4 350pts
Total 350pts

HEROES
Exalted, Juggernaut 250pts
Sorceror L2 200pts
Total 450pts

CORE
18 Warriors - FC, MoK, Halberds+Shields 336pts
40 Marauders - FC, MoK, GW or Flails 250pts
Total 586pts

SPECIAL
6 Chaos Knights - FC, MoK c.300
6 Chaos Knights - FC, MoT c.300
Chaos Chariot, MoK 150pts
Total 750pts

TOTAL = 2136
20 infantry, 12 cavalry, 1 chariot, 1 monstrous cavalry.

I might round it out to 4000 (not sure yet), in which case I will go for the following extras:
LORDS:
Sorceror Lord on Disc L4 c.400pts
HEROES:
BSB c.200pts
CORE:
40 Marauders - FC, GW or flails, maybe MoS c.250pts
18 Warriors - FC, MoT, Halberds+Shields c.340pts
3 * 5 Hounds 90pts
Total 680pts
SPECIAL:
6 Chaos Trolls with some mark (not sure which yet) 330pts+
RARE:
Hellcannon 205pts

I am also REALLY tempted to go for O&G. I have a Wyvern (which I REALLY want to paint), plus various O&G goodies, all begging for my attention. What to do? :S

Avian
09-09-2011, 19:15
Go Green, it is the way of the future!

Avian: See, you're ~4.6% done and we're only 7 days in! At that rate you'll be done in 146 more days! Keep rolling, man!
Well, I did some planning (the advantage of planning your painting is that if you are good enough at deluding yourself, it almost feels like progress) and by converting everything to Infantry Equivalents (infantry is 1 IE, the Arachnarok is 16 and everything else is something in between), I found that my full plan is 198 IE. With 6 guys done, I'm 3% on way to the goal. Mini-Waaagh!

Or, in reality it's better than that, since I'm putting the finishing touches on my Pump Wagon (estimated at 4 IE) and I've done some basic work on the Shaman (1 IE).

Still, it's 4 IE each week for a year. *groan*

Morkash
09-09-2011, 22:05
Mhh, after the rampaging Courier Rhinox was calmed, I was able to get my Ogre Kingdoms order! Let the feast begin! :)
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/295/grandtotal.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/grandtotal.jpg/)

And the Bruiser loaded with too many Ogre Pistols. He will serve as Maneater Champion, while his lads will be converted using the new shiny bitz!
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/5388/bruiserp.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/bruiserp.jpg/)

So for the next few days, alot of assembly will be in order. Army list will follow tomorrow, as well as maybe one or two WIP Ironguts!

Lets get this done, guys!

colonel kane trine
10-09-2011, 00:21
Is that the limited edition bruiser? Cant wait to see him painted! The mournfang boxset should have some cool bits in it to use on maneaters!
Will you be getting golgfag,firebelly or my favourite bragg the gutsman?

dwarfhold13
10-09-2011, 01:04
i love christmas in september!

Morkash
10-09-2011, 06:26
Yep, colonel, that is the Limited one. Was able to get one relatively cheap! :)
The Finecasts are on their way, they were ordered by Mail Order!

colonel kane trine
10-09-2011, 08:14
Woo! Im tempted to get bragg and add him to my skaven army

Purplebeard
10-09-2011, 09:10
@juicytomatoes: Ecellent. Halfling Ashigaru/Samurai will be an amazing army. And you can explain their super-enhanced human statline through all their dedicated Halfling Samurai training :P

@Avian: OOh I might, but I'm already on for 4000/6000pts. 8000pts might be a bit much (though certainly fun) :D

@Morkash Gorehowl: Had a look at the GW site the other day and the new stuff is mostly great (apart from the cannon). The Thundertusk beastie looks awesome. I am jealous right now. GW have definitely gone for a slightly more Eastern, more nomadic look, and it really works. Looking forward to the OK armies this year.

Richmt11
10-09-2011, 12:11
@Jonahmaul - I am in Haverhill which isnt too far from Cambridge. If you are up for a game sometime let me know when you will be going to the store. I play HE and O&G. If your looking to get back to playing its ideal as im fairly new. If oyu was in sotre on Wednesday you may have seen me getting a trousing by Ogres. My elves turned and ran!

@Morkash Gorehowl - I hate your pictures! You dont understand how hard it is for me to resist buying shiny new stuff when i have my 5k HE to paint and 4k O&G to paint!!

@MALORIAN - Can you put me for another MENS with my O&G. I have so far painted 10 swordmasters w/ full command, archmage & caradryan this month. I paint fast cos im cack at it! So i have now started one my O&G and have done 5 blorcs and started on grimgor so need another listing!

