PDA

View Full Version : Ogre advice

tau_caste
12-01-2012, 05:15
Ok so ive recently started an Ogre army.. well technically ive had them since the previous book (but only a few models) but decided to actually get something started since the new book.

Now im looking for some advice.

im trying to avoid buying any of the finecast character models due to a/ having never got a single good condition finecast model and b/ im not really a fan of the tyrant model or the butcher model.

Now my main thing is what to do with what ive got. i got given a stonehorn/thundertusk and a scraplauncher/ironblaster for christmas and im thinking that if i make a thundertusk and scraplauncher i have enough spare parts to make my own hunter using the ironblaster ogre and the hunter pieces from the stonehorn plus various other pieces of course.

option 2 is i make the stonehorn (at the moment i dont have many points and will use the stonehorn/thundertusk over the scraplauncher/ironblaster in 1000 point games and cant afford to use the hunter on stonehorn.) i would still make the scraplauncher but instead make the ogre into an army standard bearer maybe.

also, if i was to buy one of the tyrants, what would be the best weapon options? the great weapon or additional hand weapon? fairly new to actually playing fantasy and dont really know how things work to well.

Confessor_Atol
12-01-2012, 15:46
The iron blaster is more reliable than the scrappy.

There are plenty of things that can be done to avoid finecast. Kit-bashing a hunter is a good idea, but keep in mind that he could also be a beast butcher, with very little explaination.

The Mornfang box comes with extra pistols and great weapons. That would be a great way to represent Maneaters......

My BSB (click my plog link, and feel free to comment:D) comes from the stonehorn box, oh and ther's a kitbashed beast butcher in there too! Check it out.

BaSe
12-01-2012, 17:45
I've managed to get my tyrant and SM of eBay for 10 each and have made a butcher out of a bull with greenstuff (for an apron).
I have a single weapon built on my bsb mainly because I love the model and usually intend to yards great weapon. I personally think with characters build it as you want it to look then arm it after that. This is your army focus point after all.

Lord Inquisitor
12-01-2012, 17:52
Of the things you have now, the Ironblaster is probably what you want to make out of the chariot kit. I have love for the Scraplauncher for a number of reasons but I can attest to the usefulness of the blaster.

In terms of characters, you're going to want a Slaughtermaster/Butcher. Really necessary sooner or later. If you're up for the challenge you can make just about any character out of plastic kits - I've made my characters out of minotaur plastic kits for some really hulking models. It needs a good bit of conversion work however.

In terms of the Tyrant, I like a shield/ironfist in one hand and a sword or magic weapon in the other. Bear in mind you won't be able to get both a Slaughtermaster and a Tyrant in the same list until you get to 2500 or larger games, and most people will usually go for the Slaughtermaster and many if not most ogre players use only a Slaughtermaster for a Lord even at 2500 points. (I use a Tyrant and it's not a terrible choice but it is tough to fit him in even at 2500). With, say, a greedy fist and fencer's blades, a slaughtermaster can pretty much match a tyrant for combat ability.