PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking across the Old World

Eternus
02-11-2011, 10:47
Ok, so a thought occured to me about the travelling between dungeons. I like this aspect of the game, but it feels a little disconnected from the Fantasy setting as a whole because it is so vague. Has anyone tried using a map of the Old World, with villages and towns and cities that actually appear on the Old World Maps, and using the distances on the map to calculate travel times? You could draw on the routes and mark a number on them for the number of weeks travel. This would enable your warriors to actually travel the Old World, from Nuln to Parravon, instead of abstract locations.

BigRob
02-11-2011, 20:52
I'm fairly certain they cover it all by saying your characters emerge from the dungeon in a random location, possibly miles from where they started and the random table is simply how long it takes them to wander round the place looking for a town.

I considered the idea of having region specific travel charts, settlements and so on for each realm, The Empire, Brettonia, Kislev, Araby, Badlands, Southlands, Worlds Edge Mountains etc etc.

But then you start to get into WFRP territory and you might as well play that.

Necanthrope
02-11-2011, 21:05
I used to use an old world map to let the warriors know where they were, I didn't use any extra rules for travelling. But it was nice to know the name of the city you were in.

Shas'El Tael
03-11-2011, 09:56
There are several impressive resources for WHFRP when it comes to maps. Including one that is Google Earth like.

I used to have a poster map GW issued with WD years ago. Laminated and pinned to the wall. Plotted the travel paths of the heroes and after a few games, it was a nice treat to look up and realise how much ground the adventurers had covered.

Good resources here :

http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/Warhammer_Maps/Full_Screen/oldworldmap.html

and

http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Old_World

Enjoy,
Tael.

Inchpractice
06-11-2011, 21:38
I always wonder about this, if you had the models you could make themed battle level tables for where you are in the world, leaning towards certain troops more than others.

abdulaapocolyps
06-11-2011, 21:45
Hmm, you know I was going to post something similar. Quest is the only game that does not need a games master, which is a great boon for the limited local scene. I have, however, that the post game sequence needs some help.
I would like some work doing to merge the world of role playing with the world of Quest. Map based travelling is an excellent idea, I may have to work on this more when I have time...

Frogczar
07-11-2011, 20:12
There was a WD article about travelling across the seas to the "Lost Kingdoms" which would feature tougher dungeon encounters and more loot. We played this way in a campaign and it was a good time. It wasn't as detailed as you are asking for, but it was something similar. They also had an article about travelling to Araby and the Lizardman realms for similar experiences.

-Frog

Daemonslave
07-11-2011, 21:58
I've always wanted to do a super detailed map of the Warhammer World for WHQ, so that they could travel to different areas of the World and face new monsters. I.e. Lizardmen in Lustria,Dark Elves from Naggaroth, etc as opposed to a random appearance in a dungeon.

However the complexity of doing this and making new monster tables etc, made me reconsider. Would be nice though.

Eternus
08-11-2011, 10:53
I've always wanted to do a super detailed map of the Warhammer World for WHQ, so that they could travel to different areas of the World and face new monsters. I.e. Lizardmen in Lustria,Dark Elves from Naggaroth, etc as opposed to a random appearance in a dungeon.

However the complexity of doing this and making new monster tables etc, made me reconsider. Would be nice though.

There are quite a few very details maps around already, should be a simple task to connect the dots on the map and give the various routes a travel duration.

S_A_T_S
10-01-2012, 00:28
@DaemonSlave: In the Deathblow magazines, there were rules for Dark Elves and Lizardmen, as well as rules for playing in Lustria, Kislev, and using ports to travel between continents. As for monster tables, using the relevant table for your BL should be doable - swap trolls/ogres for kroxigors, orcs for saurus, goblins for skinks, keep skaven lots of them in lustria!) and daemons (damn things can be summoned anywhere), swap out anything (mortal) chaos for its Dark Elf analogue. Random monsters should be fine to keep in, as you never know what sort of beast may make its lair in the deep dark of a dungeon...

Nachie
10-01-2012, 07:00
There are quite a few very details maps around already, should be a simple task to connect the dots on the map and give the various routes a travel duration.

This is what I do, sometimes photocopying maps out of the various army books and providing them to my players so they can see where they're at.

I also make extensive use of WFRP v.2 sourcebooks for information about various regions the warriors are traveling in, and theme the adventures around what they might expect to find in that area.

Eternus
10-01-2012, 09:37
This is what I do, sometimes photocopying maps out of the various army books and providing them to my players so they can see where they're at.

I also make extensive use of WFRP v.2 sourcebooks for information about various regions the warriors are traveling in, and theme the adventures around what they might expect to find in that area.

Cool, that's just what I want to do.

Purplebeard
11-01-2012, 21:45
After reading this, I may have to try and get hold of some of the WFRP stuff.

Eternus
12-01-2012, 14:30
After reading this, I may have to try and get hold of some of the WFRP stuff.

Check http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/Warhammer_Maps/index.htmlsite out. And this (http://www.windsofchaos.com/?page_id=27)one.