PDA

View Full Version : Starting a New Skaven Army - Ideas

sneakydust
09-01-2012, 11:29
So as the title suggests, I'm soon to be starting a new skaven army.

I've always been a fan of sneaky guys, ninjas, assassins and the like so I'm going for an Eshin style army. However, I do like all the neat gadgets that skryer have so I was thinking an Eshin/Skryer joint army. After all this I want a screaming bell and grey seer to head the army.

So I want a reason why eshin and skryer are working together in this army, and why the grey seer is leading them, as the reasons behind this will flow into my modeling and painting styles.

There will be a considerable number of gutter runner units with a few assassins in the mix also. The clan rats will also be eshin clan rats, which I will be using some greenstuff to put hoods and other such assassinish apparel.

Any thoughts of critisisms on my ideas so far? And also any suggestions for army fluff or other cool modeling ideas to make my army look my eshin/assissiny?

Cheers

SteVieBizzLe
09-01-2012, 11:50
Put yourself in the naughty corner for playing such a broken, cheesey army :D

sneakydust
09-01-2012, 11:56
Are skaven concidered cheesy these days??

Lord Squidar
09-01-2012, 12:08
Don't listen to such nonsense, if you were to not play an army due to cheese, no one would play. Every army has something overpowered and abusable in it, its your choice where to be a gentleman about it.

Army wise its a good mix, although the eshin models (barring Snitch) are the oldest in the range and still suffer from monkey hand syndrome. If you get basic clanrats, you could mod them up to look like night runners, a simple black cloth paint job will do wonders there, but it does limit you if you want to use Island of Blood models since those clannies have their shields moulded on.

The skyre stuff is good, newer models and the like, but be careful of building an army around the weapon teams blowing people up. they do it, but rarely. more often they get shot at or blow themselves up. they are a fun addition to the skaven but certainly not the backbone as was possible in previous editions. The warplightning cannon is really good for its points, and if you practise with the aiming, you can consistantly shoot it into the middle of big units with high str, lots of dead-dead things.

Screamingbell... another centrepiece unit. Luckily due to the way there are percentages now, you dont have the 7th edition debate of warlord versus seer, you can have both. I would suggest a naked warlord (or shogun for your eastern rats) as your general and then the bell can ring without impune. Yes you lose out on the extended leadership range, but still the bell has some cataclysmic explosions available, and you dont want your general to blow up. I once killed 66 of my own clanrats that way =)

sneakydust
09-01-2012, 12:58
Warp lightning cannon or plague claw catapult? The catapult seems like it would do alot better vs infantry than the cannon but I guess the cannon could still be used to snipe tougher things. What would you recommend. I only want one as I'll be taking a doomwheel as my second rare.

Oogie boogie boss
09-01-2012, 13:00
I'd go Cannon. If you want to take out massed infantry, then your weapons teams (WFT, Ratling Gun and PWM) can do that fine. The Cannon would be good for counter-battery fire and taking out elites/monsters at range.

sneakydust
09-01-2012, 13:03
Yeah that makes lots of sense. Pitty, I do like the catapult but I suppose it would also fit into my eshin/skryer army better.

Anyone else got any cool modeling ideas to make my army look more eshin??

Cheers

Memnos
09-01-2012, 13:10
NINJAS!

Skaven are crazy mutant creatures that die young, rarely living past their teen years. Eshin are Ninjas. You should do Eshin Stormvermin, wearing heavy carapace-like armor. Maybe like tortoise shell.

So, in essence, I'm suggesting that you make Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

The Low King
09-01-2012, 13:12
Don't listen to such nonsense, if you were to not play an army due to cheese, no one would play. Every army has something overpowered and abusable in it, its your choice where to be a gentleman about it.

Woodelves....

mrtn
09-01-2012, 22:20
So I want a reason why eshin and skryer are working together in this army, and why the grey seer is leading them, as the reasons behind this will flow into my modeling and painting styles.

Play a warlord clan closely allied to Eshin. They've hired help from Skryre. So, sorted. :)

thesheriff
09-01-2012, 22:45
Woodelves....

I was tanking that. I would really like Lord Squidar to tell me, as it would finally stop my months of head scratching.....

thesheriff

The Lion's Shade
09-01-2012, 22:55
I was just wondering are all the new army books hard back because I just prefer them.