PDA

View Full Version : Simple Modular Terrain Tiles

Silentexile
07-01-2012, 06:59
As there seems to be a general lack of uncluttered modular terrain pieces in the sci-fi/fantasy market right now, I was wondering if there would be any interest in modular terrain tiles like the ones I've designed below. The dimensions are 2"x3"x3/16" for regular tiles and 4"x3"x3/16" for specialty tiles at the moment, but could be altered if there is greater interest in a different set of measurements. The set being shown is a set of 4 regular tiles and a door specialty tile from my "Ancient" set I've designed.

The tiles would be cast in two-part resin and could be stacked flat in an extremely space-efficiently making transporting a whole battlefield of buildings plausible in something no bigger than a shoebox at most. The front would be detailed and the back of the tile would most likely be flat to make casting easier and more cost-efficient.

snake-eyez
09-01-2012, 09:20
I think the thing is, most people are probably happy to just play on a painted MDF board. Multi coloured MDF sheet is so much easier to transport maintain over anything textured or so on, and most people focus on the terrain on the board, more then the board itself (I guess if the MDF paint scheme matches it, thats good enough).

Even a plain green coloured MDF sheet is much more practical to play on than the GW battlemat, although the battlemat is a nice thing

Not a bad idea though

Silentexile
09-01-2012, 22:15
If the idea was misinterpreted as a board replacement, then that's my fault for not giving specific enough details on the pieces. The picture probably didn't help with the layout it had either. Here's a couple of pics of the tiles being used in the manner I had planned them to be used in, as modular building tiles.

stroller
09-01-2012, 22:23
You might not like it but I'm afraid that for me - no thanks. It looks like a box with a set of roman shield patterns round it. No windows or doorways to shoot into or out of. I also have mumble mumble boxes of buildings - some bought, some made, some mix & match, so I confess I don't see a shortage either.

Vepr
09-01-2012, 22:50
With some different patterns and pieces I could see it selling depending on the price. Lizardman, Tomb Kings, and Necron pyramids made out of them would be cool.

Eddie Chaos
09-01-2012, 23:19
Well these already exist and imo are excellent.

http://wyrd-games.net/shop/TERRACLIPS/

more types of terrain are always good so if you think you can make them go for it! :)

Silentexile
10-01-2012, 00:26
Terraclips is indeed an excellent system for modular terrain, however, their product is already pre-colored, and is made of a paper based material. What I'm aiming to produce is a fairly simple resin-based modular tileset that can be used to make in-game scenery/buildings or whatever you prefer to call it, but also have a use on an army display booard. The ability to paint the pieces to whatever army you choose to use them with is also another difference between what I'm designing and what Terraclips has produced.

gLOBS
10-01-2012, 15:31
http://www.hirstarts.com/molds/212.jpg

It Reminds me alot of Hirst Arts Mold.

http://www.hirstarts.com/tips11/tips11.html#312

Polare
10-01-2012, 20:23
How do they hold together?

Silentexile
10-01-2012, 21:30
I still need to work out a system for keeping them vertical on the playing field that doesn't complicate the production process too much or add an extra box worth of pieces to make the system work. I was posting this idea here to see if there was enough interest in this to make it worth pursuing as something to put into production.

gLOBS
11-01-2012, 14:51
I like the general concept but feel if you made a different set of a more gothic style you might find a niche here.

Silentexile
22-01-2012, 07:42
Ok, I've had another go at creating a system that would actually stay together without magnets, although if you prefer them, they would be fairly easy to put into the pieces I've redesigned. I've got some general ideas about how to do a gothic style set, but I don't have anything put together yet. The walls are formed of the same 3" high segments I had before, but on the sides I've added two 116" diameter and depth round holes to glue in the vertical slotting pieces I've added to the sides to allow them to slide into connecting pieces of the set, which will be stuff like pillars, arches, buttresses, etc. anything with a flat side could be designed to work.

The pillars on the Ancients set will be formed from three separate pieces that will be glued together to form an anchor point for any wall pieces to slot into. Walls and pillars will be able to slide apart for ease of transport and storage.