PDA

View Full Version : Purplebeard's Warhammer Quest Stuff

Purplebeard
03-01-2012, 09:54
Hi everyone.

I have been really inspired by some of the threads on here and have decided to start my own WHQ-only thread. The aim of this thread is to share random thoughts/rules ideas about WHQ, and to share pics from my collection (both newly-painted figures and battle-scenes/game-scenes) since the internet is relatively lacking in WHQ pics. I'm also going to start my own fansite shortly, so I will use this as a testing ground for ideas.

Anyway, to start off, I did a huge photography session the other day (of both Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer Quest stuff), and took some mocked up pics of WHQ battle scenes. I'm planning to use these on the website when I get it done.

I mocked up some Warhammer Quest battle scenes with painted models. The aim of this is to get photos/material for the hobby site I plan to start soon. It is an ambition I have had for years and I'm finally in a position to make it happen this year, though it will be a lot of work.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/WarriorsVsGreenskins.jpg
Orc Encounter

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/BarbarianVsTroll.jpg
Barbarian versus a terrible Troll - and the Snotlings pile in! At the same time, the Elf staves off the wicked Orc warriors.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/OrcsPourThrough.jpg
Orcs pour through the door

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/TrollsHeadForTheDoor.jpg
Trolls head for the door, watched by their Shaman master

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/DwarfChargingWolves1.jpg
Wolves hungry for tasty wizard meat (yum). Only the stout Dwarf stands in their way.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/LeadingFromTheRear.jpg
The Wizard leads bravely from the rear

Hope you like my pics. I've set up some more encounters to show off my recently completed figures (undead, etc). I will share these soon.

Necanthrope
03-01-2012, 10:41
Looking good Purplebeard!
It's always nice to see some painted quest stuff, and your painting looks very dramatic.

Nachie
04-01-2012, 05:19
Excellent! Please keep posting, this is the best game GW ever produced, hands down.

Purplebeard
05-01-2012, 18:09
Replies:

@Necanthrope: Thank you. I think it looks pretty good from a distance, the high contrast from the colours creates the 'dramatic' effect, and it isn't too hard to do.

@Nachie: I loved WHQ when it came out. One of the best presents I have ever been given. I didn't have too much as a kid but I did manage to get the big games - Heroquest, Battlemasters, Dark World, and WHQ. I now wish I hadn't sold on 90% of the stuff I used to have!

Just a few WHQ bits I've done recently. I held the pics back until now so that I could get through the Dwarf stuff.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Mummy.jpg
Mummy (from Heroquest)

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Skeletons.jpg
Skeleton Warriors

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/SkeletonArchers.jpg
Skeleton Archers

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Wolves1.jpg
Wolves

The Mummy and some of the skeletons were more-or-less doen a while back, but I added a few more in. The swan transfers are from the medieval range at Veni Vidi Vici, and they are barely noticeable in real life (oh well). The colour scheme for the wolves was copied from an old Vampire Counts army book, and I'm not fully happy with it, but it'll do I guess.

Now, working on wolves got me thinking about monsters and substitutes. Wolf models can easily be plain wolves, Dire Wolves (for undead), or Chaos Hounds, for example. A Griffon could easily be a stand-in for a Hippogriff. IMHO, a Manticore could be a decent stand-in for a Lammasu, etc. Maybe armoured goblins could stand in for Hobgoblins, at a push. Of course, anything can stand in for a higher level version of itself - eg. an Orc could easily be an Orc Warboss.

I'm thinking of compiling a list of 'suggested reasonable substitutes' for budget &/or time conscious collectors, since collecting everything would be a monumental task. I know that this the subject of 'suitability' is entirely subjective in this context, so that's why I have labelled the list as 'suggested' stand-ins.

Do you have any thoughts or entries you could add?

Necanthrope
05-01-2012, 18:26
Not so much stand ins as cheap miniatures, but i'm using a lot of battle masters stuff in my dungeon.

Purplebeard
06-01-2012, 08:30
Yeah - that's great. I had Battlemasters. I wish I'd never sold off all the figures :(

That's really good. There are loads of old figures that can do the job cheaply - the Heroquest stuff, Battlemasters, Dark World, and I've heard that there are some more fantasy figure tabletop/board games from around the same time too.

That's part of what I'm aiming for - on the one hand, to maybe do an article about getting hold of cheap figures, and on the other, to look at suggested substitutes and stand-ins.

I guess that they are both sides of the same coin - getting people big collections of painted figures cheaply & quickly, so they can get playing!

Necanthrope
06-01-2012, 14:07
The way I am doing it is to collect one battle level at a time. So far I have almost all of battle level one, I just need some ghouls, zombies, and hobgoblins.

I'm converting some centaurs from chaos knight bodies and a few chaos archers from Battle Masters. I was using all the monsters from dark world, but most of these are now replaced with GW miniatures. I'm still using the Dark world orcs as hobgoblins.

Battle Masters givers you an ogre, lots of goblins, lots of orcs, some beastmen, some chaos warriors,a few chaos knights, some chaos archers, and goblin wolf riders. All of these are being used in my dungeon, with the exception of the cavalry. You also get a lot of empire stuff in Battle Masters. It is available on eBay for pretty cheap.

Dark World can still be found on eBay, but people often try to sell it for more than it is worth. I got mine for less than 10 pounds including delivery. I wouldn't have wanted to pay more than 20.
In Dark World you get: Four adventurers( a dwarf, a ranger, a barbarian, and an elf), and a selection of weapons for them, 4 skeletons, 2 mummies, 8 orcs, 3 ogres, a manticore, and a chaos sorceror. It also has a few treasure chests, some nice dungeon doors, and a really good 3-d temple than you could use as an objective room.
The quality of the miniatures is pretty low, but they are usable.

Island of blood should also get a mention, the sheer volume of skaven in that box for a mere sixty quid is a real bargain. Clanrats, stormvermin (clanrats with spears), rat ogres, weapons teams and characters. It's a steal. And, you can take the swordmaster champion and use him as an elf ranger or revenant knight. The griffon can be used in latter games, and you can convert the rest of the high elves to dark elves by just using a dark colour scheme.

I've not got any myself, but mantic game do a great range of undead in big boxes for low prices. They also have abyssal dwarves that would be great subs for chaos dwarves. And it looks like they will be doing dark elves at some point too.

For Warriors, I don't think you can beat Avatars of war. They are not too expensive and the quality is really good. They have a great variety too, with something to represent almost every warrior available.

Hellebore
06-01-2012, 14:49
Great set there.

I'm collecting as much as I can right now too, except I have 3 basic requirements I'm sticking to:

All metal
Cheap
Not GW

Currently I haven't found any metal chaos dwarf equivalents, but I have 9 blunderbuss models that were given to me years ago so technically I have't bought them...

I've been scouring random mini companies looking for appropriate substitutes to the creatures in the book. I've bought from West Wind, Foundry, Reaper and just placed a large order with Black Tree Designs as they currently have a 50% off infantry and free shipping sale and when your infantry normally cost 4.99 GBP for 3, that's an insanely good deal. Plus they are the only people I could find that sold ratmen.

Hellebore

S_A_T_S
06-01-2012, 15:07
Great to see a fully painted WHQ set up. My friends and I got back into it last year, but our GM (who owns almost all the stuff) just doesn't "do" painting. On the flip side, now he has finished fixing up his house, he does seem to spend all his disposable income on minis for it, so at least we have models for everything!

I'm going with Necanthrope for Mantic - they are excellent models for the price you pay, and as you aren't going to be using them that much, it's not worth paying a lot. We also use Heroquest stuff, as well as random bits off eBay. Our GM got a D&D cockatrice from the net - it's tiny (large squig size), but that just adds to the humour, and it's pre-painted, which in our group is obviously a plus. He's also got some scorpions and other bits and bobs from the D&D range, they aren't too shabby.

I've taken it on myself to put together a selection of heroes, as I think that is the one part you really should be careful with and paint nicely. I love Avatars of War (the witch hound is the best witchhunter model available from what I can see and their trollslayer is amazing, thick and bulky, seems just more... solid than GW's) but their barbarian looked too camp and static for me, so I found a Reaper Minis evil mercenary (http://paizo.com/products/btpy8dk7?Castrus-Vile-Evil-Mercenary) - much better! A good price too, so have a look at them. For my own set of WHQ, I'm sticking with rebuilding the basic boxset from scratch and I found this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEM-10001-Tarantula-SWARM-25mm-miniatures-x-10-MONSTERS-/8729132936?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2084bff88)and this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEM-10009-Rat-SWARM-25mm-miniatures-x-10-MONSTERS-/8810885226?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d2b706a) for my mini beasts. Decent size, and less than £10 delivered from US. I use the larger models as fillers, as it's very rare you can fit 12 spiders in a ring around the warriors without some trailing back down a corridor. The GW bat swarm (in metal when I bought it...) was also a good deal, as you get some solid metal bats of different heights and wing spans for a reasonable price. All you need to add are the 20mm bases...

Nachie
07-01-2012, 02:18
Did you do anything special to re-base those HQ minis, or just cut away the old base, file down the bottoms of the feet, and glue them to the slottabases?

Purplebeard
07-01-2012, 08:56
@Necanthrope: Of course there are all the old WFB editions 4th (HE vs. Goblins), 5th (Brets vs. Lizardmen) 6th (Empire vs. Orcs) and 7th (Dwarfs vs. Goblins) too. And the 4e/5e (mostly) monopose plastics. They can be picked up pretty cheap. The Centaur conversion is a great idea btw.

@Hellebore: Your requirements are quite high! But best of luck. There are some awesome metal figures around from alt makers like Otherworld and Ultraforge. I would like to add that there are some nice old school figures available from Mirliton (Grenadier dragons) and Grendel (huge leviathan monsters - but they're resin :S).

@S_A_T_S: Yep, there are painters and gamers. I am more of a painter; I just don't have access to get out to games atm, and I've just finished uni (so looking for work). I don't buy much new stuff myself - I go for collections or junk lots and pick out what I want, generally. Then I sell the rest on. It can take a long time, but it is a really cheap way to collect.

@Nachie: You've got it spot on. I just hacked chopped away the base around the feet (carefully - it is easy to snap the legs of the skeletons). Then the plastic under the feet was more carefully trimmed (though leaving a little bit on), and I hid as much of the base tab as possible with basing material. I didn't use a file, just clippers.

Hellebore
07-01-2012, 09:10
@Hellebore: Your requirements are quite high! But best of luck. There are some awesome metal figures around from alt makers like Otherworld and Ultraforge. I would like to add that there are some nice old school figures available from Mirliton (Grenadier dragons) and Grendel (huge leviathan monsters - but they're resin :S).

Thanks for the tips. I admit my standards are a little restrictive but they have generated a far greater appreciation for miniature companies out there. By forcing myself to look everywhere I've discovered some really great stuff. Like West Wind's orcs. Those guys are huge almost black orc sized and 11GBP for 10 is a pretty awesome deal.

For large monsters I don't mind resin, as their size gives them the same kind of heft metal has.

Now all I need to do is paint the lot. You've set the bar wonderfully high.:cool:

Hellebore

Daniel36
07-01-2012, 09:59
Giving the doorways a paintjob does so much to the tiles. Pretty amazing.

Necanthrope
07-01-2012, 13:13
One thing I'm surprised so few people do is to colour the edges of the boards black with a marker or paint. I say it to lots of people, and it makes a huge difference when you play the game. IMO doing the board edges and painting the dungeon doors is the biggest single thing you can do to enhance the look of your WHQ set.

Hellebore
07-01-2012, 13:36
I'm just bypassing that and going straight to the 3d terrain.

Hellebore

S_A_T_S
07-01-2012, 14:23
I didn't bother with any of this and just printed all the tiles onto card then laminated them. Saves me £200 odd compared to buying from eBay. Would look better with doors, but can always make a mould off the GM's set...

Purplebeard
07-01-2012, 19:04
@Hellebore: Yep -I should clarify that only the Grendel stuff is resin - the Mirliton stuff isn't. I did not know that you could 10 for £11 on West Wind Orcs, that sounds like a sweet deal.

@Daniel36: Thanks. I always ignored it when people said that until recently, but now I have to agree. I know that there are plnety of painters out there who are a lot better than me, but I am really happy with the results on the doorways.

@Necanthrope: I promise I will get a black marker pen and do the edges, ASAP. I've painted half the dungeon doors, so I'm part way there I guess. :angel:

@Hellebore: Cool. Daemonslave's log is a good place to look. There was also a nice dungeon in Deathblow 2 (by a fella called Andy Judson), it was 3D but built up on card, so you could still slot the rooms together with the doors. The effect was great, and I think that it would be a bit more achievable for novice modellers/terrain buiders (like me) than some of the other stuff I've seen. I'm focusing on getting monsters (and the last few heroes) done for now.

Or you could cast everything up in moulds from kits. That would be easier but more expensive.

And there is another fella who had a log on here, and he was in Deathblow, I think. I will post the link when I get hold of it.

