PDA

View Full Version : Gamesworld not stocking games workshop products

hybrid defibrl8
09-01-2012, 10:58
My two local gamesworld stores have opted to stop stocking games-workshop products as they feel that they cannot sell enough to make a profit on them and the shelf space is better utilized for other things ... I was wondering if this seems to be an Australia wide thing or just local stores ... I'm in Perth wa

chromedog
09-01-2012, 11:17
A lot of stores are doing it.

It's partially due to GW's restrictive ToS (you have to buy so much of ALL of their stuff, even if it won't sell in your area).

I know a couple of stores that apart from a bare minimum of GW stock boxes, mainly carry PP or mantic figures/armies and they do not stock GW paints at all (Vallejo or P3 paints usually - less restrictions on how many of each colour need to be held and ordered).

demyx
09-01-2012, 11:21
Another perthy here, Iv noticed over the holidays gamesworld garden city did a massive 20% off all GW product sale which made me assume they would be shifting product and not getting more in. Truth be told i wouldnt be surprised though iv never shopped for GW stuff there, I much prefer tactics in the city with 10% discount card

The Marshel
09-01-2012, 11:31
All part of GW strategy to monopolise their own products. It remains to be seen if this is a bad thing for the company, but it's certainly not pleasant for us.

hybrid defibrl8
09-01-2012, 11:35
It's a tad worrying though, gamesworld have stores all over Australia and are more common than games workshop stores ... If they are opting to stop carrying gw products it doesn't leave warhammer in Australia in a particularly good stead... It's getting harder and harder to buy models with the embargo... This makes it even worse

The Marshel
09-01-2012, 12:01
It's a tad worrying though, gamesworld have stores all over Australia and are more common than games workshop stores ... If they are opting to stop carrying gw products it doesn't leave warhammer in Australia in a particularly good stead... It's getting harder and harder to buy models with the embargo... This makes it even worse

there are still far more gw stores in Australia then there are in america based on a city by city or population basis. It's actually a key part of the problem with the pricing disparity. The places that lose out are the cities that don't have gw, but there are still many aussie based stores that run web services as well. Black cultist, irresistible force, the combat company are all good examples, and none of which are likely to stop stocking any time soon. Waylands is also busy working on it's own workaround, and with the warehouse move and new site on the horizon we hopefully won't be waiting to much longer.

Gw knows there is a problem, and they are working to solve it, they just have a very different approach to what most people think they should be doing. While i think their approach and business model will not work in the modern market of technology, social media and easily accessible international products, i'm just some uni student who doesnt even study business. I'm sure many professionals have been involved in planning out Gw approach to running their business and it's hard to believe they'd get it that wrong.

GW isn't about too keel over and die overnight while noone is watching. If continued operations in Australia become unviable via their current approach, they'll change their current approach, till then we just have to suck it up and decide how much we really like our plastic crack

AlphariusOmegon20
09-01-2012, 16:04
there are still far more gw stores in Australia then there are in america

Wait, what?

Chicago, IL alone has 14 stores, Seattle, WA has 10. I only found 24 GW stores in all of Australia.

Two US cities ALONE have as many stores as all of Australia, and I never added in L.A., Houston, Memphis, or New York, just to start.

Formerly Wu
09-01-2012, 16:28
Chicago, IL alone has 14 stores, Seattle, WA has 10. I only found 24 GW stores in all of Australia.

Chicago has 3 GW stores. Where did you get that number?

Project2501
09-01-2012, 16:45
GW stores and stores that sell/advertise GW products mix-up alpharius?

Anyhoo, the above posters pretty much answered it all, GW's new 'Apple-esque' approach of monopolizing all their IP/products. Sure hope it changes to they way it used to be however.

The Marshel
09-01-2012, 16:54

Just did some checking, AlphariusOmegon20 is correct, my facts seem to be faulty

Dr Zoidberg
09-01-2012, 22:09
At a population of roughly 22 million, 24 stores in Aust means one store for approixmately 912,000 people.

At a population of 300 million, 59 stores in the US (number gained from here (http://www.hktdc.com/manufacturers-suppliers/Games-Workshop/en/1X0591EJ/)), that's one store for every 5 million people.

So, on a per population basis, GW is more represented in Australian then it is in the US. Some might say over represented.

chromedog
10-01-2012, 00:10
I'd say over-repped myself.

