PDA

View Full Version : The Tale of 40k Painters 2011-2012 MONTH 2 (SEP completed work & OCT WIP)

misterboff
01-10-2011, 05:25
Welcome to the Tale of 40k Painters 2011-2012!

What is the Tale all about?
The aim of the Tale of Painters is to get an army fully painted within the next 12 months.

For most 40k armies the size will be somewhere between 1000 and 2000 points, but you can go higher if you want to (and you're crazy enough)! AI, BFG and Epic armies will be slightly different, but as long as you choose an appropriate sized army for your game system then there's no problem.

Once you've chosen your army, your target is to paint roughly 10% of your army each month. For example, if you've chosen a 2000 point army then your monthly target would be 200 points. The Tale runs for one year (September 2011 to August 2012), so if you stick to your 10% monthly target then you'll only need to paint for 10 months of the year.

To cover the months when you can't/don't paint, you get 2 'Jokers'. You can play a 'Joker' at any time (provided you haven't used them both up!), which essentially means that you don't have to meet your target for that month. They can used for real life events (such as births, deaths, marriages, exams, holidays) or if you're just having a bad/slow month. If you play a 'Joker' then feel free to post a suitable image instead (of a Joker or something funny).

What is this thread all about?
This thread is for completed entries for last month (up until the 7th) and work in progress (WIP) for this month (from the 8th). Please only post completed work for last month until the 7th.

From the 8th, feel free to post any WIP pictures of what you're going to be painting this month, army lists, background stories, battle reports, questions, and comments on anyone else's posts. You can post as little or as much as you like in the thread, but please keep it WIP from the 8th of the month. Do not post any completed work for this month until after the next thread opens at the start of next month.

If you have not posted by the 8th of the month, then you will have to play one of your 'Jokers'. If you have failed to post by the 8th of the month and have already played both of your 'Jokers', then unfortunately you will be out of the Tale.

Frequently Asked Questions
Q : Am I too Late? Can I still Join in?
A : No, you're not too late and can still join in! Just post in this thread stating which army and how many points you would like to paint, and I'll add you to the list in the second post. For example, if you wanted to paint 2k of Orks you would put 'Orks - 2000 points'. Please aim to paint at least 1000 points in total (or at least 500 points for each 'Multiple' army).

Q : Do I have to stick to just one army? #NEW#
A : No, you can paint more than one army if you want to! Quite a few people like to paint more than one army at a time, so if you fall into this category then just list each army you wish to paint when you sign up. 'Multiple' armies don't have to be the same size, but please aim to paint at least 500 points for each army, otherwise you're probably better off starting your own plog if you just want to paint lots of random things. For the purposes of 'Multiple' armies, As long as you aim for 10% of your combined total each month then it doesn't matter what order you paint things in. You could paint 10% of each army each month, or alternate armies each month, or 5 months of one army followed by 5 months of another army, or whatever combination best suits you.

Q : Can I paint more than 10% of my army in a month?
A : Yes, you aren't bound by the rules of the Tale, and it's great to get ahead. BUT, we would like you only to post 10% (approx) each month and try to stay roughly on track with 10% per month. For example, if you're painting 2000 points that means 200 points in month 1, 400 points by month 2, 600 points by month 3, etc. This way you won't depress those of us who are struggling to keep up.

Q : Can I paint less than 10% of my army in a month?
A : Yes, you aren't bound by the rules of the Tale, but we would like you to try to stay on track by painting more points in the next month to 'catch up'. For example, if you're painting 2000 points and you only painted 100 points one month you could try and get 300 points painted the next month. Equally if you paint more one month you can take it easy and paint less the next month.

Q : What happens when I paint an expensive character/tank/unit?
A : This happens a lot. If your character/tank/unit is over 10% of your army you could simply paint him/it/them over two months (the sort of time your general/tank/expensive unit deserves!). For example, one year my monthly target was 200 points and I painted a Stompa (600 points). I split painting the model into (roughly) 3 months of 200 points, posting new WIP shots each month.

Q : Do I have to play my 2 'Jokers' during the Tale?
A : No, you don't have to play them at all. If you can manage to paint/post for the full 12 months then congratulations, you'll have exceeded your target and truly embodied the spirit of the Tale!

Q : Can I 'buy back' my 'Jokers' during the Tale? #NEW#
A : Yes, you can 'buy back' your 'Jokers' during the Tale. If you have already played a 'Joker' and manage to get a month ahead (either by painting double one month or painting a bit more than your target for a few months), then just state in your entry for that month that you wish to 'buy back' your 'Joker' and I'll take it off for you.

Q : What's with the D6 roll in your post?
A : The D6 roll was an idea introduced to help ensure that everyone gets some comments on their work. If everyone rolls a D6 when they post (I use the [D&D dice roller] if I don't have a D6 to hand), then we should have six roughly equal groups each month. Then, if you comment on those people who rolled the same as you everyone will receive some feedback. So, if you roll a 1, comment on all of the other 1's, if you rolled a 2, comment on all of the other 2's, and so on. Of course, if you have the time/want to, there's nothing stopping you from commenting on anyone's/everyone's work.

##############################

I'll start off by posting my completed entry for last month. Feel free to copy my post to use as a template (edited to suit your army), but as long as you post your Monthly total, Total to date, Unit(s) painted and a picture then that's fine.

If anyone has any other questions, please direct them to misterboff (me).

misterboff
01-10-2011, 05:28
Here is a list of who's signed up for the Tale of 40k Painters 2011-2012 so far (people in ITALICS still need to confirm something):

Aenarion - Blood Angels - 0/2000 (1 Jokers played)
BigJon - Grey Knights - 0/2000 (1 Jokers played)
bleedcrimson - Space Marines (Sons of Lazarus) - 205/1750 (0 Jokers played)
burni - Imperial Guard - 130/1000 (0 Jokers played)
crandall87 - Grey Knights - 265/2000 (0 Jokers played)
Darnok - Chaos Daemons - 150/1000 (0 Jokers played)
DarthSte - Sisters of Battle - 0/1000 (1 Jokers played)
Deusmex - Dark Eldar - 224/2000 (0 Jokers played)
Deusmex - Space Wolves - 0/1500 (1 Jokers played)
Deusmex - Blood Angels (Angels Sanguine) - 0/1500 (1 Jokers played)
Devilish - Dark Eldar - 0/1500 (1 Jokers played)
djc - Imperial Guard - 190/1500 (0 Jokers played)
djc - Chaos Daemons - 165/1500 (0 Jokers played)
Doi - Orks - 104/1000 (0 Jokers played)
Doomseer - Necrons - 0/1000 (1 Jokers played)
f2k - Orks - 0/500 (1 Jokers played)
Fanny Crowbar - Dark Eldar - 99/1000 (0 Jokers played)
Frgt/10 - Dark Eldar - 0/1500 (1 Jokers played)
give_me_a_d - Chaos (various) - 0/1000 (1 Jokers played)
GomezAddams - Imperial Guard - 0/2000 (1 Jokers played)
Green Feevah! - Eldar - 210/2000 (0 Jokers played)
gwarsh41 - Chaos Daemons - 0/500 (1 Jokers played)
gwarsh41 - Space Wolves - 0/500 (1 Jokers played)
Hypaspist - Tyranids (Hive Fleet Frigus) - 210/2000 (0 Jokers played)
iPaint - Imperial Guard - 0/2500 (1 Jokers played)
ironduke - Space Marines - 0/1500 (1 Jokers played)
Iziuth - Space Wolves - 0/1500 (1 Jokers played)
Jacktheripper34 - Dark Eldar - 0/1500 (1 Jokers played)
Jibbajabba - Grey Knights - 0/2000 (1 Jokers played)
Jihad_Ragsta - Space Marines (Brazen Minotaurs) - 210/1500 (0 Jokers played)
Jihad_Ragsta - BFG (Imperial) - 180/1000 (0 Jokers played)
Jihad_Ragsta - BFG (Orks) - 120/500 (0 Jokers played)
Jonahmaul - Space Marines (Brazen Claw) - 0/2000 (1 Jokers played)
juxt - Imperial Guard (Cadian) - 120/1000 (0 Jokers played)
Kalidane - Space Wolves - 0/1000 (1 Jokers played)
lilloser2010 - Space Marines (90's Ultramarines) - 0/1500 (1 Jokers played)
Lord Dan - Grey Knights (Machine Cultists) - 0/2000 (1 Jokers played)
Lord Setra - Space Wolves - 0/2000 (1 Jokers played)
MalusCalibur - Imperial Guard (42nd Mordecai) - 175/2000 (0 Jokers played)
Maskedman5oh4 - Tyranids - 0/2000 (1 Jokers played)
matt_17 - Imperial Guard - 185/1750 (0 Jokers played)
mcgarnicle - Space Marines (Ultramarines) - 0/750 (1 Jokers played)
mcgarnicle - Tau Empire - 0/750 (1 Jokers played)
mcgarnicle - BFG (Imperial) - 0/1000 (1 Jokers played)
Mini77 - Space Marines (Dead Suns) - 0/1500 (1 Jokers played)
misterboff - Orks (Deathskulls) - 0/1500 (1 Jokers played)
Monsterzonk - Space Marines - 195/1500 (0 Jokers played)
nagash66 - Space Marines (Space Sharks) - 0/1750 (1 Jokers played)
Nilo - Imperial Guard - 0/2000 (1 Jokers played)
Niveus Procer - Space Marines - 405/2000 (0 Jokers played)
Niveus Procer - Orks - 0/1500 (1 Jokers played)
Panzer MkIV - Orks - 0/1000 (1 Jokers played)
Panzer MkIV - Imperial Guard - 0/600 (1 Jokers played)
perplexiti - Space Wolves - 0/2000 (1 Jokers played)
pudsey098 - Dark Eldar - 0/1000 (1 Jokers played)
pudsey098 - Orks - 0/500 (1 Jokers played)
punkfish - Imperial Guard (Elysian/Cadian/Arbites) - 160/1500 (0 Jokers played)
Raven667 - Eldar - 0/1500 (1 Jokers played)
razcalking - Chaos Daemons - 0/400 (1 Jokers played)
razcalking - Dark Eldar - 0/400 (1 Jokers played)
razcalking - Necrons - 0/400 (1 Jokers played)
razcalking - Tau Empire - 0/400 (1 Jokers played)
razcalking - Tyranids - 0/400 (1 Jokers played)
razormasticator - Orks - 300/2000 (0 Jokers played)
Rikk - Orks - 0/1000 (1 Jokers played)
Saim-Hann Lord - Space Marines (Hawk Lords) - 0/2000 (1 Jokers played)
ScytheSwathe - Space Marines (The Sundered Scythes) - 0/500 (1 Jokers played)
ScytheSwathe - Dark Eldar (Eldar Pirates) - 0/500 (1 Jokers played)
Setha - Imperial Guard (Death Korps of Krieg) - 0/2000 (1 Jokers played)
Sgt John Keel - Blood Angels - 0/2500 (1 Jokers played)
Shnerg - Blood Angels - 0/1000 (1 Jokers played)
superawesomeraptorman - Necrons - 0/1750 (1 Jokers played)
SuperMitch - Sisters of Battle - 70/1500 (0 Jokers played)
Sycoa - Blood Angels - 400/2000 (0 Jokers played)
T3h D4ve - Space Marines (Ultramarines) - 0/1500 (1 Jokers played)
Terranova - Orks - 130/1000 (0 Jokers played)
Thalenchar - Imperial Guard (Terra's Judgement) - 100/1500 (0 Jokers played)
TheMaster - Black Templars - 0/1000 (1 Jokers played)
vcassano - Dark Eldar - 0/500 (1 Jokers played)
vcassano - Grey Knights - 185/2500 (0 Jokers played)
Vimes - Space Marines (Space Sharks) - 0/1500 (1 Jokers played)
Walls - ???? - 0/???? (1 Jokers played)
Xazil - Space Marines (Imperial Paladins) - 0/1500 (1 Jokers played)
Zander77 - Dark Eldar - 0/1000 (1 Jokers played)
Zujara - Imperial Guard - 95/1000 (0 Jokers played)

Please can you check your entry and let me know if anything needs changing.

misterboff
01-10-2011, 05:33
misterboff's Deathskull Orks: September 2011 (D6 roll = 3)

MONTHLY TOTAL: 85 POINTS (MONTHLY TARGET: 150 POINTS) - this post is just an example, I'm actually using a JOKER for September
TOTAL TO DATE: 85 POINTS (TARGET TO DATE: 150 POINTS) - this post is just an example, I'm actually using a JOKER for September
JOKERS PLAYED: 1

BACKGROUND/THEME:
'...the Boneheadz family of Death Skulls once overran and plundered an Imperial penal colony, and wore fragments of convict clothing printed with black arrows for generations afterwards.' - Waaargh The Orks!

UNIT(S):
Weirdboy Warphead - 85 points

BUILD/CONVERSIONS:
The Weirdboy Warphead is simply the Sqwadron Commander from Forgeworld, with an Ork skull on his base.

PAINTING/BASING:
Most colours have 3 stages, either basecoat/highlight/wash or basecoat/wash/highlight. The bases are simply Vomit Brown followed by Citadel Sand.

Nob Skin: Orkhide+Knarloc/Thraka/Camo
Ork Skin: Knarloc/Thraka/Camo
Grot Skin: Gretchin/Thraka/Camo
Blue Face: Enchanted/Asurmen/Ice
White Face: Astronomican/Badab/Skull
Teef: Dheneb/Ogryn/Bone
Eyes: Mechrite
Pants: Chaos/Badab/Adeptus Battlegrey
Top: Astronomican/Badab
Straps: Adeptus/Badab
Metal: Boltgun/Badab/Mithril

STILL TO DO:
Nothing.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: Getting a Runtbot from Forgeworld at Games Day - it beats paying a ridiculous amount on ebay.
Lows: None really, I enjoyed my month's break from assembling/painting.

NEXT MONTH:
The first of two months working on my Skullhamma. Next month will be assembling and the month after will be painting...

misterboff

[Da Joka]

Darnok
01-10-2011, 12:26
Darnoks Daemons: September 2011 (D6 roll = 4)

MONTHLY TOTAL: 150 points (MONTHLY TARGET: 100 points)
TOTAL TO DATE: 150/1000

UNIT(S): 10 Fleshhounds of Khorne

BUILD/CONVERSIONS: More or less straight out of the box, on 40mm round bases. The only conversion are different horns. I wanted a more unified look, and used bitz from the Chaos Spawn kit.

STILL TO DO: Nothing, apart from maybe some static burned grass.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: I was very pleased how well that classical red/green/bronze colour scheme turned out. And getting a unit of Daemons painted after a bereak of over a year on that army was great!
Lows: None really, I enjoyed painting them.

NEXT MONTH: I plan to do a cycle through all four Chaos Gods: Khorne - Slaanesh - Nurgle - Tzeentch. I hope to not get bored that way. Next months plan is a unit of old-school Daemonettes - the crabhands. :D

Monsterzonk
01-10-2011, 13:51
Monsterzonk's Heralds of Faith Space Marines

D6-roll: 4

Monthly Target: 150 pts
This Month: 195 pts
Total: 195 / 1,500 pts

Unit(s): Tactical Squad IV, sergeant with power weapon (not yet done), plasma gun, missile launcher - 195 pts

Build / Conversions: Straight out of the box, with a few chainswords added.

Painting / Basing: Army Painter Jungle Tuft on the bases. Otherwise Chaos Black armour with Adeptus Battlegrey highlights, Bleached Bone shoulder guards and face plates, company and squad markings freehanded on left knee.