@S_A_T_S: Good plan. It should be pretty quick too. There are some good sites with new copyright free boards created by fans. The quality is variable but there are some good ones. I have a load on my computer; I want to print them off and laminate them like you suggest. Oh, and there are shedloads of floorplans/boards for other games like Advanced Heroquest and D&D available on eBay etc.

Purplebeard
07-01-2012, 19:11
These are the threads. They're oldies, but goodies!

Cyrus' threads

Cyrus' Warhammer Quest All Monsterlevels Madness
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240866

Cyrus' WHQ 3D Dungeon
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105617

Enjoy!

Hellebore
08-01-2012, 01:04
@Hellebore: Yep -I should clarify that only the Grendel stuff is resin - the Mirliton stuff isn't. I did not know that you could 10 for £11 on West Wind Orcs, that sounds like a sweet deal.

However they are lead based if that matters. I used to buy lead based models from GW in the early 90s when I was 12 so I don't think I'd be more likely to poison myself NOW at 30. Thus I bought them. They also fit my criteria to a T. I bought a regiment of swordsmen and bowmen and then a command pack (which has 4 models in it) allowing me to make 2 groups of 12 for the all important dice rolls.

Black Tree Designs also have a huge range of stuff that looks like GW's stuff from the 90s. They're the only guys I found that sell ratmen and currently they're selling 3 infantry for 2.75GBP iirc (they're 50% off their normal price) and they have free shipping. They've got tonnes of monsters, undead etc if you're interested.

@Hellebore: Cool. Daemonslave's log is a good place to look. There was also a nice dungeon in Deathblow 2 (by a fella called Andy Judson), it was 3D but built up on card, so you could still slot the rooms together with the doors. The effect was great, and I think that it would be a bit more achievable for novice modellers/terrain buiders (like me) than some of the other stuff I've seen. I'm focusing on getting monsters (and the last few heroes) done for now.

Or you could cast everything up in moulds from kits. That would be easier but more expensive.

And there is another fella who had a log on here, and he was in Deathblow, I think. I will post the link when I get hold of it.

Yeah I've got a tonne of hirstarts molds I bought for a Mordheim project a few years ago. We've been using those.

Now come on and finish your stuff so I feel like I need to do mine! :p

Hellebore

Purplebeard
08-01-2012, 14:43
@Hellebore: Thanks for the heads-up, I've had a look and there is some nice stuff from BTD. They have a shed-load of furniture/fixtures/fittings which would be great for dungeoncrawl games. I'm going to go back today and have a really good look though.

@Necanthrope: Good news! I have located a marker pen in the house and I'm going to do the edges of my boards today!

P.S. You won't often hear/read me saying that I'm going to do something today, so relish it :D

I have been busy this week and have got some Undead done:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/SK3.jpg
Skeleton Horsemen (transfers by Veni Vidi Vici)

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Bats.jpg
WHQ Bats

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Zombie.jpg
Heroquest Zombie

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/SKBZGroup.jpg
Undead Group Shot

And this fella...

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/OrcArcher.jpg
Orc Arrer Boy

I like the Undead, they are quick and easy to paint, which for me is a good thing. The Orc was quite a lot of fun too - he only needed a simple paint job. I'm going to follow through with a bold red/yellow/black colour scheme on all my O&G.

QUESTING

Yesterday, I also ran my first quest for a long, long time. We took a new bunch of warriors, drew the Tomb Chamber and the 'Destroy the Idol' quest, and set a new band of novice warriors (Zzap the Wizard, Ragnar the Barbarian, Myzhor the Dwarf, and Eaglecry the Elf) cheerfully off into the dungeons.

Of course, it started quietly and innocently enough, with a long string of boring stairways and passageways.

After ages of mind-numbing passageways, the warriors got to the Guard Room and encountered an Ogre (not exactly easy pickings). Ragnar incompetently fumbled and failed to hit the thing, and the Elf only caused a few wounds. The Ogre smashed Ragnar with his mace, knocking him down to 0 wounds.

We knew it would be one of those adventures when the mighty wizard strode up and felled him with one swift blow. Zzap promptly resurrected the Barbarian. Ragnar, as leader, bravely kept the resulting Treasure Card for himself, a Lucky Talisman.

Then the warriors entered the Torture Chamber, triggering an event. A portcullis dropped behind them, blocking their escape. At the same time, a horde of Orcs (11) rushed them. The warriors fought bravely and cut a few down, and the Orcs dealt out some wounds in return.

The next turn came. The Wizard rolled the power dice, and it came up as a '1'. An event card was drawn - monsters - so we rolled on the L1 Monster Table - and got the dreaded 66. So we rolled again - and came up with 5 Plaguebearers.

Things promptly got worse. Ragnar the incompetent Barbarian missed left, right, and centre, and got taken to 0 wounds once more, but the Elf's Healing Potion saved him. Zzap the Wizard slaughtered the hapless Orcs in a series of impressive Deathblows, and even managed to drop a couple of Plaguebearers into a Pit of Despair. Myzhor and Eaglecry fought bravely, but were isolated in a corner, and had little part to play.

A foul Orc managed to catch Zzap unaware, and dispatched the poor Wizard. Ragnar fell soon after. Eaglecry and Myzhor leapt into combat, but it was a case of too little, too late. With no healing and few wounds left, the horde of green monsters swiftly overcame them. Eaglecry fell to a Plaguebearer, leaving Myzhor to fight alone.

Then all was darkness.

NOTES:

Using the D66 Tables on the 1st adventure was a really bad idea. That, combined with the atrocious luck of the warriors and the Wizard's 'iffy' spells (Pit of Despair, Rebound, Resurrection), left the warriors in serious trouble.

I'll give the warriors chance to come back and try a different adventure, but just using the card deck instead of the tables for the first adventure or two. I don't recommend using the Tables for your first adventure, at any rate!

Necanthrope
08-01-2012, 15:15
Looking good Purplebeard!
I agree about the tables and early adventures. I wouldn't bother with them until you've played two or maybe three games.

Purplebeard
08-01-2012, 23:04
Yep, well and truly noted.

I played another game today, and gave the party a chance to redeem themselves, with the addition of Duke the Witch Hinter and Homer the Halfling. I'll give a full acount later this week, but it was action-packed, with cascades of event cards (at one point there were 6 or 7 at once). And Homer got a LOT of treasure.

Littlemonk
09-01-2012, 22:16
Really nice paint jobs! Love the battle scene setups as well!

Personally i collect metal minis. 99% are GW - but to my credit i have technically not paid GW single a cent since i've gotten everything off of eBay or from collectors.

I play WHQ only and not Fantasy Battles or Mordhiem, etc. My minis collection has been steadily growing since 2004 and i have well over 1000 minis. I'm not the best painter, although my wife manages to turn out some really nice pieces when she contributes.

I've done some custom fan-based projects that you might be interested in and have them listed on a custom board.

http://bwarhammerquestcustomized.runboard.com/

New users need to submit a request.

Please keep the pics coming! Your minis look fantastic!

Purplebeard
11-01-2012, 21:58
@Littlemonk: Thanks for the kind comments. There are plenty of better painters than me, but not many doing stuff for WHQ!

Is your board linked to bwarhammerquest.runboard.com or is it a different beast altogether? I am asking as I've lurked there for ages and have just joined up.

I agree with you 100% on buying 2nd hand only. The last figure I actually bought from GW was the White Dwarf 300 figure. I buy and sell lots on eBay etc, especially big collections or badly done 'junk' boxes. With a bit of TLC, almost anything can be rescued and 'brought back to life' :D

However, I have to add that I think GW have been turning out some lovely sculpts in the last couple of years. I am sorely tempted by the Wood Elves, and the Dark Eldar, the Harlequins, and some of the Undead stuff now :S

I have a lot more pics on my Dwarf and WHQ log (link in sig). I loved gaming around the time of WHQ etc and have amassed a good (but, alas, incomplete) collection of warriors. I don't know how I would cope with a collection of 1000 figures - I had to sell off a lot of stuff a few months back so that I could get the mental focus to do the rest!

I have to ask you the big question though - are yours all painted? ;)

Littlemonk
12-01-2012, 02:34
Is your board linked to bwarhammerquest.runboard.com or is it a different beast altogether? I am asking as I've lurked there for ages and have just joined up.

It is a separate board. And it's more of a "Download the Content" than a "Message" Board.

I have to ask you the big question though - are yours all painted? ;)

Lord, no! I'll be painting until the day i die! But it's been a fun process! I haven't painted much as of late. I've been working on a lot of writing projects for WHQ as well as playing the game!

You can check out my recaps on Boardgame Geek WHQ Sessions:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/4426/warhammer-quest/sessions

Handle is the_bummer

abdulaapocolyps
12-01-2012, 10:41
Hi purplebeard.you'll notice us sturdy dwarfs are always the last ones standing!
I have some resources you may be interested in. One is apost game bar room event generator. It gives you a scenario and dependent on you choices generates an outcome.
Second is a game helper.this works by having random monster tables that are customizable and by randomly generating items - it has all the card items scanned in.
Both are in Excel and are easy to use,but you can't post Excel files on here so pm me your email if you want them.

Necanthrope
12-01-2012, 18:24
Could I be cheeky, and ask for a copy of those too?
:D

Webwolf
12-01-2012, 19:03
I like it :)

Please continue with the Warhammer Quest.

Purplebeard
12-01-2012, 21:37
Replies:

@Littlemonk: Ahh, ok. I will submit a request to you then. I'll get it done in the next day or two.

My figures are nowhere near all painted. I'm really selective so that you only see the good stuff/finished stuff/stuff that currently interests me, and not 'the rest'. In all fairness I probably have a few hundred figures around the house, but I've only got my act together and consistently painted stuff in the last couple of years really. As the list of finished stuff grows, the 'list of stuff to do/get' increases, always faster and faster. The recent improvements in GW's sculpting and the emergence of great alt makers doesn't help matters :P

It'll take me a while to get through all of your session reports, but I've just browsed your gallery on boardgamegeek. I have just realised that I have your collection shot as 'inspiration' on my computer. When you said 1000 figures, I instantly thought of it:

The actual serious ultimate Warhammer Quest/Dungeoncrawl dream
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/643136/the_bummer?size=large

Wow. Awesome collection you have there! :D

@abdulaapocolyps: Thanks. That would be great. I'll PM you with my email address shortly.

@Webwolf: Thank you - we aim to please here :)

Do you play WHQ / Heroquest /dungeoncrawlers yourself?

Purplebeard
12-01-2012, 21:53
Hey everyone. I have some more Warhammer Quest situation shots:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Scenario2.jpg
Square Rooms Scenario

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/StealthyOgre.jpg
The Ogre makes a 'stealthy' entrance with the Bounty Hunter

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/HappyTrollslayerUnhappyWizard1.jpg
Happy Trollslayer, unhappy Wizard

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Lunch3.jpg
LUNCH!!!

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Duel.jpg
Duel. Even the Orc Boyz can't fail to be impressed by the crazy/tough 'humie'

Hope you like them. The new wolves are in there. The other figures you'll have seen before. The good news is, though, that I have finished the Manticore. Pics of him tomorrow!

Necanthrope
12-01-2012, 22:13
Excellent stuff Purplebeard!
Glad to see someone else uses the battle masters ogre as a warrior.
You've still got "white edge syndrome" though :D

Maniex
12-01-2012, 22:24
Your ogre is just plain awesome. I should also point out that I envy you your Lair Of The Orc Lord. Skabnoze and goblin jester rock!

Also, your warrior priest is exactly as he should be.

Purplebeard
13-01-2012, 19:28
Replies:

@Necanthrope: These photos are taken from a huge photography session which I did on the 30th December, that's why they have the white edges. I had Battlemasters back in the day and loved the Ogre - so I was really chuffed to get my hands on one and get him painted.

@Maniex: Thank you. I think I took more care over the Warrior Priest since he is one of my favourite characters. I was happy with how Skabnoze and the Gobbo Jester turned out. I'm working on more Orc and Goblin stuff now - Orc Archers and a Warboss on boar for now, with some Goblins maybe after that.

Updates:

I've also finished a Manticore for you all this week, whilst working on commissions. I don't get to paint monsters often, so this made a change:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Mant6.jpg
Manticore

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Mant4.jpg

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Mant5.jpg

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Mant1.jpg

I just noticed the grey on his wing when I edited the photos. I've also decided to make his eyes smaller (about 1/2-2/3 their current size), whilst retaining the colour. It should make him look a bit meaner and more fierce.:evilgrin:

I'm going to paint some monsters and work up to a classic 90s Wyvern and Shaman which I have sat in a box. The next monster up for painting is going to be a Cockatrice.

Necanthrope
14-01-2012, 09:54
I have to be honest and say I do not like that manticore. The sculpt has not aged well at all.

Purplebeard
14-01-2012, 19:52
@Necanthrope: Yep, to be fair I'm not altogether keen on the sculpt myself. I have messed the painting up a bit with the huge eyes, but a quick retouch will make it look a bit better. It was just 'around', so it got painted.

