PDA

View Full Version : The Tale of Dread Fleet painters. Who's in?

Harry
28-09-2011, 17:59
The title says it all.

I am going to be looking for some inspiration and support to get my Dread Fleet painted up as soon as possible.

Not sure exactly the the rules of this Tale yet ... but It will be along the lines of the other tales I started and involve pitching up every month with some stuff painted ..... I'll sort something out. :D

Meanwhile anyone interested feel free to sign up below.

EDIT: I will start a new thread at the end of October for everyone to post up their first boat

Purplebeard
28-09-2011, 19:20
Dreadfleet looks great. Good luck with it - you may get a Man O' War / Naval revival going.

Goat of Yuggoth
29-09-2011, 10:13
I'm in :D

How about "a ship in a month", would leave time for other projects, and you'd have to concentrate onto the fluff and atmosphere of that one ship until it's finished? Would be a kick-in-the-******** for me at least, I tend to shift between projects quite often, so this would be a change of pace!

But alas, if someone else wants to do theirs in a month in total, it's fine by me..

Cheers,
Goatey

Zark the Damned
29-09-2011, 10:22
Wouldn't this fall under the Tale of Boardgame Painters? ;)

Ship + a few misc bits per month would be best. I may join in if I decide to pick up Dreadfleet.

spikedog
29-09-2011, 10:47
Sure if it is something like a ship a month I can fit that in around my other painting.

EffCee
29-09-2011, 10:49
Aye a ship a month sounds great. If so I'm in!

Harry
29-09-2011, 19:15
Wowsers.

Its like a Tale of Fantasy painters reunion. :D
Great to have you guys with me.
Now I'm all excited about this.
This will be great fun.
Thanks guys.

A ship a month seems to be agreed then.

With only one ship a month there can be no excuses. :D

EffCee
29-09-2011, 19:22
It's like the Blues Brothers putting the band back together :D

Doi
30-09-2011, 00:07
If it is a ship a month then I'm in too :D.

Doi

Confessor_Atol
30-09-2011, 14:30
http://troll.me/images/count/count-me-in.jpg

Daniel36
30-09-2011, 14:40
It would be even cooler if you did a Tale of Captains or somesuch, so not only Dreadfleet painters could pitch in, but also those with Uncharted Waters, Dystopian Wars and whatever other naval games are there.

dwarfhold13
30-09-2011, 15:28
Does someone want to donate $115 so I can be part of this party? A boat a month sounds like a nice break from tofp. Unfortunately without getting that awesome internship this summer, I don't think I'll be able to join :cries: and the guy that I thought was going to be buying the box, just got a job with privateer press and is moving to Seattle.... Let's see, how much are kidneys going for now a days?
Jon

Deff Mekz
30-09-2011, 15:35
I'm in, hopefully my copy will arrive tommorow, this will be useful to make sure I paint the damm things. :D

Fechik
30-09-2011, 16:42
A ship a month... I think I could do that... I'm in.

Mine is not supposed to be here until Monday though :cries:

N810
30-09-2011, 16:44
Might be in... :shifty:
(Ships currently on order)

NixonAsADaemonPrince
30-09-2011, 16:47
A ship a month... I think I could do that...

If you can't, you need some Senna....

Sorry, couldn't resist ;) Good luck to those of you taking part in this painting challenge, Dreadfleet hasn't inspired me enough to purchase it unfortunately.

Harry
30-09-2011, 18:58
Welcome one... welcome all.

It would be even cooler if you did a Tale of Captains or somesuch, so not only Dreadfleet painters could pitch in, but also those with Uncharted Waters, Dystopian Wars and whatever other naval games are there.
No it wouldn't.
Go start your own thread.:D

This is just pure, undiluted, head to head, Dread fleet.:skull:

Deff Mekz
30-09-2011, 19:14
Capn' Pie gives no quarter! Make 'em walk the plank. Yaaaargh! :D

Ahem.... Yeh I would appreciate it if this stayed Dreadfleet only.

Deff

Necrothrall
30-09-2011, 20:42
well if its a ship a month count me in

Aenarion
02-10-2011, 17:40
Already in two tales? Track record sketchy? Down right lazy at the best of times?

Count me in!

It will be a nice change on the painting table and as already stated a ship a month should work. I'm looking forward to seeing some different takes on the ships from other painters, now I just need to wait for it to be delievered.

Harry
02-10-2011, 17:49
At one boat a month we could call this thread the Tale of lazy ass painters.

You have come to the right place. :D

I'll start a new thread at the end of October for folks to paint up their first boat and bits and bobs.

So no panic if it has not arrived yet. Still got a few weekends to paint nothing before you are really under pressure. :D

Goat of Yuggoth
02-10-2011, 19:27
I was just about to ask of that schedule thingie myself, thanks for clearing that out!

Personally, I might do the ghost ship first as it's the most straightforward one to paint, and I'm not too shabby at ethereal bits ;) The only problem will be the sea. If anyone has a better vision for that than the WD guys, I'm all ears!

Cheers,
Goat

spikedog
02-10-2011, 19:37
Nice, looking forward to this one.

So Harry, we are painting the first ship in October for display at the start of November or is it painting the first one in November for a December showing?

I got my box today and am keen to start painting one!

Harry
02-10-2011, 19:40
Crack on.

We are painting one now, straight away ... for the end of this month.(October)

I'll start a new thread for everyone to post on near the end of the month.

If I had my damn box I'd be painting already.

Satan
02-10-2011, 20:00
I'm in! Good idea to start w the ghost ship. Will probably do likewise.

Trustey
02-10-2011, 20:13
I had a look at my LGS' demo as they opened it, it doesn't look too bad. The ships and terrain I'd really want to take my time on everything though. No such thing as a quick rank and file job.