Cheers,

Rich

Zark the Damned
10-09-2011, 17:07
OK, I have finally gotten my head in gear after a short breather post-Orks (last year's tale) and will be joining in with 2000pts of Dogs of War, expanding my force from a few tales ago :)

Good luck to everyone!

Toshiro
10-09-2011, 20:59
Toshiro - love that unit filler and looking forward to seeing the whole unit together

Thank you, I'm glad you like it! :D

the1stpip
11-09-2011, 16:35
Well, what am I starting with?

5 Slaaneshi Marauders (25 pts)
5 Slaaneshi Warriors (75 pts)
Slaaneshi Sorceress (100-ish pts)

My current issue is that most of it is heavily converted, and I am waiting on some bitz deliveries from the US.

Mace1982
11-09-2011, 17:42
well it seems i proper screwed myself over i started with the IOB Lothern Seaguard models and oh my god what a pain in the rectum they are to paint, i am working on ten of them atm and have another 14 to go ugh ugh ugh

Toshiro
11-09-2011, 18:38
@the1stpip: I'm looking forward to seeing them!
@Mace1982: Hang in there man and truck through it until you reach the better models down the road :)

Richmt11
11-09-2011, 19:01
Well I finally sorted my photo bucket app!

So here's my blorc tester (providing I have been added with o&g aswell:
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u216/richmt11/photo3-3.jpg
Opinions?

And my swordmaster tester I done some time ago and had posted up on another thread:
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u216/richmt11/photo5-10.jpg
Opinions?

Rich

dwarfhold13
11-09-2011, 19:02
I'm going to try and get around to posting kudos later, but i have another question for you guys.

In my list, somewhere later on down the tale, i'll be creating two figures for mangler squigs.. here is what i've got it boiled down to:
1. savage orc with beasts on chains, almost like he is controlling his pets.
2. savage orc riding some kinda rabid beast (think a slightly modified razorgor)
3. a single behemoth figure.. like an overgrown/mutant orc.. it got me thinking about southpark and manbearpig... except this would be orcbearpig... i could switch the face of a minotaur out for a boar and paint him green... just thought it was a hilarious venture.. .just seems a little far fetched lol

Mace1982
11-09-2011, 19:13
@Mace1982: Hang in there man and truck through it until you reach the better models down the road :)

cheers man, dont get me wrong the models are gorgeous just not the easiest to paint and as i aint really painted anything more than 2 half models in the last 6 months and the 6 years prior to that nothing its a daunting task :p

ScytheSwathe
11-09-2011, 20:27
take two.

Ima terribly unproductive painter. Some of you will remember my joining last years thread, only to paint approximately 12 high elves and lose interest. Hmmm

This year im determined to give it another go.

to make life easier on myself ill enter the boys category, 100 points of high elves per month. thats about 2 models a week. Even i can manage that! Surely....

Better get to work...

Toshiro
11-09-2011, 20:35
@Richtmt11: i like the black orc,especially the base, looks good. The swordsmasters are spot on, love the purple and gold!
@dwarfhold13: I like the first option the best.
@Mace1982: Sometimes the most beautiful miniatures are the wort to paint since you know you won't do the justice :p
@ScytheSwathe: Welcome back to the tale then, I'll toast to your success this year!

Here comes two more WIPs of my unit filler (which might on occasions also fill in as a snotling pump wagon, but it is constructed to be a filler for my spear night goblins). With some luck I might get it finished tomorrow evening, although most likely it will be finished later this week, at which point I can start painting the next unit filler for the spear night goblins, which I'm really looking forward to :)

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d87/ToshiroMifune/IMG_8449.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d87/ToshiroMifune/IMG_8450.jpg

juicytomatoes
11-09-2011, 23:31
@juicytomatoes: Ecellent. Halfling Ashigaru/Samurai will be an amazing army. And you can explain their super-enhanced human statline through all their dedicated Halfling Samurai training :P

Thanks! And yes, their training is indeed dedicated, as are your longbeard shieldmaidens ;)

colonel kane trine
11-09-2011, 23:55
Finally started on my skeleton horde!
So far I have done way more than I intended but I think its my first tale first month enthusiasm! So far I have got
14 tomb guard-212 pts
King raseptra-270 pts
39 skeletons-186
Liche priest-310 pts
High priest khatep-330 pts 20 archers-120 pts
Necrosphinx-235 pts
1663 points done already!
Think il reach my monthly target

Doi
12-09-2011, 00:11
So far I have done way more than I intended but I think its my first tale first month enthusiasm! So far I have got
14 tomb guard
King raseptra
39 skeletons
Liche priest
High priest khatep
20 archers
Necrosphinx

I think you mean: "I've finished about 2000pts before Doi has even started his models for the month" :p.