The Cockatrice is a nicer sculpt - it looks awkward and ungainly, but then it is supposed to - because it's a Cockatrice.

The Wyvern will be a lot better too, I promise. But you're going to have to wait a bit for him :)

HereBeDragons
24-01-2012, 15:53
I would agree that isnt the best model I've ever seen. But tbh Im not a massive fan of GW most recent manticore, nor the version before that either. There is definitely a need for a more awesome manticore model

Purplebeard
05-02-2012, 11:05
Hi guys sorry for the absence!

I have had a hectic fortnight. I was offered a job away from home, packed/moved/started it, and had to leave within a few days because I had an allergic reaction to some of the materials that they use. So now I'm back home and looking again. Oh well :rolleyes:

I also managed to pick up pretty much all of the White Dwarf magazines from 100 to now in a house clearance. Browsing through them has been a major distraction :p

On the good side, I have found the Heroquest colour schemes (they are in WD115ish), and I have now started painting my Sorceror. I also have a Rainbow Warlock nearing completion too :evilgrin:

I will get some pics up this week.

Anyway, onto replies:

@abdulaapocolyps: Your Merchant of Araby character and Excel events generator are great. I think you should maybe upload them to a free file-sharing site or put them on Warseer so that other people can try them too.

@Littlemonk: I am sorry I didn't get around to joining your site (life has been a little bit crazy). If it is still alright, I will try to as soon as I log out of here.

@HereBeDragons & Necanthrope: A LOT of the GW monsters from 'back in the day' were lacking in the awesomesauce department, to be fair. I liked the Marauder Cockatrice (it looks awkward, but it is supposed to), Eltharion on Stormwing, the Lammasu, and the Orc Shaman on Wyvern, but not many of the others. Grenadier/Mirliton has lovely dragons, and Scotia Grendel has some awesome big beasties. Some of the recent GW monsters look REALLY good too though. The Jabberslythe, Cockatrice, and maybe Warsphinx come to mind. For big monsters, I will probably go with a mix of these, and maybe try to get a couple of bits from alt manufacturers like Otherworld and Ultraforge too.

S_A_T_S
05-02-2012, 22:48
Urgh, that sounds awful. I get bad allergic reactions sometimes, and I recently moved house, so I can imagine some of what you've gone through. Ah well, at least you have a Quest project to distract you from your pains (it's how I distract from mine!)

Purplebeard
07-02-2012, 22:03
@S-A_T_S: Thanks for the support. But really, don't feel sorry for me. It was very minor, pretty much pathetic as far as allergic reactions go. It was pretty much just a rash and a couple of other bits, which I think was brought on by the safety gear. Of course, we have to be safe, and since I saw no alternative to to the safety gear, the safest thing for me to do was to leave :p

It all cleared up within a couple of days anyway. At any rate, I'm glad. I didn't like the job. I'm glad to have picked up a shedload of WD magazines, glad to be home, and glad to be carrying on with this hobby.

I'm liking your log and looking forward to how it develops btw ;)

Purplebeard
13-02-2012, 09:38
If you follow the Tale of Fantasy Painters, then you'll know I am assembling and painting up a 2000pt Chaos army this year, in addition to my WHQ and Dwarf stuff. I've made some good progress in the past couple of weeks, and thought I'd share, since these guys can easily be used for Quest.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/FP7.jpg
Rainbow Warlock - Chaos Sorceror Lord

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/FP13.jpg
Chaos Sorceror - from Heroquest. Finished except for his base.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/FP8.jpg

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/FP9.jpg
Juggernaut Hero of Khorne.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/FP12.jpg
The Chaos army so far

These guys are all between 1/2 and 2/3 done now, and I'm hoping to finish them within the next few weeks (and at the same time to get my Cockatrice done). The Knights are a bit awkward for Quest, but they could be used in the right scenario. The Juggernaut Hero and Sorcerors should really scare the warriors silly!

S_A_T_S
16-02-2012, 01:25
Ah, the old juggers. Amazing how they changed so much in each new iteration. Now they look like they could be alive, rather than a stone/metal statue...

Purplebeard
08-03-2012, 09:01
Hey everyone - I just thought I should post to let you know that I'm still alive. I've been really busy, but should have an update for you in a few days. :)

Purplebeard
17-03-2012, 21:31
Hey folks!

I've got a minor update now.

The Juggernaut Hero of Khorne is now finished (except for a shield, base and a banner).

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/20120317_16.jpg
Khorne Hero on Juggernaut

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/20120317_15.jpg

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/20120317_20.jpg

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/20120317_17.jpg

I am going to build up a base of rocks to give the figure some height and make it more imposing. I've decided that I'm going to have them tilted up wards slightly, so it will lopk as if the Hero is looking out over the top of a hill/cliff.

And I have started a Cockatrice:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/20120317_21.jpg
Cockatrice

If any of you follow Harry's threads, I am going to copy his colour scheme, except for a purple wattle on top of the head, green cheeks, and yellow eyes (for a more sickly/evil/magical/chaotic look).

Things have been busy, hence the lack of recent updates. Hopefully the next wait will be shorter!

Eboli
18-03-2012, 04:26
Looking good purplebeard as it is nice to see old miniatures making an appearance. WHQ is great for such pieces and your Juggernaut is looking the part!

benvoliothefirst
18-03-2012, 17:54
This is the first time I've seen the old juggernauts, really interesting. They seem to have almost an ancient Chinese/Mongolian influence with the metal mask. Perhaps these are from Cathay!

As always, it's great looking through the history of Citadel with you, Purplebeard. I really like the cocatrice color scheme, as well. Keep up the great work!

Purplebeard
19-03-2012, 10:10
Well the Cockatrice colour scheme has very little to do with me really. I'm only really messing with the face. I'm using this figure as a build-up to the '90s Orc Shaman on Wyvern, which is lurking at the back of one of my cupboards.

I guess the Juggernaut does have an 'Eastern' look about it though. Maybe I could do an 'Eastern' Chaos army with nomads, Snakemen and Tiger Beastmen? Or some Nippon Samurai?

Thanks for the kind comments!

Shas'El Tael
19-03-2012, 10:18
Some old figs there; always liked that Cockatrice, be interesting to see a modern interpretation.

I particularly like the muted scheme; in tone with the period of miniature painting they're from; really suits their no fuss details and softer lines compared to the digitally rendered uber-detail fest's of today.

Purplebeard
16-04-2012, 19:55
Hello everyone!

I have now finished the Juggernaut Hero and Cockatrice (well, except for their bases). Here are some pics:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/20120415x5.jpg
Khorne Hero on Juggernaut.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/20120415x4.jpg

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/20120415x1.jpg
Cockatrice

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/20120415x6.jpg

These two should keep the warriors busy for a while ;)

I've also managed to finish off some Orc Arrer Boyz (Archers), but pics of those guys will have to wait until later in the week.

Shas'El Tael
17-04-2012, 08:04
Looks good; the introduction of green for the cockatrice was a good move. Breaks up the Blue/Gold scheme it had going on earlier; nice improvement :)

Purplebeard
19-04-2012, 09:00
@Shas'El Tael: Thanks. The Cockatrice isn't my best ever figure but I am really happy with the colour scheme. I might try to find a small creature or two which I could add to the base as little statues - maybe rats or Snotlings, or a fleeing Goblin....

Shas'El Tael
22-04-2012, 14:51
Sucker for old school lead, so it is great to see them painted up for sure. Personally? I'd like to see a fleeing goblin :D

Purplebeard
06-05-2012, 11:49
Hey everyone been a bit busy IRL recently but it couldn't keep me away for too long :)

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/10.jpg
Khorne Hero on Juggernaut

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/5-1.jpg
A Cockatrice - all on its lonesome...

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/3.jpg
...and now it has spotted food - some yummy Orcs!

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/6-1.jpg
A close-up of the Orcs before they meet their grisly end!

I have just got the Juggernaut and Cockatrice based since last time I posted, and I've done some Orc Arrer Boyz. I couldn't settle on what to put on the Cockatrice's base, so I have left it alone for now.

In more very good news, I've made a strong start on some Goblin spearmen and archers, a Minotaur, an Orc Shaman and a mounted Orc Warlord. I've also got more work done towards making my own hobby website. I'm going to get these done and then move onto a Spider rider contingent and some 4e plastic Dark Elves.

I also have to take a moment to say that I think it is really great that we have such a revival of interest in WHQ going on right now, and it is really inspirational to see all of the great plogs.

See you soon!

S_A_T_S
06-05-2012, 12:46
Great to see you back, Purplebeard. The Jugger and Cockatrice look fantastic on those bases - classic models look great with a more modern paint job. Also loving the orcs; I always prefered bright colour schemes on my old school stuff. Shame the wife made me paint mine in more realistic tones (only way to get her to paint the other half ;))

Purplebeard
06-05-2012, 17:03
@S_A_T_S: Thanks. I love all the flash, bright yellows and reds for Orks. But grim, dark Orcs work well too.

I think in all honesty that the Cockatrice came out really well and that the photo makes it look better than it is - but I'm not complaining ;)

Purplebeard
11-05-2012, 17:55
Just a random and small update now.

Basically I just wanted to post to say that I have gotten my mitts on some old 'Dark World' figures. It was a dungeoncrawl game from the 90s but quite different to Heroquest and WHQ. I've managed to get a full set of the figures (but not the box/rules/etc). I had a copy back in the day but never managed to paint the figures so now I have an opportunity to do so!

The set consists of a plastic lizard sorceror (to use as a Tzeentch or Slaanesh Sorceror, maybe?), a (smallish) manticore, 4 small Ogres, a ghost/wraith, a couple of skeletons,a couple of mummies, 4 heroes, and a few unusual-looking orcs (which I may use as alternative 'counts-as' hobgoblins).

Anyway, here are a couple of links to pics on boardgamegeek.com.

All of the figures:
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/505031/dark-world?size=large

The game, all set up:
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1272497/dark-world?size=large

I think some of the figures will fit into WHQ games quite nicely. The only figures I'm not sure of are the Ogres - they are tiny compared to GW Ogres/Trolls/Minotaurs, so I'm not sure quite what to do with them. Any ideas would be appreciated :)

Necanthrope
11-05-2012, 18:31
Just a random and small update now.

Basically I just wanted to post to say that I have gotten my mitts on some old 'Dark World' figures. It was a dungeoncrawl game from the 90s but quite different to Heroquest and WHQ. I've managed to get a full set of the figures (but not the box/rules/etc). I had a copy back in the day but never managed to paint the figures so now I have an opportunity to do so!

The set consists of a plastic lizard sorceror (to use as a Tzeentch or Slaanesh Sorceror, maybe?), a (smallish) manticore, 4 small Ogres, a ghost/wraith, a couple of skeletons,a couple of mummies, 4 heroes, and a few unusual-looking orcs (which I may use as alternative 'counts-as' hobgoblins).

Anyway, here are a couple of links to pics on boardgamegeek.com.

All of the figures:
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/505031/dark-world?size=large

The game, all set up:
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1272497/dark-world?size=large

I think some of the figures will fit into WHQ games quite nicely. The only figures I'm not sure of are the Ogres - they are tiny compared to GW Ogres/Trolls/Minotaurs, so I'm not sure quite what to do with them. Any ideas would be appreciated :)

I have a box, boards, temple, cards, dice, doors, chests, weapons and set of rules for darkworld that I don't want. Shoot me a pm and we can make arrangements to get them to you.

As for the ogres, a little green stuff on the tusks and hair makes them into orc big uns.

Purplebeard
11-05-2012, 22:20
@Necanthrope: PM sent.

Thanks for the suggestions. The orc big 'uns idea isn't half bad. I'm not decided yet. Maybe I'll keep them as they are and 'count as' big 'uns/black orcs or something. Or perhaps I might make up some specific rules for 'baby ogres' or cavemen (lol).

Purplebeard
19-05-2012, 19:44
Hello everyone. I hope you're well.

I've been busy working away in my dungeon and have got a decent-sized update for you.

First of all, I've made a start on the Dark World figures:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/DW1-2.jpg
Dark World figures - Sorceror, Manticore, Ghost, Mummies, Skeletons, Orcs

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/DW6-1.jpg
Karnak - Evil Lizard Sorceror

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/DW7-1.jpg
Manticore

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/DW8-1.jpg
Manticore - shot from the other side.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/DW9-1.jpg
Orcs - i intend to use them as 'deformed'/hunchbacked Hobgoblin slave stand-ins.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/DW21-1.jpg
Ogres

For those of you who don't know, Dark World was a sort-of dungeoncrawl/board game. It came out in the 90s, a few years later than Heroquest (maybe 1994ish). The game came with loads of model treasure chests, potion bottles, and other things which would be good for converters/modellers. The figures fit-in well with Warhmmer stuff size-wise. thought they are a bit crude, they paint up nicely and would make good monsters for Warhammer Quest games.

Pics of the painted stuff (from above, plus Orcs & Goblins) to follow tomorrow!