Harry
02-10-2011, 20:15
I'm in! Good idea to start w the ghost ship. Will probably do likewise.

I am keen to have a go at painting the Ghost ship as well.

spikedog
02-10-2011, 20:19
Awesome, so I guess that means this is now the first months WIP thread!

I am looking over the models tonight and will pick one to start work on, they all look awesome, I think the only one I am not so keen on is ironically the Skaven one, but I am sure I can turn it around somehow.

Fechik
02-10-2011, 20:32
Harry, is there going to be any formal rules for painting up the islands, monsters, or auxiliary stuff?

or just paint a ship with the terrain stuff just whenever

Or does it even matter? :)

Goat of Yuggoth
02-10-2011, 20:52

My idea exactly. As long as it get's painted, who cares? Let's all just surprise each other.

Oh yeah. I have something for you, just bashed this together after first watching at that Blanche map on the back of this month's WD for an hour and then having delirious dreams :shifty:

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss296/GoatofYuggoth/hhh001.jpg
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss296/GoatofYuggoth/hhh002.jpg

Painting will commence tomorrow as the GS isn't dry yet :(

Edit: Nice rating, griefers!

Cheers,
Goatey

AdolfHammond
02-10-2011, 21:06
I could do this...

Picked up my Dreadfleets, bust my own gaming copy open and desprued/cleaned up/subassembled all the bitz.

I'm planning on airbrushing and probably quickshading my "gaming" set for quickness, probably a bit more than a ship a month mind, but I'll post some pictures anyways.

Heres the components as they are after an afternoon of snipping, shaving and gluing. Note that the components are seperated in a manner that allows me to airbrush basecoat them all particular colours - which is why some of the ships (the elf one for instance) are still in many parts - as thier decks need to be sprayed seperately from the hull and the hull parts cant be glued together yet without thedeck in place ;)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38160572/Dreadfleet%20Progress/Dreadfleet001%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Goat of Yuggoth
02-10-2011, 21:10
Whoa, those islands are twice as big as I thought!

**The more you know** drool...

-Goat

spikedog
02-10-2011, 21:16
Wow Goat, that undead mermaid is awesome! I may just have to steal that idea for something :P

Also looking good adolf, now slap on some paint!

I picked my ship for this month, just clipped it off the sprues and dry fit it together. Tomorrow I will clean and glue it and maybe even prime it :)

Goat of Yuggoth
02-10-2011, 21:18
Wow Goat, that undead mermaid is awesome! I may just have to steal that idea for something :P

Thanks! Feel free to do so, it's fairly simple and fun!

Solun Decius
02-10-2011, 21:21
Picked up a copy today and meant to paint it up in the second half of the Tale of Board Game Painters after I finish CitOW. Now this seems tempting, just pure Dreadfleet. Exactly the same schedule for everyone. Lets give it a go!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

AdolfHammond
02-10-2011, 21:22
I'd have loved to have made a start today - but wayland didnt send out my new bottle of primer in time to make the weekend post, so it'll be midweek now before they actually see some colour.

Still - I feel better for having them all ready to go when it arrives!

Fechik
02-10-2011, 21:25
@ AdolfHammond - WOW! a paint/work station that's so neat and clean! I wouldn't know how to act if mine was that orderly! :)

AdolfHammond
02-10-2011, 21:38
Lol - and my OCD is such that I've already gone back and re-ordered everything since taking that picture ;)

I cant stand clutter when I'm building/painting - drives me mental :P

I've not decided if I will paint each ship to completion or do the airbrush and basecoating on everything at once...

I'll do all the islands and terrain pieces as a batch at the end I think - they can wait.

someone2040
03-10-2011, 06:35
Harry, is there going to be any formal rules for painting up the islands, monsters, or auxiliary stuff?

or just paint a ship with the terrain stuff just whenever

I think the Auxiliaries should be painted at the same time as the parent ship :). Except the Shadewraith which don't have one.

I think I will jump in on this one. Space Hulk was left for years until I started painting it now for the Tale of Board Game Painters. So I think it'll be good to get Dreadfleet done and out of the way :).

Deff Mekz
03-10-2011, 07:03
I think I'll start with the dwarf ship as I love painting metalics, oh and I agree with someone2040, the ship's auxiliary should be done at the same time.

Deff

Darnok
03-10-2011, 07:16
While I'm all for it, and thought about joining this as well... this:

Doi
03-10-2011, 08:50
At one boat a month we could call this thread the Tale of lazy ass painters.

Well they are quite big ships :shifty:.

Doi

Goat of Yuggoth
03-10-2011, 09:18
Well they are quite big ships :shifty:.
i

Indeed. And so detailed as well :D

Goatey

Solun Decius
03-10-2011, 09:42
Come to think of it this should be covered in the Tale of Tablecloth Game Painters. Seeing as Dreadfleet is the only one I know of, I guess this is it!

Ps. I'm pretty sure I'll go for the Black Kraken as my first month's ship.

Zark the Damned
03-10-2011, 11:29
OK, picked up my copy (and one for my housemate) so I should be ready to join in with this!

Mr Feral
03-10-2011, 11:33
I'm in.

I got my copy this morning, but unfortunately one of the sprues has been replaced by a duplicate of another. I'm waiting to hear back from Customer Services before I proceed any further.

Shame that, can't wait to get started though! :)

Red Skullz
03-10-2011, 12:31
I`m in, as this is probably the only thing I will manage to paint between studies and work, oh and not to mention the missus and kids ;)

R

Daniel36
03-10-2011, 14:41
I`m in, as this is probably the only thing I will manage to paint between studies and work, oh and not to mention the missus and kids ;)

R

You paint your wife and kids? What colours?

Abraham Danglebreech
03-10-2011, 16:35
I caved in and ordered my copy today. I'm definitely in for a ship-a-month.

