PDA

View Full Version : mini rules for Tank and Mecha matches in 40k?

Jakeman214
08-01-2012, 12:42
Ok, the other night we had a games night, and a couple of BFG and 40k games went around. We started to finish up early, and no one wanted to set up for any more proper games. Not really wanting to stop having fun, I suggested that we each grab 500pts of Tanks and have a big tank battle. within 30 seconds there were 2 Imperial Guard players and our local Tau player standing at a table with 3 tanks in hand, each. I grabbed my 3 leman Russ and we had a 4 way free for all.

2 of the IG players (Myslef included) ran 3 Vanquiser's (2 with Hull Lascannons), the other IG player ran 3 standard Leman Russ all with Hull Lascannon and the Tau player ran 2 Hammerheads and a Sky Ray with markerlights, all Tau tanks with shield drones or some ******** that gave them a 4+ save. The battle ran for about half an hour, and the only tank to survive was a single Vanquiser belonging to the other IG player. Many shots were fired, and I almost won, until the other three players concentrated the fire of their single remaining tanks on my 2 living Vanquishers, blowing both sky high! The battle was some of the best fun I've had with Warhammer in quite some time. It was quick, brutal and hilarious (The number of saves the Tauu player failed, only to hit with every markerlight and then have 4/5ths of his Hammerhead railgun shots hit and then not glance or pen was just downright funny!) and we've all agreed to do it again next time.

With an hour still to burn and everyone still not wanting to leave, I suggested (Again) that we each bring 250 points of walkers to a city and play a 40k version of Mechwarrior. The Tau player bowed out after we ruled his Assault phase extra move would make him untouchable, but our Space Wolves player joined in with his 2 Dreadnoughts, one with twinlinked Lascannon and Dread CCW the other with Multimelta and Missile Launcher. I brought 4 Armoured Sentinels all with Autocannon, IG no2 had with 4 armoured Sentinels 3 with Autocannon and 1 with Lascannon. IG no3 brought 2 armoured Sentinels with Autocannon and a SM Dread with Missile Launcher and Multimelta.

We played for a little over half an hour, and shots flew wildly, Sentinels charged each other and (Foolishly) the SM Dreads and destroyed Mechs littered the battlefield. The sentinels couldn't actually hurt each other in CC, but we ruled that if a Sentinel could win the combat it would wreck the other Sentinel/Dread. It was some action packed stuff, and we were all constantly laughing in disbelief at the sheer audacity and awesomeness that our little Mechs had!

I suppose my actual question is has anybody ever done something similar to this and then cooked up their own rules for these sort of battles? The Tank battle probably needs no additional rules, but I can see so many possibilities for the Mechs in 40k.

Post up your awesome similar stories if you have em!

Lord Damocles
08-01-2012, 12:44
The Spearhead expansion is all about armoured battles.

leonmallett
08-01-2012, 13:19
The Spearhead expansion is all about armoured battles.

Spearhead? I have been a little out of touch but have I missed something?

Fawful
08-01-2012, 14:21
Spearhead? I have been a little out of touch but have I missed something?

It's a white dwarf expansion whose rules are available here. (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=cat410004&categoryId=1000019&section=&aId=9800021a) GW account (free) required.

It basicly gives rules to certain formations of vehicles and allows you to fight specific scenario's. I've never played it, but it looks similar to apocalypse in certain respects. You can also use tanks as troops :)

Jakeman214
08-01-2012, 14:31
I've just dl'd it and I'm not a big fan of it. It just replaces objectives scoring units with tanks and walkers and such, rather than placing the focus on TANKS BLOWING STUFF UP! Eh, maybe if we play a game of it and see that might change.

How about the Mechwarrior in 40k stuff that we did? I can write up some houserules to make it more fluid and fast paced, and give it a bit of structure.

Anybody got any good stories of similar stuff where you threw out the GW rules and made your own on "Dammit lets just have some fun!" basis?

3 0f 6
09-01-2012, 08:32
[QUOTE=Jakeman214;6014949]
How about the Mechwarrior in 40k stuff that we did? I can write up some houserules to make it more fluid and fast paced, and give it a bit of structure.

QUOTE]

That sounds like a good plan, I would like to see that, mostly as I love games like Mech commander, Dynasty Warriors: Gundam (3), Front Mission games, Front Mission Evolved etc etc

Jakeman214
09-01-2012, 10:49
Well, I've got nothing to do, the Battlestar Galactica Soundtracks on the stereo and a hankering for blowing **** up. Lets do it. I'm gonna write up a ruleset for Mechwarrior style battles in 40k.

Watch the Horizon, for at the dawn of the third day I shall return.

carldooley
09-01-2012, 15:51
shame about the Tau player bowing out. There ARE mechs with Jump Jets afterall...