BigRob
20-05-2012, 09:20
See if you can get the DarkWorld expansions, Village of Fear especially, the 3D village is great for warhammer games especially the evil windmill. My WHQ was greaty bolstered by miniatures from Heroquest, Darkworld and Legend of Zagor (which has a nice little dragon figure and the awesome zagor liche). Great work on the painting.

Purplebeard
20-05-2012, 10:34
@BigRob: Thank you for the tip. I've just looked those expansion sets up on boardgamegeek and they look really good. I have heard of Legend of Zagor before, and I saw some bits for it on eBay last week, but, alas, no complete dragon. I would like to get hold of a cheap (and decent) plastic dragon - either the Talisman 3rd Ed one, or one out of the Dark World and Zagor ones, just to show that it can be done really. But I suspect that it would probably be cheaper to just buy a metal one that I like.

The other thing with all of these dungeoncrawl games is the tendency of the different makers to repeat monster types - Orcs, Goblins and Skeletons tend to pop up a lot - so I'm going to have to find a way around that as I collect more figures.

Anyway, on to updates.

UPDATES

Dark World Stuff

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/DW2-2.jpg
Skeletons - sorry about the lousy pic.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/DW3-2.jpg
Mummies - i really like these figures.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/DW4.jpg
Ghost

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/DW5-1.jpg
Ghost alternate shot.

The ghost is quite big (the base is 25mm), but is not at all a scary or creepy figure. I think it is a lousy figure personally. However, I do like the mummies and skeletons - the poses are good, and the skeletons have great 'leering' faces. All in all, I'd recommend getting hold of a copy of Dark World and using the figs for your WHQ games.

Onto something else, and I have managed to pick up some Talisman characters:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/DW11-1.jpg
Sorceress and Alchemist - Talisman 3rd Ed

Eagle-eyed readers may have noticed that I already have a sorceress lurking back in the first couple of pages (somewhere), but I have never been happy with her. With this new one, I am going to copy the 'official' colour scheme, with black robes, and purple hair, and a better paint job on the skin.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Dw10-1.jpg
Armoured Skeletons

And now, some armoured skeletons. I bashed these together from some bits I had lying around. Do you think they would be good enough to represent Wights?

More to follow.

Purplebeard
20-05-2012, 10:50
Some nearly -finished Goblins and Orcs now:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/DW16-1.jpg
Goblin Spearmen

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/DW12-1.jpg
Goblin Archers

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/DW13-1.jpg
Fanatics

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/DW17-1.jpg
Orc Shaman

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/DW18-1.jpg
Orc Warboss

There are a few bits and bobs left to do, plus varnishing and basing. I am pleased with the red, yellow, and black colour scheme, though I have rushed the painting a bit.

Anyway, to round off the post, I thought I'd post a pic of all of this week's figures together:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/DW22-1.jpg
Group shot - more monsters for the warriors to face!

There are 30 new monsters, including a test Minotaur and Chaos Warrior. I'll be painting Chaos Warriors next, but I'm unsure what else to paint - maybe spiders or Dark Elves.

Sheena Easton
20-05-2012, 12:14
Dark World was a horrible game - but it had a few nice models. Those Skeletons are excellent and while I used to use Korak as a Vampire, it would make a great Tzeentchian Sorceror

Littlemonk
22-05-2012, 08:07
Great mummies! They remind me of the Citadel Night Horror ones, except it looks like yours are plastic? I use the Night Horror ones as the basic Mummies and the large, regular Citadel Mummies as the Mummy Tomb Kings.

The Minotaur looks great on a real base! I love the classical Juggernaut and Cockatrice as well (i own the same models) but i do prefer the Juggernaut on the base on not on that rock.

BigRob
22-05-2012, 08:31
The advantage of the Zagor dragon is it is very small (fits on a regular 20mm base) and tall so you can crowd models around it without catching them on wings and arms.

If you get Zagor, play it a few times before you cut it up, its hilarious with the (primitve) computer controlled badguy.

Purplebeard
22-05-2012, 09:11
Thanks everyone for having a look!

Replies time:

@Sheena Easton: I had a copy back in the day but I never played it - I just painted the modesl and used them for Warhammer/WHQ/Heroquest related stuff, and they slowly disappeared/got broken over the years. I just saw them on eBay and thought they'd be a nice buy. I like Karnak too - the model is pretty different and I'll use him as a chaos sorceror. His originbal colours are blue, purple, and green anyway, so he'd fit Tzeentch nicely.

@Littlemonk: Yep - they are plastic ones from Dark World, a 'not Heroquest' game from the 90s. That is a brilliant idea with the mummies - I wish I had thought of it. I understand that plonking the juggernaut on a big rock is a matter of taste. but he's primarily for Fantasy (though he will get used for Quest too), and the model just lacks height compared to the old metal chaos knights (and just about everything else too).

Thanks for the kind comments about the minotaur too. he was fun to paint.

@BigRob: Hmm that is a good thought - a small dragon would be more practical. I do think that I would like some big and imposing nasties for my dungeons though. There were some Zagor bits on eBay last week (not the dragon) but I missed them.

Purplebeard
31-05-2012, 19:29
Hey everyone - the figures from last have been based up.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/bh1-1.jpg
Group shot - done!

More soon folks :)

Purplebeard
08-06-2012, 10:20
A small update now:

Some Dwarven wenches (bit random):

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/w7-4.jpg
Dwarf womenfolk

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/w2-5.jpg
Heaven - bread, beer, and women. Plus cheese. There was some wine too, but these two probably drank it.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/w5-4.jpg
A lady of the night....

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/w6-4.jpg

They might come in handy for RPG games. Maybe as random townfolk, or NPCs. Maybe even as part of some terrible trap - tempting the warriors with bread and beer :evilgrin:

And a close-up of this guy:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/DW19-1.jpg
Chaos Warrior

He's my test model for warriors of Khorne. I'm going to do a unit of 18 for my ToFP 2011/12 army. And of course they will double up for Quest.

Andy_T
08-06-2012, 18:57
Great stuff! You'll have some fun with dwarven wenches as NPC's lol

Purplebeard
08-06-2012, 21:49
@Andy_T: The last one is quite vampy for a Dwarf. She could be the least successful Lahmian vampire in the Old World - with a face only a fellow Dwarf could love (and that's pushing it) :D

I think the maid with the blue dress has the best shot - lure the warriors with beer :evilgrin:

constant_ones
10-06-2012, 23:15
Man those old heros quest chaos warriors bring back memories, love the old school models in this thread, they were some of my very first models, so it's always nice to see them get some love

S_A_T_S
10-06-2012, 23:30
That plastic warrior was the very first model I ever painted. It was in the old paint set around 2nd ed along with a marine. It would be great to strip it and use it for WHQ, but it is my first model, so I'm not gonna do that ;)

Yours is painted really nice and cleanly. It looks great. Also love the dwarven women. Shame they don't have beards tho...

Purplebeard
11-06-2012, 09:03
@constant_ones: It's only partly deliberate. In some cases I prefer the older stuff, in others I just have it lying about, and in others it's just cheaper!

I am looking forward to Elves and Daemons because there are a lot of great newer figures, and they'll make a change for me. But they are some way off too.

I still have my original Barbarian and Wizard somewhere, along with my first Heroquest Dwarf. I will try and get a picture up soon.

@S_A_T_S: Yep I am pleased with him. I'm on with another five now, and will build the unit up to 18 for WFB. I don't have my first painted model anymore, but I do have my first painted model that I was happy with - a Heroquest Dwarf. I'l ltry and get a picture up for you soon.

Shas'El Tael
14-06-2012, 13:07
I'm with Constant-Ones, there is a certain aesthetic to the old school models that just brings back memories and causes my ebay nerve to twitch :)

Purplebeard
16-06-2012, 19:02
Well, everyone, I don't know if any of you have been following eBay this week, but somebody was selling a collection of Warhammer Quest stuff on eBay - the boxed set (complete) + both expansions (complete, only 1 box), all 3 treasure card decks, and all of the warrior packs (complete but unboxed).

How much did it go for?

Have a guess (no cheating!), then check this link:
Warhammer Quest and nearly all of the expansions. (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warhammer-Quest-Massive-Bundle-Inc-Both-Expansions-And-All-Heroes-/270991864219?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item3f185fb19b)

Was it a good buy? Was it too much? Too little? I don't know. And I didn't buy it, though I was very tempted to bid.

-----------------------

Anyway, in my world, I spent the much lesser sum of £10 and picked up these figures from the Dark World expansion, Village of Fear:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/dw1-3.jpg
Dark World and Village of Fear figures.

There are some nice figures here. I'll be selling the 4 skeletons, 4 warriors, 6 orcs (there are 2 extra not shown), 4 ogres, minotaur, haunter body, wolf, karnak and the manticore, and keeping the rest (If anybody is interested, please PM me).

There are actually some little gems in here:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/dw9-2.jpg
Hobgoblins - actually decent, pretty mean-looking guys

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/dw10-2.jpg
Cobrans - chaos snakemen basically. Could make up rules or at a push might count them as gorgons or something.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/dw12-2.jpg
A big guy - looks quite troll-like. I'm thinking of using him as a Strigoi vampire though, or one of those new giant ghouls.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/dw13-2.jpg
The Warlord - a vaguely Eastern-looking boss character who reminds me a bit of Shredder from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/dw14-2.jpg
And this charming little fella

I actually quite like the hobgoblins and the snakemen (except for the blades on the ends of their axes). These guys should certainly all help to boost the ranks of my monstrous hordes.

More to follow.

Purplebeard
16-06-2012, 19:22
And more Village of Fear stuff:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/dw16-2.jpg
Some nice warriors - a man-at-arms, warrior monk, and samurai. I like the expression on the monk's face.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/dw19-2.jpg
Man-at-arms close-up.

I like these guys, especially the man-at-arms. I have been planning to write him up as a character for Quest (not at all inspired by He-Man of course ;) ). I had planned to use the old Advanced Heroquest henchman (with a bit of conversion, but this guy just looks more heroic. I'm thinking of writing him as being somewhere close to the barbarian and dwarf in terms of skills, weapons, and locations. He'll very definitely have a practical bent and be more educated than the barbarian, with slight engineering/tinkering skills perhaps, more soldiery-type skills, and less of the barbarians' brute-strength/ferocity-type skills and the dwarf's emotional/vengeance-type stuff. I think that some bodyguard skill or similar would be appropriate, along with maybe one or two honour-related skills.

Anyway, I'll write him up soon.

In other news, I have painted up my new Sorceress:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/whq10.jpg
Sorceress

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/whq13.jpg

I'm pretty happy with her. I know that I didn't go all out on the detail as I had planned, but I think she's a definite improvement over the old one.

And lastly for today, I have finished my Chaos Rainbow Wizard:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/wc2.jpg
Chaos Rainbow Wizard

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/wc3.jpg

I based the wings on pictures of real butterflies. I'm glad he's finished, and pretty happy with him, though not 100%. I definitely have ideas now on how I would improve him if I had another shot at painting the model.

Anyway, that is it for this week folks, as real life has been very busy. Hopefully I'll be able to post some more next week.

S_A_T_S
17-06-2012, 23:51
Those old models looks great, especially the Village of Fear stuff. Getting all of that for less than £10 seems damn good deal to me. The big eBay auction of everything seems about right going by other prices I've seen. Pretty pricey, but if you had the money, not too bad.

Painting on the two magic users is brilliant. The butterfly wings are pretty realistic, but I love the hair on the sorceress most.

constant_ones
18-06-2012, 00:11
LOVE, the dark elf sorceress hair coloring, in my cold one take 2, and all subsequent dark elves for quest, I want to use the same effect, dark elves were the first Warhammer army I actually wanted desperately to collect, and part of it was that great hair on the witch elves and sorceress, the bright colors exploding in the darker veins of the army made them a visual feast, really glad you stuck with the old school scheme!

Purplebeard
18-06-2012, 10:02
Cheers guys.

@S_A_T_S: Well I would have considered paying it as a collector, but I would be iffy if I was looking to resell. If the buyer is looking at getting the top price for that stuff, they might have to wait a long while for it to sell. I hope the guy who got that lot gets a lot of pleasure/money out of it anyway. As for me, I'm happy with the tenner I spent. I'm planning to resell about half the stuff from that initial picture anyway.

@constant_ones: I love the Dark Elves too. I'm looking forward to getting some for my Quest project - there are some great figures out there now.

I slightly rushed the sorceress but I found that my hair colours weren't bright enough. So I changed it up by starting the hair from a white base colour, whilst keeping the black base for the rest of the figure. I won't repaint the warlock, but if I did, that's the main thing I would change - I'd work up the colours from white in the same way as I have for the sorceress.

Shas'El Tael
18-06-2012, 13:33
Wow.. you have been busy. I'm liking the werewolves from that set you picked up. Very Heroquest vibe in their design. I saw the link to EBay.. mother of gosh..thats a lot of dosh. I think I'm still blinking at reading the final price.