Still to do: Finish the sergeant. Add decals (will be done at the end of the Tale)

Highs & Lows: It feels good to have a squad nearly finished, but not completing the sergeant sucks... :(

Next Month: Tactical Squad II, sergeant with power fist, flamer, heavy bolter - another 195 points

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb2/Monsterzonk/Warhammer%2040k/A%20Tale%20of%2040k%20Painters%20-%20WarSeer/TacticalSquadIV.jpg

Cheers,
Monsterzonk :skull:

djc
01-10-2011, 15:39
djc's beastman guard (D6 = 5)

For those who didn't see last years tale, the general idea of my army is to throw fantasy beastmen and imperial guard together and hope. For the vehicles, this generally means using the beastman weapons etc. as decoration.

MONTHLY TOTAL: 190 points
TOTAL TO DATE: 190 points

UNIT(S):
Leman Russ Executioner - 190 points

STILL TO DO:
Nowt

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs:Getting this month's painting done quickly - I'm already partway through next months.
Lows: Progress on next months portion is slow

NEXT MONTH:
Heavy weapon teams.

djc
01-10-2011, 15:43
djc's daemons (D6 = 3)

MONTHLY TOTAL: 165 points
TOTAL TO DATE: 165 points

UNIT(S):
Great Unclean One, Cloud of Flies - 165 points

STILL TO DO:
Varnishing, and finish off the base.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: I really like this model - I think the older greater daemons are so much more characterful than the current ones.
Lows: Not too keen on how the horns have turned out

NEXT MONTH:
Another greater daemon, probably a keeper of secrets

EffCee
01-10-2011, 15:43
Dark Eldar 1000 points: September 2011 D6 roll = 4

MONTHLY TOTAL: 99 POINTS (monthly target: 100 points)
TOTAL TO DATE: 99 POINTS
JOKERS USED: 0

BACKGROUND/THEME:
The Kabal of the Bloody Tongue

UNIT(S):
Venom with splinter cannon, night shields and chain-snares (80 pts)
Kabalite Trueborn with haywire grenades and shardcarbine (19 pts)

BUILD/CONVERSIONS
Swapped the Wych crewmember for a Kabalite one on the Venom.
Kitbashed Trueborn with Kabalites, Reavers and Scourges.

PAINTING/BASING:
I want my Dark Eldar to have a neon/Tron feel to them.
The armour is mostly dark blue (Necron Abyss) with light blue (Ice Blue) highlights. Some plates are painted silver.
Glyphs and hair are bright green (Scorpion Green) highlighted to white.
I'm painting the Dark Eldar's skin as I would bone. Dheneb Stone base with a Devlan Mud wash. Highlighted with more Dheneb Stone up to white.
The bases are bits of slate and sand. The slate is painted Codex Grey and drybrushed with Fortress Grey. The sand is painted Snakebite Leather and drybrushed with Dheneb Stone and then given a wash of Devlan Mud. Finally I added some static grass.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: A new tale. Yay!
Lows: None this month thankfully.

NEXT MONTH:
Wracks and a Haemonculus.

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/fannycrowbar/dark%20eldar/014-2.jpg?t=1316000571

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/fannycrowbar/dark%20eldar/013-1.jpg?t=1316000545

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/fannycrowbar/dark%20eldar/012-1.jpg?t=1316000516

burni
01-10-2011, 17:33
Serpentine 501st Imperial Guard 1000 points: September 2011 D6 roll = 3

MONTHLY TOTAL: 130 POINTS (monthly target: 100 points)
TOTAL TO DATE: 130 POINTS
JOKERS USED: 0

BACKGROUND/THEME:
Newly raised Imperial Guard regiment from wealthy industrial planet. Lots of armour and support equipment, all fresh from the manufactorium but very little combat experience.

The Serpentine high command lobbied Segmentum Departmento Munitorum for assistance in preparing the new regiment and was assigned the remnants of a bloodied Cadian force. The tactics and doctrine of the 501st are therefore built upon Cadian principles. (I use Cadian minis for the Serpentine troops, Creed will represent the assigned Cadian commander and veterans will be the remaining Cadian troops).

UNIT(S):
Hellhound (130 pts)

BUILD/CONVERSIONS
Magnetised main weapons otherwise build to stock specification.

PAINTING/BASING:
I have very unsteady hands so I try to work with single coats when possible (as trying to paint the same area twice usually ends in a mess!) so I try to use foundation paints along with washes and dry brushing. So it's Orkhide shade over Halfords black undercoat. Then dry brush with Knarloc Green then a light dry brush of Boltgun metal. Tracks are dry brush tin bitz then dry brush Boltgun metal. Simple stuff but I like it and it's a nice consistent look.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: Getting involved with the Tale and getting back to painting.
Lows: All good this month.

NEXT MONTH:
Still trying to decide as I need to put an order into Wayland. Probably a Executioner but might change my mind at the last minute!

Frgt/10
02-10-2011, 10:34
JOKER for the first month for me. Was intending this from the start due to RL stuff...
Hopefully going to smash through a battleforce this month though...

Ragsta
02-10-2011, 10:40
Jihad Ragsta's Brazen Minotaurs/Imperial Navy/Ork fleet: September 2011 (D6 roll = 5)

MONTHLY TOTAL: BM = 210 pts/ IN = 180 pts/ Orks = 120 pts
TOTAL TO DATE: 210/ 180/ 120 points
JOKERS PLAYED: 0

BACKGROUND/THEME:
For background on these three lists you can look at my threads (don't want to bore you so soon in the Tale!) if you like. Okay, maybe a little fluff for my Brazen Minotaurs:

Recruited from the feral world of Taurrogan, the Brazen Minotaur Chapter march to war in suits of bronze armour. They scorn camouflage and creeping through cover - their bright armour and aggressive nature makes a frontal assault truly awe inspiring.

UNIT(S):
Terminator squad - 210 points
Lunar class cruiser - 180 points
Ravager escort squadron - 120 pts

BUILD/CONVERSIONS:
My Ravager attack ships are scratchbuilt - I have used the chemical plant from Pegasus Hobbies as a base for parts. Everything else is straight off the sprue apart from sone very minor customisation of the Lunar's forward mast - now it looks like a crows nest! :p

PAINTING/BASING:
My paint scheme for the Termies didn't work out - happily I only ever intended them to be a test piece for the army in general. They still look nice - just not what I have in mind for the force. Basing was black rims (after feedback from you guys) and autumnal flock and static grass. Again, I think I'll change this for the rest of the Brazen Minotaurs.

Terminator armour: Boltgun/Devlan/Gryphonne/ drybrush Chainmail
Terminator trim: Scab/Mechrite/Blood Angels
Termie guns: Adeptus/sponged Chainmail/Badab

Cruiser hull: Scab/Mechrite/watered down Mechrite
Cruiser prow and wings: Adeptus/Badab/Shadow Grey
Metal trim: Boltgun/Badab/Chainmail

Ravager hulls: Knarloc/Badab/drybrush Gnarloc
Weathering: Boltgun chipping and drybrushing/Charadon splodges/Devlan
Flames: Just Mechrite - nice n bright :)
Camo: Bestial Brown/Devlan

STILL TO DO:
Nothing.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: Painting my first batch for a tale! And I really enjoyed everything I did for the Ravagers.
Lows: None really - the only 'low' is realising that my Brazen Minotaurs need more complicated basing now!

NEXT MONTH:
Brazen Minotaur Tactical Marines - and they'll be pretty blinging from the look of them!
Another Imperial cruiser - I had a very productive weekend with these...
Ork Ramships :evilgrin:

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/Poymo/Brazen%20Minotaurs%20Space%20Marines/0022.jpg

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/Poymo/Battlegroup%20Resurgent/0024.jpg

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/Poymo/Waaaaagghhhhh%20Gargruks%20BFG/010.jpg

Niveus Procer
02-10-2011, 16:56
Niveus Procer's Space Marines. Septembers work Dice role = 3

this months total 405 points, monthly goal 350pts
total to date 405 [target to date 350]
jokers played 0

Build / conversions
Librarian is a conversion from terminator Sargent an what not
Legion of the Damned is specially painted

PAINTING/BASING:
Ice blue for the armor
purple for joints
red & gold for the shoulder pads
basing is snow terrain

STILL TO DO: flocking

HIGHS AND LOWS:
High, I got more done then i thought i could
Lows, some of the models i.e the tactical marine Sargent is not as well painted as I thought I'm using a camera that can pick up every brush stroke they don't look as bad in person.

NEXT MONTH: probably the same models as this month i have a second Librarian almost dont needs some flocking i am not sure if i'll get it all done, getting married the 23rd.

i have 9 more pictures next month i'll take less
if you know the McDonald's dice

Aenarion
02-10-2011, 17:34
Some great stuff here guys, keep it coming!

This month I'm going to have to play a joker, a two week holiday in sept has really set me back.

We can win back jokers right? (Post double next month?)

perplexiti
02-10-2011, 17:48
Nice looking stuff so far, but I have to joker unfortunately. Too much rugby on the telly and at the stadium for me. Next month I should have something done though, I promise!

crandall87
02-10-2011, 19:25
Crandall's Custodes

D6 Roll: 1

Monthly Target: 200pts
This Month: 265pts
Total: 265/2000pts

Jokers Used: 0

Unit(s): Custodes Dreadknight

Build / Conversions: Slightly converted dreadknight with Custode style head from Scibor and a halberd made out of a piece of tubing.
Painting / Basing: Mainly shining gold, red gore and mithril silver. The silver wash given a black wash and the gold had a light ogryn flesh wash. The reds had a wash of black and a wash of blue followed by red gore and blood red highlights. Base was just simple city theme, black with drybrushed codex and fortress grey.

Still to do: Maybe add some brass aquillas.

Highs & Lows: Very easy to put together. Would loved to have done a NMM gold but couldn't pull it off on such a large model.

Next Month: A Venerable Contemptor Dreadnought - 201pts

http://www.leagueofextraordinarygamers.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/P1010752.jpg

BigJon
02-10-2011, 21:45
Month 1 I gota play a joker. Did some remodeling and had to pack all my minis up, so I have to clean up and break them back out.

BigJon

Sycoa
03-10-2011, 00:47
Sycoa's Blood Angels: September 2011 (D6 roll = 2)

MONTHLY TOTAL: 400 POINTS (MONTHLY TARGET: 167 POINTS)
TOTAL TO DATE: 400 POINTS (TARGET TO DATE: 167 POINTS)

BACKGROUND/THEME:
Blood Angels Battle Company, not too much fluff at the moment.

UNIT(S):
Death Company Squad (19)

BUILD/CONVERSIONS:
Just a few run of the mill DC kits, used 5 old metal models and updated their weapons with the new kit.

PAINTING/BASING:
I don't really like black armour, so I went with a 50/50 of Mordian Blue and Chaos black as the basecoat to give the armour some depth. Highlighted the edges with Codex grey and then Fortess Grey, and then a Badab Black wash to bring it all together. The rest of the lads is just detail work.

STILL TO DO:
Still working on the squad. I feel I picked the wrong unit to start out with, as I have been working on other members of my army as a break. That and the fact that these boys cost a lot of points, especially with Jump Packs. I will be doing Death Company for October as well, to finish them off by November.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: These guys are starting to look great, once they are all together and painted, it will be even better! Painting all black is a nice break from red.
Lows: Not a whole lot of painting time this month, but with the Canadian winter, that is sure to improve!

NEXT MONTH:
Keep working on the squad to finish it up. I'll be upping my points limit to at least 2000pts, as the Death Company alone are 800pts.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/BLT1990/010.jpg

Sycoa.

matt_17
03-10-2011, 11:19
Matt's Cromorian Legion (IG): September 2011 (D6 roll = 6)

MONTHLY TOTAL: 185 POINTS (MONTHLY TARGET: 175 POINTS)
TOTAL TO DATE: 185 POINTS (TARGET TO DATE: 175 POINTS)

BACKGROUND/THEME:
When the title says Cromorian Legion it really means "selected elements of a Cromorian Legion". No way in hell can I paint the 10 000 - 14 000 guys that make up an entire Legion in a lifetime, let alone a year.

The Cromor system has four inhabited planets - more on the nature of those planets in later months' background, else I'll end up writing an essay here. Each of those planets has its own planetary defence forces from which the best and brightest are recruited into the system wide defence force called the Cromorian Legions. The Legions also form the final staging point for recruitment into the Imperial Guard proper.

When a tithe of soldiers is required from the Cromor system entire Legions are sent - meaning that the Imperial Guard get a cohesive fighting force, already trained to fight together, with their command structure already in place and funtioning properly. As soon as one Legion is sent to the Imperial Guard the Cromorian command begins replacing that Legion in the system wide defence force - so should the 51st Cromorian Legion join the Imperial Guard a new 51st Legion will be initiated, trained and readied in the Cromorian System Defence Force.

Technically, upon recruitment to the IG, Legions are renamed as Regiments and ranks reassigned to match codified imperial doctrine... in practice a Cromorian Legion is always a Legion. Whenever possible Cromorian Legions return to Cromor to replace their losses - drawing these replacements from their successor Legion within the system wide defence force (these replacements are then counted as part of the systems imperial tithe). As such, Cromorian Legions are only ever decomissioned from the Imperial Guard if they are whiped out wholesale in a single campaign - which is rare.

In this Tale I will be building elements of the Undying 14th Cromorian Legion. The Legion has existed as a Regiment within the Imperial Guard since it was first commissioned seven millenia ago. At times the Legion has been mauled down only a few divisions remaining, but in its long history the Cromorian 14th has not yet been entirely annihilated.

This is getting long... so I'll go into Legion organisation and command structure next time.

UNIT(S):
Leman Russ Battle Tank - Lascannon, Camo Netting

BUILD/CONVERSIONS:
As it comes straight out of the box, with the exception of the rolled up camo net on the back.

PAINTING/BASING:

The painting of this tank (and those to come) was achieved via the following steps.

The whole thing was sprayed Chaos Black.
Camoflage Pattern - First the two darker colours (Calthan Brown & Catachan Green) were painted on, then the joins between them were painted with Iyanden Darksun.
All the iron metal sections (including scratches and weathering) were painted with a 50/50 Chaos Black/Boltgun Metal mix. Golden metal trim (aquilas, skulls, etc) was painted with Dwarf Bronze.
The white on the back of the turret was achieved via Codex Grey, Fortress Grey and then Skull White twice. The camo net was just Codex Grey and drybrush Fortress Grey.
Cromor transfer was applied to the turret, ID number was freehanded onto the side of the hull in Skull White and vehicle name was freehanded onto the back of the turrent in Chaos Black.
The whole thing (pretty much) was washed with a heavily watered down Graveyard Earth/Chaos Black mix. Then selected areas were washed again.
Golden metal trim was higlighted in Shining Gold.
Guns, exhaust vents, smoke launchers and trailer hook were highlighted with Boltgun Metal. Scatches and weathering were gone over with Boltgun Metal. Tracks were drybrushed with Boltgun Metal.
A Heavy Graveyard Earth drybrush was used to achieve the dirt effects around the tracks and front of the hull.
The scratches and weathering was picked out again with Boltgun metal.
Finally the lights were painted. The red guide lights around the turrent are done in Red Gore -> Blood Red -> Blazing Orange -> Skull White Highlights. The searchlight starts with Golden Yellow and ends in Skull White with varying mixes of the two in betweeen.

STILL TO DO:
Nothing.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: First tank I've ever painted... I had fun.
Lows: Starting a new army from scratch is expensive.

NEXT MONTH:
Leman Russ Executioner... which is already mostly finished, so hopefully a test model for the troops too. I should slow down once I hit the infantry guys... lots of them to paint.