Red Skullz
03-10-2011, 19:58
@Daniel36: :p

Sturen
03-10-2011, 20:43
Oh, why not!

But I'm splitting it, so I'll only be doing five ships!

ecurtz
03-10-2011, 21:19
I just managed to put up the first months work of my first tale 3 days late, but things can only get better, right? I'm in. Who knows when my copy will arrive though...

Timofeo
04-10-2011, 05:22
This will be my first go at a tale of gamers.

But I be in Yar

Ego Ninja
04-10-2011, 05:46
Go on then, sign me up as well :p

AdolfHammond
04-10-2011, 13:27
Hurrah - Wayland shipped out my new bottles of Primer today, so I can get started painting tommorrow night :P I'll post some pictures of my progress.

Might spend some time tonight reading the rules then! Nice rulebook btw - kind of semi-hardcover (well, the cover cardboard is much more rigid than a regular GW softcover book).

Fechik
04-10-2011, 14:55
Mine arrived last night.. Looked through the sprues and glanced through the book. So far I like the quality of everything. The book is higher quality than I thought it would be. And as everyone else has stated, the ships and terrain are awesome.

I should be able to start putting my first one together this evening.

DarthSte
04-10-2011, 15:17

I know people have quoted this already, but I feel it needs saying again. :)

jullevi
04-10-2011, 18:09
I know people have quoted this already, but I feel it needs saying again. :)

Dreadfleet deserves its own thread because there are so many people doing it right now. If people are looking for Dreadfleet inspiration, this project log will be the ultimate source for it. Tale of Board Game Painters would be overshadowed by Dreadfleet entries if they were to be merged.

I'm also interested in joining the tale. It's been at least half a year since the last time I touched the paintbrush. This should motivate me to get back in business once again. Now, if only I would receive my pre-ordered copy...

EffCee
04-10-2011, 18:13
Just shuffles the ship cards to see what my first painted ship will be. Grimnir's Thunder it is then :D

Goat of Yuggoth
04-10-2011, 19:03
Nice idea Fanny, might use that as well for the remaining ships as they're equally superb models. Really tempted about painting the Kraken and Swordfysh, but I think I'll have them as rewards at the middle and the end...

Darn mail being too slow. Well, guess I'll just have to bite my nails and paint something else in the meantime...

Cheers,
Shipmate Goatee

Fechik
05-10-2011, 03:43
Just shuffles the ship cards to see what my first painted ship will be...:D

Copied and it's..... The Curse of Zamdri

::thunderous applause::

dwarfhold13
06-10-2011, 01:01
ok.... so I made a impulse buy today.. and needless to say, I'M IN!!!
Dwarfs ship and other trinkets are my month 1

Tekore
06-10-2011, 01:14
I'm in. I'll be looking to finish in hopefully two to three months, hopefully, but that could easily become a year...it certainly has with projects in the past!

Ben

tongalad
06-10-2011, 01:32
Painting Shadewraith & Skabrus at the moment......very nice details on them; most of which I intend to ignore!

AdolfHammond
06-10-2011, 09:28
Thats all my priming done (well, except the islands).

Primed all the relevent ship subcomponents and ancillary bitz black, white or light grey dependant on thier final color. I'll probably pick a ship tonight and airbrush on the color basecoats... not sure which one though as they're all awesome!

Headsup - Vallejo Grey primer is awesome - the speed of coverage is damn close to black, and its very light - unless I'm painting a surface pure white I'll be using it for all light undercoats in future as its so much easier to apply than white.

Zark the Damned
06-10-2011, 10:24
Had a play of the game last night, was good fun. Bloody Reaver scuttled the HeldenHammer in a brutal boarding action, but not before being crippled itself. Will be painting it first as a reward.

McMordain
06-10-2011, 10:53
Ahoy!

Count me in as well!

Just shuffles the ship cards to see what my first painted ship will be. Grimnir's Thunder it is then :D

I couldn't decide what to paint first, so I used a d10. It never occurred to me, that I could use the cards... Good idea:yes: I will use it next time.

I rolled a 7, so I will paint the Curse of Zandri. I also assigned numbers for the islands and the other gaming pieces. Have to paint the Volcano Island beside the ship.

Mr Feral
06-10-2011, 11:28
Three days ago I sent an email to GW about my missing sprue and they still haven't replied.

Rather annoying that, I really want to get started on the set! :mad:

dwarfhold13
06-10-2011, 14:16
Three days ago I sent an email to GW about my missing sprue and they still haven't replied.

Rather annoying that, I really want to get started on the set! :mad:

man.. I didn't even check to see if I got everything in the box.. I'm sure I did, but I left everything else on the sprues until I'm ready to paint them.. aside from putting all the islands together of course.
I put everything into a 10 month list, and it seems like the set was made for a 10 month painting tale!
each month has a big boat, little boat or cog, island or monster, then a wreck or treasure totem.. a couple months in there have the ships wheels and wind gauge, but it's not much

so my first month will be the dwarf boat, derigible, dwarf boat wreck (why not), and the sea giant

Deff Mekz
06-10-2011, 14:25
Looks like I'm out of greenstuff, I could swear i had some :shifty:, so I won't be doing Grimnir's Thunder afterall. :( The Skabarus it is then, yarrgh! :D

Deff

spikedog
06-10-2011, 19:01
This WiP thread does not have nearly enough WiP pictures:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/spikedog_woof/Warhammer/Dreadfleet/DSC03471.jpg

Goat of Yuggoth
06-10-2011, 20:42
spikedog: That's looking really good. And true, sadly enough. Mine hasn't arrived yet, so I'm unable to deliver :(

But, if you so desire, let there be a PiP of that Frutti di Mare Skeleton!

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss296/GoatofYuggoth/hshsh080.jpg

That's one picture ;) Lets flood this ship of a thread with more, people!
-Goat

Harry
06-10-2011, 20:52
Great stuff Goat.