Doi

colonel kane trine
12-09-2011, 00:17
Yep thats about it :p im a very fast painter and do crazy batch painting to maximise my painting!
I doubt il be painting much more after the skeleton hordes done!
Im waiting for 4 ushabti a bone giant 16 horsemen 3 sepulchral stalkers a tomb scorpion a tomb king a mounted priest 2 caskets of souls 32 skeletons and a battalion to arrive!

Doi
12-09-2011, 00:32
... So you can't paint 3000pts for next month? :p

Doi

colonel kane trine
12-09-2011, 00:43
Is that a challenge? Im at 1663 at the moment with 19 days left...
I can do that easy

dwarfhold13
12-09-2011, 04:36
lol... grit 'yer teeth and get in there then! i'll be taking my time.. slow and steady ____ ___ ____. :)
so far so good... 3 tests this week though :(

Saulot
12-09-2011, 05:13
haha I'm with you dwarfhold, slow and steady for me as well. Though I fear I'll be more on slow rather than on the steady. :p

Toshiro
12-09-2011, 05:57
14 tomb guard-212 pts
King raseptra-270 pts
39 skeletons-186
Liche priest-310 pts
High priest khatep-330 pts 20 archers-120 pts
Necrosphinx-235 pts
1663 points done already!

Holy sh....skeletons... that's a lot of painting!

Goat of Yuggoth
12-09-2011, 07:42
That's what I call blitz painting! :O

For me, it seems that this month sees the painting of some ten-ish Grave guard, and a Necromancer. That's guite much 200pts, so I'm really happy about the progress. Never really had that much painted in a month, and I'm even dividing my painting sessions into halves with my commission work!

But I'm not going to treat you quite yet with finished ones.

Cheers,
The Goat

(PS: kolonel kane, you'll get 20 000 pts painted at that pace, what the...)

colonel kane trine
12-09-2011, 09:41
I wish I had 20ks worth of models!
*edit* postman just brought my casket ushabti giant and 16 horsemen so im going to start on them

Jonahmaul
12-09-2011, 12:21
@Jonahmaul - I am in Haverhill which isnt too far from Cambridge. If you are up for a game sometime let me know when you will be going to the store. I play HE and O&G. If your looking to get back to playing its ideal as im fairly new. If oyu was in sotre on Wednesday you may have seen me getting a trousing by Ogres. My elves turned and ran!

That'd be cool dude, I've not actually been in to do any gaming yet. I'm moving this weekend but probably going to start going in sometime in the next couple of weeks so I'll give you a shout to arrange a game. Suppose I should read the rulebook!

Excellent work everybody. I'm slowly starting to progress, have started painting my Hydra and the good news is that my OK order has finally been delivered. Unfortunately I can't afford spray to get these started although I will build some soon. Great news on these is that they have a hole in their stomach where you glue in the gut plate which means it'll be easy for me to leave the gut plate out and put some innards overflowing to fit my Nurgle them which has made me excited to start on them.

EmperorNorton
12-09-2011, 12:41
I wish I had 20ks worth of models!

I think I should kidnap you and let you lose in my hobby room...

grhino
12-09-2011, 15:37
Hey colonel kane trine, your goals in terms of speedpainting are quite inspiring... I just applied a first coat in preparation for painting the bones of all my assembled skellies (50 on foot, 16 on horseback) and SSC, just to make sure in can keep up just a little bit in this Tale. Will prep-paint all the bone once my dissertation is finished (after thursday)... Might make a bid at out-painting you :p (Although it sounds like your army is bigger than mine)

the1stpip
12-09-2011, 16:20
I think you mean: "I've finished about 2000pts before Doi has even started his models for the month" :p.

Doi

I feel your pain. College, kids and work seem to be eating into my time, and the models are still half built.

colonel kane trine
12-09-2011, 16:52
Im lucky atm as I have plenty of spare time by november my bands touring and crap so my time will drop so need to get as much done as possible!
Grhino we can do a joint fluff if you want and keep each other inspired if you want?

grhino
12-09-2011, 17:06
Im lucky atm as I have plenty of spare time by november my bands touring and crap so my time will drop so need to get as much done as possible!
Grhino we can do a joint fluff if you want and keep each other inspired if you want?

I've never written any fluff for an army - rather spend my time boosting the force and getting models ready for battle, based upon reasonably effective army-lists. Usually, the theme of my armies is undermined by that :p.

