PDA

View Full Version : Out of the loop/ Started Ogres

n00bLord
05-01-2012, 10:38
Alright its been a long time since I've been in the hobby and a little bit and finally decided to get back with it. Ever since the Ogres came out at the tail end of sixth I wanted to try them, so I did the next reasonable thing I could imagine and started an army.

I picked up some models regardless of power gaming lists or competition. A few friends are doing the same and we are playing just amongst ourselves. I've picked up

1 hunter
6 bulls
4 iron guts
4 leadbelchers

I plan on getting either a butcher or firebelly next as a character and another box of bulls and leadbelchers. All I am asking is what is the current opinion surrounding the army, and what does every one like or dislike about them.

As a side note I own roughly 2500 pts of skaven and 1000 pts of chaos dwarfs

Crovax20
05-01-2012, 14:40
I haven't faced Ogres as of yet, but reading from these forums... Mournfang Cavalry are pretty disgustingly strong, and Ironblasters are great as well.

Scammel
05-01-2012, 15:10
For starters, that Hunter will probably better serve you as a Bruiser or Tyrant, Hunters are only slightly worth it when riding a Stonehorn.

As for the army as a whole, they're in a great position at the moment. They can give as good as they get to pretty much every army in the game and can compete well in every phase. The vast majority of the book is at least useable, with only a few things like Hunters, Yhetees and Scraplaunchers not quite making the mark. There's a few popular builds, most of which revolve around a character base of a Slaughtermaster, Firebelly and BSB along with some Ironguts and Sabretusks, but after that they can vary considerably.

minionboy
05-01-2012, 18:24
Ogres are a fantastic army. If you got the old Hunter kit that comes with a pair of Sabretusks, then you're in great shape, because those sabretusks are fantastic (when run as units of 1).

Mournfangs are good, a lot of people take 3 units of them, but personally I've found that one unit is usually plenty, two units if I'm doing a monster heavy list. An Ironblaster is a fantastic addition to any ogre list, and a relatively inexpensive one at that.

Firebellies are good, and I definitely recommend getting one. Eventually you will want to get a Slaughtermaster too, but I'd go with the Firebelly first. One thing to remember about your hunter is that he cannot be your general, so you will have to get another character sooner than later.

Scraplaunchers aren't as bad as people make them out to be, as long as you play it like a chariot that can shoot every now and then, but I would personally make the Ironblaster.

I've written a few article about the Ogre Kingdoms that you may want to check out: http://www.thediceabide.com/?s=ogre+kingdoms

Also, definitely head over to ogrestronghold.com, there is a wealth of knowledge on those forums.

Jind_Singh
05-01-2012, 19:15
I plan on getting either a butcher or firebelly next as a character and another box of bulls and leadbelchers. All I am asking is what is the current opinion surrounding the army, and what does every one like or dislike about them.

First off welcome back to the hobby!

Secondly...if you're going to buy a box of Bulls and Lead belchers just get the battalion box as you'll get three boxes of models for the price of 2.5 - so savings is savings and those extra 6 models come in handy...

Use them as rank and file Bulls/Guts
Convert them into characters (make them butchers, tyrants, brusiers)

Either way you can't go wrong!

Now...as for general thoughts about the army....

The new look Ogres are a really decent army - in the hands of a canny general I think they are ONE of the best (not THE best) armies out there. They can do some things really well now!

Surprisingly one aspect of their new look is that they are REALLY good at shooting now! I played this player in the tournament and I hadn't really squared off against 8th ed Ogres and I was dumb founded as he tore my Gobbos apart!

He had one of those cannons on a chariot, a scrap launcher, and some man eaters with pistols. On the face of it that is not much - but what makes it so effective is that the ogre player just held back and shot at targets he didn't like - like my monsters - and I just couldn't take the pain so I had to advance.

But the problem is that Ogres are also REALLY good at close combat and advancing to them is known to Ogres as...

"Meals on Wheels!!"

So it was a scary game!

There is also a LOT of ways you can now put an army list together and still do well, were as in the older armybook (and 7th ed) there was just one boring way to build an army which EVERY ogre player took as to not do so limited their chances of even getting a draw!!!

So that's refreshing and cool also.

I would just go with the look and feel of whatever units strike your fancy - and wet your appetite - as no matter what you'll be fine!

If you already have 6 lead belchers you don't really need 6 more - Bulls and Iron Guts is were it's at.

If it was me I would rather take:

4-6 Lead Belchers
4-6 Man Eaters with pistols (vangaurd, sniper)
Iron blaster chariot cannon
Thunder tusk (is a stone thrower!)

(that is a dirty unit by the way! Man Eaters have vangaurd so can move 12" BEFORE the game starts...they have a 24" range with their guns...they can snipe out enemy characters!!! WHAT!?! So imagine the look on the enemies face as you shoot his beloved magic casters, BSB, etc, with the volley of pistol fire....OUCH!)

So either way take your time and have fun with them - and know that you can happily play them in a fun and friendly way - but when the time comes and you need to show the inner daemon you can REALLY hurt and ruin peoples days with this very versatile and powerful army!

Scammel
05-01-2012, 19:17
Also check this out - some wonderful, dashing, supremely intelligent person has done an army review: http://bellower.blogspot.com/

n00bLord
06-01-2012, 05:38
Thanks for the replies gents, got a box of sabretusks tonight and it'll be next week before I make any hobby purchases. So as far as every one is concerned the Ogres are overall pretty good, versatile and can be played different ways.

I've done a little reading in the tactics and other various threads. My main enemies will be woodies, skaven and some one who is stuck on thinking 6th vamps is the apex of Vc and that gw has ruined them by supposedly removing blood lines. Any thoughts as to the power balances

Drongol
06-01-2012, 12:13
Just as a little note on Maneaters, Scout typically trumps Vanguard because you can deploy scouts after your opponent has put his army on the table and thus be better-able to snipe off his Level 4 and BSB.

minionboy
06-01-2012, 16:01
Just as a little note on Maneaters, Scout typically trumps Vanguard because you can deploy scouts after your opponent has put his army on the table and thus be better-able to snipe off his Level 4 and BSB.

But the nice thing about vanguard is that you get to see where your enemy scouts go before you move. :P

Both have their uses.