I put everything into a 10 month list, and it seems like the set was made for a 10 month painting tale!
each month has a big boat, little boat or cog, island or monster, then a wreck or treasure totem..
This sounds like a good way of going about it. :D

This WiP thread does not have nearly enough WiP pictures:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/spikedog_woof/Warhammer/Dreadfleet/DSC03471.jpg
Thanks spikedog ... always an inspiration.

AdolfHammond
06-10-2011, 22:05
Making a bit of progress myself - started airbrushing the block colors on some of the non black undercoated ships.

I dry fitted the elf ship components together, its looking good so far, should come together nicely with some touchup, detailing and quickshading - as there isnt much detailing on the sails it should be one of the quickest to finish putting me out of the shame-zone in this months TODFP nice and early!

The Heldenhammer had a light grey undercoat and the sails had white - its hard to see in the picture but white (taking in progress shots on my iphone - I'll take proper shots with my SLR when I'm done) makes the sails very vivid blood red, while the grey makes the red more like lighter macharite which I like. Its always fun to discover the difference these things make!

I've also done the basecoat on all the sea bases with the airbrush to get it out of the way early - I'll likely do a final hand drybrush of white on the crests of the waves as well, then they just need to the little bits of detail on each base picked out and they'll all be ready for quickshadeing too!

Painting this way (airbrushing blocks, detailing then shading) is a bit different to the (extremely slow and inneficcient) way I used to paint - it seems quite disjointed as you go, but then it suddenly jumps forward and tonnes of things get finished at once which I love :P

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38160572/Dreadfleet%20Progress/Dreadfleet002%20%28Medium%29.JPG

TheRupert
07-10-2011, 05:29
This sounds like a fantastic idea.

I'm in.

Gir
07-10-2011, 05:48
I'm in, though due to my girlfriends obsession with getting it finished, I'm making some decent progress.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/312251_10150469839609918_531124917_11157770_790847 207_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/307645_10150469839444918_531124917_11157768_678993 971_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/313309_10150469839249918_531124917_11157767_929505 166_n.jpg

Devilish
07-10-2011, 06:50
I'm in!

Got mine yesterday. Haven't had the time to sudie it much.

strewart
07-10-2011, 06:54
I'll be definitely keeping an eye on this thread for inspiration, and hopefully joining in at some point. Mine got shipped from the UK on tuesday, so should hopefully be here in the next week or two...

All WiP looking good so far. The airbrush seems like a great tool for this kit! Pity I don't have one or airbrush skills.

marv335
07-10-2011, 10:16
I started mine today.
Here's the first effort.
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/gstrowes/Dreadfleet/CIMG0732.jpg

Deff Mekz
07-10-2011, 14:52
Some great looking models so far guys good job(s)! Here's some WIP pics of my take on The "Skabarus".

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu1/BrotherTarus/dreadfleet006.jpg

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu1/BrotherTarus/dreadfleet007.jpg

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu1/BrotherTarus/dreadfleet008.jpg

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu1/BrotherTarus/dreadfleet009.jpg

Deff

Jericho
07-10-2011, 16:01
Despite the fact that I have been playing around with my Space Hulk sets (and painting Termis for my Raven Guard) lately, I am definitely psyched by Dreadfleet. Been reading over the rules a bit before bed the last week or so, at least when I've had the energy (2 weeks of OT at work has been draining).

I'm not sure what I'd want to paint first, so the shuffle the deck trick might be in order. I'll probably be secretly hoping for the Black Kraken ;)

Side note: Anybody else disappointed by the dice that came in the set? I was really hoping they'd be up to the same standards as the Space Hulk ones (ie. larger and with some "textured look" to them).

Smiling Banshee
07-10-2011, 16:25
Yea im up for this. Havn't joined a tale of painters before. Looking forward to contributing to the thread when it arrives.

Im a bit undecided whether to copy GW's colour schems or make up my own, got a few ideas but i do like the GW schemes. Hmmmm decisions decisions.

marv335
07-10-2011, 16:34
Another one, this time the Black Kraken.
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/gstrowes/Dreadfleet/CIMG0736.jpg

Dourin
08-10-2011, 09:54
This looks mighty interesting and motivational. Sign me up. :)

f2k
08-10-2011, 11:26
I'm waiting for Maelstrom to send my box. But once it's here I'm in...

Red Skullz
08-10-2011, 12:55
Great motivation this! My set is arriving the 12th of october. I pre-ordered it but customs takes it`s time..I can hardly wait to get started!

R

Garion
08-10-2011, 15:48
I'm going to join in with this but I still havent got mine yet :'(
I really hope it gets here sooon, mind you I cant open it till the 21st the wife wont let me coz its a birthday present lol

Satan
08-10-2011, 18:12
Right, painted about 80% of the ghost ship so far and I've got to say the assembly recommendations in WD are rubbish. If you try to assemble the pieced after using primer and paint they won't fit. Neither the two halves nor the base stuck together properly even after the removal of the "plugs". It's just too tight a fit.

Thankfully the new liquid greenstuff blends together very well with the paintjob on the ship. The next one I do I intend to assemble fully before priming rather than risk damage to the paint job.

Goat of Yuggoth
08-10-2011, 18:40
Satan, I just faced the same kind of problem. But I drilled all the holes again and now it obeys me :D The Curse of Zandri is a real tight fit though...

Pictures soonish,
Goatee

Orangecoke
09-10-2011, 05:30
I'm in for sure - I hope to paint up the set relatively quickly (relatively being a couple-few weeks). I have most of the scenery done and two ships, with the third (Swordfysh) coming along pretty quickly. # 4 will be the Bloody Reaver and will take longer due to the size and details :)

http://www.minijunkie.com/files/images/curseofzandri.jpg

http://www.minijunkie.com/files/images/heldenhammer3.jpg

Fawful
09-10-2011, 08:58
I'm in, hopefully there won't be to much rain today so I can get all the models undercoated. Just finished building all of them yesterday.