My HE force used to be based around Chrace (Griffons and WLs), but the new models for other troops and the relative effectiveness of Dragons, swordmasters etc. for HE's has blown away that focus... Same for my TKs that used to be focused around the Apophis (mythical snake from the Egyptian folklore), but now I'm pretty much rolling with the models as they come out, with (ironically) the serpent shaped Tomb Knights being one of the few things my TK army misses... (and tomb guard...-which were supposed to become my elite Apophis guard. They money to buy those models just puts me off since they're quite expensive to use in the game we well- which makes me uses chariots and normal skellies instead)

Jonahmaul
12-09-2011, 17:53
grhino/colonel - have either of you thought of dipping your armies? Seems like an effective way to paint so many skeletons. What's your band Colonel?

azhagmorglum
12-09-2011, 18:27
Excellent work everyone!

I myself am currently working on 10 orc warriors, for about 60 points I think (don't have the new O&G armybook). They are equipped with a shoppa and shield. For the moment, I've only did one layer of skin + wash.

I still need to find around 40 points to paint. Maybe a stone troll. Don't know how much it is worth in points, but I guess at least 40.
I'm also preparing minis to paint in the following months, so far I'm finishing building 20 black orcs (a mix of metal and plastic models), 20 squigs/herders, 3 river trolls, and a giant.
I have many many more models to prepare, at least 60 night goblins, 20 more orcs, 2 catapults, 1 bolt thrower, 2 or 3 wyverns, and stuff I'm surely forgetting.

I'm glad to manage to work on my miniatures. I hope I'll be able to finish this year's ToFP.
Keep it up guys !

colonel kane trine
12-09-2011, 18:37
My bands called uberbyte we have toured with combichrist faderhead nachtmahr xp8 hocico and loads more
and as for dipping thats sort of what I do already except rather than dunking my models in the ink I brush it on
Grhino im sure we can ally up fluffwise! My armys basically the grandson of the crimson king trying to get revenge and recover the crimson kings magic weapon/trinket etc from the thunderhoof ogre tribe! Im going to sit down and write something up properly eventually

DarthSte
12-09-2011, 19:45
I signed up to The Tale last year and didn't get very far at all, well nowhere actually. :p So I thought I should try again this year. I've attached a photo showing most of my (grey) army, since that was taken I have put a lot of colour on the models, but not really finished many. :(

For this Tale, I was be painting, mostly, smaller more "elite" units or heroes and lords. I'm going to start of by painting a couple of units of knights though, as I have absolutely loads of those!

This month I will be painting 5 rank and file Knights Panther. I'll attach another photo once I have actually got some paint on them! :)

Toshiro
12-09-2011, 20:07
Excellent work everyone!

I myself am currently working on 10 orc warriors, for about 60 points I think (don't have the new O&G armybook). They are equipped with a shoppa and shield.

I still need to find around 40 points to paint. Maybe a stone troll. Don't know how much it is worth in points, but I guess at least 40.

The Orc Boyz with shields are now at 7pts each and the stone troll is at 45pts so you've already gained some additional points :D

Good luck with the tale!

@DarthSte: I'm looking forward to seeing your army in colors, not much that beats a colorful empire army :)

Zark the Damned
12-09-2011, 22:11
OK, front rank of my horde of Cursed Company done, now for the other 4 :)

Not sure whether I should use the 'official' points from the 6th ed DOW list, or the fan list... probably the official ones, they're more expensive :D

colonel kane trine
12-09-2011, 23:52
Damn today was the 1st day since we started this that I havent done any painting!
I did glue my casket bonegiant ushabti and a few horsemen to bump up my wip unit to 14.
The constructs will make an appearance very soon though..

Richmt11
13-09-2011, 05:13
I just finished basecoatin my 30 black orcs. It's way too big a batch! But then again I dont like basecoating. Anything pre washes bores me. Once I've washed and start highlighting etc I'm happy :-)

Lord Dan
13-09-2011, 05:17
I'm done with my handgunners for this month, and I'm moving on the my first cannon tomorrow.

Anyone struggling yet?

Mace1982
13-09-2011, 12:55
I'm done with my handgunners for this month, and I'm moving on the my first cannon tomorrow.

Anyone struggling yet?

only me i think at this moment in time, but i think i may pull a cheap shot this month and spank out 2 repeater bolt throwers to hit the points and then i can use the seaguard next month or something

Lord Dan
13-09-2011, 13:02
Sounds good man, do what it takes! Paint a character if you have to.

dwarfhold13
13-09-2011, 13:02

Anyone struggling yet?

not struggling, but if i stop painting in those 30 minute windows i don't think i wouild finish..i'm still working on the skin of the savages, but after that they tend to go pretty quickly..

grhino
13-09-2011, 14:58
grhino/colonel - have either of you thought of dipping your armies? Seems like an effective way to paint so many skeletons. What's your band Colonel?

I've never done that... my force is already halfway done so I'm not going to start now. I do have an effective way of painting the bones though, so not too worried.