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff347/teh_q21/DKAngle1.jpg

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff347/teh_q21/DKAngle2.jpg

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff347/teh_q21/DKFront.jpg

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff347/teh_q21/DKRight.jpg

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff347/teh_q21/DKBack.jpg

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff347/teh_q21/DKLeft.jpg

Raven667
04-10-2011, 10:20
Sadly I am going to have to play a joker this month, as I had a bit of a basing disaster :mad: Which means I need to repaint the legs of my scorpions and fix the bases!

But...

I do have some "Finished" pics, just ignore from the ankle down :D

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m521/DrunkenEldar/IMG_0384.jpg

And in action, hunting for Ultramarines my mate should arrive soon
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m521/DrunkenEldar/IMG_0380.jpg

Jibbajabba
04-10-2011, 11:05
OK, I have to play a joker first up, but, as God is my witness, I'll have claimed it back by the end of the month!

First squad is nearly(-ish) done and next up is just 5 termies for October.

f2k
04-10-2011, 12:45
I'll have to play a half-joker... Got a Leman Russ converted and ready to paint but been down with a naste stomach infection for over a week now so work's progressing very slowly.

I'll post a few pictures once I've gotten that * biiiib * camera to understand who's boss and I'll get to work as soon as time, and my stomach, will allow it, painting not only the Russ but also a HQ squad...

Zander77
04-10-2011, 14:01
Gotta joker. :shifty:

Between real life crap and my camera disappearing, I didn't even stand a chance this month.

Thalenchar
04-10-2011, 22:15
Hello all! I'm joining the party. Joined the Fantasy Tale friday and painted this guy just for the fun of it. Guess I'm doing Guard as well! Emperor knows I have enough stuff lying around.

Could I be added, please? I'm thinking about 1500 pts in total. Thanks!

Army: Imperial Guard, Special Task Force "Terra's Judgement"

Background: Part of the current Radiance Crusade, this force has been ordered to join an army sent to clear out a stronghold held by recent renegades Swords of Vengeance Space Marines.

Unit: Lord Commissar T. R. White IV

Still need to do: redo the lighting effect of the plasma pistol, highlight the coat better and finish the base.

High: Joining in the 40K tale as well! I'm on a painting high...
Low: having to decide what to paint and what to leave. So much I want to do!

Points: Just shy of 100. Not my goal for this month, but I only started painting this guy friday and wanted to spend enough time on him. So does that count as a joker for me or can I make it up with more stuff next month?

Dice roll: 6

Deusmex
05-10-2011, 05:51
Deusmex`s Dark Eldar: September 2011 (D6 roll = 4)

MONTHLY TOTAL: 224 POINTS (MONTHLY TARGET: 200 POINTS) -
TOTAL TO DATE: 224 POINTS (TARGET TO DATE: 224 POINTS) -

BACKGROUND/THEME:
Kabal of the Righteous Indignation. Names may be changed to protect the evility of the Kabal
UNIT(S):
Lelith Hesperax and a Sybarite .

BUILD/CONVERSIONS:
Straight outta Comp....err the box I mean.

PAINTING/BASING:
Limited Purple Black and white palette for the armour hair on models will be random depending on my mood.
Bases are left undone while I decide which resin ones to buy.

STILL TO DO:
Bases
HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: Finding a nice Purple tone by accident
Lows: Army Painter matt varnish. Used it once, just managed to save the sybarite from a repaint but it still looks a bit dusty in places where the bloody spray went rough on me. Wont be using product again.
NEXT MONTH: Warrior Squad and Scourges.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Deusmex/DSCF2898.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Deusmex/DSCF2900.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Deusmex/DSCF2904.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Deusmex/DSCF2905.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Deusmex/DSCF2906.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Deusmex/DSCF2907.jpg

bleedcrimson
06-10-2011, 01:36
bleedcrimson's Sons of Lazarus Space Marines: September 2011 (D6 roll = 5)

MONTHLY TOTAL: 205 (MONTHLY TARGET: 200 POINTS)
TOTAL TO DATE: 205 POINTS (TARGET TO DATE: 200 POINTS)

BACKGROUND/THEME:
The Sons of Lazarus are an Imperial Fists Sucessor Chapter who formed shortly after the Horus Heresy. They hail from the Lazarus planatery system (hence the name) Their Fotress Monastry is located on Lazarus IV which is a planet that is 85% desert, very hot and unforgiving. Their power armour has a dull silver/metal colour scheme with the left shoulder pad painted deep red (both shoulder pads are red for sergeants and veterans)

UNIT(S):
Tactical Squad Djenk - 205 points

BUILD/CONVERSIONS:
Basic build squad is made up of 2nd edition marines with a sergeant from the 90s, i really like these older marines even though they are very uniform in stance.

PAINTING/BASING:.

Power Armour - Boltgun metal/Badab/Boltgun/chainmail
Shoulder Pad - Mechrite/red gore
Gold - Shining-scorched/Shining/Burnished
Eyes: Mechrite
Holster/belts - Granite/battlegrey (need to do)

STILL TO DO:
Holster
Bases and Transfers - Waiting for my modelling sand in the post
HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: Finally getting a squad finished.
Lows: Not having much time to paint as well as i would of liked.

NEXT MONTH:
I will be painting one of my land speeders and also my scout squad.

Bleedcrimson

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/soaked_in_crimson/102_2135.jpg

Doi
06-10-2011, 02:44
Doi's Orks: September 2011 (D6 roll = 2)

MONTHLY TOTAL: 104
TOTAL TO DATE: 104/1000

BACKGROUND/THEME: They're Orks :shifty:.

UNITS: 9 Ork Boys w/Big Shoota including a Nob w/Power Klaw/'Eavy armour/Bosspole

BUILD/CONVERSIONS: The normal Orks are straight out of the box and the big shoota is converted from sticking a second shoota barrel onto the end of another. The Nob is the free one from White Dwarf cut in half and given a plasticard powerklaw. His 'mount' is made from plasticard with the tracks from the Wartrakk kit and the the top of a turrent from the old Leman Russ.

PAINTING/BASING:
Skin: Knarloc Green - Devlan Mud - Knarloc Green - Knarloc Green/touch of Bleached Bone
Metal: Boltgun Metal - Badab Black - Chainmail
Clothes: Various Browns/Greys from the foundation range with a wash and highlight

Snow bases: PVA/White Paint/Bi-carb soda mix

STILL TO DO: Nothing.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: Finally making a start on painting my Orks after having them for years :p
Lows: None really

NEXT MONTH: More basic foot troops. I'll finish off this unit and make a start on the next one.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x4/WaaaghDoi/IMGP0433.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x4/WaaaghDoi/IMGP0436.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x4/WaaaghDoi/IMGP0438.jpg

Doi

Maskedman5oh4
06-10-2011, 05:12
JOKER Unfortunately.

Harvey
06-10-2011, 09:10
I'm afraid I have to withdraw from this year's tale.

Please remove my name from the list.

Iziuth
06-10-2011, 15:41
I got to joker for this month and probably next one as well. I am moving house soon and will not be able to paint a whole lot. Got some stuff assembled and some base coated but not much else.

juxt
06-10-2011, 16:33
phew! thought i wouldn't make it this month, but the guys are almost finished, enough to qualify for my 100pt target i think ;)

Juxt's 7th Circle Cadians: September 2011 (D6 roll = 1)

MONTHLY TOTAL: 120 (MONTHLY TARGET: 100 POINTS)
TOTAL TO DATE: 120 POINTS (TARGET TO DATE: 100 POINTS)

BACKGROUND/THEME:
The Cadian 70th, or 7th Circle Boys as they have dubbed themselves is a regiment recruited from some of the most violent members of the Cadian guard. they are particularly fond of explosive weapons and heavy artillery.

UNIT(S):
chimera with twin linked heavy bolter. 65pts
infantry squad with grenade launcher. 55pts

BUILD/CONVERSIONS:
the guard are a mix of snap fit plastics, standard cadian kits and a handful of forge world parts.
the chimera is a mixture of chimera kit, forgeworld rear door, turret and heavy bolter, and an APC conversion kit. oh, and a hellhound driver's hatch.

PAINTING/BASING:.
tunics are 50:50 khemri brown and white. washed with dev mud
armour is 50:50 calthan brown and knarloc green. shaded with black and highlighted with iyanden
chimera got a base coat of khemri and then it's nearly all oil paints from there onwards

STILL TO DO:
selected highlighting on a few guns and shoulderpads. the bases need finishing on a couple of guys.
chimera still needs further weathering and some detail work on the heavy bolters and the front view window.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
highs: painting the grenade guy, despite the undercoat going on grainy (nowhere near as grainy as the pic makes out, but i've learned my lesson about spray distances)
lows: assembling/fixing the apc kit... i'm also finding the chimera particularly depressing to paint, i don't know why as i love painting tanks. it just isn't doing it for me.

NEXT MONTH:
next month i'll be finishing off the guard who need it, and putting together another 10 infantry to bring the squad up to 20 plus a commissar.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/juxtimon/to40kp3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/juxtimon/to40kp2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/juxtimon/to40kp1.jpg

give_me_a_d
06-10-2011, 17:23
Sadly as predicted I have to play my first joker. I have made some progress but not enough to post anything this month. Well done to all those who have posted and to those that will.

Jonahmaul
06-10-2011, 20:02
This is a place holder for now if that's cool guys. I have finished a 5 man scout squad and a Dreadnought but haven't taken pictures and don't have internet at home yet so can't upload them even if I do! Hopefully next week.

Rikk
06-10-2011, 20:08
Hi, put me down for a joker this month please as I havent found the time to complete enough models. Will post some WIP in a couple days along with comments for everyone's efforts so far. Looking good everyone :-)

Sgt John Keel
07-10-2011, 02:30
Bah.

Seems like I've got to play a joker this month, just gave my Dreadnoughts an acetone bath. Varnishing parts of the model before painting the rest of it proved to be a stupid idea, and I've got a couple of busy weeks ahead.

I vow to reclaim it by month's end though.

Hypaspist
07-10-2011, 06:22
Hypaspist's Tyranids : Hive Fleet Frigus: September 2011 (D6 roll = 1)

MONTHLY TOTAL: 210 POINTS (MONTHLY TARGET: 200 POINTS)

TOTAL TO DATE: 210 POINTS (TARGET TO DATE: 200 POINTS)

BACKGROUND/THEME:
I will add this later, but it revolves around a Planetary Empires Campaign we are currently running, the System is called Sargassus and the outermost planet is an Ice Deathworld Called 'Frigus' This is where the first sightings of this distinctive Hive fleet have been spotted and the Agri World of Pax Agoris is even now under threat of being totally overwhelmed by this voracious threat!

UNIT(S):
2 x Zoanthropes - 120 points
The Doom of 'Sargassus' - 90

BUILD/CONVERSIONS:
The Two Zoanthropes are 4th Edition Metal, whilst the Doom Conversion is an older Zoanthrope with an unused Trygon head carapace and some greenstuff for brains, I also used some spare Mawloc carapace extensions to give him some lightning conductor-style head protrusions (I really like those :) ).

PAINTING/BASING:
I started off wanting a simple and easy to replicate colour scheme.... oh How the best laid plans of Mice and Men fail!

I started off with a White Undercoat.

Tyranid Skin: Asurmen Blue wash/Asurmen Blue Wash/Space Wolf Grey Highlight (on the parts of the skin which have a smaller amount of wash on them)
Tyranid Carapace : Adeptus Battle Grey base coat/Codex Grey 1st Highlight/Astronomicon Grey 2nd Highlight
Teeth : Chaos Black/Bleached Bone
Claws/Talons: Khemri Brown/Bleached Bone/Devlan Mud Wash
Brains : Mechrite Red/Baal Red Wash/Blood Red 1st highlight/Fiery Orange 2nd Highlight

Base : I did a Snow base using some small pieces of Slate to giuve som texture to the base, I then mixed up some snow from Bicarbonate of Soda and PVA Glue with a dash of water. This was generously brushed/spooned onto the bases and I then sprinkled the tops of the bases with more Bicarbonate to give it a freshly powdered look :)

STILL TO DO:
I've just noticed a small piece on one of the Nids that needs a double wash of Asurmen blue... :shifty: (i thought i was done before!)

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: getting some models finished! Also how the Snow Bases turned out, it was my first attempt at snow and I am really, really pleased with them!.
Lows: None really, though geting the discipline to get up at 6am and get some painting done (I have an 11 month old daughter so mornings are pretty much the only time I get to paint at the moment!).

NEXT MONTH:
Next month will see me venture into Genestealer and Broodlord territory!
I'd also like to get some ripper bases and Spore mines done (I have over 6000 points to paint in Total, so I figure if I can get a little extra done every month, that may help break the back of it!)

see you all soon, I'm off to try and beat some Dark Eldar! :-s

Kind Regards

Hypa

Terranova
07-10-2011, 11:38
Terranovas Orks: September 2011 (D6 roll = 4)

MONTHLY TOTAL: 130 POINTS (MONTHLY TARGET: 100 POINTS)
TOTAL TO DATE: 130 POINTS (TARGET TO DATE: 100 POINTS)

BACKGROUND/THEME:
No real background yet, that will come as the army expands and starts to develop some character
UNIT(S):
unit of AOBR boys.

BUILD/CONVERSIONS:
Haven't painted any figures for a looong time due to mostly living in tents and shared rooms for the last 15 years so just started on the base models in order to amass a force, no conversions although i will add extra boyz bitz (sounds so wrong) to them over time.

PAINTING/BASING:
To be honest this is quite variable, still trying to work out what i like and don't like, once i know i'll be sure to put it down here. At the moment it is mostly knarloc green, thrakka wash, reknarloc green but leave shadow and then highlight up using bleached bone and more washes.

STILL TO DO:
Add some individual bitzs to personalise them somewhat.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: Having my own painting space and the time to model and realising that whilst not amazing i can start to build on skills and create an army i will hopefully be proud of.
Lows: Goddam mould lines, just when you think you got them all anlther ten turn up for the camera, and a bigger drill for a better barrel bore.
NEXT MONTH:
Deffcoptas, runt bot and some nobz, i just don't know which collective i will finish first.

http://www.warseer.com/gallery/data/500/medium/all20size.jpg

http://www.warseer.com/gallery/data/500/medium/first10size.jpg

http://www.warseer.com/gallery/data/500/medium/second10size.jpg

http://www.warseer.com/gallery/data/500/medium/projectssize.jpg

Zujara
07-10-2011, 17:28
Made it!

ARMY: Imperial Guard using Death Korps minis
MONTHLY TOTAL: 95
TOTAL TO DATE: 95/1000

DICE ROLL: 3

UNITS: Company Command Squad with 3 Meltaguns and Regimental Standard

BUILD/CONVERSIONS: Krieg HQ command squad with meltaguns from the weapons set

PAINTING/BASING:
Coats: Codex Grey, washed with Badab Black, highlighted with 1:1 mix of Fortress Grey and Codex Grey

Dark Metals: 1:2 mix of Chaos Black and Chainmail washed with Badab Black and highlighted with Chainmail

Greens: Knarloc Green washed with Devlan Mud, highlighted with Knarloc Green

Masks: Khemri Brown washed with Devlan Mud, highlighted with Khemri Brown

Dark Browns: Calthan Brown washed with Devlan Mud, highlighted with 1:1 mix of Calthan Brown and Vermin Brown

Gold: Burnished gold highlighted with Mithril Silver washed with Devlan Mud then Gryphonne Sepia

Rings on the gas masks and Buttons: Dwarf Bronze washed with Devlan Mud

Papers: Rotting Flesh washed with Devlan Mud, highlighted with 1:1 mix of Rotting Flesh and Bleached Bone

Weathering: Forgeworld Light Earth powder

Bases: Scorched Brown drybrushed twice with Graveyard Earth then a light drybrush of Bleached Bone

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: Finishing in time and happy with my first ever attempt at weathering infantry

Lows: Took several attempts to get a grey I was happy with

NEXT MONTH: More infantry!

