PDA

View Full Version : "contents may vary"

ArtificerArmour
09-01-2012, 08:36
Ayup. I bought an orc cariot tis weekend and was extremely annoyed to find it came with only two caxalry bases - not a chariot base! The box clearly has it on a chariot base, but the back of the box says "contents may vary".

So, hAas anyone else had this problem?

therisnosaurus
09-01-2012, 08:45
take it back in to a GW if there's one nearby.

Lord Zarkov
09-01-2012, 08:45
The Orc Chariot predates the chariot base which IIRC was invented specifically for 6th Ed TK. I think all the old chariots (so the wolf one, the Chaos Warrior one, the DE Ones, possibly the Beastmen ones (IIRC they were redone in 6th Ed with new crew so maybe not), etc) have two cavalry bases - it might only be only the newer plastic ones that have the Chariot Base.

Morkash
09-01-2012, 08:54
I think Lord Zarkov is right, my 3 Orc chariots always came with the two cacalry bases. But it cannot hurt if you go to a local GW if there is one and ask.

Urgat
09-01-2012, 09:27
I think Lord Zarkov is right

He is right indeed. The boars are designed to use the cavalry bases, after all. Flipping easy conversion or not, it would still require unintended cuts to have the boars go on the chariot base. That being said, it can't hurt to ask for the chariot base, I just wouldn't be surprised if they say "nay".

Skywave
09-01-2012, 09:41
He is right indeed. The boars are designed to use the cavalry bases, after all. Flipping easy conversion or not, it would still require unintended cuts to have the boars go on the chariot base. That being said, it can't hurt to ask for the chariot base, I just wouldn't be surprised if they say "nay".

That's not the reason for it, because the skeletal steed are just like the boars, they have these plastic bars on their feet and require to either cut the slot in the base, or cut the bars from the horses. The front half of the chariot base is molded like 2 cavalry base together, with all the junk under it. Only that the slot are 'uncut' so you have to do like I said above.

I don't know the reason why they don't include the chariot base in any new batch of the old chariots they made though. At first I tought that there was space between the boar bases or that the model was made to have the wheel on the ground and the mount on the base, but looking again it doesn't seem so.

Urgat
09-01-2012, 11:45
Maybe it's old boxes from before the chariot bases?

Cragum
09-01-2012, 12:05
let us know what they say. Should be interesting response.

laribold
09-01-2012, 12:18
What does this mean with regards to the whole "Use the base it is supplied with" ruling...

Chariot on a 50x50 (effectively) with a whole heap of chariotness 'hanging' off the back of the base. It would certainly cut down on any flank attacks!
;)

N1AK
09-01-2012, 12:34
What does this mean with regards to the whole "Use the base it is supplied with" ruling...

Chariot on a 50x50 (effectively) with a whole heap of chariotness 'hanging' off the back of the base. It would certainly cut down on any flank attacks!
;)

Think outside of the box. You could have a 100x25 chariot :cheese: or just ask the store for a chariot base or return.

colonel kane trine
09-01-2012, 13:15
The chariot bases are a pain in the **** to cut slots into.

Id just go ask in a store but tbh I think theyd try to sell them to you. Packs of bases are still available to mail order arent they?

boli
09-01-2012, 13:42
They do... and are pretty expensive!

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat470008a&prodId=prod1570013

You could just try and find a off-cut of plastic/metal/wood and cut it down to size :)

Lorcryst
09-01-2012, 13:45
Hmmm ...

My Orc chariot came with two cavalry bases, but I bought it some 8 years ago ...

On the other hand my (metal+plastic) Chaos Warriors chariot came with a chariot base, and I bought it at roughly the same time ...

Still, asking for a single base (whatever it's size) at a GW shop cannot hurt, I've done it with 40x40mm bases for some conversions, the worst case scenario is that they say "no" ...

But you can find them on eBay without problems, and cheaper than a bag of bases from GW (that only contains ONE chariot base).

madden
09-01-2012, 13:47
It's not new and still happens the soon to be rereleased black coach from vamps, only comes with 2 cav bases (according to the online catalogue entry). Why they do this I have no idea but it does make it easier to paint the under side .

AlphariusOmegon20
09-01-2012, 15:16
They do... and are pretty expensive!

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat470008a&prodId=prod1570013

You could just try and find a off-cut of plastic/metal/wood and cut it down to size :)

$4.50 isn't that expensive.... You'd pay that for a custom resin base too.

boli
09-01-2012, 15:55
Its expensive for just a piece of plastic tho - and not that much moulding on it at all (unlike the minatures).

You'll be surprised at what you find which is sturdy enough to use as a base that you can cut to the right size - a cut off from an laminate flooring for instance - its best to have a look around first :)

Max_Killfactor
09-01-2012, 16:02
I've had similar issues and just took it to my local GW. They let me look through a big bin to find a solution.

I ended up taking a 50mm square base and still using the 2 cav bases.

I think it's up to the store, but the 3 GW stores I've been to were all run by reasonable guys.

Harwammer
09-01-2012, 16:46
The militia box is the worst. The art has pictures of loads of converted models, many using pieces that aren't even from the empire range, let alone the militia kit!

ArtificerArmour
09-01-2012, 16:50
its just annoying - its shown on the base! I doubt the shop has any but I may email the helpdesk

Druchii Monkey
09-01-2012, 17:53
Ayup. I bought an orc cariot tis weekend and was extremely annoyed to find it came with only two caxalry bases - not a chariot base! The box clearly has it on a chariot base, but the back of the box says "contents may vary".

So, hAas anyone else had this problem?

Yes, i bought one a few weeks ago, just before Christmas. It has two cavalry bases and no chariot base - think this is on purpose - i too was annoyed that it was missing as it clearly shows on the box.

For me "contents may vary" does not mean you can show a chariot base on the box and not include it - i would be looking for "chariot base not included". I would say technically you are probably within your rights to return the product, although in my case i will just buy a chariot base or two - i'm sure they will come in handy for something else.

Skywave
09-01-2012, 18:44
$4.50 isn't that expensive.... You'd pay that for a custom resin base too.

But this isn't a detailed resin base.

Plus the great thing is that the Screaming base is cheaper! At this price it should be a pack of 3 at least.

But what you can do is cut some of those modular movement tray to use as a base, I've seen a lot of people use that for custom bases and such.

Maskedman5oh4
09-01-2012, 20:05
balsa wood + xacto knife :confused:

GrandmasterWang
10-01-2012, 06:55
Oh, i logged on to the Australian site (well i am Australian) and the base is $7.

Ouch. Won't be buying one of those.

ArtificerArmour
14-01-2012, 12:45
Well, I emailed GW and they replied saying they'd send one out to me for free - but I couldnt reply because their email went down!