For this first month I am going to claim to have painted (amongst anything I may still finish after I hand in my dissertation the day after tomorrow) my Warsphinx, tomb prince and necrotect:

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd324/grhino33/IMG00797-20110907-0852.jpg

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd324/grhino33/IMG00795-20110907-0852.jpg

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd324/grhino33/IMG00791-20110902-1553.jpg

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd324/grhino33/IMG00788-20110902-1552.jpg

Just have to do the basing for these...

Toshiro
13-09-2011, 15:26
That Sphinx is gorgeous :)

Saulot
13-09-2011, 15:33
Anyone struggling yet?

Not really struggling.. I've decided to not let myself get too pressured with the Tale. If I finish less than 200pts for this month (I'm on the Mens category), I'll just make it up the following month, instead of getting discouraged I wasn't able to reach "quota". That's my learning from the last time I joined ToFP.. ;)

For this first month I am going to claim to have painted (amongst anything I may still finish after I hand in my dissertation the day after tomorrow) my Warsphinx, tomb prince and necrotect

Looking good, sir! Glad to see you expanding your army.. Followed your plog here before and enjoyed it.

Back to your painting stations, everyone!

MLP
13-09-2011, 15:42

Anyone struggling yet?

Not struggling as such but a 40 strong men at arms unit gets pretty boring to paint when they're only opts each! But I'm splitting it in two and doing a damsel this month as well for my 200.

Trustey
13-09-2011, 16:29
Not sure where to start. This is going to be a challenge since O&G models are so cheap. Things like chukkas and divers I'd like to spend more time on don't come close to 200pts.

http://is.uoyo.org/i/s/Ll3FurLo

colonel kane trine
13-09-2011, 17:14
Im struggling in the sense that im abit behind on my original plan lol

EmperorNorton
13-09-2011, 17:55
Anyone struggling yet?

I'm kinda struggling to stop painting Ogres.
I might have to upgrade to the Men's League.

Lord Dan
13-09-2011, 18:22
Not really struggling.. I've decided to not let myself get too pressured with the Tale. If I finish less than 200pts for this month (I'm on the Mens category), I'll just make it up the following month, instead of getting discouraged I wasn't able to reach "quota". That's my learning from the last time I joined ToFP.. ;)
That's a good philosophy, I think, and it's certainly a lot better than giving up out of frustration.

Not struggling as such but a 40 strong men at arms unit gets pretty boring to paint when they're only opts each! But I'm splitting it in two and doing a damsel this month as well for my 200.
0 pts a piece?!! That IS quite daunting! :p I'm sure they're looking great, tiring as they might be. Have you started on the damsel yet?

Im struggling in the sense that im abit behind on my original plan lol
You do know that the 2,000 point quota is for the whole tale, not for each month? ;)

I'm kinda struggling to stop painting Ogres.
I might have to upgrade to the Men's League.
That's certainly not a bad thing to struggle with! Alternatively you could just paint a 2,000 point army for the boys league. :D

Avian
13-09-2011, 18:30
@ Trustey: What I'm doing, in order to keep what remains of my sanity, is to paint some rank and file models each month, along with something else. So this month I'm painting some Black Orcs, a Pump Wagon and an Orc Shaman (only the Shaman left to complete - wooo!) and next month it will be the first 10 Savage Orcs, another Pump Wagon and some Goblin character or something.

Some Tales back I did a full unit of 25 Marauders all in one go and it was just a chore.

colonel kane trine
13-09-2011, 19:12
Im aiming to get 3k done in this 1st month then maybe 1k every month after if I do that il have my 8k done in 6 months and then can join the 40k tale 6 months in and challenge myself to catch up with everyone else :p

Goat of Yuggoth
13-09-2011, 19:43
Not really struggling, I have plenty of dirt cheap models for VC, but as a counterweight, some models that I can paint to get that rest of 200pts a month done, f. ex. Wraiths and Blood knights ;)

So yeah, I'm not going to spend a month painting only zombies as that will hamper my enthusiasm, but rather just do something of everything until I reach that 200!

The only struggle is with my commissions, how do I fit them in between painting this lot...

Cheers y'all, going great!
Goat of Yuggoth

Toshiro
13-09-2011, 19:49
Aye, struggling to keep myself focused on keeping my sanity plowing through the remaining 150 goblins :p

Since I started with my characters I've more then enough filled the first, and probably second month quota, but I've gotta keep up pace since... well... the goblins are 3/4pts each and they are what's up next :p

I'm almost done now with my unit filler and I've also started re-basing my spear goblins to 40mm bases to make ranking them up go quicker. This re-basing also got me the last missing spear goblin so i gained an additional 3pts there, wohoo!

My plan for each goblin unit is to have 8x40mm bases with unit fillers/multi-based rnf while keeping 18 models single based, including the command models.

