PDA

View Full Version : White Dwarf Subscription?

him_15
11-01-2012, 08:29
Dear all
I would like to ask what actually is White Dwarf Subscription? is it a collection of all White Dwarf magazines with in one or two years? Thank you!
:)

Evil Hypnotist
11-01-2012, 08:54
Basically you have it delivered to your home every month instead of having to buy it from the shop.

You used to get an exclusive miniature when you took out an annual subscription. Not anymore.

You used to get it delievered a couple of days before it went on general sale. Not anymore.

In fact, the only reason to subscribe is that you get 3 free issues a year, and I don't know if they are still even doing that deal!

Felwether
11-01-2012, 09:14
You used to get an exclusive miniature when you took out an annual subscription. Not anymore.

You can still get the exclusive miniature.

SkawtheFalconer
11-01-2012, 10:12
Basically you have it delivered to your home every month instead of having to buy it from the shop.

There is a Suscribers only White Dwarf model, but you have to buy it - it's just only available to subscribers to buy.

You used to get it delievered a couple of days before it went on general sale. Not anymore.

This is a bit annoying, but not the end of the world, and its very handy to have it delivered to you.

In fact, the only reason to subscribe is that you get 3 free issues a year, and I don't know if they are still even doing that deal!

Certainly are, and this deal is not to be sniffed at.

Spiney Norman
11-01-2012, 11:21

Subscriber issues are currently being delivered fairly reliably on the day of release, at least thats when I've been getting mine for the past two months.

On the other hand just about any non-GW shop that stocks WD has them for sale before the release date, at least the supermarkets and local indy stockist in my town do.

Korraz
11-01-2012, 11:23
You can still get the exclusive miniature.

If you buy it extra, yes.

colonel kane trine
11-01-2012, 11:28
Ive been getting mine on day of release so it isnt that bad.
I get 3 free issues a year but thats the only advantage to being a subscriber really

lbecks
11-01-2012, 11:29
If you live in the US miniature market has a WD subscription service for 50 dollars, more than 50% off. No access to the exclusive mini though.

Thénon
11-01-2012, 11:46
you also get to buy the Games day ticket early and have the choice of getting a seminar pass.... at least in the uk anyway. :S

Lorcryst
11-01-2012, 12:22
If you buy it extra, yes.

Nope, there's three options :

1) You buy the White Dwarf model separately

2) You buy the "Subscription in a box", giving you one year of White Dwarfs AND the exclusive model

3) You buy a one or two year subscription to White Dwarf

I only bought the "Subscription in a box" once, when there was an exclusive Night Goblin Warboss with it (3 years ago ?), but since they are doing "White Dwarf in Space, in Flight, as a Pirate", my interest has stopped ... those new White Dwarf models aren't even usable in game :(

colonel kane trine
11-01-2012, 12:35
I agree with you the new models are very meh.
If I did get the pirate guy id just sell it on

Korraz
11-01-2012, 12:54
Nope, there's three options :

1) You buy the White Dwarf model separately

2) You buy the "Subscription in a box", giving you one year of White Dwarfs AND the exclusive model

3) You buy a one or two year subscription to White Dwarf

I only bought the "Subscription in a box" once, when there was an exclusive Night Goblin Warboss with it (3 years ago ?), but since they are doing "White Dwarf in Space, in Flight, as a Pirate", my interest has stopped ... those new White Dwarf models aren't even usable in game :(

At least here, the "option" with the miniature costs more than the one without. Essentially, you pay extra.

boli
11-01-2012, 15:46
When I used to subscribe (for about 2 years issue 179 to 2xx) they turned up about 5 days after they were on release in the local shop - and when they added the cardboard pages in the middle the postman bent them all in half to fit in the letter box :/.

But they were a nice christmas present - and a darn sight cheaper then as they are now.. think it was ~ £24 or somethign for a years subscription the first year and went to over £30 the second year.

tbh white dwarf got very dull around that time... think 1 or 2 warhammer battle reports (the best ones) a year. A W40k Battle report never had that "certain shine" WFB do. models just seemed to line up against each other and start firing until one side was declared the victor.

quietus1986
11-01-2012, 15:52
There is a Suscribers only White Dwarf model, but you have to buy it - it's just only available to subscribers to buy.

not any more you can always buy it separably.

Evil Hypnotist
12-01-2012, 00:29
After looking at the website a bit more carefully I conceed the Pirate Dwarf is exclusive, from first look it seems like you can order it without the subscription but the "add to cart" option isn't available on it.

Also, I'm glad to hear that the "3 months free" deal is still going, although I am envious to those of you who have received it on release day, in the last 6 months only once have I got it on the day I expected it. Still, saving £13.50 a year is worth subscribing for, it means I can pick myself up a new model :D

Maskedman5oh4
12-01-2012, 01:20
Meh- if you want something then pay for it.

If you don't want it, the don't pay for it.

I wonder if there is a forum I can go to gripe about those devil gas refineries and about how they keep raising prices on the gas! :mad:

Haravikk
12-01-2012, 14:52
Both the subscription in a box (one or two years) and direct debit (as long as you like) subscriptions work out cheaper than buying a White Dwarf every month, so if you do buy them regularly then it's well worth getting the subscription.

If however you're only interested in the occasional issue because it includes rules or whatever, then just pick them up at your local store or a newsagent that stocks it.

There are limited edition models that you can only get if you have a White Dwarf subscription, you don't need to buy a subscription in a box to get them either, if you already have a subscription then you can just pick them up like any other single miniature. There's only ever really the one miniature though, so if you're not keen on quirky Dwarf models then it's hardly a selling point, kind of surprises me that they don't offer a small selection as more of an incentive.

I'm on a direct debit subscription, and the way it works round here is that you pay I think £5 for the first three months, then £9 for each 3 month period after that. So you're almost getting two "free" issues in the first 3 months, then one "free" issue every 3 months after that, which is a decent deal so long as you actually want enough of the issues :)