Harry
09-10-2011, 09:00
I'm in for sure - I hope to paint up the set relatively quickly (relatively being a couple-few weeks). I have most of the scenery done and two ships, with the third (Swordfysh) coming along pretty quickly. # 4 will be the Bloody Reaver and will take longer due to the size and details :)

http://www.minijunkie.com/files/images/curseofzandri.jpg

http://www.minijunkie.com/files/images/heldenhammer3.jpg

Magnificent.

How'd you paint the sea?

Gir
09-10-2011, 09:57
My progress has been drastically slowed by just how much fun the game is to play.

stahly
09-10-2011, 10:41
Really nice Orangecoke!

Red Skullz
09-10-2011, 10:43
I`ve also heard that the game in itself is great fun to play :)

I`m growing restless waiting for my box to arrive..

R

RTB01
09-10-2011, 12:05
Orangecoke they look fantastic - have you followed the guide from WD or have you just got on with it yourself?

Looking forward to seeing all your ships finished. I'm hoping to start during half-term, 2 weeks to go! at least no more ofsted!

Lowmans
09-10-2011, 13:01
Just picked my set up today! :)

Count me in for one ship a month!

Just wow Orangecoke, they look great!

Orangecoke
09-10-2011, 15:26
Thanks guys! Yep I'm pretty much following the WD guide (especially for the water).

Satan
09-10-2011, 18:02
It's dark outside now so I can't take any proper shots, but in the meantime here's two of my ghost ship with the instagram treatment.

Painting was pretty straightforward, although I originally had the idea of painting the ship as a hulk and just the bearers underneath is as ghosts I decided against it as this just seemed more convenient and speedy... Pretty much followed the WD guide.

Would've been fun to have something on the sails, but this seemed more fitting with the description in the rulebook. Also decided against painting the gold skulls as I couldn't understand why they wouldn't have been "ghostified" so to speak.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e235/Allt_under/1b9ceb96426d4186841f235b80791849_7.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e235/Allt_under/529b23f99fcb4138abd94dc7b541cf3d_7.jpg

f2k
09-10-2011, 18:08
Umm, guys...

Has this tale even started or what? I thought this was just a sign-up thread but I'm seeing quite a bit of painting being done. Nice paintjobs for sure but at this rate some of you will be done before the last of us get our box.

So, how are we going to stretch this over six, let alone twelve months?

Harry
09-10-2011, 18:32
Umm, guys...

Has this tale even started or what? I thought this was just a sign-up thread but I'm seeing quite a bit of painting being done. Nice paintjobs for sure but at this rate some of you will be done before the last of us get our box.

So, how are we going to stretch this over six, let alone twelve months?
Yes, its all a bit slack. :D

The way I see it working

Each month I will put up a new thread for people to post their progress.

Some of us will just post one boat ....

others will post several.

Some folks will finish in 10 months some will finish in two months.

... and good luck to them.

It's all good. They get there stuff painted we get boat loads of inspiration.

Hell just seeing the painted stuff on this thread has me all pumped for painting.

In the end there are no points, no prizes it is just everyone in competition with themselves and there motivation to paint.

For my part I know I will get this set painted faster with this thread than without it.

Ben
09-10-2011, 19:16
Also some of us are terribly slow painters with no willpower.

I'm in, and unusually I've taken some pictures I will post later. This month I'll be doing the Black Kraken and trying to get the monsters done as well, though I predict an outbreak of Arkham City to disrupt this towards the end of the month.

Orangecoke
09-10-2011, 21:42
Finished up the Swordfysh!

EDIT - although in the last day or two, I've read some really negative reviews of the actual game play - it's kinda taking the wind out of my sails, so to speak :(

http://minijunkie.jigsy.com/files/images/swordfysh1.jpg

dwarfhold13
10-10-2011, 04:22
don't let the reviews spook you! I've only played one game so far, but I like it. To me, it's a lot more tactical than space hulk is... Also, easier to just setup and play a game without setting up some kinda scenario. It would be fun to buy two sets and play some 4 player games.. or even scratch build more boats and just use existing cards, just rename them.
Spectacular painting though! Do you know if they put appropriate how-to's on their website or is it just in the WD?

Orangecoke
10-10-2011, 04:25
I don't think they are on the website. Thanks for the encouragement!

Jedi152
10-10-2011, 13:11
Orangecoke: Can you do a tutorial for your water bases please, they look gorgeous. :)

I spent a few hours over the weekend cleaning and assembling, there's just a few ships i want to paint before i build (Grimnir's Thunder and Shadewraith), and i want to get all my bases painted at the same time for consistancy.

Grontik
10-10-2011, 14:14
I'm following the WD painting guides to the letter so it is encouraging to see a beautiful example of their implementation. Will post the steps for the bases later when I get home if I don't see anyone else doing it.

Goat of Yuggoth
10-10-2011, 17:19
So far so good, here's a couple WIPs for the month, the ruler and perhaps another island could get paint on them along with these.

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss296/GoatofYuggoth/srydtju001-1.jpg
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss296/GoatofYuggoth/srydtju003.jpg

I'll probably paint all the sea bits at the same time, so nothing but a basecoat on those bits until I get most of the islands done, and the cogs/auxs...

Cheers,
Goat

Orangecoke
10-10-2011, 17:53
Orangecoke: Can you do a tutorial for your water bases please, they look gorgeous. :)

I spent a few hours over the weekend cleaning and assembling, there's just a few ships i want to paint before i build (Grimnir's Thunder and Shadewraith), and i want to get all my bases painted at the same time for consistancy.