Purplebeard
13-09-2011, 21:20
@colonel kane trine: Struggling in month 1 isn't good :S

I'll be in (nearly) the same boat as you - going for 6000pts of stuff this time. Managed 2000 (+various bits) last time. I have some bits part-done, so that'll at least give me a headstart. 8000 is going to be legendary though - I reckon you might aswell make it 10,000pts and be the mightiest ToFP participant ever! 8000 must be equal first (ever) at least?

@Malorian: Please change one of my WoC to O&G - so Dwarves, WoC, O&G. Thanks.

Malorian
13-09-2011, 21:25
@Malorian: Please change one of my WoC to O&G - so Dwarves, WoC, O&G. Thanks.

Not a problem

Shnerg
13-09-2011, 21:38
Malorian, would I be able to change my Lizardmen for Warriors of Chaos?

They're easier to paint, and I adore the models.

Thanks, :)

Malorian
13-09-2011, 21:47
Done and done

EmperorNorton
13-09-2011, 21:55
Since everybody is changing stuff around, can I change Doi's Dark Elves to Beastmen and his Ogres to Skaven?
You know, just to mess with him.

colonel kane trine
13-09-2011, 21:56
Im not actually struggling :p I painted a few secret things that you wont get to see til the proper update!
I have to finish my wip horsemen unit then il be around 3200 points of finished tomb kings in a month :p
Also 8000 points was the goal I set to beat I never said by how many points....
So 10k+ is a possibility

Shnerg
13-09-2011, 23:08
Month Un: Throgg
Month Deux: 3 Chaos Trolls
Months Trois: 4 Chaos Trolls
Month Quatre: 5 Chosen with Magnetised Arms and Banner
Month Cinq: 5 Chosen with Magnetised Arms
Month Six: Chaos Chariot with Magnetised Icon
Month Sept: 5 Warriors of Chaos with Magnetised Arms and Banner
Month Huit: 5 Warriors of Chaos with Magnetised Arms
Month Neuf: Catch up/Chaos Warshrine with Magnetised Icon. Would it work visually? I want it as a Tzeentch Chariot, and thus am basing it on a HE Chariot. Would it work for Khorne and Nurgle and Slaanesh if I just changed the icon? Or should I magnetise 2 Screamers/a Bloodcrusher/2 Seekers/Beast of Nurgle for it?
Month Dix: Sorceror Lord. I'm going to try and hunt down a miniature in particular for this one.

Archis
13-09-2011, 23:47
So far gotten 20 ungors painted (still need to base them), finishing up my giant and my caster lord. Working on 16 bestigors and another caster. I may finish my boyz beasts early, but I won't complain ;o) Got a 2500 pt GT in January I want to have my army finished for.

Doi
14-09-2011, 00:11
Since everybody is changing stuff around, can I change Doi's Dark Elves to Beastmen and his Ogres to Skaven?
You know, just to mess with him.

:p

You wouldn't happen to have unpainted Beastmen and Skaven armies that you're trying to con me into painting for you? ;)

I'll be able to make a start painting my Beastmen Dark Elves tomorrow.

Doi

gsmc
14-09-2011, 03:29
I'm not struggling, but will commit to a pretty slow start. Certainly slower than those of you who are doing 1000+ points this month.

Amused my copper wire and foam insulation post elicited laughter and intrigue. Usually I just get derision for my hair-brainedness:D

I should get a couple of weapon crews done this month but the HPA will have to wait.

Also - anyone have pointers/links on how to create & paint a large lightning bolt?

Clobbersaurus
14-09-2011, 04:39
I am finally going to finish, for the Empire:
5 knights
10 swordsmen
5 Outriders
Luthor Huss
Maybe a war machine

StormCrow
14-09-2011, 04:42
Well I didn't get far last time but with a new book and new models I figured I'd try again with orcs and goblins. I'll be adding to an already existing army, trying to fill out some ranks, paint some models that I use all the time as well as some new gribblies. Here is a tentative list of what I will be painting over the year:

Black Orc Warboss 160
Arachnarok Spider 290
6 River Trolls 270
Wurrzag on Boar 374
10 Savage Boar boys
w/ full command, AHW 235
Boar chariot 85
20 goblins 60
10 spider riders
w/ musician 140
20 orcs 120
20 night goblins 60
5 boar boys
w/ full command, shields 125
Rock lobber w/ bully 95
2 spear chukkas 70
Doom diver 80

TOTAL: 2164

So far I've 2/3rds finished my Arachnarok which should give me a good headstart, I just hope I can keep up the momentum this time.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g124/toBIASFTY/Picture065.jpg

Good luck to everyone else, I know I will need some!