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af182/Zujara/Krieg/tofp2011month1.jpg

Setha
07-10-2011, 18:04
Ive hit a brick wall painting white fatiques and really can't seem to find a good way so i ended up just painting a Leman Russ.

Pictures will follow tomorow (it's night here)

Xazil
07-10-2011, 23:04
Unfortuantly also using a joker for the first month. Not enough progress so far. Hopefully should be able to buy it back soon.

razormasticator
08-10-2011, 00:37
Will post in a little while. This is a place holder.

SuperMitch
08-10-2011, 03:51
SuperMitch's Sisters of Battle: September 2011 (D6 roll = 1)

MONTHLY TOTAL: 70 points (MONTHLY TARGET: 150 points)
TOTAL TO DATE: 70 points (TARGET TO DATE: 150 points)

BACKGROUND/THEME:
To be added!

UNIT(S):
Sisters Rhino - 35 points
Sisters Rhino - 35 points

BUILD/CONVERSIONS:
Standard Sisters of Battle rhino builds, with magnetized prow and banners for easy transport and to prevent breakage.

PAINTING/BASING:
Most details in solid colors, primarily chaos black, shining gold, chainmail, blood red, skull white and bleached bone. Also gryphonne sepia wash for the banners and badab black for the power plant columns and a few details.

STILL TO DO:
Print custom decals for banners! Each squad will have a seperate name identified by the rhino banners. Waiting for decal sheets to come in the mail.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: Finishing my first 2 vehicles ever! I always get bored near the end and abandon the job - well done to the tale for giving me the last bit of incentive. Also got a lot of positive comments on them at my FLGS last night.
Lows: Took a lot longer than I hoped thanks to all the detail, but such is the price of beauty!

NEXT MONTH:
Squad of 10 seraphim with hand flamers and eviscerator superior. Should give me enough points to make up for how inexpensive the new Sisters rhinos are.

f2k
08-10-2011, 10:09
Iím afraid my ďhalf-jokerĒ has become a full joker. As I put down the first layer of satin varnish it became quite obvious that the greenstuffed areas werenít quite smooth and flush with the rest of the tank.

Seriously, just how much sanding does a man have to do to get greenstuff smooth?

Also, seems my order for the command squad hasnít even dispatched from Maelstrom yet, so I might just get to work on my second Russ and hope I can complete them both this moth...

Yeah, right...

As if thatís going to happen...

In any case, do we jokers roll a dice as well? Or should we just shut up...?

misterboff
08-10-2011, 10:59
Well done to everyone who's managed to post their work for the first month. It's often the hardest month as many people will be getting back into painting after a long break or starting a brand new army. Comments for those with pics:

@Darnok: Those are some great looking Fleshhounds there. I think that they really suit the classic Fleshhounds colour scheme, and they're a lot cheaper too!

@Monsterzonk: Nice looking Space Marines, I've always liked black/white colour scheme (Black Templars, Goffs and Ulthwť spring to mind). I really like their two-tone helmets.

@djc: It's great to see you're carrying on with the Beastmen, and your GUO is ace too - I've not seen that model for a very long time!

@Fanny Crowbar: Another continuation of the last Tale, and still looking amazing. I was planning on using a Raider gunner on a Trueborn Venom at some point, so it's nice to see how effective such a simple conversion/swap looks.

@burni: Good work on the Hellhound. The red/yellow spot colours are very subtle, and I like the non-gold/yellow imperial eagles.

@Jihad_Ragsta: I think your Terminators look fine, and the eyes are very neat (neat as in both tidy and cool). Your BFG stuff looks good too - that Chemical Plant kit seems to get everywhere where Orks are concerned!

@Niveus Procer: Looks like you've had quite a busy month, and still managed to achieve your high target - well done! I think maybe your Rhino could do with a bit of red to tie it in to your Tactical Squad a bit more, and I think that using regular troops with a Legion of the Damned paint scheme is a great idea.

@crandall87: Very impressive Dreadknight. The halberd conversion is very effective and fitting for Grey Knights (as is the alternate head).

@Sycoa: A busy month and looking good so far, looking forward to seeing the whole squad finished.

@matt_17: Lovely work on the Leam Russ. The colour scheme is great, and the weathering is top notch. I love the searchlight too - it looks like an actual torch!

@Thalenchar: Good work on your Commissar. He looks very neat, and the Plasma looks cool too.

@Deusmex: For last years Tale I painted 2000 points of the Cult of the Blade Denied (purple Wyches), so I'm loving your work so far! I like the black/white pants on your Sybarite. Are they going to be the same on all your Wyches, or different colours?

@bleedcrimson: There's nothing wrong with Marines looking too uniform, and yours like just fine. That's probably my favourite Sergeant model too.

@Doi: It's always good to see some Orks, and yours look cool. I love the Nob-in-a-box, such a random yet incredibly Orky looking conversion.

@juxt: Your Guardsmen look like they mean business, and the Sergeant looks annoyed at his flesh wound! I love the Chimera too.

@Hypaspist: Lovely Zoanthropes, and a great Doom conversion. Good luck against DE, just try to keep your bigger beasties away from all their Splinter weapons.

@Terranova: Those are some lovely looking Orks, are they Bad Moons or just a bit yellow? I'll be painting a (Deathskulls) Runtbot later on in the Tale (it's such a fantastic model), so it'll be interesting to see how yours turns out.

@Zujara: A brilliant Command Squad, and their weapons look great in green. The weathering looks awesome too, especially for a first attempt.

@SuperMitch: For your first vehicles ever, they're very good. You've used the SoB bits very well, so that they look unique yet cohesive.

###

We can win back jokers right? (Post double next month?)

Yes, you can win back a Joker if you make up the points (either in one go or gradually) - I've added this to the FAQ's in the first post.

In any case, do we jokers roll a dice as well? Or should we just shut up...?

Feel free to roll a dice and comment accordingly, or just comment on whatever you feel warrants a comment, it's entirely up to you. :)

###

For everyone else who's not posted yet, please try to post in the next couple of days otherwise you'll have to play your first Joker.

As for me, I've been making a start on my Skullhamma. I'm planning to build it all this month, and paint it all next month. So far I've got the main body built, and (hopefully) I'll be adding a Forge World Supa Kannon and 'Orkifying' it later on tonight...

razormasticator
08-10-2011, 11:19
err I fell asleep on the couch. Photos will be up later tonight for sure.

T3h D4ve
08-10-2011, 12:48
Hey guys, sorry but I'm also going to have to use a joker for my first month. Been incredibly busy the past couple of weeks playing an extra on something I'm quite excited about. Also been letting my own work slide the past fortnight.
Got a Ven Dread sitting here partialy painted that I could finish off today/tomorrow if I didn't have work to catch up on (and if I had two more paint pots; don't like, or more can't do, mixing paints) so I'll just make back my joker for the end of October with this dread and either give him a mate or do some smurfs with big guns.
Will be back to comment on others later this evening.

iPaint
08-10-2011, 18:42
Well I got really close to finishing the tanks, but failed on the infantry. SO I'm going to Joker this month and hope I can turn around on some models this month, though my painting time is really starting to shrink after starting a new job.

So, look for me next month with some pics and models finished.

~iPaint

pudsey098
08-10-2011, 19:31
Great to see loads of posts for the Tale, really good range of subjects and some nice painting and conversions. Unfortunately its a joker from me this month as I got too carried away with Dark Eldar testing that I haven't actually done enough for this month

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww298/pudsey098/Dark%20Eldar/Big_Harlequin_by_PabelBilly_2.jpg

Niveus Procer
08-10-2011, 20:15
misterboff thank you for your kind words. i must say im disappointed with my pictures, they show my brush strokes, how ever i did noticed after you pointed it out the lack of red on my rhinos and i couldnt agree more you are right there is no red on them, but i dont see where i could add it do you have any idea's? i was thinking some red script? or maybe the tactical symbol on the doors in red?

misterboff
08-10-2011, 21:11
misterboff thank you for your kind words. i must say im disappointed with my pictures, they show my brush strokes, how ever i did noticed after you pointed it out the lack of red on my rhinos and i couldnt agree more you are right there is no red on them, but i dont see where i could add it do you have any idea's? i was thinking some red script? or maybe the tactical symbol on the doors in red?

I've got a couple of Looted Wagons based on Rhinos, and I painted the recessed parts of the side panels (on your second picture: to the right of your Missile Launcher and above the Marine that's behind your Sergeant) a different colour.

If that seems like too large an area then perhaps the doors (like you suggested) or the top hatch next to the HK?

razormasticator
09-10-2011, 03:22
Need one more day to post the photos. Probably tomorrow am. I have everything done, I just have had alot on my plate this month.

Zujara
09-10-2011, 07:08
Comment time!

@Darnok: Very nice idea, they look great for flesh hounds!

@Monsterzonk: Nice paint scheme, very striking and look great together

@djc: Love the old greater daemon, remind me of when I started playing. Tank is well done too!

@Fanny Crowbar: Great highlighting, love the colours you've used.

@burni: Great looking hellhound, I like the green you went with

@Jihad_Ragsta: I like the effect on the eyes, and your ships look great.

@Niveus Procer: You got lots done, and they all look very good together. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

@crandall87: The converted halberd looks great and the gold really makes the mini stand out.

@Sycoa: That's a lot of death company! Your black armour is really well done, looking forward to seeing more

@matt_17: Great looking camo, you're making me want to paint my Russ next month!

@Thalenchar: Nice clean painting and a good scheme, looking forward to seeing some of his friends

@Deusmex: Love the purple armour you did, one of my favourite Leliths I have seen

@bleedcrimson: Your marines make me nostalgic for when I fist started! Your squad looks great, nice work

@Doi: I love your nob conversion, looks amusing and dangerous! The snow bases are nicely done

@juxt: Very nice crisp painting on the guard. Also like the wheeled chimera

@Hypaspist: Nice looking Zoanthropes, and your Doom conversion is really effective

@Terranova: Great looking Orks, I really like the yellows.

@SuperMitch: Hard to believe they are your first vehicles, they look great! Nice use of bits too

Deusmex
09-10-2011, 07:16
Congrats to all who managed their targets , and to those jokers , I hope circumstances change to allow you to paint this month cos I wanna see more stuff.

A lot of nice armies gonna be done by the end of this Im sure.

@ Misterboff Thanks for taking the time to run this challenge. I saw some of your stuff last year. I did enter this last year intending to do Dark Eldar then. Unfortunately I fell foul of a WoW expansion and got seriously distracted for a while. WoW has been my downfall for many years but lately I have given it up. Im now WoW clean for 3 months. 12 step programmes rock.

The colour scheme on the sybarite will be armywide with minor variations.Some squads having more or less of purple black or white. Wyches will have more black less white, due to large areas of bare skin showing which should help balance the models, likewise hellions.Scourges Im not sure about yet, theyre gonna be interesting to paint I think.

@Darnok , Solid work on the Demons nice shading and the colour scheme is very striking.

@Monsterzonk Classic colour scheme there, and some nice poses, I do like a good auspex marine in a squad. Are you making your own decals ?

@DJC So much I like on this tank from the chipping the plasma coil thingy, but the skulls are exceptional mate very nice.

@Fanny Crowbar very smooth stuff. I dont know how people get that smooth look, mine look rough as a badgers ****.The pilots face is really really nice and you do the pale skin thing well. I couldnt, it didnt feel right when I tried so I went for the Californian look. As a fellow DE er I`ll be watching yours and the others work closely, seeing what Ideas I can steal.

@burni Solid tank . Cant go wrong with classic olive green.

@Jihad_Ragsta Where to start. Well as a fellow Embra person, I reckon we must have bumped into each other at some point over the years. Your scratch built ships always amaze me with how creative you can be with scrap. I never really got into Gothic but the ships all look great. I would buy some if they were bigger for display models. Termies look good too. I have a lot of helmeted heads to do. Im not sure I have the guts to try light effects yet so any advice would be welcome.

@Niveus Procer the army is very striking and will look great on the battlefield.

@Crandall87 Damn that thing is big. Really nice conversion I love the Custodes, look forward to seeing more.

@ Sycoa These look fantastically grim and dark. The DC kit is amazing for creating great looking marines. The details are sweet and plentiful. You dont realise how detailed they are till you have to paint the buggers in my experience.Great start .

@Matt_17 Its been nice to see this tank progressing in the wip thread. The camo is nice but its the details the make it stand out. Loving the searchlight and the optics.

@Raven667 Hmm a weegie... I`ll try and keep it civil. The photies are a bit dark but it all looks good so far. Neat sharp and I do like Ulthwe. I dont think Id call this a joker though, especially since I havent even tried to do bases . Saving up for resin ones, By the end of this month I expect you`ll have saved them and bought the joker back anyway . Good luck mate.

@ Thalenchar Nice Commisar, lighting effects and everything , kudos.

@Bleedcrimson wow oldschool marines. Loving the paradeground look.

@doi Love the "mount" what does it count as? Excuse my ignorance I just have no experience with orks and rarely see them. I think Ive only ever played against them once. :o

@ Juxt Thes are real good. Never seen this chimera conversion before, is it an aftermarket thing or a scratchbuild? Nicely done either way. Might be boring to paint but it looks the part. Hope the guys arm gets better soon.

@Hypaspist Man I hate Zoanthropes. They have caused me untold grief in the past and I always shoot them first on general principles now. Yours look great though. Cant wait to see more. Not more Zoanthropes though cos I hate them.

@Terranova Thats a lot of Orks to paint in a month and the look great too.

@ Zujara I wish I had the money to buy Krieg guard. I like the colours and the mud on the Officers coat tails. The standard looks really good too.

@ Supermitch These look nice The Black red and white combo is always a winner.

I think my hands are gonna fall off now after typing all that.

Darnok
09-10-2011, 09:23
Comments time. :)

@Monsterzonk: A simple, yet striking colour scheme, and well executed. Those look good! While first watching the pictures I thought "wow, dark purple and bone look awesome with these green markings", then realised it was black/white.

@djc: Great to see some unconventional IG. I'm looking forward for your infantry, as there isn't much one can do with a tank. But those shields give it a very chaosy touch. Keep it coming! And that old-school GUO is schweet! Solid painting on a great model. Yes, more daemons. :D:yes:

@Fanny Crowbar: Awesome! Usually I'm not a fan of extreme accents, but the way you did it: awesome. More please.

@burni: Well done. Are those other tanks part of the Tale, or did you paint them just for fun?

@Jihad_Ragsta: Some nice stuff there. The Terminators look a bit "flat", but that might be the picture. I still love your Orks!

@Niveus Procer: Wow, you've got quite a lot done this month. Keep going!

@crandall87: Interesting conversion, well done. That weapon is huge! Does the Knight need to compensate for something? :p

@Sycoa: Crappy picture, but good efforts on those Blood Angels. Now some more red please. ;)

@matt_17: Another IG tank, and with a nice camo scheme. Looking forward to more of this!

@Raven667: Sorry to hear about those basing issues, but what I can make out from the pics looks good.

@Thalenchar: Not much, but nice nonetheless. He looks a bit flat, maybe some washes and/or accents would help. Or is that down to the picture?

[tbc...]

razormasticator
09-10-2011, 14:41
WAAAGHHH GORTEEF A Deff Skulls Log.

Total Painting for September: 300

Die Roll: 6

Units:
Ghazghull Thrakka, 1 Trukk & 1 Rockit Warbuggy.
I have a ton of other WIP’s in progress as well but those will have to wait.