Hi! Basically I just followed the GW article, but I substituted P3 Meridious blue instead of Enchanted blue, because I didnt have any EB on hand :)

MaliGn
10-10-2011, 18:09
Useful assembly/undercoating tip in today's GW blog
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=18500044a

masking the joins with blu-tac to avoid any issues with the tight fit of the parts.

dwarfhold13
10-10-2011, 20:50
on the page shot on blog:
Water:
1. Regal blue
2. Heavy drybrush with enchanted blue
3. Drybrush with ice blue concentrating on crests
4. Heavy wash of 1:1 mix badab black and thrakka green, then paint watered down white on crest peaks

iamjack42
11-10-2011, 02:31
So far so good, here's a couple WIPs for the month, the ruler and perhaps another island could get paint on them along with these.

I'll probably paint all the sea bits at the same time, so nothing but a basecoat on those bits until I get most of the islands done, and the cogs/auxs...

Cheers,
Goat

Goat,

How'd you do the skeleton on the turn radius thingamabob?

Thanks!

strewart
11-10-2011, 06:57
Mine showed up today! Is anyone able to take a photo of the turtle wreck thing? There is a little building piece that goes on it and I'm not sure which angle, it has a side overhanging a little and I can't get it to fit without it looking weird.

I'm following the WD guide for what to assemble or leave before painting, so for that reason I will probably try to tackle the ones that need to be painted before assembly first and leave the assembled ones for later. I count keeping the sails off as 'assembled' and not needing first attention though.

Goat of Yuggoth
11-10-2011, 12:15
@stewart: Notice the little skull on the building? It's place is facing the same direction as the skeletal fin of the turtle. There's also a small, round gap for the base of the skull.

@iamjack42: It's quite simple actually:

1. Khemri Brown basecoat.
2. Dheneb Stone highlights.
3. Thraka Green/ a little Chaos Black wash. Make it really diluted.
4. Dheneb Stone highlights.
5. Vallejo Bonewhite/Ghostly Grey highlights. Dheneb Stone/Skull White works equally well.

And that's it.
Goat

Darwin_green
12-10-2011, 09:47
here's my WIP of the Shadewaith I'm doing for my LGS.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/Darwin_Green/ShadewaithWIP_L.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/Darwin_Green/ShadewraithWIP_R.jpg

here's a shot showing the detail of the wake and ghosts.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/Darwin_Green/ShadewaithWIP_W.jpg

strewart
12-10-2011, 11:38
@stewart: Notice the little skull on the building? It's place is facing the same direction as the skeletal fin of the turtle. There's also a small, round gap for the base of the skull.

Thanks for that! Got it.

I have started with the Skabrus. I want to paint the models that need painting before assembly, so I can at least have all ships assembled relatively quickly. I will probably do the Dwarf one next, followed by the ghost ship.

I'm not great with fine details, so they're not going to look as good as the models already posted in the thread but oh well.

Darwin_green
12-10-2011, 14:43
well, I just finished the Shadewaith.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/Darwin_Green/Shadewaith_L.jpg

I felt going with how GW painted seemed a little boring so I decided to paint it like the wreck that it is, with some ghostly affects added to it.

Fechik
12-10-2011, 15:22
Not much of a Wip Pic but one none the less.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/Fechik/_DSC1891.jpg

Deff Mekz
12-10-2011, 15:25
I' m actually speeding through these things like there's no tommorow, I've magnaged to finsh all of the Dreadfleet bar the Bloody Reaver! I hope to have pics up soon.

Deff

Vampiric16
12-10-2011, 16:25
Caved in and got the game, will be painting at least one ship a month, if not more.

EdwardP
12-10-2011, 17:05
Wow, some great looking work(Especially OrangeCoke). Somewhat discouraging as I won't be able to paint nearly to that standard. :cries:

As it has been a long time since I've picked up a brush, I've decided to start on the terrain first.

Any tips on how to paint the shipwrecked pieces. I can't quite make those out very well.

Thanks!
-Ed

Matrim_Cauthon
12-10-2011, 18:28
Ah well, I'm in. This thread has forced me to place an order! One boat a month or more it is. Good luck everyone!

nuklearangel
12-10-2011, 23:21
Just got my copy today. I'll be joining you all! Question, I was wondering if it would be best to undercoat everything on the sprue?

Goat of Yuggoth
13-10-2011, 03:42
@nuklearangel: Yep not a problem, but cover all the joins with blutack! They're tight enough as they are, snap-fit models after all.

Cheers,
Goat

Red Skullz
13-10-2011, 05:06
Finally received my box, assembling as we speak :D

R

someone2040
13-10-2011, 05:25
I'm trying to paint two ships per month. Basically finished the water on the Black Kraken, Grimnir's Thunder, the Dirigible and the Auxillary for the Kraken.
Decided to do them both since there's a lot of metal on the both of them.

Vampiric16
13-10-2011, 18:06
Grimnir's Thunder painted, will post pics after dropping bro to ATC. Next on the list, the Kraken...

Purplebeard
13-10-2011, 19:26
This a a brilliant thread and you're all making me very jealous.

@orangecoke: Fantastic paintjobs on those ships. Your water effects make me jealous.

@Marv335: Great choice of ship to do first - the Dwarven one.

I want a 28mm scale one if anybody fancies making one for me. I have no money, all I can offer you is my eternal gratitude. In fact, we could make a 28mm scale version, give it wheels, and use it in games of Fantasy >:)

Red Skullz
13-10-2011, 20:16
I`m well on my way painting the terrain first, the amount of details is staggering! But that also makes it fun and varied to paint :)

As for 28mm versions, I plan on making the captains for the Dreadfleet, my experience from Blood Bowl tells that will be gooood mojo ;)

Pics from me sometime this weekend.

