PDA

View Full Version : New to VC and I have a couple of questions

antin3
15-01-2012, 02:10
Hi all,
SInce I have tried to register with Carpe Noctem and not received anything and can't log on, I'll ask here.
I am sitting here putting together my GG I am curious. How should I arm them. GW or shield and HW? I pre-ordered the book but I havent received it yet.
Also I love the skeleton minis but I keep reading they suck. I like them much better than the zombie models. Is it true? Are they that bad? Please tell me it ain't so...
Thanks for any advise/help.

NitrosOkay
15-01-2012, 02:32
Skeletons are perfectly fine in the new book, they'll likely be the go-to core choice for most armies. You'll want Zombies too though, they both have a place.

Grave Guard pack a lot more killing power with great weapons and will probably go last with hand weapons anyway. I think the great weapons are the better choice.

antin3
15-01-2012, 03:00
Thanks that helps. I am just getting ready to assemble the arms on the GG.

Ratbeast
15-01-2012, 04:00
band wagon vc players :shifty:

quietus1986
15-01-2012, 07:53
I prefer my GG with HW and SH. and skellie's wil be oke but still think fighting core is crypt ghouls.

Eddiethehott
15-01-2012, 07:56
GW's dear god GWs.

lets you wound ogres and most other monstrous infantry on 2's. Wounding bigger monsters usually on 4's. THe killing blow is just extra.

quietus1986
15-01-2012, 07:59
Do know my HW did better against ogers than my GW. But like all chooses its a opinion.

Mehena
16-01-2012, 00:27
Everyone misses the most important question how do you actually transport a Mortis engine/ coven throne without breaking it all the time!

NitrosOkay
16-01-2012, 01:26
Everyone misses the most important question how do you actually transport a Mortis engine/ coven throne without breaking it all the time!

You could buy the $100 monster case from Games Workshop.

quietus1986
16-01-2012, 02:10
Or you can do it like I transport my strigoi In a towel and than in a hard box.

RTGamer
16-01-2012, 02:46
3 inch battlefoam tray custom cut so the engine can lay on it's side and be safe. Plus it also doubles as good for the Varghiests/Crypt horrors around the custom cut out.

Askari
16-01-2012, 11:40
Grave Guard always Great Weapons.

S6 or S4 parry? Not even an option for me...

malisteen
16-01-2012, 17:17
Tissue packing wrap in a shoebox.

As for grave guard, I lean great weapon as well, but there's something to be said for 4+/6++ infantry, especially if you think you can reliably get the vigor spell off on them to supplement their offense. Kind of depends on what you need. To you have knights & gheists & monsters to hurt things, but need a tough anvil? hand weapons will do well for you then. Do you have some tougher units, maybe a big block of horrors, and want something with a high strength kick? Great weapons.

Again, in general I say great weapons, but with the amount of offense some armies can put out, I can see the point of a tougher unit. If you're taking the mortis engine, then especially GW, as the regen it grants won't stack with a parry save, anyway.

Petey
16-01-2012, 23:31
If you have great weapons
- Everyone hits you first
- You don't need them to kill elves
- Missles are more killy against you
- Melee will kill more of your models

If you have Hand Weapon and shield
- You lack the str needed to ignore most of the armor you ll come across
- You cant hurt most high toughness things, which then eat you
- A third of your hits don't wound against most targets

The Thin White Duke
16-01-2012, 23:52
band wagon vc players :shifty:

What of it? The armies just been released, it brings new players, that's good for the long term prospects of the army.

Try not to be a dick about it please.

Penitent Engine
17-01-2012, 00:00
I go for great weapon GG and stick them near either a character with invocation and VDM (the spell or Book of Arkhan), maybe next to a Corpse Cart as well, to cancel the ASL rule.

This isn't always useful, as many units have I4 or better (Warriors of Chaos, all elves). In that case, you can charge a single Bat Swarm into the enemy flank, assuming that you can weather the likely CR from it being splatted.

Pull that off with Vanhel's or a Cart and the Banner of the Barrows, you've got 11 S6 killing blow attacks striking first, hitting on 3+ with anything less than WS7, potentially with re-rolls depending on what you use and what you're fighting.

Just don't let them get flanked. And if your general's in there, NEVER send them in without support!