PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Dungeon Cards?

Eternus
04-11-2011, 11:48
At present, we have a deck of Dungeon and Objective Room cards that we use to set up a dungeon, but with so many extra and DIY rooms and cards, it can be pretty obvious the Objective Room is next or which way down a T corridor it is when the card is printed and stuck onto cardboard rather than a shiny one from the box.

Does anyone have any ideas for getting round this? Any way of ordering the dungeon without cards, or maybe printing the whole set so they're all the same?

toonboy78
04-11-2011, 12:14
you could use a normal set of playing cards with a table corresponding to what the card is.

or i found these from a quick search

http://www.printerstudio.com/unique-ideas/blank-playing-cards.aspx

Baragash
04-11-2011, 12:14
Create your own DXX (D66 maybe - so 36 options) table to roll for the next room.

Create your own set of cards, possibly by printing it out from PC and get them laminated.

Eternus
04-11-2011, 12:26
All good suggestions. I have always been one for tables, which is also the quickest, easiest and cheapest option I think, so may have a look at that. I guess I'll need two tables, one for the first 6 rooms/corridors, and one for the last 6 which includes the Objective Room.

Baragash
04-11-2011, 12:50
Or (assuming D66, but adjust as appropriate) just have a dual option on the 6th result (16, 26, 36 etc)/60s section so when you're in the second 6 rooms if you roll that result you apply the objective room instead.

Eternus
04-11-2011, 13:01
I thought maybe for the first 6 rooms roll a D6 - 1-3 roll on a 'corridors table', 4-6 roll on a 'rooms table', and after the first 6 rooms roll a D6. A result of 6 means you've hit the objective room, anything else, roll as for the first 6 rooms/corridors. For each room/corridor you pass through in the last 7 (6 plus the Objective Room), +1 to the roll, so the chances of hitting the Objective room is greater the further you get into the last 7.

gunmonkey
06-11-2011, 00:03
Making a list would be best, problems would arise when you roll on a room twice, or just have "room" as an option and then roll a seperate table for which room it is. And have an option on certain points "If less than 6 rooms placed, T-Corridor/Room/Corner/whatever. If more than 6 rooms placed, Objective room".

Pancakey
06-11-2011, 01:29
What we are doing is putting all the cards in card protectors. Then for the thin cards from a magzine or something, we slide the thin sheet in the protector and then slide a blank card behind it. So far it's working :)

abdulaapocolyps
06-11-2011, 06:10
We use a deck of normal cards and manipulate it so it has the required number of number cards, face cards and an ace. We shuffle the corridors / dungeon rooms and put them face down, every number card is a corridor, every face card a dungeon room and the ace the objective room. Not everyone likes this way as the different shapes of the corridors can also make it obvious whats comming up next, though we just dont look or reshuffle a lot.
An alternative would be to do it in Excel. I have created a few sheets that do things like generate items or monsters, as well as some locations with multiple choices when presented with a situation, so generating dungeon cards should be pretty easy with a bit of know how?

Hellebore
23-11-2011, 05:39
you could use a normal set of playing cards with a table corresponding to what the card is.

or i found these from a quick search

http://www.printerstudio.com/unique-ideas/blank-playing-cards.aspx

.....! Greatest thing ever! That's simply awesome. I'ma have me some of that thankyouverymuch.

Hellebore