PDA

View Full Version : Are certain armies easier for newer players? Between Ogres, and VC.

Hoggle
08-01-2012, 19:16
I'm in the process of picking two armies to play with my daughter at the moment. So far, she has gone Skaven, and I am on the fence between the Ogre Kingdoms, and the new Vampire Counts. Each time I think I made up my mind, I go back to look at the GW site, and become undecided once again. As a personal long time horror fan, I naturally leaned towards the VC army, but spending time looking over the Ogres, I also love the look that they have.

Do all armies play similarly at all, or do they have their own play-style so to say? I'm just looking for any more ideas as to which army to lean towards. For some reason, another thing that interests me in the Ogres, are the low model counts in a regiment...that seems to make them stand out a bit more; well, that and their size in stature.

Jack of Blades
08-01-2012, 19:20
Don't purchase either army for a while. Let the honeymoon phase have its day and then see what you end up going to. It also helps if you describe what you want in an army, detailed, because that's what'll decide what one of two armies you both want to collect you should start with.

The Low King
08-01-2012, 19:26
Every army has a different style and learning curve. Some can be made to play similar but they usually have special rules or mechanics that differentiate them.

BorderKing
08-01-2012, 19:40
Why not buy a VC army and use ogres as their monstrous infantry ?

mrtn
08-01-2012, 20:15
My impression is that ogres aren't that hard to play, but no one can tell you how easy the new VC will be. How about helping your daughter paint the skaven while you mull it over? The new models will still be for sale in a month's time. :)

ted1138
08-01-2012, 20:26
VC armies can cost a lot of money, as you'll need loads of skeletons and zombies(hundreds of 'em in fact), and GW prices are not at all cheap...

valle
08-01-2012, 20:34
I would say that VC is one of the harder armies to play, since they are very vunerable if not used correctly... Used correctly, they become quite powerfull though.

That said I would advice you to do what i first did when I chose my first army... Forget about playstyles and figure count, because in the end, you need to be really "into" your army, so chose the one that in the end appeals the most to you and you will in time learn how to master that army.

mrtn
08-01-2012, 21:54
That said I would advice you to do what i first did when I chose my first army... Forget about playstyles and figure count, because in the end, you need to be really "into" your army, so chose the one that in the end appeals the most to you and you will in time learn how to master that army.

I agree, my first army was Beasts of Chaos in 6th edition, which was considered to be quite a weak army with very special movement rules and other "strange" things. I learned to play it, as I'm sure you can learn to play with whatever army you pick up.

To me it sounds as if the vampire counts are closer to your heart, so choose them if that is the case, you'll pick up the rules as you go along.

Badbones777
08-01-2012, 22:11
I would say what I always say if asked about getting into the hobby-I use the examle given by Nigel Still (I think it was back in the mid-90's in a White Dwarf that I read it.) Basically, read up on a bit of background about as many armies as you can. The, being totally honest with yourself, ask yourself: If a gateway opened and you were popped into the WFB Fantasy universe, transforming you into one of it's denizens, which species do you hand-on-heart believe you would be? Who's background really "does it" for you?

Don't worry too much about learning difficulty or how powered (or not) the interwebz considers them to be, just go with the army you love deep down. You'll hopefully be playing for a long time to come, and it's a big investment of time, money and effort so you should just go with whichever army's background (or mini's if you are more into the modelling side of the hobby) really grab you and won't let go.
For me, it was Tomb Kings. I'd dabbled with Fantasy back in 3rd edition (or was it 4th? I believe it was '93 or '94 the boxed set I got came out) but never really got into it. Then Tomb Kings came out back in 6th and something just clicked. Got back into WFB in a big way, loved the army theme and background and although they were tricky to get the hang of, and my actual gaming record (in terms of winning) is pretty diabolical from 6th through to 8th, I've had nothing but fun with them.

I'm not saying they aren't valid concerns, but I think learning curve and all the rest will prove secondary as long as you are enjoying your gaming.

Take your time, make sure you are happy with your first choice and have fun:)

Crovax20
08-01-2012, 22:19

Yeah fluff and character of army is pretty important! I know why I have picked Orcs & Goblins as my main army is because they are just a force of nature. There is little depth to their violence, they just love to fight and show off. There isn't a very grand plan behind their outings of violence. One moment they are stomping empire heads and the next moment they move off to have a clobbering contest with the chaos boyz.

Tomb Kings my 2nd army has been chosen because I like their models (even those old skittles) and I wanted something completely different from the Orcs & Goblins. The 2nd army usually end up being the army you want because you like the models and want something different from what your main army is. This army plays like the opposite of my Orcs & Goblins, it is dependable, has a completely different way of approaching battle and is much less RAWR HULK SMASH! in its approach.

My guess is that my 3rd army will be something completely different again, most likely Ogres...

LotusCorgi
08-01-2012, 23:19
I would choose Warriors of Chaos for your first army, they have a lot to offer the novice collector/gamer. The armies can have low model counts, they can be easy to paint, they are killy in the extreme and they happen to be possibly the most evil and iconic army in Warhammer. Chaos armies with lots of Chaos Warriors are small and hard hitting, and all that armor is easy to paint for the beginner painter. The iconic images and stories of the Chaos Warriors is what made me fall in love with GW way back in the day. And for the novice general Chaos Warriors are pretty straitforward: You have no missile fire or artillery and you possess the best troops in the game. If I ever start a second army it will be chaos for sure.