R

strewart
14-10-2011, 13:35
I have completed the Skabrus. It was quite enjoyable to paint actually! Bits of it could be better and could use a bit more work, but overall I'm happy with how it came out.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc80/strewart/Dreadfleet/skabrus1.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc80/strewart/Dreadfleet/skabrus2.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc80/strewart/Dreadfleet/skabrus3.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc80/strewart/Dreadfleet/skabrus4.jpg

Next on my list: The Dwarf bathtub.

Ben
15-10-2011, 11:14
here's my WIP of the Shadewaith I'm doing for my LGS.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/Darwin_Green/ShadewaithWIP_L.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/Darwin_Green/ShadewraithWIP_R.jpg

here's a shot showing the detail of the wake and ghosts.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/Darwin_Green/ShadewaithWIP_W.jpg

Sorry to come back to something from the last page, but how did you do this? I'm far more interested in doing the Shadewraith as a haunted hulk than a ghost ship, and it's next up once I finish the Black Kraken.

Mr Feral
15-10-2011, 19:11
I have a WIP to show, the interior part of Grimnir's Thunder;

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-smJdUw0hlLs/TpgjC24k6fI/AAAAAAAAAYI/uyem3f23hn0/s1600/WIP+Grimnirs+Thunder.jpg

Opinions on the NMM gold?

EffCee
16-10-2011, 03:20
Nearly finished Grimnir's Thunder. Here are some finished bits and pieces to accompany it.

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/fannycrowbar/Dreadfleet/007.jpg?t=1318734854

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/fannycrowbar/Dreadfleet/006.jpg?t=1318734891

I've saved the most thrilling till last!

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/fannycrowbar/Dreadfleet/005.jpg?t=1318734922

Red Skullz
16-10-2011, 09:48
Fantastic painting efforts guys :D

I`m preparing my first entry for the tale, will be the terrain as I`m saving the ships for last :)

R

EffCee
17-10-2011, 07:12
@orangecoke - Stunning painting, really inspirational.
@strewart - Your Skabrus is beautifully sickening. Great stuff :yes:

Here is my first finished ship. Grimnir's Thunder.

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/fannycrowbar/Dreadfleet/002.jpg?t=1318834676

Next ship chosen by shuffling the cards is The Flaming Scimitar.

easternheretic
17-10-2011, 07:56
Slipping in one boat or more a month sounds doable along with the other stuff on the painting table.

Count me in for the tales.

I'll be painting the terrain, miscellaneous items and the grand alliance fleet.

I split the set with a friend and he wanted to paint the dread fleet.

Time to get cracking then.

Cheers!

Darwin_green
17-10-2011, 09:09
Sorry to come back to something from the last page, but how did you do this? I'm far more interested in doing the Shadewraith as a haunted hulk than a ghost ship, and it's next up once I finish the Black Kraken.

well, here's the finished version.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/Darwin_Green/Shadewaith_L.jpg

Keep in mind I'm guessing what the GW versions of the paints I'm using are so bare with me. I started with black primer with a coat of graveyard earth for most of the ship then drybrushed gray mixed with graveyard earth up to a very light drybrush of gray.

the masts and the paneling was then done over with a coat of sepia ink(I think, mine was called russet).

For the ghosts, I drybrushed with white first, then snot green then a coat of thinned down scorpion green followed by green ink.

McMordain
17-10-2011, 19:13
Ahoy!

Here is some pic of my progress.

Curse of Zandri
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z186/McMordain/Miniatures/Dreadfleet/WIP%20and%20PIP/CurseofZhandri.jpg

Volcano Island
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z186/McMordain/Miniatures/Dreadfleet/WIP%20and%20PIP/Vulcansziget.jpg

Papa Dan
18-10-2011, 06:06
Dont know if I'll follow the whole tale, but here is what I have done so far...

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/df2-1.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/DF1-1.jpg

strewart
18-10-2011, 06:26
Very striking looking waves! Nice work.

I'm starting to think the 3 I am starting with are the 3 easier ones without sails or much colour; Skabrus, Dwarf ship and ghost ship. Some of the main ships look a bit daunting.

N810
20-10-2011, 04:49
Well Here's my first Island, Hop to paint the rest in similar colors.
I think I managed to match the water fairly well.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l198/nbundick/Terrain/100_1262.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l198/nbundick/Terrain/100_1260.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l198/nbundick/Terrain/100_1259.jpg

Tekore
21-10-2011, 00:03
Here's my first ship, Grimnir's Thunder. I wanted to start off with one of the less complicated ships.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc42/Tekore/Dreadfleet/IMG_0737.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc42/Tekore/Dreadfleet/IMG_0736.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc42/Tekore/Dreadfleet/IMG_0735.jpg

Zark the Damned
24-10-2011, 16:45
Am liking what I'm seeing so far. Hope to get some stuff painted this week, have undercoated the scenery, game aids plus the Reaver and Heldenhammer.

Once more have I cheated by using gold spray on the game aids, worked out pretty well. Should just need washes and detailing :)

someone2040
25-10-2011, 05:44
Looks like it will be a last minute blitz to get my models done for this month.
Started off with the best of intentions, thinking I'd get right into it. Just hasn't happened that way unfortunately! I've finished the water on my Dirigible and Black Kraken auxillary but that's it!
Auxillary ships count as painting a ship right... >.>
Well, we'll see what I can pull off. Kraken shouldn't be hard I think, it's mostly black and metal after all.

Harry
25-10-2011, 05:57
Looks like it will be a last minute blitz to get my models done for this month.
Started off with the best of intentions, thinking I'd get right into it. Just hasn't happened that way unfortunately! I've finished the water on my Dirigible and Black Kraken auxillary but that's it!
Auxillary ships count as painting a ship right... >.>
Well, we'll see what I can pull off. Kraken shouldn't be hard I think, it's mostly black and metal after all.
I am in the same boat. :D

Still one week left and with all the great inspiration here i must be able to get one boat done .... auxillary ships definitely count :shifty:

Doi
25-10-2011, 06:07
Well I got about half of the Skabrus painted today.