Painting:
So I am using non traditional techniques and I have to say I am pleased with the results. I am working towards getting a solid table top standard as quick as possible. I think its a successful technique and as I said, I am pleased with the results.

Here is the Youtube Video Thoume produced based on the Warseer thread about Fun with Washes: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...209588&page=14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5mcpGhUJzM

I am using Scab Red, Thrakka Green Wash, Devlan Mud wash, Vallejo Sky Blue, various GW paints for hoses etc. a Scorpion Green Drybrush for highlight, MIG pigments for the rust, with a touch of solar macharius orange super watered down.

Basing:
Scorched brown, Snakebite leather brown.. highlight of graveyard earth. Dead Static Grass.

Still to Do:
Dull cote

Highs and Lows:

High:
A lot of work in a short period of time.

Lows:
Not getting my photos up in time, this stuff has been done for a week. Life has gotten in the way.

Next Month: 20 Boyz at least, 1 Wartrakk Skorcha… and whatever else strikes my fancy.

and now... photos:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/colddawn71/DA%20Orks/DSC_0004.jpg
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/colddawn71/DA%20Orks/DSC_0006.jpg

Trukk
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/colddawn71/DA%20Orks/DSC_0015.jpg
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/colddawn71/DA%20Orks/DSC_0019.jpg

Buggy:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/colddawn71/DA%20Orks/DSC_0007.jpg
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/colddawn71/DA%20Orks/DSC_0009.jpg

vcassano
09-10-2011, 15:22
Celeritas Infenso, Grey Knights by vcassano: September 2011 (D6 roll = 3)

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j345/DeanElMachine/DSCN0098.jpg

MONTHLY TOTAL: 185 points
TOTAL TO DATE: 185 points

BACKGROUND/THEME:

UNIT(S):
5 Purifiers, 4-psycannons and 1 Justicar with Nemesis Force Halberd

BUILD/CONVERSIONS:
Standard stuff, justicar's arms have since been attached!

PAINTING/BASING:
Simple stuff, metallics layered with washes of blue and black.

STILL TO DO:
Add more to the squad!

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: Getting a really efficient paint scheme worked out very early.
Lows: Painted a Castellan Crowe model and the sword snapped in transit!

NEXT MONTH:
More Grey Knights/Purifiers

punkfish
09-10-2011, 21:18
Punkfish - Imperial Guard Veterans - D6 roll = 2

First off, apologies for getting Sept's pics up late, for some reason I thought I had until the 10th :angel:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6119/6227406211_cf042bc0f5_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6154/6227406359_aec1a069a4_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6105/6227925358_20a94d47ca_z.jpg

MONTHLY TOTAL: 160ish points
TOTAL TO DATE: 160ish points

BACKGROUND/THEME:

UNIT(S):
Arbites (counts as IG Veteran Squad with grenadier doctrine)

BUILD/CONVERSIONS:
Standard stuff

PAINTING/BASING:
Black armour with red spot colours. Urban topped basing with edges coloured to match Blood Angel army

STILL TO DO:
Add some static grass/rubble to the bases

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: finding a paint scheme that worked
Lows: Getting some of the models to stay glued together.

NEXT MONTH:
A squadron of armoured Sentinels.

Niveus Procer
10-10-2011, 07:12
Darnok i love the models the look good
Monsterzonk its good to see you exceeded your goal they look good aswell love the green eyes!
djc love the shields on this tank, i will admit you probably spent more time on these two models then i did my ten marines
Fanny Crowbar i love this paint sceme it just looks awesome i will probably steel your highlight aproch for my tau army
burni tanks for me are extreamly time consuming it looks great!
Jihad_Ragsta your terminators look awesome, i have honestly never seen ork bfg ships pretty cool and the imperial cruiser looks great to!
Niveus Procer i will coment on myself, marines should be blue i need to take more time per model and slow down at least with the detail i was tring the dirty look
crandall87 this thing is awesome. i love it! honestly i do great colour combo too i would have never picked it but it looks great together
Sycoa, they look great i've seen plan blak armour but what you tried worked well its black but it has a nicer tone to it
matt_17 looks great i cant pull off a paint sceme like that great work
Raven667 what you have up looks great! i feel out matched in the painter relm
Thalenchar , i love the look it feels early americain to me, but the emperor is false its for the greater good!
Deusmex just simplily great!
bleedcrimson, they look great i had a simular sceme i was going to do for marines but i couldnt pull it off and i love the 2nd edition sergeant
Doi orkz! da red ones do go fasta! prety cool conversion later in the year when i start some orkish stuff i have a neat conversion for a mek/big mec from a deff kopta
juxt you should make some stop-motion films with these guys! sweet deal
Hypaspist i assume that Sargassus is like the doom of malonti, i must say i have seen some people go over board with this conversion and yours is one of the best's i have seen!
Terranova, did you get your name from the new show?.ii like the colou r combo i dont htink i have seen yellow and blue together it looks great!
Zujara i like this alot i'm going to copy it when i get to guard!.
SuperMitch the detail work you have put into it is amazing!
misterboff you can ask razormasticator about my skull hamma's, lets just say they where not as sweet as yours are looking to be! just remember its a "fast tank"
razormasticator its sad it took you so long to post you where done before me basicly..... shame shame shame, other wise your orkz out class mine in painting style.i mean thiers no comparison..
vcassano this could just be me but is one guy missing arms? but impressive work!
punkfish i like i do ido, does the riot shiled come with the squad box set?

Sorry for my spelling, and sorry for the tardiness of my comments, i am out classed in this forum for sure but i'll catch up!.

Mini77
10-10-2011, 10:20
Gonna have to Joker this month. I just haven't had the time to get a measly two Terminators finished.

Thalenchar
10-10-2011, 21:18
Comment Time! Finally some time after a busy weekend to do this.

@Darnok: What a great idea to use those models as Flesh Hounds. With that scheme it actually works better than I would have initially thought.
@Monsterzonk: Crisp white, non-flat black and great basing. Basically everything I like in a well-painted miniature, and you did a whole squad! Good stuff.
@DJC (Guard): Cool theme and a cool tank. I like it a lot!
@DJC (Daemons): Thatís one of my favourite old models. Great job painting it like you have!
@Fanny Crowbar: Very well done colour scheme, an army like this will look absolutely stunning. And I am particularly impressed with the Truebornís skin. Excellent work.
@Burni: Lots of vehicles and well done. Very neat and I like the markings as well.
@Jihad_Ragsta: Very nice work on a relatively simple paint scheme. The lighting effects look great on the metal helmets! Is it me or is it really sharper on the sergeantís helmet?
@Niveus Procer: Good job on finishing that lot! It does look like some of the bases could do with another coat of white?
@Crandall87: A very cool theme! And that sure is a lot of gold on that model. Very fitting, just wasnít expecting it! Love the base.
@Sycoa: Very cool Death Company. Very dark and gritty. What are you going to do for bases? Will be a great unit once finished.
@Matt_17: Very, very nice Tank. As Iím doing Guard for the Tale too, Iím keeping a special eye on the other Guard armies here. Very good start on yours here.

PAGE 2:
@Thalenchar (aka me!): Try taking better pics next time. And finish that darn coat already!
@Deusmex: That is a very nice shade of purple you have there. Combines with the skin really well. Have you decided which bases youíll use yet?
@Bleedcrimson: Ah yes, those marines bring back memories. Great to see those again. And nicely painted as well! Good job. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the bases!
@Doi: A very cool conversion to set the Nob apart from other Nobs and a great way to individualize a unit Orks. The snow on the bases looks great. Saw it on your sorceress in the Fantasy Tale as well. Good stuff.
Juxt: Yay, more guard! Nice variation on the Cadian Scheme, very well executed. The tank looks really good too!
@Hypaspist: These look great, but I could probably say a bit more about them if they were better lit. What I can see is very good though!
@Terranova: Those orks look really good, and I like the bases. If youíre whole army turns out like this itís going to look great!
@Zujara: Those Krieg look very dirty and gritty, just like they are supposed to. Well done!
@Supermitch: Congrats on finishing the vehicles. Glad the Tale helps! Very nicely detailed and canít wait to see what goes in them.
PAGE 3:
@Razormasticator: Iíd say this is very high table top standard. Excellent work on them. How long did it take you to do the Big Ork Chief?
@Vcassano: Pic is a bit blurry, but the unit is looking good!
@Punkfish: Arbites! I love those models and always wish Iíd bought some of those when I had the money for them. Ah well, guess Iíll do my own variation on them. Not to give too much away, but if everything goes according to plan, you should definitely keep an eye on my entries in about 6 months or so ;) The painting is very well done and the bases look really good too. Well done!

Comments on Comments:
@Misterboff: Thanks, not too pleased with the plasma myself yet, but will try and make it beter!
@Zujara: Thanks a lot! Youíll have to wait a month longer to see his friends, first up is some mechanical support!
@Deusmex: Thank you, sir!
@Darnok: Itís partially down to the pic, and partially down to the fact I havenít finished the coat enough yet. I always worry about over-highlighting black because I donít want it to turn too light. But Iíll get back to it and make it nicer, thatís for sure!
@Niveus Procer: Thanks a lot! Oh and donít feel outclassed. The tale is an excellent way of improving your skills, and youíll see yourself get better in no time!

Keep up the good work, guys!

Raven667
10-10-2011, 23:18
As I had to play a joker this month, I felt I should comment on everyone who was able to finish their lot on time
Comments:
@Darnok Like the hounds, the red and green is very striking can't wait to see more!
@Monsterzonk An interesting chapter, will we see a chapter symbol?
@djc Like the tank! Nice and corrupt! Ditto for the Daemon
@Fanny Crowbar Very nice Dark Eldar, consider the skin recipy stolen ;) how did you get the highlights so sharp?
@burni I like the clean military look of the tank, the green is very smooth!
@Jihad Ragsta I guess they are ok..being from Edinburgh :p But seriously like the OLS on the eyes, really makes them stand out! And yes my pics were dark, but it is Scotland!
@Niveus Procer A very vibrant choice of colour, the marines look good, but to avoid the brush strokes use thinned paint and many layers. Or do what I do, cheat and use black!
@Crandall Nice, very nice!
@Sycoa They look good, don't think I'd want to be facing them!
@Matt Very nice tank! Good camo effect
@Thalenchar One of my favourite models! He looks good!
@Deusmex Very bold scheme for the Dark Eldar, Lelith is impressive
@bleedcrimson Those models bring back memories! Look great too!
@Doi Totally digging the orks, nicely painted and well converted.
@Juxt Really cool chimera and squad, are you going to add some squad markings?
@Hypaspist Nice nids, can't wait to see more!
@Terranova My hat is off to you, I gave up on orks after the first twenty!
@Zujara Great models painted well, what else can I say? :D
@SuperMitch Impressive rhinos, hope to see their occupants soon!
@razormasticator Never seen that colour combination for orks, but it works well!
@vcassano Cool grey knights, looking forward to more.
@Punkfish Good choice in models, and very nicely painted, really like the visors.

Finally, Misterboff thank you for running this thread!

matt_17
11-10-2011, 09:53
Right, so... commets time.

misterboff - Cool ork. The two tones on the face must have taken some skill to get right, nicely done.

Darnok - Excellent flesh hounds... what models are they? I don't recognise them, but they look awesome.

Monsterzonk - Black and white marines. Classic and striking when you get it right, greyscale mess when you get it wrong. You, sir, have gotten it right. Specially like the white faces on black helmets.

djc - CHAOS PLASMA TANK! The bone on the shields is very nicely done indeed. The great unclean one is cool too.

Fanny Crowbar - The glowy blue highlighting on the armour here is hugely effective. One of my favourite submissions this month.

burni - Flame tank... matches your usename, lol. Simple, but effective paint scheme that is well executed. Well done.

Jihad_Ragsta - I wish all my paint scheme's that didn't work out looked as good as those termies. The spaceships, imperial and not a cool too.

Niveus Procer - Blue marines. Its been a long time since I've seen actual blue marines - makes me happy.

crandall87 - SO MUCH GOLD. Its perfectly fitting, for Custodes, but I wasn't quite expecting it. I look forward to where the rest of this armies going.

Sycoa - Black, red and menacing. All one needs from the Death Company. Nicely done.

Thalenchar - I like. He looks as angry as a commisar should be.

Deusmex - The purple armous is very nicely done and I really like the way you've done the flesh.

Bleedcrimson - I actually love how the whole squad is almost entirely uniform except the sergeant, who is busy striking an epic pose.

Doi - Hit things with the choppa, squish them with the claw or ride over them in his own personalised mini tank... apparently that nob likes to keep his options open, as all good nobs should.

juxt - Very, very nice squad. And the wheeled chimera is magnificent - where did you get the APC conversion kit you use on it? Another of my favourite submissions for the month.

Hypaspist - AH! Its the DOOM! RUN! God, I hate that thing... not yours specifically, mind. Yours looks great... I've just had some... um... bad experiences with the doom. Very bad.

Terranova - A giant crowd of actually, fully, well painted orks is a great site. Well done.

Zujara - Those dudes are sweet. A paint job to match the quality of the models themselves. And I feel for any tank that gets too close.

Supermitch - Nice tanks. I like the uniformity of the two vehicles, without them being 100% identical. You can tell that they're from the same army, but they're still unique vehicles.

razormasticator - Finally someone else who rolled 6! And it happened to be on some of the best painted orks I've seen for a while. I especially like how most of the stuff is rusted and worn, but not so much so that you can't see when it would have looked like new. The green you've got going for the ork's skin is really effective.

vacassano - Pity about the blurry picture, because from what I can tell the squad looks quite nicely done.

punkfish - What are those models? I ask because they're awesome - your paint job on them is top notch too.

bleedcrimson
11-10-2011, 11:09
Thanx for the great responses everyone, i have another squad of 2nd edition marines i'll be painting up. Still undecided about how to base them. Dunno whether to use modelling sand to stick with the desert them or whether to use stone and sand and drybrush it grey(which i think will match the colour scheme more)

Will comment on everyones pics later if i get chance lol

Darnok
11-10-2011, 12:00
Darnok - Excellent flesh hounds... what models are they? I don't recognise them, but they look awesome.

Chaos Warhounds (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440109a&prodId=prod1570038) from the Fantasy WoC range. In my opinion the look way better than the abominations that are the current Flesh Hounds. And I prefer plastic. And they cost only a third of the original models, which helps as well. :D

razormasticator
11-10-2011, 14:08
Comments time for the 6's...:

@ matt_17: I like your camo scheme on your tanks. The weathering is subtle yet effective. I really like how you handled the dust and the mud around the tracks.

@ thalenchar: I love the white pants, very formal yet a perfect contrast to the black coat. I also like the OSL on the plasma gun. well executed.

and a few other honorable mentions...

@ darnok... love those models and the scheme!

@ djc.. glad to see you back with the beast guard. LOVE the orange plasma and the goats head shield.

@ Fanny... great work as always Mate!

@ Niveus Procer: considering all thats on your plate, you got alot done. I like the blue and the subtle skin tone. Models look better in person! Keep up the good work Bro.

@ Doi, .love those Orks, love the NOB... sick!

@ juxt, good looking guard. Like the Alt Chimera alot.

@ Hypaspist, i really like your color scheme, its subtle and effective.

@ Terranova... great Orks man. Very well painted. you should be proud!

@ Zujara... always good to see Krieg, and I especially like the Green weapons etc.

@ punkfish... DUDE, your Arbites RULE... love the black and they are very well painted. Love the models too, always have.

If I didn't comment on your work, I will be sure to next month. There were only 3 of us who rolled a 6.
Thanks for those who commented on my work and to answer the questions people asked me...