Considering that many of those Sydney stores alone are less than 30 minutes drive from each other and located in High-priced rental locations (Yes, High-vis also, but restrictive 5 year leases).

Between the upper reaches of Sydney and the Qld border (this is roughly a 12 hour drive) there is ONE GW store and about the same going south to the Vic border (and ACT). One of the reasons that the independents hold sway in those areas and the other games are gaining ground.

havokas
10-01-2012, 00:42
I can see where the store is coming from, i know plenty of stores like Tin Soldier in Penrith (Sydney) who are stocking more and more Privateer Press, Flames of war and other "smaller" games and RPG's. they stock fine-cast at 20% off price, not making any profit themselves because of the problems it has. they are sacrificing self space for a product that makes them no money just to keep their customers happy, a real GW store would never do that.

I myself am starting to shy from purchasing GW stuff preferring to just deal with forge-world to get some painting projects and interesting parts to use with my existing armies, why should i spend 75-90$ per box of anything when i can spend half that on Privateer press products and feel more rewarded for it, the model quality is better and the proportion of an army that makes up is much larger for the same cost.

i recently purchased the Holiday bundle Trolls-bloods army 35 points for 195$. (an entire army for less than 200$ with free shipping!) i could have got a few boxes of GW Stuff that wouldn't even be a entire army or coherent force, but i got a 35 pointer, kinda equivalent to 1500 point sized game of Warhammer. plus much more fun to paint

Vaktathi
10-01-2012, 03:40
I just don't understand how GW survives down there at all for what they charge :p I though price inflation for GW stuff here was bad...:eek:

AlphariusOmegon20
10-01-2012, 05:37

I'm wondering where you only got 3 from, personally.

If you looked up the CITY of Chicago, you should have found zero. Not a single store lies within Chicago's city limits. However, you have to take in account Chicago's AREA, including the surrounding suburbs, counties, and even stretching into other states, all of which are considered extensions of the Chicago AREA. ( Chicago's area stretches East from NW Indiana, all the way west to Rockford, IL, and as far north as Racine, WI and as far south as Kankakee, IL. This is the Chicagoland Area and what is most commonly referred to by most locals as "Chicago"

The 14 stores in question are:

GW Oak Park - Oak Park IL (8.79 mi. from downtown and 1 mile outside of the Chicago city limits. This is the closest store to the City of Chicago proper)

GW Village Crossing - Skokie IL (11.71 mi.)

GW Chicago Battle Bunker - Downer's Grove IL (20.47 mi.)

GW Orland Square - Orland Park IL (21.24 mi.)

GW Woodfield Mall - Schaumberg IL (24.61)

GW Bloomingdale - Bloomingdale IL (25.12 mi.)

GW Deer Grove - Palantine IL (27.23 mi)

GW Red Top Plaza - Libertyville IL (30.99 mi.)

GW Naperville - Naperville IL (31.64 mi)

GW Geneva Commons - Geneva IL (36.71 mi.)

GW River Pointe - Algonquin IL (41.54 mi)

GW Prairie Ridge - Pleasant Prairie WI (49.93 mi.)

GW Forest Plaza - Rockford IL (75.01 mi.)

GW Layton Plaza - Greenfield, WI (77.14 mi)

At a population of roughly 22 million, 24 stores in Aust means one store for approixmately 912,000 people.

At a population of 300 million, 59 stores in the US (number gained from here (http://www.hktdc.com/manufacturers-suppliers/Games-Workshop/en/1X0591EJ/)), that's one store for every 5 million people.

So, on a per population basis, GW is more represented in Australian then it is in the US. Some might say over represented.

Tue but you also have to take in account that IIRC 50% of Australia's land mass is uninhabitable. Otherwise you'd have far more than only 22 million living in Aussie land and the numbers then would then most likely be in the U.S.'s favor using the current number of stores in each country.

chromedog
10-01-2012, 05:41

We actually have 33 stores, not 24.

2 in ACT,
13 in NSW (11 metro Sydney)
7 in Vic
3 in WA
5 in QLD
3 in SA

Of those 13 NSW stores, TWO are outside of the Sydney metropolitan area (so 11 stores in a city of 4.5 million).