I've found most of my eBay purchases reasonable by comparison and very helpful in building my collection for the new season of themed games.

As for painting, I agree on your sentiments, the sorceress has come across stronger due to the technique used. :)

Littlemonk
23-06-2012, 07:35
And more Village of Fear stuff:

And lastly for today, I have finished my Chaos Rainbow Wizard:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/wc2.jpg
Chaos Rainbow Wizard

I based the wings on pictures of real butterflies. I'm glad he's finished, and pretty happy with him, though not 100%. I definitely have ideas now on how I would improve him if I had another shot at painting the model.

Anyway, that is it for this week folks, as real life has been very busy. Hopefully I'll be able to post some more next week.

I've got the same model - never been painted, never been primed. I'm up for a trade if you're serious. I pay postage for both of us. ?

Harry
24-06-2012, 06:39
Love the Dwarf wenches. Where do you find this stuff???
Love the Sorceress in wellies. Whin I get around to painting mine I may ahve to yake a craft knife to those boots. :D
I think you got a good buy there but I suspect that the guy who bought the quest bundle do Ok too by buying it all in one lot liek that. Quest seems to go for around £140 the two expansions for £60 the characters from £15-£50 the treasure packs for about £30 each!!!! so when you add it all up bought individually ... It is still silly money.

I got a second copy in a sale (when specialist games were wound down) for £10 .... There was as stack of 15 boxes. If I had known what I know now I would have bought the lot.. :cries:

Purplebeard
24-06-2012, 11:05
@Shas'El Tael: If only I had that amount of dosh sitting around ;)

I find that junk boxes and collections are great for bulking up my collection - and I'm not too picky about sources for my figures either. Most of them look good with a decent paintjob. Your Bretonnian project is interesting, especially since they are too-often overlooked.

@Littlemonk: Thank you for the very generous offer. I will have a little think about it - partly because I don't know if I want to paint another one of these guys right now. I prmoise not to leave you hanging for long :)

@Harry: Yeah the WHQ guy will be ok if he sets his prices high on BIN and is prepared to sit in the stuff for a while. I reckon he could get up to about £850 for that lot, if he can get maximum eBay prices for everything - so he could turn in a profit of £250-300 in the end (at a stretch).

I've always liked that Sorceress figure - it's a shame they never released her in metal. I would like to get the AoW one too.

The wenches and the Halberdiers/spearmen and knights come from 'White Knight's Miniature Imperium' - just doa web search and you'll find it. Its a fun little site, and most of his figures have separate and intechangeable heads and weapons. He even does some plug-in weapon guys who are compatible with the old plug-in Marauder dwarfs.

You couldn't have known about WHQ. Don't feel too bad about it :P

constant_ones
25-06-2012, 01:18
That dark elf sorceress is plastic? I never knew that! Alays assumed she was a metal mini to go along with the bleeding heart sorcerer from that time period of dark elf. What are you planning on doing with your horror minis? The catacombs of terror expansion?

Harry
25-06-2012, 08:06
Just watched three packs of Treasure cards sell on e-bay last night.
Pack 1 sold for £60 GBP. :eek: ... I remember these being sold off for £1 a deck. :cries:
This guy got over £130 GBP for the three decks of cards.

Purplebeard
26-06-2012, 09:09
@constant_ones: Yep. She was plastered all over the Dark Elf 4e army book, but was actually only released as a plastic figure in Talisman Dragon's Tower. Another case of GW not following through on good things :shifty:

I've got the Catacombs of Terror figures, but not the boards and rules yet. I'm planning to pick then up in bits as I go along. What I'm currently doing is getting monsters together, mostly on an army-by-army basis, but with a bit of what I like thrown in too. The Undead are first because they are the quickest and easiest to paint!

@Harry: I'd love to get hold of these - but they're low on my questing priorities list. There are plenty of items in the books and on fansites anyway.

Harry
26-06-2012, 20:09
What is TOP of your questing priorities list?

BigRob
26-06-2012, 22:47
Just watched three packs of Treasure cards sell on e-bay last night.
Pack 1 sold for £60 GBP. :eek: ... I remember these being sold off for £1 a deck. :cries:
This guy got over £130 GBP for the three decks of cards.

I sold my copy of Pits and Traps for well over £100 and that was two board sections and a sheet of A4 paper.

I got the three extra treasure decks and the blank events card pack included in my boxed copy of Quest when I brought it in the clearence sale, did they do that to clear the old stock or was I just lucky?

Harry
27-06-2012, 06:34
I sold my copy of Pits and Traps for well over £100 and that was two board sections and a sheet of A4 paper.

I got the three extra treasure decks and the blank events card pack included in my boxed copy of Quest when I brought it in the clearence sale, did they do that to clear the old stock or was I just lucky?Just lucky I guess. When they shifted specialist games from the shelves each shop would have done their own thing to get rid of as much stuff as they could.

Now I did buy several packs of blank event cards so I would never run out. I have used two in ten years. :shifty:

Purplebeard
27-06-2012, 19:54
@Harry: TOP of the list - hmm, that is tricky. I am currently working on getting together everything for the Undead and Orcs/Goblins. I'm also looking at cheaply getting as many monsters together as possible from the old 90s games and Warhammer sets. In terms of only the WHQ specific stuff, I would like to get the Catacombs of Terror stuff rules/cards/boards, etc first. So yes, the CoT stuff and Undead for me :)

@BigRob: Amazing price there! I think I can manage without 'Pits & Traps'. That was a lucky find!

Thragnar
30-06-2012, 23:25
I love the way your models are painted..
Great work Purplebeard

BigRob
01-07-2012, 08:15
@BigRob: Amazing price there! I think I can manage without 'Pits & Traps'. That was a lucky find!

Lucky as in, I asked the nice man behind the counter at Nottingham if I could buy it, payed my £6 odd and he went out the back, picked it out, put in in a bag and said "Have a nice day" :D I also got a few extra issues of Deathblow 3 to cut up for the Lord of Anerions battle trance counters.

This was a while ago of course, when the HQ store also sold all the Hogshead WFRP books.

You will find some good stuff in the Catacombs of Terror pack, might be worth grabbing the old "Dungeon Floorplan" packs that are on eBay at a reasonable price.

Purplebeard
05-08-2012, 10:42
Hi everyone.

I just thought I'd post to let you all know that I'm not dead or anything. I have though, been horrendously busy with job interviews and have finally landed a job. The commute is long, so I haven't had much time for anything else - progress on WHQ stuff has been slow. However, I am working on more stuff and will be back with more soon.

Replies:

@Thragnar: Thank you very much. I've been doing it for a while so I'm pretty good, but I'm always learning more!

@BigRob: Fantastic (except for the bit about cutting up Deathblow 3) :O

I have acquired nearly all of the White Dwarf magazines from the WFRP era (issues 100-140ish). When I have some more time/money (after 40K Squats and WHQ Undead), I will look into getting hold of some of the books - I am sure some of the ideas/scenarios could be adapted for WHQ.

Purplebeard
12-08-2012, 17:41
Not much of an update. I just thought that I'd tell you that I've finally restarted my Elf Ranger (attempt 3). Wish me luck!

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/WHQWIP.jpg

EldritchGamer
13-08-2012, 07:39
Good luck, Purplebeard! For my part, I am painting an Avatars of War Savage Orc Boss and an old-ish GW War Savage Orc Shaman with a dodgy loin cloth of green0stuff. And have been for the last six weeks!

azhagmorglum
15-08-2012, 23:18
Good luck then ! ^^

constant_ones
16-08-2012, 03:55
Good luck on the high elf, I briefly considered doing a small army of wood elves when they were first released, but after painting the faces of 20 glade guard I quickly reconsidered! Pesky elf faces!

Purplebeard
07-11-2012, 15:52
Sorry for the long break folks. I've been occupied with DBA and FOW commissions, and non-wargames work.

Replies:
@EldritchGamer: Thank you. I'm sure I'll need it!

@azhagmorglum: Thank you too.

@constant_ones: Thanks. I like the newer Wood Elves. I would like to do an Elf army myself - I'm not sure what flavour though.

Updates:

I have managed to get some painting done recently. This week, I have done a few bits for Quest:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/W1-1.jpg
WHQ Monsters - More Orcs, Mummies, and Skeletons, plus some Rats!

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/W10-1.jpg
Ghosts - an easy-to-paint way to use up old random figures.

All of these guys just need basing up. Next we have some WIP stuff:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/W5-5.jpg
Chaos Warriors - 2/3 done - you can get the idea from the finished guy.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/W7-5.jpg
Elf Ranger - 2/3 done

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/W6-5.jpg
Liche (Arkhan the Black) plus Alchemist and random Artist

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/W9.jpg
Mummy Tomb Kings

This lot have a decent chance of being done by the end of this week. I think I'm going to nail the paint job on the Elf this time. I've broadly copied the original paint job by GW. He needs a bit of tidying up yet though.

And I just have one more little update to come....

Purplebeard
07-11-2012, 15:54
I got hold of this guy the other day.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/W8.jpg
Who is it?

Can you identify him?

toonboy78
07-11-2012, 16:58
ingrimm van horsmann (sp?) guy on a big dragon

Theatralic
07-11-2012, 19:57
ingrimm van horsmann (sp?) guy on a big dragon
Jöp, thats him only missing his two headed dragon. Nice stuff Purplebeard, allways was interested in what you have apart from your Dwarves!
Never played Warhammer Quest but would love to.

Purplebeard
07-11-2012, 22:14
@toonboy78: Congratulations - you got it in one.

@Theatralic: You're close to what I'm getting at. He's only missing his dragon in the picture. I can thoroughly recommend it. The feeling of getting your first warrior to Level 10 is amazing. It is also easily customisable, and has a wealth of supporting material on the internet. I would recommend getting hold of the rulebooks and some board sections when they come up for sale. You can grab a set minus the figures for a sensible price, and you can easily find proxies - there are loads of figures you can proxy in, many of which are frankly better than the old monopose plastics from the box. It has loads of fan-made contributions on the internet too, and is very easy to customise.

What this means is that Egrimm and his dragon are the next thing on my 'to do' list. A nice big dragon to worry the warriors haha :evilgrin:

Purplebeard
15-11-2012, 18:35
Hello everyone. So today we have some basically finished stuff.

Finally, the Elf Ranger is complete:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/WHQ6.jpg
Elf Ranger on the left

The other guy is a Marauder 'artist' figure. Maybe he could be a warrior or a NPC. I decided to give him suitably weird and colourful clothing. I'm relatively happy with the Elf Ranger now, though I think I'll give him another layer of highlights on the metallic areas. I'll get you guys a bigger and better picture soon.

In addition:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/WHQ2-1.jpg
Some Chaos Warriors

So all together, I've gotten a good little lot of figures together over the last couple of weeks:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/WHQ1-1.jpg
More Monsters (and a couple of adventurers in the wrong place)

These guys will all be based up between now and the weekend. Maybe some of them might make it into a solo quest at the weekend. Its been a while since I actually got my stuff out and had a game. I did get my boards out and finally finished going over all of the edges with a marker pen, and I do have to say that that was the best tip ever - it made them look a million times better (many thanks to Necanthrope!)

Well now I am working on Mummy Tomb Kings and a Liche, and have Dark Elves and a Liche King (not forgetting Egrimm van Horstmann and his dragon Baudros), so hopefully I'll be able to bring you more figures soon :)

Daemonslave
15-11-2012, 19:59
Really nice ranger, I know from experience that sometimes it can be difficult to motivate yourself to repaint something that you have spent a fair bit of time on but you have really done it justice. The group shot also looks good, I bet they are a lot of fun to play with.

:)

Purplebeard
21-11-2012, 10:03
Thanks Daemonslave!

I've actually filled a dull box file of painted figures for WHQ now. So I am really chuffed with that. I have managed to get a couple of games in; will update at the weekend :)

Purplebeard
21-11-2012, 10:03
Thanks Daemonslave!

I've actually filled a dull box file of painted figures for WHQ now. So I am really chuffed with that. I have managed to get a couple of games in.

Update to follow at the weekend :)

Shas'El Tael
23-11-2012, 08:38
Really like that Ghost idea! Might just utilise that for my undead zoo :D

Looking good overall and the group shot with wayward heroes, well.. mighty fine :)

Feel your pain with regard readdressing a miniature, that not quite right vibe drives me to distraction at times!

Purplebeard
25-11-2012, 21:58
@Shas'El Tael: Thanks. It beats having the figures sat in a box unused for another goodness-knows-how-long. I used a mix of 'good' and 'bad' guys for the ghosts - the dungeon is dangerous for everyone!

Well I've been busy this week. I've finally started putting my WHQ website together. Today I've basically done a top banner and the buttons. I'm going to call it 'Purplebeard's Warhammer Quest' or something similar, and I want to get it done by the end of the year. I'm going to get lots of figure pictures up on there (which is omething a lot of quest fansites are short on), and include some new warriors (initial plans include the Man-At-Arms, the Halfling Kettleknight, Dwarf Shieldmaiden and Gnome Illusionist). The site will include some game reports too, and in the longer term, I'm planning to do a couple of campaigns (starting with the Dwarfs and then an Ogre family). Anyway, I will keep plugging away at that and will tell you guys as soon as it goes live.