Toshiro
14-09-2011, 05:53
Very beautiful Arachnarok Stormcrow!

grhino
14-09-2011, 06:35
Great job Stormcrow - looks amazing and very detailed. Love the colour - it will mix very well with the green of the goblins on top of it!

vcassano
14-09-2011, 10:05
Hey Malorian, sorry to be a pain, but can you switch me to Vampire Counts, 1000 points (Boys league :() please?

EDIT: Actually I have a feeling they will be Tomb Kings - got 8 skeletons painted already...

Mr. Shine
14-09-2011, 11:01
Well I'm currently waiting on the weather to change so I can get the rest of my Clanrats unit primed and painting underway... bit glum sitting on my hands while the wind and rain howl and pour outside :(

Edahlo
14-09-2011, 11:29
Man, seeing the ToFP kick off for another year really gets me excited, especially seeing the obscene amount of points some people are going for! I'm a student now, with a job on the side, and I never even got started in the two previous ToFP's. I'm really strapped for time, but I'm so tempted into participating!

I have an army worth of models for both Lizardmen and Vampire Counts (sans a few more boxes of core units for the latter), and a bunch of clanrats and slaves all waiting to be painted, and I keep adding to them whenever something cool comes out. To be honest, I really want to finish my vampire counts, because I have so many ideas for them, but there's still a lot of kitbashing and conversion work to do.

Can you sign me up for Vampire Counts 1000 points so I feel like I have an obligation to convert/paint lingering whenever I have some time to spare?

EffCee
14-09-2011, 11:31
Some (slow) progress on my Ogres for this month, including a converted Gnoblar command complete with Look-out Gnoblet!

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/fannycrowbar/Ogre%20Kingdoms/002-1.jpg?t=1315999792

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/fannycrowbar/Ogre%20Kingdoms/011.jpg?t=1315999894

azhagmorglum
14-09-2011, 11:46
@ Trustey: What I'm doing, in order to keep what remains of my sanity, is to paint some rank and file models each month, along with something else. So this month I'm painting some Black Orcs, a Pump Wagon and an Orc Shaman (only the Shaman left to complete - wooo!) and next month it will be the first 10 Savage Orcs, another Pump Wagon and some Goblin character or something.

Some Tales back I did a full unit of 25 Marauders all in one go and it was just a chore.

That's exactly what I'm doing. Painting some rank and file minis and one or two spécial things along with it.

Jonahmaul
14-09-2011, 11:52
Stormcrow - that is amazing, really hope you keep up with the Tale this time.

Vazalaar
14-09-2011, 12:07
Damn, I've already seen some beautiful WIP's. Very inspiring work! For the moment I have semi finished 2 empire swordsmen, 4 Archers.
Lucky for me, I signed up for the boy's league :).
I don't want to start painting characters yet, because I am still struggling for a nice red and blue combination.

dagreenmoonboyz
14-09-2011, 15:42
@stormcrow - very nice spider ... im actually working on mine atm but i am stuck on what to do with the base, it needs ... something

dagreenmoonboyz
14-09-2011, 16:46
spider so far ....

Toshiro
14-09-2011, 18:19
Very nice colors on that spider dagreenmoonboyz, but i agree, the base needs something, perhaps some bits of a conquered army?

Andy p
14-09-2011, 20:00
I dont know whether this is inspiring or daunting, anyhow great work on those paintjobs people :D.

colonel kane trine
14-09-2011, 20:11
The cavalry legions of king raseptra are uniting ready to kill in the name of their king!

StormCrow
15-09-2011, 00:03
spider so far ....

Woah, great painting on that, very original scheme that just screams "I have poisoned attacks by the bucketload!!"

As for base suggestions, I found that adding small details such as a fence or signpost really help to sell just how massive this beastie is even when it isn't surrounded by orcs and gobbo's. For your spider maybe some aquarium plants or even a tree or two so it looks like it is stalking its way out of the jungle for a snack. An idea I have for one of my future arachnaroks is for it to be climbing over a small house :D

Thanks to everyone for your kind words regarding my spider too, very uplifting!

Doi
15-09-2011, 01:16
Here is how the extension to my Ogres for this TOFP currently looks:

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x4/WaaaghDoi/IMGP0415.jpg

It will be a TOFP of BIG things :p.

Doi

dwarfhold13
15-09-2011, 02:26
spider so far ....

i really like that color scheme!

Doi

don't you mean 'of epic proportions'? i would just go with 'TOFP of HUGENISITY!!!'

i can't wait to see 3 of those beasts side by side..