Vedar
10-01-2012, 05:42
In Australia minimum wage is over $15 hour. I was suprised at how everything was so expensive when I was in Sydney, but it seems to be working for them. More people have more money, so they spend more.

fluffstalker
10-01-2012, 12:20
AT least you have GW stores. I think there's like two stores in the whole of Malaysia that sell GW products, both of them actually are comic corners that mostly do RPGS and Magic the Gathering. Thank goodness Singapore is close by, but it's kind of expensive to go down there just to get models.

chromedog
10-01-2012, 13:57
Most of our independents are magic stores.
They HAVE to stock it because minis just don't pay their way - least of all GW minis.

You don't HAVE to replace your entire army every 3-6 months just to stay competitive (as in get rid of it all and buy ALL new stuff).
Magic players willingly do this, and do it over and over. Sure, they don't spend as much per card as we do per mini (on average), but it's not unheard of for some locals to drop more on magic in a year than I spent on 40k in the last 5.

luchog
10-01-2012, 20:52
Wait, what?

You're definitely mixing up GW shops, and shops that carry GW products. In the entire Seattle metro area; there is only 1 GW store. Period. And it's way up at the north end of the city*. The next nearest store is Bellevue (Factoria actually, which is a Bellevue suburb), roughly 8 miles away. After that, the next two nearest stores are 14 and 16 miles outside Seattle. There are not 10 GW stores in Seattle. In fact, there are only 10 GW stores in the entire state.

(Oddly, because of the way the city is shaped by the terrain, the part of Seattle I live in is actually closer, by about a mile and a quarter, to the Factoria shop than it is to the Seattle one. And the way the roads are laid out, it takes less than half the time to get to. Not a problem for me, since the Factoria Battle Bunker shop is several time bigger than the Seattle shop.)

Formerly Wu
10-01-2012, 21:21
If you looked up the CITY of Chicago, you should have found zero. Not a single store lies within Chicago's city limits. However, you have to take in account Chicago's AREA, including the surrounding suburbs, counties, and even stretching into other states, all of which are considered extensions of the Chicago AREA. ( Chicago's area stretches East from NW Indiana, all the way west to Rockford, IL, and as far north as Racine, WI and as far south as Kankakee, IL. This is the Chicagoland Area and what is most commonly referred to by most locals as "Chicago"

As a local myself, most of what you're describing falls outside what I would call "Chicago." It's certainly a stretch in my mind to extend the definition much past 294. But I see what you're saying.

Droma
11-01-2012, 05:07
As a local myself, most of what you're describing falls outside what I would call "Chicago." It's certainly a stretch in my mind to extend the definition much past 294. But I see what you're saying.

Being a native as well I'd have to agree for the most part. Chicago affects business and travel in those area's but its mostly the distance between downtown Chicago and any of those areas, not the distances between outlying areas themselves. When discussing GW stores in the "Chicago-land area" he's pretty spot on.

AlphariusOmegon20
11-01-2012, 06:24
You're definitely mixing up GW shops, and shops that carry GW products. In the entire Seattle metro area; there is only 1 GW store. Period. And it's way up at the north end of the city*. The next nearest store is Bellevue (Factoria actually, which is a Bellevue suburb), roughly 8 miles away. After that, the next two nearest stores are 14 and 16 miles outside Seattle. There are not 10 GW stores in Seattle. In fact, there are only 10 GW stores in the entire state.

(Oddly, because of the way the city is shaped by the terrain, the part of Seattle I live in is actually closer, by about a mile and a quarter, to the Factoria shop than it is to the Seattle one. And the way the roads are laid out, it takes less than half the time to get to. Not a problem for me, since the Factoria Battle Bunker shop is several time bigger than the Seattle shop.)

Actually, I'm not mixing the two. I'm using GW's own definition of what is Seattle.

The definition of what is Seattle to GW is what is in the Seattle - Tacoma - Bellevue MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area), which is shortened to Seattle, because Seattle is the biggest city in the area.

GW doesn't go by where the city limits are and neither do most other corporations.

The stores are:

GW Carkeek Plaza - Seattle

GW Seattle Battle Bunker - Bellevue

GW Freeway V - Lynnwood

GW Kent Station - Kent

GW Supermall - Auburn

GW Gig Harbor - Gig Harbor

GW Tacoma Place - Tacoma

GW Marysville - Marysville

GW Sunrise Village - Puyallup

This (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_metropolitan_area) is apparently what GW bases their definition of "Seattle" on.

They apparently use a similar definition as to what is "Seattle", as they do with what is "Chicago".