Thalenchar
25-11-2012, 23:03
Oh, that site sounds it'll be great fun to visit. With WHQ interest spiking in my gaming group recently, I'll be keeping a close eye on its completetion!

Purplebeard
28-11-2012, 20:55
@Thalenchar: I've done a bit more work on it this week - a header banner and the CSS file, and I've been looking through my pics. I want the site to have lots of pics. I've also been working on a Dwarf Shieldmaiden character.

---

Anyway, I told you all that I'd let you know how my games went.

Well last week I started a new party of warriors off. I went for a standard set-up of Zandor the Wizard, Grokki the Dwarf, Elhazar the Elf, and Hendrik the Barbarian. The intrepid warriors' first mission was 'The Hero Awakens' - a quest to find the magical tomb of a long-dead hero of Kislev and bring him back to life, so that he can lead his people to victory over a huge invasion of monsters. Venturing into the depths, the warriors has a hard time of things, running into countless spiders and snotlings. Every event seemed to spawn another, and the heroes found themselves webbed up and being peppered with goblin arrows on more than one occasion.

Fortunately, Zandor the mighty wizard stepped up and slew vast numbers of beasties, and with a combination of his awesome sword skills and deadly Freeze! spell, slew silly numbers of orcs and skaven, and slew all of the minotaurs, robbing the other warriors of the chance to do so!

Grokki the dwarf acquitted himself well, though he did miss out on several good kills due to his slow speed. He fought bravely and chopped up many skaven and orcs, and saved some of the others from dungeon critters a couple of times too.

Elhazar, the elven hero, put in a shameful performance. He couldn't seem to do anything right, and had endless problems getting out of spider webs. Giant rats nearly made a eal of him on several occasions, and virtually all of the healing spells and potions went on him too. The wizard's draw of the 'Resurrection' healing spell mostly didn't help, but did eventually prove useful when Zandor had to ressurect the elf. In the objective room though, Elhazar put in some effort and managed to slay a few orc warriors.

Hendrik, the barbarian and leader, did a generally good job, chopping up monsters and dungeon nasties happily as he went along. Sadly though, he took too many wounds (as a result of all his scrapping and Elhazar using up all of the healing), and the the very end he died at the hands of the minotaur in the Tomb Chamber.Fortunately Zandor managed to resurrect him too, but not before he lost all of his gold and treasure.

After all of their struggles, the warriors finally managed to clear the dungeon and bring the Kislevite hero back to life, before making their way back to civilization. Zandor managed to get a fantastic 2670 gold, whereas Hendrik only made a lousy 25g!

More on their adventures tomorrow....

Shas'El Tael
30-11-2012, 02:12
..and that's why I love Warhammer Quest. Poor old Hendrik, and on top of it the Wizard was apparently out slaying him too! :D

Purplebeard
30-11-2012, 19:33
Well the visit to town went well - for Zandor the Mighty, wizard extraordinaire. After a reasonably peaceful trip back to the city (during which the Elf broke his ankle!), he managed to secure training and went up to battle level 2, and picked up the spells Cure Small Wounds, Iron Skin, and Firehammer along the way. The addition of a cheap (1 power) healing spell will surely be a blessing to the party. Aside from that, he also had a fantastic steam bath and gained a wound from its wonderful restorative properties.

Grokki, the Dwarf spent his time in the dwarf quarter, where he picked up firebombs, and flash powder, and otherwise spent most of time gambling with petty cash. He pulled off some nice little wins and won 40 gold, but lost most of it with copious drinking and living the high life.

As for Elhazar and Hendrik, they didn't really do much. Elhazar managed to buy his healing herbs, but that's about it. Poor Hendrik couldn't afford to do anything - he tried his luck at the gambling house, but only came out evens, and then found himself betrothed to be wed to one of the locals (gulp!).

Needless to say, he beat a valiant retreat to a remote location outside of the city, where he had to wait for the other warriors to join him....

Purplebeard
02-12-2012, 12:09
Well hello again. Its been another busy week.

TO DO LIST
I've still got 2 Quest games to update you on.
I've nearly finished writing up the Dwarf Shieldmaiden and Dwarf Battle Wizard characters.
I've made progress on the website.
I need to update you on the painting and collecting front.
Egrimm and Baudros the chaos dragon.

Well today I'll sort out 2 (and a bit) of these - the last two (and a bit of the first). So - on with painting and collecting:

Painting and Collecting:

I haven't completed much, but I have finished the mummy tomb kings and a dark elf practice model.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/wp7.jpg
These guys are quite fun and easy to paint.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/wp6.jpg
This guy could probably do with a suitable shield transfer.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/wp8.jpg
Group shot - they just need basing.

In addition, I have taken the Liche a little bit further.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/wp10.jpg
Liche

His robes are going to be white and his cloak either black or purple. I am not yet sure as to whether I'll leave his sword plain black, or piant it in a green-and-black marbled effect, or whether I'll go for a 'glowing' deep red colour. I think I'll finish him next week though.

I've also been very lucky and managed to pick up some old 'night horrors' types, including gorgons, a lahmia, a werewolf, and several other bits, all in a really nicely painted condition. I've just spruced them up a little, so I can't claim them as my own work and won't post them as such.

The real coup though, was getting hold of some of these guys:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/wp11.jpg
Citadel Mindflayers

In the (very) long term, I would really like to do a Cthulthu/tyranid/fishmen/alien/horror type campaign in Quest. These guys would be absolutely perfect for the purpose. I will get some paint on them next week.

Gaming:

Well the warriors went another adventure. This time it was the Sword of Power, and Hendrik the barbarian had to go and retrieve the sword, which was a precious heirloom and had been stolen from his father. Unfortunately the sword was at the bottom of the fighting pit, guarded by a fearsome minotaur.

Hendrik did fairly well for himself in the adventure, and managed to easily deal with the skaven, rats and bats which seemed to swarm all over the place, before descending to fight and (eventually!) slay the minotaur guardian.

As ever, Zandor slew scores of monsters, including pulling off a handy freeze spell to clear a whole room of orcs at one point, and he killed a minotaur when a group of extra minotaurs popped up on an unexpected event in the objective room.

Elhazar, the party elf, had some success in slaying greenskins and skaven, and racked up a decent list of kills. Grokki too had a reasonable time, and acquitted himself well. Sadly though, he found himself stuck against rats and snotlings for much of the time.

Ultimately, the adventure proved to be quite an easy one due to the dungeon deck. Many passagways popped up, and then at the halfway point, 2 t-junctions popped up together. The warriors got lucky, picked the right doors, and ended up right in the objective room, where they easily dealt with orcs and some minotaurs who appeared later on, though Hendrik made a meal of the boss minotaur.

After completing the adventure, the warriors headed to town. On the way, Grokki chanced upon some of his relatives in the aftermath of a vicious attack. Many of his cousins were slaughtered by Dark Elves, so Grokki has sworn vengeance upon them - he now hates them. The warriors travelled on, and, light on supplies, made the decision to stop off and restock in a plague-ridden town.

In spite of the plague, Grokki and Zandor had a fantastic time. Zandor gained blessings from the wizard's guild and gained +3 permanent wounds, whilst Grokki learned new skills at the fighting school and gained +1A in his profile. Hendrik made a shrewd investment in a mining company. Poor Elhazar though, had rotten luck. He did a good deed and found himself out of pocket. Then he was targeted by pickpockets and lost more. He even managed to get drugged. And on top of all that, he caught the plague, leaving him at -1T for his next adventure.

Egrimm and Baudros:

I have made minimal progress on this project - I've just done a couple of brown basecoats.

Luckily, I have found something much better and much bigger to add to the dungeon. More soon....

Daemonslave
02-12-2012, 12:51
Nice stuff Purplebeard, in particular the Liche, can wait to see him finished. There's difinately something about the older models that screams more character than the newer ones, even if (IMO) most of the newer sculpts are better in quality. Is it just nostalgia or was it that the designers were allowed to be more quirky with their designs.

Either way, good job!

Shas'El Tael
02-12-2012, 23:29
I've nearly finished writing up the Dwarf Shieldmaiden and Dwarf Battle Wizard characters.
Reminds me, I need to stopping mixing about and write up the draft for the Alchemist idea of mine.

Good work on the undead lads; envious of you snapping up that DE swordsman, trying to make an Anit-Hero set myself. :)

Purplebeard
04-12-2012, 23:24
REPLIES:

@Daemonslave: Yeah, some of the older stuff was quite quirky. I just go for a mix of stuff I like and stuff I can afford I guess. I like a lot of the sculpts GW has brought out in the last few years (some of the new vampires, the Isabella sculpt, the wight king, etc). I would buy a lot more from GW if the figures were still made out of metal rather than plastic and resin. I like painting the undead stuff. After the Liche, I have a Nagash model to do - I'm going to copy Harry though and resculpt its face though. But I'm starting to run out of undead models now.

@Shas'El Tael: I know - but there only so many hours in a day. You can only do so much. The Dark Elf was fun to paint - he was just the first of 10. I'm hoping to get those done shortly. My productivity may dip because I'm starting a couple of FOW and DBA commissions this week.

UPDATES:

I told you I had something bigger and better than Egrimm and Baudros (the old chaos dragon), and I do.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/wp14.jpg
One BIG fella!

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/wp15.jpg
Look at the Dark Elves for scale :evilgrin:

Its a massive old school 80s/90s Grenadier Emperor Dragon. It cost hardly anything, came in only 4 or 5 metal pieces, and is a heck of a lot of a nicer sculpt than most of the 80s Citadel dragons IMO. Baudros isn't as tall as this guy (even though he is stood on his hind legs).

I'm looking at a big base for him - probably a 20x10cm (that's a 50 man infantry unit base), and will definitely do something special with it to take advantage of the scale of the figure (possibly a knight just pictured just prior to getting squashed). He'll have a tough job to fit in any dungeon rooms, that's for sure. His base will end up being some sort of plinth, probably.

As of now, he's only about half done. The insides of the wings will be a fleshy colour, as will his underbelly. His claws and horns will be worked up to a bone colour, but I might do some sort of pattern on his face - maybe like animal markings, but I am not decided on that course yet. The red is basically done but might need a bit of something extra. I'll decide what to do with it when I've done the flesh & bone colours.

Shas'El Tael
05-12-2012, 09:40
Holy.. that guy is brilliant. What a find!

Look forward to your painting adventures with this one.

Actually, I'm not sure about a base for this guy. Perhaps sealing up that interior section, say.. a damsel in distress underneath him, replaceable with a chest etc etc.

Using just the supplied triangle brace, it allows players to get in close and look suitably heroic, slashing at his flanks.. doing dice rolls to avoid talon/tail sweeps.

- Seb

Purplebeard
17-12-2012, 23:08
Hi guys.

I have the first draft of the Dwarf Shieldmaiden rules available now (though they are not quite complete!). The Shieldmaiden fills a fighter/healer/protector type role in all-dwarf parties. She is a decent fighter with excellent healing and antimagic skills, and some resistance to special forms of damage and illness. To balance her healing capabilities, she has slightly lower WS and BS than the dwarf, and some weapon and armour restrictions. She is also obliged to help the sick and needy whenever she encounters them.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/DSH23-1.jpg
Shieldmaiden

NOTES:

The Shieldmaiden has been quite an extensive write-up, as she is very different to some of the other warriors. I've tried to keep her rules fairly simple and easy to follow. C&C welcome.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/DSH2-2.jpg
Shieldmaiden

Please have a read, give her a try, and see what you think.

Shas'El Tael
18-12-2012, 13:26
Hey Purplebeard, just downloaded the DOC for a read, should paint up two female dwarves I've got stored away. I have a third (http://www.advancedtautactica.com/resource/sebs_gear/wq_freja3.jpg), but she is in such full combat mode, I wouldn't dare call her a Shield'Maiden'. :)

Purplebeard
18-12-2012, 18:44
Cheers Shas'El Tael. She looks a bit 'fierce' (if I'm bring nice) or psychotic (if I'm not). :p

Don't worry though, she'd fit right in. I've given the Shieldmaiden a fearsome battlecry as a potential skill she can get at later levels.

I might change her a little - I keep thinking of minor revisons like:

Possibky giving her an optional ward runes which works against enemy magic items.
Maybe lowering her initiative by 1 at all levels.
Possibly slightly weakening the Runes of Healing (and perhaps clarifying their rules a little better with regards to paralysis and petrify rules
OR simplifying the Rune of Healing rules.
And maybe getting rid of the lotion. That is more of an unnecessary 90s GW-inspired joke item really.

Overall I am quite happy with her though. She does basically regenerate, BUT her wounds stat is low and her other stats aren't that impressive. She is really only a decent fighter rather than a good one. Her healing and anti-magic abilities are great (as an anti-magic dwarf, it should be expected that she is going to be one of the top characters for shutting down enemy magic). However, she isn't the best support character in some ways because her abilities don't really provide buffs to other party members (unlike, say, a Warrior Priest).