I may have gotten distracted by assembling a Stonehorn :shifty:.

Doi

strewart
25-10-2011, 07:35
Is anyone doing or planning to do a paint scheme radically different to what GW has done? I've seen a few small variations, but nothing too different. I am considering painting the High Elf ship in my WH army colours (red and gold Spartan themed) but not sure if I should, or just stick to something similar to what the WD suggests.

Satan
25-10-2011, 11:22
Is anyone doing or planning to do a paint scheme radically different to what GW has done? I've seen a few small variations, but nothing too different. I am considering painting the High Elf ship in my WH army colours (red and gold Spartan themed) but not sure if I should, or just stick to something similar to what the WD suggests.

I'm going to try and stick to the Blanche art, but will probably use more muted an brownish colours than GW. Won't be painting the Wrath that Red for example.

strewart
26-10-2011, 08:57
I have now completed the Shadewraith which makes two ships for october, plus Grimnar's Thunder is partially done. For now, I am still leaving the Dwarf ship to the side though, I have decided to tackle the Heldenhammer.

The ships really have trouble going together when they have a bit of paint in the peg and hole... It is almost tempting to just clip the pegs off since I am sure the ships would hold together very well and easily with just a bit of superglue and no peg. So far they are easily holding with pegs and no glue.

dwarfhold13
26-10-2011, 16:20
The ships really have trouble going together when they have a bit of paint in the peg and hole... It is almost tempting to just clip the pegs off since I am sure the ships would hold together very well and easily with just a bit of superglue and no peg. So far they are easily holding with pegs and no glue.

take the edge of your xacto and scrape the peg with the knife perpendicular to the peg.. the paint will come off, and you can easily fit it then.. a small flat file works too.

someone2040
27-10-2011, 06:15
Just following the GW painting scheme for mine.

I think if it was more akin to Man o War I would paint mine in my own colours. But since they're just a variety of ships, I can't be bothered changing colour schemes for the sake of change.

However, I have been thinking about painting the Dragons for the High Elves different colours. Especially the flying one, not a fan of the white dragon. But that is a really minor change to scheme.

Tekore
28-10-2011, 18:27
We have two more ships painted, taking the total to three.

The Curse of Zandri:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc42/Tekore/Dreadfleet/IMG_0739.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc42/Tekore/Dreadfleet/IMG_0738.jpg

The Flaming Scimitar:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc42/Tekore/Dreadfleet/IMG_0740.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc42/Tekore/Dreadfleet/IMG_0741.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc42/Tekore/Dreadfleet/IMG_0742.jpg

N810
28-10-2011, 22:36
Progress!!!

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l198/nbundick/Terrain/100_1288.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l198/nbundick/Terrain/100_1289.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l198/nbundick/Terrain/100_1290.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l198/nbundick/Terrain/100_1291.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l198/nbundick/Terrain/100_1292.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l198/nbundick/Terrain/100_1293.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l198/nbundick/Terrain/100_1294.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l198/nbundick/Terrain/100_1295.jpg

Zark the Damned
29-10-2011, 11:10
OK, have gotten my first ship done, and a few islands too! Hoping to get pics taken today.

Doi
29-10-2011, 11:43
I've got the Skabrus finished up (although I am scrambling last minute to get the auxiliary done since I forgot to paint it at the same time :angel:).

I'm thinking next month I'll try and knock over all of the terrain/gaming accessories/etc rather than a ship since all of my TOFP/TO40KP entries will be one/two model submissions because of exams.

Doi

someone2040
30-10-2011, 00:32
No auxillary for the Kraken this month. However, I finished off the Kraken yesterday to nab me a default win at my local GW's Dreadfleet Painting Comp. I don't think the game is doing too badly, just that people aren't painting their fleets!

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/someone2040/Dreadfleet/BlackKraken1.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/someone2040/Dreadfleet/BlackKraken2.jpg

Anyway, I think it came out pretty well. Just need to get that auxillary done, then onto Grimnir's Thunder.

N810
30-10-2011, 00:57
Looks great 2040. :D

Zark the Damned
30-10-2011, 12:54
OK, got some pics taken at last!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/zarkthedamned/Miniatures/Dread%20Fleet/c45473e4.jpg
A few islands

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/zarkthedamned/Miniatures/Dread%20Fleet/68b8157c.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/zarkthedamned/Miniatures/Dread%20Fleet/caf65c00.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/zarkthedamned/Miniatures/Dread%20Fleet/2518f4f7.jpg
My take on the Bloody Reaver. Deliberately kept it looking dull and decrepit, I will probably have all of the Dread Fleet in dark/dull colours and the Grand Alliance in bright ones for contrast.

Replicant253
30-10-2011, 21:00
First ship done, the Heldenhammer. Pretty much going a long with the painting guide in WD. Fairly pleased with it, now onto the Blood Reaver.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/Replicant253/Dreadfleet/IMAG0431.jpg

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/Replicant253/Dreadfleet/IMAG0433.jpg

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/Replicant253/Dreadfleet/IMAG0436.jpg

Harry
30-10-2011, 23:34
So much great stuff.
Thanks to everyone who joined.
I shall go put up a new thread tomorrow for everyone to show off their efforts from the first month.

Can't wait for all the 'back to back' boaty goodness.

Galgaroth
30-10-2011, 23:46
Oh. Before you do, can you count me in?

I meant to have my first boat painted by now, but I've had a few delays (namely faulty primer and the release of Batman Arkham City).

Should have pics of the Shadewraith ready for the next thread. Quite apt considering the date...