@ Thalenchar.. I would say all told from start to finish Ghazzy took about 2 hours maybe... But thats pretty good IMO I am a notoriously slow painter.

@ Raven.. thanks, I was influenced by some Orks I have seen elsewhere. They used a light blue, but not a scab red secondary color.

@ matt_17. thanks man! High praise and much appreciated.

Monsterzonk
11-10-2011, 16:27
@Monsterzonk: Nice looking Space Marines, I've always liked black/white colour scheme (Black Templars, Goffs and Ulthwť spring to mind). I really like their two-tone helmets.

@Monsterzonk: Nice paint scheme, very striking and look great together

@Monsterzonk Classic colour scheme there, and some nice poses, I do like a good auspex marine in a squad. Are you making your own decals ?

@Monsterzonk: A simple, yet striking colour scheme, and well executed. Those look good! While first watching the pictures I thought "wow, dark purple and bone look awesome with these green markings", then realised it was black/white.

Monsterzonk its good to see you exceeded your goal they look good aswell love the green eyes!

@Monsterzonk: Crisp white, non-flat black and great basing. Basically everything I like in a well-painted miniature, and you did a whole squad! Good stuff.

@Monsterzonk An interesting chapter, will we see a chapter symbol?

Monsterzonk - Black and white marines. Classic and striking when you get it right, greyscale mess when you get it wrong. You, sir, have gotten it right. Specially like the white faces on black helmets.

Thanks for the comments everyone! :)

For the Chapter symbol, I thinking along the lines of a sun or maybe a torch. Bringing the light to the unfaithful... I intend to make my own decals, or maybe commission them, since I only got a black and white laser printer, and I want the Chapter symbol to be deep red, probably...

I don't have the time to comment on you guys' work at the moment, but I'll do it shortly! I'm seeing some really great stuff in this thread!

Cheers,
Monsterzonk :skull:

punkfish
11-10-2011, 20:12
@Darnok: Very nice idea, they look great for flesh hounds!

@Monsterzonk: Love the colour scheme - I like the ideas for the chapter badge

@djc: Great old school Greater Daemon, love the tank - nice use of orange plasma

@Fanny Crowbar: Clean, crisp highlighting, colour scheme works really well.

@burni: Nice tank.

@Jihad_Ragsta: How'd you do the blue eyes?

@Niveus Procer: You've been busy! The army will look very striking. If I may be so bold as to add some constructive criticism, have you tried thinning your paints? It can really improve your painting in leaps and bounds. Congrats on the upcoming nuptials, I hope you both have a great day.

@crandall87: I've always had a soft spot for Custodes armies so I'll be keeping an eye on yours. I'd recommend some directed washes on the metallics, try and weather them a bit and that'll make the mini really pop.

@Sycoa: Nice to see a fellow BA player. Good looking DC

@matt_17: Love the camo, love the weathering, thanks for the guide to painting it, if you don't mind, I'll nick that method.

@Thalenchar: Like the colour scheme - can't wait to see what's next

@Deusmex: I like the purple armour, it really works with the pale skin

@bleedcrimson: I really like your chapter scheme. Nice and neat

@Doi: I don't know why but your Nob conversion made me laugh. Really inventive use of parts.

@juxt: I really like the Chimera conversion, how'd you do it?

@Hypaspist: Gribbly Tyranids. Good colour scheme. I like.

@Terranova: Great looking Orks.

@SuperMitch: Nice use of bits, good colour scheme

@Razor_Masticator - I'm really liking those Orks. Great colour scheme.

@ punkfish... DUDE, your Arbites RULE... love the black and they are very well painted. Love the models too, always have.

Thanks buddy - I've had them sitting around my bits box for years and I thought they'd look good in the Guard Army I've been planning.

punkfish - What are those models? I ask because they're awesome - your paint job on them is top notch too.

These are old Necromunda Enforcer/Arbites models from the Specialist games range. I'm not sure if GW still sell them, you might be able to pick them up from Ebay though. Thanks for the kind words, I'm a big fan of your Russ.

@Punkfish: Arbites! I love those models and always wish Iíd bought some of those when I had the money for them. Ah well, guess Iíll do my own variation on them. Not to give too much away, but if everything goes according to plan, you should definitely keep an eye on my entries in about 6 months or so ;) The painting is very well done and the bases look really good too. Well done!

Cheers dude, I've had them for years, bought them on an impulse when they first came out. I'll keep an eye on your entries, will be nice to see what you've got planned.

punkfish i like i do ido, does the riot shiled come with the squad box set?

The boxed set had a variety of different weapons and it came with at least two, possibly three riot shields.

Apologies if I've missed anyone out, I'll do my best to add to the comments as and when I've got a bit more time, but thanks again for the kind comments.

Ragsta
12-10-2011, 21:53
@djc - I really like that tank - the Chaos bitz don't look silly (many attempts do but this is pimp) and it's a nice paintjob you've achieved.
@bleedcrimson - Awesome, another metallic Marine army! :D The paintjobs look nice and neat and I like the strong colours you've chosen. I think the chest eagles would look good in gold but hey! just my 2 pence. I'm lookinfgforward to seeing them based - might I suggest black rims to make the silver and red 'pop?' I think grey bases would work better, with you on that.
@misterboff - Thank you for the kind words! I'm glad the eyes have come across well - it's something I'd like to do more of. Looking forward to seeing more of your Ork warmachine ;)
@Zujara - Thank you! And a great start to your Death Korps by the way - I like the choice of colours and the carefull muddying of their coats is a nice touch.
@Deusmex - Oho, another Edinburger eh? Do you frequent the GW anymore? Currently I am on contract in London but looking forward to coming back - perhaps we could get a game in with our Tale armies! The light sourcing is actually rather crude - I will try and get a tutorial up! Your DE are looking good - really like Lelith. Perhaps some lighter strokes of red on her hair to make them look more 'strandlike?'
@Thalenchar - Yes, the sarge's helmet did not work out quite as well as his squaddies did. I should have watered down my paints alot more.
@Punkfish - blue eye tutorial to follow! I hope Gomez doesn't read this as he's been nagging me to do one for ages!!

Thanks for all the comments guys - everything is looking great.

Green Feevah!
12-10-2011, 23:38
Sorry for posting so late. Just a reminder of my last month's work:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/mfostkd/Eldar018.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/mfostkd/Eldar019.jpg

This month I'm working on a butt load of Guardians. I have no pictures yet as they are soaking in simple green right now. I'll post something as soon as I have a chance to get moving on them.

I'll also post some comments later today I hope. Things have been a scramble lately.

MalusCalibur
12-10-2011, 23:57
Apologies for being so late, but I had a sudden departure from painting for a while and had to power through the end of my monthly entry.

'42nd Mordecai' Imperial Guard

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/MalusCalibur/CompanyCommand3.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/MalusCalibur/CompanyCommand5.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/MalusCalibur/InfantrySquadA-11.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/MalusCalibur/InfantrySquadA-12.png

Monthly Total: 175 points [Target: 200]
Overall Total: 175 [Target: 200]
Jokers: 0

Background
'The 42nd Mordecai are a regiment renowned for one thing...each man is not expected to outlast his lasgun'

Units
Company Command Squad
-General with Power Weapon
-Vox Caster
-Medic
-Regimental Standard
-Veteran with Sniper Rifle
115pts

Infantry Squad
-Vox Caster
-Grenade Launcher
60pts

Build/Conversions
The CCs is straight out of the box except for the General, who has a sword from an Empire Knight and a Green Stuff moustache.
The Infantry Squad sergeant has a similar moustache.

Painting/Basing
Skin: Dheneb Stone washed with Ogryn Flesh, then highlighted with Dheneb Stone again, then lightly washed with Ogryn Flesh again.
Armour/General's Coat: Dark Angels Green, edges highlighted with Snot Green.
Fatigues: Adeptus Battlegrey, highlighted with Codex Grey then washed with Badab Black.
Imperial Eagles: Dheneb Stone, washed with Ogryn Flesh, Bleached Bone, then washed with Devlan Mud.
Guns, Boots: Chaos Black, metal parts picked out with Boltgun Metal, then washed with Badab Black.
Bases: Two coats of Scorched Brown, then static grass and a mixture of flock and sand are glued on with PVA.

Still To Do
Fortunately nothing.

Highs and Lows
Highs: The ordinary Guardsmen are pleasantly easy to paint, on the whole. Painting lots of them shouldn't be a problem.
Lows: Vox units. There are lots of fiddly little metal details as well as tiny cables both on the units themselves and on the helmets that go with them, as well as my (brilliant) decision to paint them a different shade of green to the armour, which adds a tonne of painting time. Also, the General's head broke off and his body went missing for about five hours one night.

Next Month
If all goes to plan, a Commissar Lord and another Infantry Squad.

Jonahmaul
13-10-2011, 15:14
Hey folks, haven't taken pictures yet but I will do that soon and will have internet again from Monday (finally/hopefully) so will get my pictures up. Probably some terminators for next month as I've not started painting anything yet so need something that doesn't take too long!

Niveus Procer
13-10-2011, 18:33
misterboff i did consider what you propose and im not 100% on it it might be to many bright colors but i'll try it on my rhino i paint this month

razormasticator
13-10-2011, 19:11
@ Green Feevah thats one Migh T Fine looking Eldrad.

matt_17
13-10-2011, 19:55
@matt_17: Love the camo, love the weathering, thanks for the guide to painting it, if you don't mind, I'll nick that method.

I don't mind at all. In fact, I'm honoured someone thinks its good enough to nick.

Anyway, since this is supposed to be a WIP thread now. Here's my executioner as of a few days ago.

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff347/teh_q21/executioner2.jpg

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff347/teh_q21/Executioner1.jpg

Even though its still only on step 1 of 11, time wise, it's about a third finished here.

Thalenchar
13-10-2011, 20:41
@Matt_17: Looking good so far. I always like it when a model has all the basic work on it and I can go add details and depth. I'm doing a regular Russ for this month, but it'll look very different from yours :p I'll see if I can post some WIP shots tomorrow. Keep up the good work!

@MalusCalipur: nice moustache :p I like the dark green armour plates as well. Good stuff :) Also, nice to see another Guard army in the tale!

@ Green Feevah!: Very nicely done, sir. Good freehand. Not an easy model to paint since you have such a limited palate of colours. But it looks ace.

EffCee
13-10-2011, 21:31
Comments for my fellow 4's:

@Darnok - Great Flesh Hounds, miles better than the current models.
@Monsterzonk - great painting and fab bases!
@Deusmex - Love the purple and bronze armour, very effective!
@Terranova - Great Orks! Looking forward to the Deffkopta.

Replies:

@Misterboff - Thanks! I'm toying with the idea of Wrack crew for a Raider.
@Zujara - Thanks mate!
@Deusmez - Thanks! Steal away :D I just thin the paint for a smooth finish.
@Darnok - Cheers! I think that Dark Eldar lend themselves well to extreme highlights. I probably wouldn't use them for most of my other armies though.
@Niveus Procer - Thanks!
@Thalenchar - Thanks! There is an army shot in my Dark Eldar painting log linked in my sig.
@Raven667 - Thanks! Thin paint and steady hands is how I get my sharp highlights.
@Matt_17 - Wow! Thanks for the compliment :)
@razormasticator - Cheers! Good to see a familiar face :D
@punkfish - Thanks!

Mini77
14-10-2011, 00:36
Though I didn't have any finished work to show for Month 1 I'm on course to get two squads finished this month and buy that Joker back! In addition to the Terminators I'm currently working on a Scout squad;

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh16/mini77bucket/001-4.png http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh16/mini77bucket/002-5.png

Panzer MkIV
14-10-2011, 01:17
My painting went well last month: finished my Trukk Boyz mob (sans Trukk) and an Imperial guard squad minus one (my test model has been FUBARed)

For this month I'm working on some vehicles: a couple of Killa Kans and a Chimera.

Unfortunately my camera is also FUBAR but I'll get a new one in a couple of weeks so I'll post the pictures of September and October then.

So...should I use a joker for this month?

Green Feevah!
14-10-2011, 01:32
I rolled a 2 for commenting, so here are my comments for my fellow 2's:

@Sycoa - Your Death Company is dark and Gritty It works very well. Can't wait to see where you take the army next.
@Doi - I love your conversion, simple and effective. Your army has a great clean look to them, and your dark palette makes them menacing. Great work!

Also, I see I got got put down for a joker, even though I finished early last month. If I'm going to get joker'd for not posting within a certain few days, then I'll probably have to drop out of the contest, since I'll be gone for the first half of November, and won't be able to post again.

Deusmex
14-10-2011, 14:08
Some late pictures

@Razormasticator Nice orks the truck is very well done.

@vcassano Solid start to your Grey Knights pics a bit blurry though.

@Punkfish Nice squad of arbites? vets there Very neat and sharp. Love the cybermastiff.

@Grenfeevah . Very very nice job on Eldrad. The freehand on the back is stunning.

@Maluscalibur I like the colour scheme and the shoulders are neat too. Loving the moustachioed Sergeant.

Thanks all for the comments so far. I have my Scourges built and primed and the warriors are basecoated hopefully get some wip shots up over the weekend.
@Jihadragsta I dont play much these days but I used to frequent the Edinburgh shop a lot maybe 5 or 6 years back with my Salamanders. oh and Challenge accepted :)

@thanlenchar Im pretty much decided on the Microart studios bases for these guys, they do look really nice. But then so do the Voodoo ones. Damn Im so indecisive.

misterboff
15-10-2011, 11:11
So...should I use a joker for this month?

You don't have to post pictures when you submit your entry (it's just heavily encouraged), so you could always post up your details/points and add pictures in later to save you a Joker.

Also, I see I got got put down for a joker, even though I finished early last month. If I'm going to get joker'd for not posting within a certain few days, then I'll probably have to drop out of the contest, since I'll be gone for the first half of November, and won't be able to post again.

I just put everyone that hadn't posted down as playing a Joker, but you did get him finished in (plenty of) time, so I've updated your entry with his 210 points.

###

I've nearly finished assembling my Skullhamma (no new pics yet though), I just need to bulk up the mount for the Supa Kannon that I'm using. I had to pin it in 3 places and it's still not very sturdy, so I think I'm going to use some spare Stompa spikes (the girder looking ones) to hopefully keep it in place.

Also, we've only one Necron painter this year (razcalking - 400 points), so if anyone else reading this thread has seen the new stuff and wants to join in there's still time - just post to let me know!

Shnerg
15-10-2011, 19:35
Can I withdraw my Eldar and Orks? I don't have enough time to do those too.

And I'ma have to play a joker this month. Next month though, I am to get one back by painting some normal marines and a Libby. And perhaps some Devastators. Dunnoe.

Thalenchar
15-10-2011, 21:04
Also, we've only one Necron painter this year (razcalking - 400 points), so if anyone else reading this thread has seen the new stuff and wants to join in there's still time - just post to let me know!

Do Not Tempt Me! :p

I'm already looking to see if I should join with another (small) force to get rid of more of the unpainted backlog I have, and I do have some necrons lying about... But I've already commited to painting 150 pts Guard here and 400 pts over in the Fantasy Tale, per month. So I shouldn't, really... Right? Although, how hard is it to paint models metal each month..?

Argh!

Just don't tempt me!

TheMaster
16-10-2011, 04:39
I've been sick this month so i'll have to pull out a joker :(

Doomseer
16-10-2011, 10:32
@Misterboff - I'll have to withdraw my pledge for 2K of Tyranids due to the upcoming Necron releases! I would therefore like to replace my 2k of 'nids with 1k of Necrons if that's ok please?

Doi
16-10-2011, 23:53
Comments time!