Anyway - onto other stuff for now.

I've nearly finished the emperor dragon (no base yet though). I'll get some pics up by the end of the week. I've also made a start on getting the Dwarf Wizard character written up. This one should be a fun and quick job :)

Purplebeard
22-12-2012, 10:54
Hi guys.

I've revised the Shieldmaiden rules and simplified and clarified the various healing/immunity rules. Please have a look at the new version.

I have also been working on the Dwarf Wizard, and am about 2/3 of the way through writing him up. It has been more diffcicult than expected, because I wanted to reflect the dwarf preference for 'elemental' type magic (stone, earth) and illusion/confusion type spells from earlier versions of Warhammer (by making them easier to cast). I have balanced this against making all of the other spells more difficult. So dwarf wizards will have plenty of offensive and defensive tools, but will have a harder time with healing spells, and a much harder time with 'speed' based spells.

Anyway, he should be with you next week. Then it will be onto the similar (but magically much more gifted) Gnome Illusionist. After that, ideas include the Longbeard (an old warrior forced by circumstance into an adventuring life) and the Dwarf Ratcatcher (with special fighting abilities and traps to use against horde-type monsters), and maybe a Runesmith (with the ability to custom make his own magic items!) and an Ironbreaker (though I'm not sure the latter is different enough from the standard dwarf to be worth it).

For now, I have finished the Emperor Dragon.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Pics20121212005.jpg
Emperor Dragon and dwarf raiding party.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Pics20121212012.jpg
He's a bit miffed this morning!

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Pics20121212019.jpg
This prospector is sneaking past to find the dragon's gold.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Pics20121212035.jpg
Its about 4 or 5 times bigger than Baudros from WFB 5e. And the dwarf, is, well, dwarfed.

I have deliberately kept the base quite plain because it will be handled - it has just had a bit of flock applied. I am unsure yet as to whether to give the figure a huge scenic base or not - so I have decided to leave it for now.

Anyway, I'm not sure what to do next - I will probably finish an Alchemist and some Mindflayers.

And please remember to have a look at my Shieldmaiden rules :)

S_A_T_S
22-12-2012, 17:38
The dragon looks lovely, Purplebeard. Old models look great with modern painting styles.

There were rules for a dwarf runesmith on the imperial vault (I think). They've updated their website so all those characters have been removed. They looked good and I regret not saving them. I don't like the idea of Dwarf wizard, however, as that goes against all GW background for dwarves. They just don't cast spells - engineering and runes are where dwarfs work their magic.

EDIT: found a copy. Works out at 17 pages of A4 after copying and pasting. URL is here (http://warhammerquestpit.741.com/Warriors/Runesmith%27sApprentice_PeterHaresnape.htm).

Shas'El Tael
23-12-2012, 01:07
Looks great PB, having that old WFBplastic dragon nearby really brings across the size of that red beast. Always wanted the WFB dragon but i think that older model has won me over :)

Presently on holiday with just my tablet, should have PDF'd various character rules to go over them whilst in transit, nothing like layovers :D

Talking Alchemists and rules, I have sourced some good art to make core equipment cards - I'll finalise once back, aiming to playtest the basic character then develop the advanced rules.

Purplebeard
23-12-2012, 16:29
Replies:

@S_A_T_S: Dwarfs did have wizards back in 3rd Ed. They weren't as powerful as human wizards and had more chance of miscasting. This is explained away in the Grudgelore book as there being a handful of dwarf wizards in the Empire schools of magic. In terms of WHQ game balance, the character will most certainly not reap all of the benefits of being both a dwarf and a wizard - some, yes, but not all. He will have high toughness and wounds, but no armour, lower power than human wizards, and higher casting values for most (non-elemental and non-confusion/'mental' type spells). He will also have a tough time getting hold of dwarven equipment (with higher stock rolls) and definitely no access to runes.

The rules are going to reflect the dwarves' disdain for magic, and there will be special rules for parties which include dwarf wizards and other dwarfs. In particular, runesmiths and shieldmaidens won't like him. In addition, if the Citadel Journal dwarf encounter rules are in play, then his presence will increase the odds of any dwarfs attacking the party.

On the other hand, he is a bit more survivable and handier in combat than a human wizard. He'll find elemental (stone, metal, fire) type spells and illusion/confusion type spells easier to cast, but will struggle more with healing the party. He'll be an interesting character, but not a walk in the park to game with.

Following him (at least partly because of some similarities in their rules) will be the Gnome Illusionist - and Gnome wizards were very good, and never ever got retconned (just ignored). The Gnome Illusionist is great at magic (and especially at the spell types listed above), and very wilful, BUT has a low toughness (T2 to start). They are more stubborn even than dwarfs, and I am going to incorporate some 'personality traits' and quirks into the rules when I write them. Silliness may ensue. You have been warned!

After that I have several other ideas, including a dwarf berserker, a dwarf ratcatcher (after the old model). I have always thought that GW never pushed the idea of warrior cults far enough with the dwarves. A bit like the Eldar in 40K, there could be different cults or shcools dedicated to different aspects of combat. Where the slayers seek death at the hands of the most powerful monsters, a cult like the berserkers could be dedicated to killing as many enemies of the dwarves as possible. Ratcatchers on the other hand could be a more esoteric fighting school, with weapons and techniques for fighting and defeating hordes of enemies - using traps and scaring enemies for example. The ratcatcher is basically an excuse to have a crazy mad-hatter type loony dwarf with a flamethrower (of course, the flamethrower wouldn't be standard issue equipment to start with - he'd have to earn it).

I might also write up a Longbeard (an old dwarf forced into adventuring by misfortune) - he'd start with higher WS and S, but lower BS. He'd also come with a slightly different set of skills, and there's a chance that he'll just arbitrarily decide that some pieces of equipment or treasure are rubbish, and throw them away.

The Ironbreaker would also be good, being a dwarf 'knight' of sorts and dedicated military type. I could write him up with the same statline as the dwarf but slightly different skills (more military and fighting and less 'other' skills like Goldmaster, for example). He gets access to rune armour but is restricted to a hand weapon and shield combination in HTH, and maybe has more limited access to missile weapons (perhaps only pistols).

Aside from the dwarfs, I would like to write up a Man At Arms, and a work purely of my own conception, the Halfling Kettle Knight. The latter was basically inspired by some old halfling figures in armour, with helmets that looked like upturned kettles. The Halfling Kettle Knight is a classical, brave, heroic adventurer, a character of knightly virtue - out only to rescue his lost love. In Warhammer terms this means he is brave to the point of stupidity, virtually fearless, and that he rushes in where even fools fear to tread. He will set off unexpected events for fun, and will be the first to charge in, but is perhaps not quite as good in combat as he thinks he is. I just want to get hold of a figure before I write him up.

Thanks for the link btw. I will have a look at the Peter Haresnape rules - I might still write up my own version anyway, but there isn't much point if a good version already exists.

@Shas'El Tael: Your talk about Alchemists made me get out the old Talisman figure to finish off. At least when you write him up, I'll have a figure ready to playtest for you ;)

The Grenadier dragon is still available from Mirliton - they bought the moulds years ago. There are some other nice big beasties - including a stunning goblin war giant (a friend used to have one), and a hydra (which I would very much like, but have never seen 'in the flesh').

Purplebeard
24-12-2012, 11:17
A quick update - the Dwarf Wizard rules.

The Dwarf Wizard is a misfit, and is mostly rejected by his own kind. He can be found amongst the lands of men, in the Imperial Colleges of Magic or as a mercemary for hire amongst the lawless lands of the Border Princes. A dwarven mage is a versatile and welcome addition to any party, and is both a competent magic user and fighter.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/CopyofDWZ3.jpg
Dwarf Wizard

He combines some of the good (and bad) points of both classes:

Uses the same magic as the human wizard.
Gets easier casting for stone/metal based spells, protection spells, and illusion spells (as per very old 2e/3e fluff and rules).
Has a harder time casting spells which don't fall into these categories.
Has a smaller power reserve than human wizards at high levels.
High toughness and wounds as per dwarf, with decent WS.
Poor initiative and pinning rolls.
Limited access to Dwarf Guildmasters (but no weapon runes).

I did think about introducing a miscast system, but it would be a bit of work for WHQ. Instead, I just increased his casting rolls and decreased his power tokens at the higher levels.

Please give him a try!

And have a very Merry Christmas everyone!

Purplebeard
24-12-2012, 14:18
One last pre-Christmas update - the Dwarf Ironbreaker.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/rd3-2.jpg
Dwarf Ironbreaker

Enjoy!

Purplebeard
23-03-2013, 18:48
Hi guys!

I know that I have been away for a while. I've recently moved house and started a new job.

However, I have been up to some WHQ related business, including picking up some cheap Lizardmen, an old Nagash, and painting up my Alchemist and Man At Arms.

In addition, I have updated the warrior packs, and have the links below. Joining them this time is the Gnome Illusionist, a whimsical master of illusion and trickery.

Following soon will be my other packs - the Man At Arms (with 4 slightly different types - the resolute captain, the mercenary, the enforcer, and the brigand), the Dwarf Bererker, and the Dwarf Brawler.

For now, enjoy! :D

Shas'El Tael
25-03-2013, 13:44
I know that I have been away for a while. I've recently moved house and started a new job.
Hey now, that's my line for starting my log again! Sheesh.. the nerve :P

Whilst not one for Dwarves - though I'll download the Ironbreaker, I'm looking forward to your Man At arms packs :D

Purplebeard
25-03-2013, 22:02
Haha! Well if it is any consolation, I've just finished my 'new' job, and I'm back out looking again.

Oh well :P <noting that it is probably time to get back on-topic>

I should get the Man At Arms and Berserker finished this Easter weekend. The figure is mostly painted now. I'm going to go home and get some pics of new stuff up here too (including that Alchemist).

I have also been working on my own WHQ/Dungeoncrawl-inspired website, and the initial site is ready, but for 2 things: (a) the fact that I need to work out how to create a user-friendly image gallery. I have previously used Adobe Bridge, but it doesn't easily allow me to fit it with the 'theme'/'image' of the site, and I'm not keen on a multi-page HTML 'tabular' solution (though that would work and maintain good systems compatibility, and (b) I haven't ordered a domain name and hosting yet. Advice from web design experts would be appreciated!

Purplebeard
02-04-2013, 20:00
Well over Easter I did not manage to finish the Man-At-Arms or other warrior packs off. Instead I had some painting time, and also thought I'd try and inspire some poeple to get some pictures up - we definitely need more pics in the WHQ section at any rate. So with no further ado:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Sharing/Picture275.jpg
WHQ Monster Collection - all painted in the last couple of years.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Sharing/Picture280.jpg

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Sharing/Picture267.jpg

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Sharing/Picture283.jpg

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Sharing/Picture286.jpg

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Sharing/Picture310.jpg

Please excuse the slightly dark and small pics - I will post larger/better versions as soon as. But the main thing is - these guys are painted and based, and they're ready. They look good, and they'll make for some fun games. And best of all, most of them are cheapy, cheap cheap 90s monopose plastics (with some nice bits thrown in).

There are (of course, a lot more figures waiting in the wings - half-painted/unpainted. And there'll always be more to do. But if you start and just do a few at a time, then before you know it, you'll have a mighty collection.

So get painting!

P.S. I ahve more updates, but you will have to wait until later this week for those ; )

S_A_T_S
02-04-2013, 22:17
Looking great, Purplebeard (incidently, you heard of the Wychwood Brewery alcoholic ginger beer called Gingerbeard (http://www.wychwood.co.uk/#/movies//hobgoblin/beers/30)? Sounds like your cousin cashing in!). I'm off this week, and now the sun is starting to peek out, I'm tempted to get out into the garden of my new house and find a good photo spot. Maybe I'll answer that call for more pictures at last!

Shas'El Tael
03-04-2013, 09:24
Loving the old school minis as ghosts, always good to roll out the horde for a shoot. Feeding them peicemeal to the heroes tends to take away their intimidation factor. :)

Great work PB, Dwarf artisan worthy.

Purplebeard
03-04-2013, 13:17
Time for replies:

@S_A_T_S: Thank you. We aim to please here :D

I hadn't heard of Gingerbeard, but I have had some Hobgoblin before - it was pretty tasty. I will have to try this Gingerbeard beer.

Yes, your week off makes for the perfect time to get some pics done too. I'm looking forward to them!

@Shas'El Tael: I'm glad I used those old figures for ghosts - they would have never seen paint otherwise. Thank you for the praise too. There are some much better painters on here than me, but I'm happy with these guys. I've started on a load more too (see below).

And now, onwards....

Over the Easter weekend, I have been busy, and started on a big batch of figures. Over the weekend, I've managed to get these guys about half-painted:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Sharing/Picture381.jpg
A big batch of monsters!

