PDA

View Full Version : Help needed identifying WQ/Hero Quest 'Snake Warriors'

misterboff
03-10-2011, 00:09
Hi everyone,

I'm a 40k player, but I was looking for some 'snakey' bits for a conversion and I figured this would be the best place to post my question. I saw these guys (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250897406255?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649) on ebay, and was wondering whether anyone could confirm whether or not they are actually from WQ/Hero Quest, and if so which game/expansion?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EldritchGamer
03-10-2011, 09:52
These were definitely not part of an official Warhammer Quest boxed set or expansion. I don't recall ever seeing them as part of the Citadel/Games Workshop range, but that might just mean they are very old.

Have you seen the new Dark Eldar models for the Archon's Court? There is some kind of part-snake included there (I think its called a Dark Eldar Sslyth). Just a thought.

BigRob
03-10-2011, 11:01
Nothing to do with Heroquest, Warhammer Quest, Dark World, Legend of Zagor or any of the other games from that era that I have seen, played and/or owned.

I don't think I have ever seen anything like that from Citadel or GW either.

Pretty cool models though, I always wondered by snakemen were never in GWs stuff, they exist in FF and lots of other fantasy worlds, such as Fiest.

misterboff
03-10-2011, 12:19
Thanks very much for the quick replies! I'm actually wanting them for Sslyth conversions for my Dark Eldar, so good thinking!

I seem to remember that Dark World had a snake/lizard headed boss, so I might check that out. Or I could always pick up a Lizardman Swarm and use the snakes from that.

BigRob
03-10-2011, 14:33
Ah the "Cobran Nemisis" is a terrible, clunky and small one piece plastic model holding the "mace of chaos" which looks suspicously like one of the toys sold by Ann Summers shops.

Personally I'd look elsewhere.

Purplebeard
05-10-2011, 21:35
Haha yeah Dark World. The models aren't great - it's probably not worth it. I will never think of the Cobra Nemesis the same way again after your comments, BigRob ;)

Chaos Snakemen are a part of the Warhammer world. I think the background etc is scant but basically they are a beastman equivalent for hot climes like Araby and 'the East', and maybe Lustria too (?). They would make a cool themed army.

There are models from various makers out there. GW did a few pre-slotta ones in the C Series. They are nice sculpts and not rare, you could probably get them on eBay for a couple of quid a piece.

I think those in the OP are Void or Kryomek figures. I have definitely seen them before, but can't think of where I saw them....

Eredrian
11-10-2011, 10:08
Yes, it is definetly from Dark World - The Village of Fear. I agree with former postings, that the odel form the Dark World series aren't of fine quality, but at the end the complete game could be bought for round about 10 ...

Necanthrope
11-10-2011, 14:33
I just purchased dark world from eBay for 2.99, thought it was a bargain. The models are not great, but when your getting monsters together for WHQ every little helps! The big temple from dark world is a nice ready made 3d objective room too.

Eredrian
16-10-2011, 19:08
I'm sorry but I don't agree in this point. A miniature need a minimal requirement of detail degree for myself.
So the only use for this kind of models would be some statues an my dungeon walls.

Nevertheless, their plastic "rooms" are fantastic and with some paint/green stuff you can make an excellent dungeon section of it. Also I have often seen guys, who combined the village rooftops with their own creations and it looked very very good.

BigRob
18-10-2011, 10:43
The village of Fear stuff isn't too bad but then again your very lucky to get that expansion for 2.99.

The big box was ok, but the miniatures were among the poorest quality I have encountered in these kind of games, way behind Heroquest and Legend of Zagor kind of things.

Necanthrope
18-10-2011, 13:26
Oh they certainly are bad, but they will do as stand in's until I can get some better stuff to populate my dungeons with.

Has anybone got any idea about these monsters?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250877554171?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_969

I keep seeing them on eBay, and it's tempting for 80 models. Has anybody here got some? What is the quality like?

BigRob
18-10-2011, 14:57
They are from the Dungeons and Dragons boardgame, not great quality but better than Darkworld (although not by much).

EldritchGamer
18-10-2011, 16:38
I like this Stygian snake warrior:

http://cavalcadewargames.com/cavalcade/Dragonblood_Stygians.html

http://cavalcadewargames.com/cavalcade/Dragonblood_Stygians_files/snakeman2.jpg

Buy one of those so I can vicariously satisfy my whim through you!