PAGE 1

@ Darnok: Are the other Gods going to be in such bright colours as well? It will certainly make for one eye-catching army!

@ Monsterzonk: Very nice! Is there any reasoning behind the choice of green for the knee pads?

@ djc (Beastmen IG): Well this is certainly going to be an army for me to watch. Which Beastmen kit is the big shield with the skull on it from? It isnít one I remember seeing before.

@ djc (DoC): I really like the cartoonish scheme youíve gone for. The tongue in particular is very well done.

@ Fanny Crowbar: Excellent work. I might have to steal your skin recipe when I finally get around to working on my Dark Eldar (next Tale maybe...)

@ burni: You might use a simple painting method but the results speak for themselves! Great work.

@ Jihad_Ragsta: Nice work. I really like the glowing eyes on the termies although the effect looks a little bit off on the one with the red helmet (I think it might be because it is so stark a contrast. Maybe donít highlight it quite as much as you would on the silver helmets?))

@ Niveus Procer: Thatís certainly a lot of models painted this month!

@ crandall87: That Custodeís Dreadknight is stunning!

@ Sycoa: That Mordian Blue/Chaos Black mix worked really. Looks a lot better than straight up Chaos Black.

@ matt_17: Nice work. What did you use for the rolled up camo netting?

PAGE 2

@ Thalenchar: Very nice. I donít think the lighting effect on the plasma pistol is that bad, maybe just add another highlight on the coils?

@ Deusmex: You donít see very many Dark Eldar with tanned skin! A nice change from all of the pale skin tones, good job.

@ bleedcrimson: Nice work. What have you got planned for your basing scheme?

@ juxt: Excellent paint jobs! What APC conversion kit did you use on the Chimera?

@ Hypaspist: Really nice work. The subtle Doom conversion works really well!

@ Terranova: Everything looks nice but it is hard to comment on anything specific with such small pictures. I will say, however, that I donít envy painting that much yellow!

@ Zujara: Great work. The banner is really eye-catching.

PAGE 3

@ SuperMitch: The banners look really cool. A very nice touch.

@ razormasticator: That is certainly a unique blue for a Death Skulls force, a nice change from the usual darker blue fare.

@ vcassano: Is the armour white or silver? It looks very good but it hard to tell from the picture.

@ punkfish: Very cool. Have you got more Arbite models coming or are you basic troopers normal IG models?

@ Green Feevah!: That is an excellent Farseer. Iím loving the armour colour scheme.

@ MalusCalibur: Very nice, I really like the green youíve picked for the armour.

@Doi: It's always good to see some Orks, and yours look cool. I love the Nob-in-a-box, such a random yet incredibly Orky looking conversion.

@Doi: I love your nob conversion, looks amusing and dangerous! The snow bases are nicely done

Thanks!

@doi Love the "mount" what does it count as? Excuse my ignorance I just have no experience with orks and rarely see them. I think Ive only ever played against them once. :o

It counts as if he was on foot. I just did it because I thought it looks cool :p.

Doi orkz! da red ones do go fasta! prety cool conversion later in the year when i start some orkish stuff i have a neat conversion for a mek/big mec from a deff kopta

That Mek conversion sounds very cool, I can't wait to see it!

@Doi: A very cool conversion to set the Nob apart from other Nobs and a great way to individualize a unit Orks. The snow on the bases looks great. Saw it on your sorceress in the Fantasy Tale as well. Good stuff.

@Doi Totally digging the orks, nicely painted and well converted.

Thanks!

Doi - Hit things with the choppa, squish them with the claw or ride over them in his own personalised mini tank... apparently that nob likes to keep his options open, as all good nobs should.

I'm quite fond of cut off an arm with the choppa, cut him in half with the klaw and then run over the remains with the tank :shifty:.

@ Doi, .love those Orks, love the NOB... sick!

@Doi: I don't know why but your Nob conversion made me laugh. Really inventive use of parts.

@Doi - I love your conversion, simple and effective. Your army has a great clean look to them, and your dark palette makes them menacing. Great work!

Thanks!

Doi

Thalenchar
17-10-2011, 10:01
Time for my WiP!

One Leman Russ and a little guy to help with keeping the Russ going. Donīt be fooled by the paint on the tank, it will get a completely new paintjob for this army. And obviously the servitor will need friends, but thatīs for another month.

matt_17
17-10-2011, 10:01
@ matt_17: Nice work. What did you use for the rolled up camo netting.

Thanks. The camo net is a piece of bamboo cut to size (though you could use anything cylindrical, hard and appropriate diameter) to give the shape with a strip of gauss wrapped around it a few times to get the right texture.

Aenarion
17-10-2011, 19:00
Misterboff, I seem to be on your list twice :0 Scary thought. Can I change my dark angels to blood angels? I have a few half started bits I can finish off and a lots built/unbuilt I really should get on with.

misterboff
17-10-2011, 22:36
Can I withdraw my Eldar and Orks?

I would therefore like to replace my 2k of 'nids with 1k of Necrons if that's ok please?

Can I change my dark angels to blood angels?

All done guys!

Zujara
18-10-2011, 00:15
More comments!

@razormasticator: Great looking Orks, interesting colours you used they work very well!

@vcassano: Nice start for your army,photo is a bit blurry but I like what I can make out!

@punkfish: Love the arbites, great idea to use them as veterans. I love your blacks!

@Green Feevah!: Gorgeously painted Eldrad, I really like the freehand on the cape.

@MalusCalibur: I really like the green armour on your guardsmen, really good highlighting

Here's my WIP so far this month, a Platoon Command Squad and an Infantry Squad, plus a view of my cluttered desk!
http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af182/Zujara/Krieg/tofp2011month2wip.jpg

punkfish
18-10-2011, 17:12
@ punkfish: Very cool. Have you got more Arbite models coming or are you basic troopers normal IG models?

Thanks buddy,

I do have some of the older Arbite models but only 5 of them. With the current IG Codex, I'm struggling to find a place for them in the army. In terms of the force as a whole, it'll be a Veteran/Storm trooper heavy force as I envisage the army as being part of a commissarat provost regiment. Where the more basic infantry are concerned though, they'll be Pretorians painted in an appropriate colour scheme to make them look like Constables.

More comments!

@punkfish: Love the arbites, great idea to use them as veterans. I love your blacks!

Thanks dude, I've had the models for years and have always wanted to fit them into an army.

Anyway, WIP time, this month I've committed to painting a squadron of armoured Sentinels. As they stand, I've only done the first basecoats. The main armour colour will be black with red and yellow spot colours.

Pics below

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6107/6257497903_1437f0834a_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6056/6258099368_d0928f6554_z.jpg

Thanks for the positive comments so far.

crandall87
18-10-2011, 19:00
Onto this months WIP. It's a Custodes Venerable Dreadnought, based on this artwork piece:

http://leagueofextraordinarygamers.co.uk/images/Adeptus_Custodes_Dreadnought.jpg

http://leagueofextraordinarygamers.co.uk/images/custodes_dread_1.JPG

Ragsta
18-10-2011, 20:12
That's a promising looking piece, crandall. Are you able to tilt the torso forward slightly so he looks like he's leaning in? That strikes me as slightly more menacing - he looks like he's rather absent mindedly wielding that Chaos Marine just now.

Lovely artwork that! Why, it looks kinder like a White Minotaur colour scheme! :D

To go with the frenzy of WIPs, I have been working on 10 Tactical Marines. I've revamped the colour scheme to give them more depth and I've changed the eyes to make things simpler. The OSL effect, while cool, was detracting from the armour.

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/Poymo/Brazen%20Minotaurs%20Space%20Marines/015.jpg

MalusCalibur
18-10-2011, 23:32
Time for a few belated comments:

Darnok
The classic Flesh Hound colour scheme is really interesting on the Chaos Hound models.

Monsterzonk
Is it weird that I thought your Marines looked a bit like pandas? I also thought they were Mortifactors at first. Either way, it's a very nice colour scheme, and I like the bases a lot.

djc
I don't think I've ever seen yellow plasma coils before. Traitor Guard always result in some cool conversions so I'll be looking forward to seeing more.
The GUO is a strange model - the second mouth certainly captures Nurgle's jolliness.

Fanny Crowbar
That blue is splendid. Very much how a Dark Eldar scheme should look.

burni
Very cleanly done. Is the numbering freehand? As if so it's very impressive!

Jihad_Ragsta
Those classic Terminators still look really good, and the OSL is impressive. One thing though - is that the Brazen Minotaur colour scheme? As I thought it was bronze and black.

Niveus Procer
405pts in one month?! Madness! Your Librarians' armour has an interesting combination of dark colours.

crandall87
Very imposing! Is that a High Elf helmet on the pilot?

Sycoa
I really like how dark they look while still retaining details. Using the old DC models also gets respect points.

matt17
That camo is really impressive. I really like the transfer and freehand too, it makes the tank feel more individual.

Raven667
That classic Farseer looks great with that colour scheme. Black Scorpions is something I've not seen before, also.

Thalenchar
You've got black, white and red looking really good there, very rich colours.

Deusmex
Your colour combination is really appealing. Is the 'one boot black, one boot white' thing going to be a running theme?

bleedcrimson
That old Sergeant is a great model and you've done it justice. I also like your chapter badge, from what I can see of it.

Doi
That Nob is inspired :D I'd love to see a whole unit of them as 'counts-as' bikers.

juxt
A very well executed classic Cadian scheme. The use of parts from the CCS sprue gives the infantry squad some real character.

Hypaspist
Those head-feelers give a very Zerglike feel to the Doom. The red brains are very striking too.

Terranova
Very bold and bright yellow, I think you've pulled that off really well. Are these Bad Moonz?

Zujara
Gritty and dark, just the way DKoK should be. That General model is really cool.

SuperMitch
All the iconography really gives the vehicle a SoB feel, I like it a lot.

razormasticator
You've done an amazing job in making all the metalwork look worn and rusted - very Orky indeed!

vcassano
The colour scheme works very well, the red details are the perfect contrast to the white and silver armour.

punkfish
Arbites! And a great job you've made of them, too. The colour scheme is perfect.

Green Fevah!
The freehand on the cloak is superb, not to mention everything else. Excellent!

I've got my next Infantry Squad built:

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/3276/a2infantrysquadbuilt.png

Though I fear I may be using my first Joker this month, as I'm absurdly busy.

ironduke
19-10-2011, 00:38
Bit late but have more than one months update with pictures in multiple posts.

Space Marine Captain with Thunder Hammer 130pts

11 Tactical Space Marines 185pts
1 Heavy Bolter, 1 Flamer

Dreadnought with Lascannon 135pts

5 Assault Marines 100pts

Total 550pts

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6163/6258719675_149f842338_s.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6051/6259245836_ec3715b0e5_s.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6031/6259245748_93310d7d83_s.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6225/6259245656_65d91e5c49_s.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6218/6258719377_3bb3da411f_s.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6039/6259245508_fb5d955939_s.jpg

ironduke
19-10-2011, 00:40
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6112/6258719113_fea9ab6cfd_s.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6050/6258719057_3241df01ac_s.jpg

An thats it for now.

cheers
Ironduke

superawesomeraptorman
19-10-2011, 01:12
Last Year I Attempted to do my Tau army, but was unsuccessful. HOWEVER the project gave me great incentive to paint. I was originally going to do Dark Eldar or Orks, however have decide with my original army getting released soon I would do necrons

Superawesomeraptormans Necrons:

MONTHLY TOTAL: Joker
TOTAL TO DATE: Joker for september
JOKERS PLAYED: 2

BACKGROUND/THEME:

None yet, need new codex!

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: New army coming out! Woo!
Lows: So much speculation about many aspects of the new army, information that hasn't quite gotten clarified means I'm unsure what to purchase! I'll be aiming for 1750 army, will probably start off November with some Immortals + character + pratorians/lych guard

Deusmex
19-10-2011, 07:44
@Maluscalibur

The whole black boot white boot thing will be a way for me to diferentiate between squads.
Squad 1 both white
Squad 2 both black
Squad 3 one white one black
Squad 4 ... err.... yeah I`ll think about that when I get to it.

Id like to add another pledge to go along with my Dark Eldar.

I`ll pledge to do 1500 points of Space wolves too Hoping to buy back septembers automatic joker this month while Im at it. Wip pics later on today.

Devilish
19-10-2011, 08:11
As noticed by the lack of progress posts I'll be playing 2 Jokers it seems for the first two months.

Devilish's Devilish Dark Eldar:

Monthly total: Joker
Total to Date: Joker for September
Jokers used: 2 :(

Background:

A quick summary that I'll flesh out later on.

Remnants of one of the old Noble houses before Vect's rise to power. Only three brothers remain of noble blood, one denounced his heritage earlier and joined the Haemonculus. The 2 others where luckily on raid when Vect sprung his coup. Fleet currently consists of three cruisers and a variable amount of escorts. Only the renounced brother can enter Commoragh without risk of Vect's wrath.

Theme:

Bases: Winter/City fight
Kabal: Snakes
Coven: Egyptian & Scorpions
Cult: Chains!

Colours to be determined

Highs and Lows:
Highs: Warseer is accessible in all the places I work at
Lows: 2 Jokers spent. The little free time I have goes to sleeping and cooking.

Now on to comments:

Page 1:

Darnok: Nice looking Flesh hounds. The green contrasts nicely with the red. Are they the standard fleshhounds or ased on warhounds?

Monsterzonk: Good looking Tactical squad with simple, but striking colour scheme. The white looks really smooth.

djc, beastmen: I love tanks!... but I don't play a force with one. I haven't seen your beastmen before. My first impression was trophies from someferal world that decorated the hull. Nice solid paint scheme.

djc, daemons: I really like the older Great Unclean One. Looks really nice

Fanny Crowbar: Nice Dark Eldar, was thinking of a similar paint scheme myself. Striking colours and a nice view on the Trueborn.

burni: Nice looking Hellhound freshly out from the factory.

Jihad_ragsta: Love the eye-glow on the Terminators.
Good looking Lunar class cruiser
Nice looking ork ravagers. Lovely built, really orky

Niveus Procer: Nice paintscheme. A more solid colour could really bring them out.

crandall87: Good looking Custodes Dreadknight with solid paintscheme. Like it.

Sycoa: Like the deathcompany. Good black with highlights and nice details.

matt_17: Nice looking tank with camo paint. I really like the spotlight, good light effect. Also the subtle weathering around the track guards.

Raven667: Good dark colour on the scorpions, they stand out from the usual light. Can't wait to see them with finished bases.

I'll comment the others later.

Good work guys.

Raven667
19-10-2011, 10:25
Thanks for the comments all, really spurred me on to finishing the scorpions and farseer! Fire Dragons are based just waiting on some primer paint arriving and will start working on them soon.

Does anyone know of a good guide to making your own decals? Specifically very small ones, e.g to fit on a helmet.

bleedcrimson
19-10-2011, 21:41
Misterboff, can i be a pain and change my 2000pts to 1750pts. I wanna start painting a world eaters army in the future so wanna start getting chaos models lol.

Also does anyone have any advice for painting SM snipers?

Cheers

Ragsta
20-10-2011, 11:51
Well, that depends on your basing scheme for the Marines. If you're going for grey (either urban or just rocks) then you could paint the cloaks black, grey OR urban camouflage. The uniforms themselves should have some relation to the power armour scheme... So metal pads maybe? The uniform cloth could be either camo or plain if you're going to camouflage the cloaks instead.

By the way, if you have any fluff for your Marines you should post it up - I'm interested to see what you have, seeing as mine is metal colour based too.

Darnok
20-10-2011, 12:24
Darnok: Nice looking Flesh hounds. The green contrasts nicely with the red. Are they the standard fleshhounds or ased on warhounds?