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Sharing/Picture362.jpg
Hobgoblins

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Sharing/Picture367.jpg
Citadel Mindflayers - in the fullness of time, I want to do a Cthulhu/Fishmen/Tyranid WHQ thing... (hehe)

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Sharing/Picture375.jpg
Black Orcs

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Sharing/Picture352.jpg
Alchemist - just needs rules (and basing)!

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/Sharing/Picture323.jpg
Lord of Aenarion WIP - needs tidying up

The Hobgoblins are old school figures from a game called Dark World, done in D&D style orange. I think the orange and black makes them different from normal Orcs/Goblins and fits in more with the Chaos Dwarf/desert wastes thing. I also like the mis-shapen and downtrodden look to them - I think it fits with the slave background. The others are just general Heroquest skaven, Battlemasters ogres and various Warhammer figures.

I'll get these guys rounded off in the next few weeks, inbetween other things.

benvoliothefirst
05-04-2013, 14:21
Those photos of your completed models are tremendous... I need a poster-sized version I can put on my walls to inspire me! Or at least make a desktop wallpaper out of.

An impressive and jealousy-inspiring collection.

Inandantia
06-04-2013, 14:40
The monster collection is starting to look pretty darn impressive. Your log has been really inspiring, looking forward to the website too!

Purplebeard
10-04-2013, 19:40
Replies:

@benvoliothefirst: Thank you. I have to admit that I felt a little burst of pride when I saw these guys all out together on the desk. I just had another look over at your plog and I'm taken with those black knights.

@Inandantia: Thank you too. These guys have been done in fits and starts. If I had been more consistent, then I could have finished a lot more by now. Just 5 a week would make 250 a year (with a couple of weeks off), which is more figures than there are in that shot. Oh well - maybe I will get a bit more consistent going forward. The collection is getting to a good size now - the undead and orcs & goblins aren't far from being finished now. After that (and the stuff I have just started), it will be on to Lizardmen and (probably) either Skaven or Dark Elves. I have a pretty good technique down for painting lizardmen and I'm looking forward to using it.

The webiste will hopefully be happening in the next few weeks. I have resolved the issues now - and gone for a temporary solution of an HTML image gallery. It is a bit of a clumsy solution, but it works and still looks pretty good, so I don't mind too much. I will keep you posted.

Purplebeard
28-04-2013, 22:47
Hi guys.

I've finished some more stuff off today:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/WHQ/20130428.jpg (http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/Z7654321/media/WHQ/20130428.jpg.html)
Dark Elves

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/WHQ/2013042819.jpg (http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/Z7654321/media/WHQ/2013042819.jpg.html)
Dark Elves - close up

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/WHQ/201304281.jpg (http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/Z7654321/media/WHQ/201304281.jpg.html)
Skaven Clanrats

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/WHQ/2013042823.jpg (http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/Z7654321/media/WHQ/2013042823.jpg.html)
More Skaven

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/WHQ/201304289.jpg (http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/Z7654321/media/WHQ/201304289.jpg.html)
Heroes - Man at Arms, Lord of Aenarion, Alchemist

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/WHQ/2013042814.jpg (http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/Z7654321/media/WHQ/2013042814.jpg.html)
Group Shot

In truth, these guys were all nearly done, but I just rounded them off earlier this morning. The dark elves were particularly fun to paint. Once the varnish is dry, I will give the Dark Elves some nice shield transfers - using some 40K Eldar designs (I think the Japanese-inspired designs will work on these figures).

I've managed to purchase some more old-school plastics too this week, so hopefully there might be some shots of those next weekend.

Happy Questing!

Inandantia
29-04-2013, 20:20
I love those old dark elves. Those single pose boxes of plastic infantry were amazing, I've still got some dwarves and beastmen and for some reason 1 black orc... I have no idea how I got that model :wtf:

Looking good!

Purplebeard
10-05-2013, 19:24
Replies:

@Inandantia: Thanks! The monopose plastics are still around, they can be picked up for very little and are a great way to build forces up quickly. Its strange that you mention Black Orcs - I have some about half done atm. Beastmen will be coming up fairly soon too.

Updates:

I have finished those Dark Elves now - I completed them with Eldar transfers for a more exotic, sort-of 'Japanesque' look. I did take pics, but they weren't the best, so I'll take better ones on Sunday for you guys.

Finally, I did manage to get hold of a load of old Citadel DE stuff (Cold One riders and crossbowmen), plus some Battlemasters monsters. Some of these have been undercoated, and are ready to be painted. There is much, much more than this in the pipeline!

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/WHQ/Picture793.jpg (http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/Z7654321/media/WHQ/Picture793.jpg.html)
More stuff on the go!

Purplebeard
12-05-2013, 22:39
Hi guys.

Just a little update - I finally got some decent pics of the finished Dark Elves, heroes and Skaven - so here they are:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/p20130512_1.jpg (http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/Z7654321/media/p20130512_1.jpg.html)
Man-At-Arms, Lord of Aenarion, and Alchemist

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/p20130512_5.jpg (http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/Z7654321/media/p20130512_5.jpg.html)
Dark Elves

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/p20130512_2.jpg (http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/Z7654321/media/p20130512_2.jpg.html)
Skaven Clanrats from Advanced Heroquest

The one thing I can say about all of these is that they have been fun to paint for a change from beards and axes. The dark elf transfers are all old Eldar transfers and I preferred them to the normal DE designs. A couple of the shields have multiple transfers. The sheen appears quite bad in the photos, but is barely noticeable IRL. I may go over the edges with black to blend them in a bit.

Purplebeard
23-06-2013, 17:31
Hey guys.

Not much of an update - just a quick shot of some current WIP stuff:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/WHQ/Bmasters.jpg (http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/Z7654321/media/WHQ/Bmasters.jpg.html)
Battlemasters Baddies

I finally got hold of some of these guys from a good buy online (I have got some BM ogres and beastmen in the pipeline too!).

Also these guys:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/WHQ/kn.jpg (http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/Z7654321/media/WHQ/kn.jpg.html)
Knights

There's no real rhyme or reason behind them - I just found them in a big junk lot I bought and thought that they were nice. I guess they'll make nice heroes (or villains?) when they're painted up.

Purplebeard
26-06-2013, 06:56
Hello folks.

I just wanted to give you a quick heads up that my new Warhammer QUest website is now up at:
http://www.purplebeardwhq.com

It is full of pics and contains all of the rules i've written too, plus links, articles and other goodies. The content is a bit sparse right now but I am planning on adding more steadily away :)

Shas'El Tael
28-06-2013, 10:06
OOoooOohh.. link>save>bookmarks :D

Shall check this out PB :D

Purplebeard
01-07-2013, 07:03
@Shas El'Tael: Please do. It has lots of my Warhammer Quest pictures in one place, plus the rules I have developed so far. These include:

Dwarf Shieldmaiden
Dwarf ironbreaker
Gnome Illusionist
Dwarf Wizard

I have learned a bit on the web design side of things too.

There are a couple of articles in the works too.

Chickenbane
15-07-2013, 18:18
Great stuff! I like the new characters, particularly the Gnome Illusionist and Shieldmaiden. Looking forward to seeing more new characters.:)

Purplebeard
16-07-2013, 19:58
Thanks Chickenbane. Its really appreciated. I'm working on finishing more figures at the moment, along with the Man At Arms rules and rules for a new character - the Exterminator - a deranged dwarf who specialises in slaying vermin with his trusty flamethrower :D

Daemonslave
16-07-2013, 21:52
*Does poor Arnie voice

"You'll be black!"

:p

Chickenbane
18-07-2013, 00:48
I've recently gotten back into playing WQ so your site has given me some added inspiration. I like the gnome wizard, all I need to do now is try to get hold of a model that suits.

Daemonslave
18-07-2013, 13:46
I've recently gotten back into playing WQ so your site has given me some added inspiration. I like the gnome wizard, all I need to do now is try to get hold of a model that suits.

Maybe this little guy

http://www.brigadegames.com/Swiss-Gnome-Wizard_p_556.html

Chickenbane
18-07-2013, 18:11
That was nice, I'm actually more interested in the Irish Gnomes now! Pity there is only one picture of the gnome riding an Irish wolfhound. :(

Purplebeard
19-07-2013, 08:21
That Swiss Gnome would be perfect (assuming the size is ok). GW made Gnomes in the old days, and you can usually pick one up on eBay for a few pounds. There is also a range of Dwarf Wizards (which would be fine provided that you don't have a Dwarf Wizard in the party too). Hasslefree and Black Tree Design have nice Dwarf wizards too. Or you could get a suitable Halfling and give him a beard and shoes.

I don't know much about Irish Gnomes or Leprechauns. Maybe you could write one up for WHQ Chickenbane ?

As for me - I need to get hold of a suitable model for the Exterminator - there are not many flamethrower-wielding dwarf figures about....

Chickenbane
19-07-2013, 19:02
I will have to get my thinking cap on! i was actually visualizing the Leprechaun as more of an evil hindrance rather than an pc.:evilgrin:

Purplebeard
10-12-2013, 23:43
Hi guys. Sorry for the huge yawning gap in posts (and the lack of website updates!).

The last few months have been crazy. I've changed job (again!), been studying web design like mad, and life has generally been a bit nuts.

Anyway, I painted some more stuff (hooray!).

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/pic20131119x2.jpg (http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/Z7654321/media/pic20131119x2.jpg.html)
Battlemasters Orcs - using as Orc Big Uns

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/pic20131119x3.jpg (http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/Z7654321/media/pic20131119x3.jpg.html)
Orc Big Uns close-up

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/pic20131119x4.jpg (http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/Z7654321/media/pic20131119x4.jpg.html)
Hobgoblins (well, my version)

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/pic20131119x1.jpg (http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/Z7654321/media/pic20131119x1.jpg.html)
Spooky floating wights

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/pic20131119x8.jpg (http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/Z7654321/media/pic20131119x8.jpg.html)
Great Spined Dragon

Everything was pretty fun to paint. On the Orcs, I had planned to use transfers on the shields, but couldn't find anything appropriate. So in the end I went for some crude and rushed designs. I think the 'tally board' one and the sideways face one came out well. I might redo some of the others at a later date. In the game I've made rules to put them halfway between Orcs and Black Orcs, with 2 pts of armour (that T6 proves tough at level 1/2!), S4, and a special rule which says that they try harder when Black Orcs are around, to prove that they are the best!

The Hobgoblins are old Dark World Orcs. I reimagined them as sort of mis-shapen, downcast slave types (as per the background). I went for orange skin since they live in the deserts/wastes. The three armoured ones can be champions if needs be.

I've also written up rules for these fierce looking floating wights, as I don't think the original rules are scary/hard enough. As soon as I find them, I will post them up here for you.

The Spined Dragon is nearly done. I've had him for ages, and I've gone quite understated with the model. I just need to pluck up the courage to do the wings and base. I had planned on a funky purple/brown 'butterfly-like' fabric, but the fabric is really thin and flimsy, so it might not hold its shape well. This model NEEDS a suitable scenic base to showcase it too.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the updates, I have more, including zombies and a baby dragon to come later in the week.

bobthebobish
11-12-2013, 16:57
Those hobgoblins are truly awesome! great choice for the model and paint job!

Purplebeard
11-12-2013, 19:37
@bobthebobish: Thank you. They were fun to paint (especially the leader types). I enjoyed the champions - they look like the'd give some of the Orcs a run for their money!

Purplebeard
12-12-2013, 20:21
As promised, some more stuff!

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/pic20131119x14.jpg (http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/Z7654321/media/pic20131119x14.jpg.html)
Zombies!

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/pic20131119x17.jpg (http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/Z7654321/media/pic20131119x17.jpg.html)
An especially nasty looking zombie!

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/pic20131119x18.jpg (http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/Z7654321/media/pic20131119x18.jpg.html)
Citadel/Foundry Norse or Vikings. Could be special characters or NPCs in a custom quest.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/pic20131119x20.jpg (http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/Z7654321/media/pic20131119x20.jpg.html)
Some bats - there are never enough little critters to go round....

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/Z7654321/pic20131119x12.jpg (http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/Z7654321/media/pic20131119x12.jpg.html)
A 'baby' dragon from Grenadier. Its only a baby - I'm sure your warriors can handle it ;)

A bit of a random mix - but that's how I like things. The baby dragon should be fun when I get a chance to game with it. I'll dig out the rules (along with those for the Orc Big Uns) soon and get them up here.

I've got quite a backlog of WHQ stuff to get through atm. Not sure whether to get more undead done, O&G, DE, or Chaos stuff.

artfultodger2k
16-03-2014, 22:44
This was a joy to read PB, ive checked out your website too, great stuff, i will be visiting regularly to stay updated with your outstanding painting skills and character creations!
Artful.

Purplebeard
18-03-2014, 20:32
Thank you very much for the kind words artfultodger2k. I've not been on here much for a bit, but I do try and come on once in a while. I do have a vampire and a ninja done - so pics hopefully in the next few days.

And good luck with your WHQ adventures too! ;)