I think I've decided on my mangler squigs to be heavily modified razorgors.. to look like overgrown and crazy wild hogs with the crazy eye! i like the chained animals more, but i'm just not finding the figure that makes sense for the model.. this way i can make it look like one savage orc held on for 8 seconds, and the other... well, you'll see :)

Jonahmaul
15-09-2011, 07:53

Doi

Jealous! My OK army is just a battalion at the moment and can't afford more stuff for it for a while =( really want to pick up a Stonehorn kit for all the extra bits too so I can convert a Tyrant and Bruiser (although I've got some Giant bits to help me)

JackDaw
15-09-2011, 10:10
Morning Malorian - can you chuck my name into the hat for the mens league please? 2400pts of Dark Elves.

The list will be as follows:

Dreadlord on Cold One
Master BSB on foot
Female Sorceress
Male Sorceress
Assassin

29 Spears with full command
29 Spears with full command
6 Dark Riders
6 Dark Riders
16 Repeater Xbows

9 Cold One Knights
Cold One Chariot
Cold One Chariot

I'll get some WiP pics sorted on the weekend. One question though - I've already finished one unit of spears and one of riders (check the link in my sig) - is that a problem at all? I wasn't planning to cash them in as two months worth of painting or anything.

First 200pts for the tale proper will be an assassin:
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/SAM_0597.jpg

And the new standard bearer for the first unit of spears:
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/Std.jpg

Cheers in advance and hello and good luck to everyone else :)

colonel kane trine
15-09-2011, 10:33
Doi I cant wait to see that lot glued together and painted!

Darnok
15-09-2011, 10:46
Jealous! My OK army is just a battalion at the moment and can't afford more stuff for it for a while =( really want to pick up a Stonehorn kit for all the extra bits too so I can convert a Tyrant and Bruiser (although I've got some Giant bits to help me)

Try to trade for some individual bits. I'm sure there are quite a few people in your area who start/expand their Ogre forces, and nobody needs all the bits. Apart from that, you can do quite a lot with the battalion on its own. :)

Doi
15-09-2011, 13:01
i can't wait to see 3 of those beasts side by side..

The plan is: 1) Hunter on Stonehorn, 2) Stonehorn and 3) Thundertusk.

PM sent! Or, well, I will in a minute :shifty:.

@ JackDaw: That flayed skin is excellent! Care to share your recipe?

Doi

Saulot
15-09-2011, 13:14
Morning Malorian - can you chuck my name into the hat for the mens league please? 2400pts of Dark Elves.

AWESOME!! Welcome aboard, good sir! I'm already excited to see your painted minis every month!!

JackDaw
15-09-2011, 13:20
@ Doi - no worries mate, happy to share :)

- 2 thin coats of Tallarn Flesh over black undercoat (to get a flat base colour - I tend to water the foundations down a bit)
- 2 thin coats of Leviathan Purple wash
- first highlight with Tallarn Flesh, leaving purple shaded areas in recesses
- roughly 66/33 mix of Tallarn Flesh and Astronomicon grey as next highlight
- then add Skull White to that Tallarn/Astronomicon mix, about a 60/40 or 50/50 mix as the next highlight
- final highlight is very watered down Skull White just on the extreme edges and to add texture on the flatter areas
- final stage is a very thin wash of watered down Thraka Green

That should do it, took me about an hour altogether to get it to that level. Let me know how it turns out when you give it a crack.

@ Saulot - heh, cheers fella. I'll endeavour to keep up with this as well as the plog.

Lord Dan
15-09-2011, 13:22
I started work on my cannon. Still have some green stuff work to do on the candles:
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb113/SirLordDan/008-13.jpg

Doi
15-09-2011, 13:35
@ Doi - no worries mate, happy to share :)

- 2 thin coats of Tallarn Flesh over black undercoat (to get a flat base colour - I tend to water the foundations down a bit)
- 2 thin coats of Leviathan Purple wash
- first highlight with Tallarn Flesh, leaving purple shaded areas in recesses
- roughly 66/33 mix of Tallarn Flesh and Astronomicon grey as next highlight
- then add Skull White to that Tallarn/Astronomicon mix, about a 60/40 or 50/50 mix as the next highlight
- final highlight is very watered down Skull White just on the extreme edges and to add texture on the flatter areas
- final stage is a very thin wash of watered down Thraka Green

That should do it, took me about an hour altogether to get it to that level. Let me know how it turns out when you give it a crack.

I think I've settled on that recipe when I get around to painting this guy (http://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/miniatures/enigma-miniatures/massive-darkness-1/gutrott-young-ripper.html) for fun.

Doi

EmperorNorton
15-09-2011, 13:38

Doi

That's ridiculous.
None of that will fit with your Skaven at all.

Okay, okay, I'm jealous.
My order of Ogre stuff hasn't even been shipped yet... :(

Doi
15-09-2011, 13:42
I did have a nagging feeling that they were lacking the rodent look I expected in Skaven models :shifty:.

Doi