They're more or less Warhounds out of the box. The only conversions are the horns, where all of them got bits from the Chaos Spawn instead of the usual parts.

Deusmex
21-10-2011, 10:53
I just sold my old Salamander army . Posted it away today. Its gone.....

I hope it makes its new owner as happy as it made me.

I am now however short of imperials in my stable of armies.

So I am about to do something which will either be awesome or foolish.

I will continue my pledge of 200 points of Dark Eldar per month , I have already mentioned Id like to add 150 points of Space Wolves to that total. Id also like to add 150 points of Angels Sanguine.

Soooo..... 3 armies on the go at once( its actually 5 but Im not daft enough to add in the Imperial Fists or Ultras Im planning to do also, as a definite pledge).

Now I am aware this might go pear shaped but Im really enjoying painting again for the first time in years so , why not go for it while Im all loved up.

Space wolves wise I have nothing finished but heres a wip shot of how I expect it to look.
This month I hope to finish this guy and my version of Logan to buy back last months joker.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Deusmex/Space%20Wolves/DSCF2877.jpg
My Logan. His Axe has been shortened a bit since this photo was taken
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Deusmex/Space%20Wolves/loganwip1.jpg

Angels wise I have an old plog about these guys from last year I will resurrect this as I add more to it. I have some finished and a lot to do with others.
Finished ones look like this.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Deusmex/The%20Angels%20Sanguine/DSCF2796light.jpg
I will be doing some Death company this month, which are at this stage
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Deusmex/The%20Angels%20Sanguine/DSCF2830light.jpg

I better get painting I guess. :)

gwarsh41
21-10-2011, 14:11
I can finally post my completed work! I know this is running a bit late, but I have been swamped with work, life, and all that fun jazz. Plus I started playing D&D and forgot about posting this dude so I could make a custom spiked chain barbarian mini :D.

Without further delay, here is my unaligned (ok, maybe he is a khorne DP...) daemon prince! (larger version here) (http://i.imgur.com/xjfMn.jpg)
http://i56.tinypic.com/33ojryo.jpg

I had made a (cruddy) knight titan, and the kit needed a sentinel head. So I had most of a sentinel just lying around. I also had the second torso and head from my bloodthirster, and some extra spawn arms. This has been the best looking kitbash I have ever done considering how easy it was.

To the right is my WIP for this month, I will get a pic of him up in a few hours when I have a chance.

Here is my WIP for this month, Space wolves Rune Priest.

http://i52.tinypic.com/seq1ix.jpg

misterboff
21-10-2011, 19:21
Last Year I Attempted to do my Tau army, but was unsuccessful. HOWEVER the project gave me great incentive to paint. I was originally going to do Dark Eldar or Orks, however have decide with my original army getting released soon I would do necrons

Misterboff, can i be a pain and change my 2000pts to 1750pts. I wanna start painting a world eaters army in the future so wanna start getting chaos models lol.

I will continue my pledge of 200 points of Dark Eldar per month , I have already mentioned Id like to add 150 points of Space Wolves to that total. Id also like to add 150 points of Angels Sanguine.

All done, and it's good that we'll get to see some more of the new Necrons too.

bleedcrimson
22-10-2011, 08:59
@gwarsh41 - Is that Thunder Hammer off ebay? It looks like the one i was going to order. It looks awesome on the rune priest.

gwarsh41
23-10-2011, 03:28
@gwarsh41 - Is that Thunder Hammer off ebay? It looks like the one i was going to order. It looks awesome on the rune priest.

I just painted inquisitor Coteaz blue :D. Here he is normally (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1140003&prodId=prod1190021a)

matt_17
23-10-2011, 14:52
I just painted inquisitor Coteaz blue :D. Here he is normally (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1140003&prodId=prod1190021a)

...Ssshhhh... You're not supposed to tell them that...

Lord Setra
24-10-2011, 16:53
Heres my WIP for this month, my rune priest. gwarsh41 I think great minds think alike.... :P

Before:
http://i.imgur.com/PaU3il.jpg

WIP:
http://i.imgur.com/v0TDwl.jpg

pudsey098
24-10-2011, 20:02
@misterboff would it be possible to change my points goal, can i swap round so its 500pts of orks and 1000pts of Dark Eldar, been getting carried away and really enjoying the new army challenge. Cheers

gwarsh41
25-10-2011, 14:22
gwarsh41 I think great minds think alike.... :P

That they do! I really like how yours is turning out. I did a little double take on how well you put the belt on, it looks great! Your yellow looks good on the shoulder. I think I will go ahead and change mine to my runepriest colors (turquoise)

Hopefully this model will not join his brothers in the "not finished painting rune priest club"

http://i54.tinypic.com/2l95rgy.jpg

misterboff
25-10-2011, 22:16
@misterboff would it be possible to change my points goal, can i swap round so its 500pts of orks and 1000pts of Dark Eldar, been getting carried away and really enjoying the new army challenge. Cheers

Done!

I've finished assembling my Skullhamma - hurrah! I just need to wait for a break in the weather to undercoat it. I'll save pictures for next weeks new thread, and go hunting for my bigger paintbrushes...

Thalenchar
28-10-2011, 12:18
So how's everyone getting on?

I'm pretty much done for this month, just need to finish some metal bits on the tank and put on regimental markings. That should leave me enough time to finish the cloak on last month's commissar! Finally...

razormasticator
28-10-2011, 13:06

I'm pretty much done for this month, just need to finish some metal bits on the tank and put on regimental markings. That should leave me enough time to finish the cloak on last month's commissar! Finally...

I am in a similar boat. Despite no WIP photos I am pretty much done minus some last minute details. I am leaving on vacation tomorrow as well. So I am trying to figure out when and how to post my entry since I wont be back until the 6th. Unless your all cool with me posting on the 6th or 7th again etc.

Lord Setra
28-10-2011, 14:08
I finished the rune priest last night, so im done for this month, next month should be a bit more difficult though!

Ragsta
28-10-2011, 14:43
Hang on a second, I thought we all submit our stuff BY the 7th as per last month? Sorry, it's my first Tale so I'm a bit green when it comes to the details.
I'm doing alright actually - if I have a productive weekend I'll be able to post successfully for the second month in a row. Shame about my social life though ;)
Also, the name of my Chapter may change... Again... People aren't liking the references to White Minotaurs even though there's practically zero fluff to clash with. And it would be nice to have others like the same stuff I like.

razormasticator
28-10-2011, 17:33
Hang on a second, I thought we all submit our stuff BY the 7th as per last month? Sorry, it's my first Tale so I'm a bit green when it comes to the details.
I'm doing alright actually - if I have a productive weekend I'll be able to post successfully for the second month in a row. Shame about my social life though ;)
Also, the name of my Chapter may change... Again... People aren't liking the references to White Minotaurs even though there's practically zero fluff to clash with. And it would be nice to have others like the same stuff I like.

You do, but you can post as early as the 1st day the thread is up. And since my stuff is pretty much done, but I am going to be gone I have to wait.

misterboff
28-10-2011, 20:54

I've just today managed to undercoat my assembled Skullhamma (hurrah!), but the Supa Kannon broke off it again (boo!). The good thing about the accident though is that I can (and will at some point) plonk it on my Looted Wagon transport to count as a second Looted Wagon with Boomgun. I'll probably take my pictures later ready for the new thread on Tuesday.

So I am trying to figure out when and how to post my entry since I wont be back until the 6th. Unless your all cool with me posting on the 6th or 7th again etc.

No problems razor. :)

Hang on a second, I thought we all submit our stuff BY the 7th as per last month?

You do, but you can post as early as the 1st day the thread is up. And since my stuff is pretty much done, but I am going to be gone I have to wait.

What razor said. The first seven days of each month/post are for completed work, and then comments and work in progress from the 8th onwards.

Doi
29-10-2011, 06:53

Pretty well actually. Just need to do some bases and I'm done.

Doi

Jonahmaul
29-10-2011, 13:43
Hey folks, so I'm just going to say that my stuff for this month is jokered as I'll be able to use if for this next months entry and have more time to catch up (hopefully buying back a joker at some point). Lack of internet and gerneral being very busy means I've not been around and lacked motivation but starting to get it back again. Here's comments for those people who have submitted this month:

PAGE ONE

darnok - excellent work on the flesh hounds, really like the idea of doing a different god each month to give a bit of variety to the painting. looking forward to seeing the crab hands next month!

monsterzonk - really like those marines, is there some fluff to go with them?

djc - really like this army and glad to see you expanding it more, the tank looks really good. i really like that old nurgle deamon too so good work!

fanny crowbar - excellent work once again

burni - great work and an impressive amount of vehicles

jihad_ragsta - very good work, really like the OSL

niveus procer - good work and a very good start to the tale

crandall87 - nice to see an alternative colour scheme and I really like it

sycoa - nice looking DC's, looking forward to seeing them all done, will be impressive & daunting!

Matt_17 - excellent tank, really like the weathering and all the extra details

raven667 - sorry to hear that you've had a basing mishap, looking forward to seeing them once you've fixed them up

PAGE TWO

thanlencar - welcome to the tale and a great start, looking forward to seeing what else you come up with

deusmex - nice looking stuff.

bleedcrimson - nice story to the marines and nice to see some old school ones around although personally I'd mix them in with some of the newer ones. Nice painting too.

doi - cool looking Orks, I love your...ummmm.....nob?!?!

juxt - really nice guard, the painting is so smooth, can't wait to see some more

hypaspist - very nice painting, really like that colour scheme and looking forward to hearing more of your fluff

terranova - awesome stuff, really like those

zujara - great stuff, really like those miniatures and painted very well

PAGE THREE

supermitch - great rhinos

misterboff - looking forward to seeing that skullhamma develop

razormasticator - really great stuff again, i love your ork army!

vcassano - nice miniatures, that guy at the front doesn't look very intimidating though!

punkfish - great stuff, i love the arbites miniatures and very nicely painted too

PAGE FOUR

green feevah - great Eldrad

maluscalibur - great stuff, looking forward to seem more

Darnok
29-10-2011, 21:56
looking forward to seeing the crab hands next month!

Actually I decided to paint some more Plaguebearers first. :D

f2k
30-10-2011, 13:50
Misterboff, could you please change my army to 500 points of orks, starting from next month?

What began as a suspected stomach infection seems to have developed and I’ve been in and out of both my doctor’s office and the hospital throughout this month as they’ve tried to figure out why I continue to be sick. Not a whole lot of fun, I tell you...

As a result I’ll be scaling way back on my projects – I simply have neither the time, not the energy, to keep up with three tales when I also have to take care of myself and try to hang on to my internship as well.

And as if that’s not enough, some *biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiib* on eBay has tried to scam me out of the bitz I was waiting for to complete the guardsmen I was going to start working on this month. Grrrrrrrrrr...!

So, rather than dropping out of the tale completely, I’ll lower my goals and settle for a small warband of orks with (hopefully) 50 points completed in each of the remaining ten months.

Let’s just hope then, that my health doesn’t deteriorate any further...

misterboff
30-10-2011, 22:44
Misterboff, could you please change my army to 500 points of orks, starting from next month?

I've changed your army on the main list now f2k, and I hope you get better soon!

misterboff
01-11-2011, 07:50
Hi guys and gals,

The new thread is now up:

The Tale of 40k Painters 2011-2012 MONTH 3 (OCT completed work & NOV WIP) (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322437)

The new thread is for completed entries for October (up until the 7th) and work in progress (WIP) for this November (from the 8th). Please only post completed work for October in the new thread until the 7th.

Maskedman5oh4
02-11-2011, 20:29
http://i56.tinypic.com/33ojryo.jpg

Reminds me of something from Doom... :yes:

Terranova
05-11-2011, 20:08
Well folks, sorry this has taken so long, had some computer issues and i only hope some of you are still going to read this. I guess its better late than never.
PAGE ONE

darnok - Like how the scales are picked out and the shading on the reds seems leathery, good work

monsterzonk - Wow. Love how clean the white is, it almost looks ceramic. The basses only add to their awesomeness.

djc - Being over the age of 30 any nod to the old beastmen guard is more than ok for me. Like the dirt on the tank, very subtle, and the sheilds are a great idea. Can't wait to see other aspects of this army as you paint them. And just under that post is another flashback! Loving the lower mouth, really like the purple tint, tried to do this with my orks and failed, totally!

fanny crowbar -Much Tron bassed goodness. like the clean lines on the venom, very striking. the flesh is also suitably cold, Great.

burni - love the utilitarian look to the vehicles and how in the cuttaways you can just see burnished metal. Like the attention to markings as well adds a great deal of individuality to the army.

jihad_ragsta - Termies look great, can just imagine the flash of blue eyes in the darkness as they attack. Really quite an eerie colour.
the ork ships look suitably orky and the cruiser looks a nightmare to paint, but the attention to detail brings it to life.

niveus procer - wow lots of work. dont be put out how your models look under the camera, i find it is often a far harder critic of my work than i can be! like the bright colours, if you thinned the paint a little it might go on more evenly but otherwise a great start.

crandall87 - Love to see custodes armies, i blame the Collected Visions.Love the force weapon conversion, Over built, oversized and totally how i think 40k should be.

sycoa - If i had to paint that much black i think i would just sit and cry. like how you have done it. Love the high light on the gems and white angel wings. Also the gold angel wings on the chests really work for me, good representation of the play of light on them.

Matt_17 - Your lenses are spectacular. The searchlight is amazing and the reds with the white flashes work well. The camo scheme and weathering go together so well.

raven667 - Like what i can see so far, it seems a shame to rush the bases and not do them the same justice as the rest of the model, can't wait to see the finished unit.

PAGE TWO

thanlencar - Liking the gold colour of the braiding and the movement in the red sash. You are far braver than me taking on white trousers! I live in fear of large blocks of white.

deusmex - Worryingly this reminds me of a girl i once knew, Gulp! random colour finds are great, think the scheme works really well. Flesh tones look very lifelike and the stunning deatail only enhances this.

bleedcrimson - Love the older models as well. i think that when the bases are finished these will look all business.

doi - Yeah Orks! Not just orks but orks with tracks!! Love the thought of the nob zipping to war ontracks and trundling through units of imperial guard. The checks are brilliant, i have tried and so far failed and therefore have no love for them on my own models.

juxt - Incredable- like how the unit and transport gel so well together. Your skintones tell me i did the right thing going for orks, i cannot do flesh a tenth of the justice you have here.

hypaspist - To my eye there is something disturbingly alien to these. The older tyranids allways look scarier to me and the colour scheme is totally unatural, Love it.

zujara - Think the grey was well worth the effort, detailing is really good and i feel that you have got the weathering spot on.

PAGE THREE

supermitch - Rhinos always look like boxes with tracks, however with the added detail i think you have avoided this and made two interesting models. They look very sistery (is that a word?). Who cares they just look right.

misterboff - Cant wait to see the progress of this looks like it will be awesome.

razormasticator - A more than suitably dirty, scary looking ork army. Think the blue highlight on the metal gives incredible 'pop' to the peices.

vcassano - Whit helmets and the metal of grey knights rworks for me. unfortunately the photos are a little blurry, but i feel that if they were crisp i would love these even more.

punkfish - Well painted and love the visors and suggestion of damage on the shields, a great idea for a veteran unit.

PAGE FOUR

green feevah - Cool colour scheme. liking the bone and highlighted stones, very eye catching and the free hand is very crisp, love it.

maluscalibur - Love the cohesive look and the colour. Think the highlight on the armour is stunning. I dont think i would have been brave enough to even consider putting them together. Faces are great as well, Brilliant.

Gwarsh41- Totally twisted and from my worst nightmares, love the conversion!