WoC
Vamps

however i need a new army and a new challenge, so what i want in the army is
very powerful magic
great magic defense
not alot of str3 t3 models
some shooting
good in combat

oh and my prefered playstyle is, to sit back and shoot you til you get close enough which is when i will charge you.

quietus1986
15-01-2012, 10:31
Ogre's ma by not allot of shooty army's that aren't manly str3 t 3 units

Dreadlordpaul
15-01-2012, 10:38
Ogre's ma by not allot of shooty army's that aren't manly str3 t 3 units

i had thought of ogres but at the time i did they had their old book. what is the new book like?

Druchii Monkey
15-01-2012, 10:58
i had thought of ogres but at the time i did they had their old book. what is the new book like?

The new book is excellent... and if you like shooting, ogres can be fun.

The real strength of ogres when it comes to shooting is doing it on the move, the army has little in the way of penalties for doing this.

Imagine 6 leadbelchers shooting D6 shots on the move each, backed up by an ironblaster with strength 10 grapeshot (charging like a chariot if you want it to), with a thundertusk - which effectively gives you a mobile stone thrower (with no adverse effects for misfires) and a bolt thrower.

What i have not seen yet in my gaming circles which would be a challenge is doing a really shooty ogre army. Add the above units to a unit of maneaters with braces of pistols and the sniper special rule.

None of the above is core so you would need a bit of non-shooty troops to make up that 25%. If you're feeling crazy do your core 100% from gnoblars, otherwise just a few units of basic ogres.

I think a shooty ogre army could be good fun and a real challenge as well. :evilgrin:
p.s. perhaps best to forget about the gnoblars.

Dreadlordpaul
15-01-2012, 11:02
The new book is excellent... and if you like shooting, ogres can be fun.

The real strength of ogres when it comes to shooting is doing it on the move, the army has little in the way of penalties for doing this.

Imagine 6 leadbelchers shooting D6 shots on the move each, backed up by an ironblaster with strength 10 grapeshot (charging like a chariot if you want it to), with a thundertusk - which effectively gives you a mobile stone thrower (with no adverse effects for misfires) and a bolt thrower.

What i have not seen yet which would be a challenge is doing a really shooty army. Add the above units to a unit of Maneaters with braces of pistols and the sniper special rule.

None of the above is core so you would need a bit of non-shooty troops to make up that 25%. If you're feeling crazy do your core 100% from gnoblars, otherwise just a few units of basic ogres.

I think a shooty ogre army could be good fun and a real challenge as well. :evilgrin:
p.s. perhaps best to forget about the gnoblars.

i agree it could be a challenge. my army would be half shooting half combat, so it looks like i could be in for a very fun army :D

quietus1986
15-01-2012, 11:05
the books really good but haven't really read it all ( don't play them)
O&G are a nice shooty army to but than your back at the T3 but ork archers are hard.
long bow's but they still have chopa's okey only 1At but stil +1st in first round

Dreadlordpaul
15-01-2012, 11:08
i will have a think about ogres and O&G :)

hobodog
15-01-2012, 11:12
Lizardmen.
You got your mainstay of Sauruses, add some Stegadons in there and a Slann-Mage Priest and you got what you want

Druchii Monkey
15-01-2012, 11:14
i agree it could be a challenge. my army would be half shooting half combat, so it looks like i could be in for a very fun army :D

And ogres have funky magic, lots of buffs can be given to ogre troops with lore of the maw, and you've got the firebelly with lore of fire and a breath weapon, and also the potential to add as a second wizard a low level caster with lore of beasts ("Wyssan's Wildform" - excellent buff for ogres) or a high level spell caster with lore of heavens - think about adding "Comet of Casandora" to your shooty capability. You can't have this all at once but you've got options. Also these ogre wizards have high wounds and the butchers/slaughtermasters are immune to poison. This makes them fairly resilient.

BigbyWolf
15-01-2012, 11:16
hey guys, as the title says i need ideas for a new army. i currently have
dark/high elves
WoC
Vamps

very powerful magic
great magic defense
some shooting
good in combat

oh and my prefered playstyle is, to sit back and shoot you til you get close enough which is when i will charge you.

I'd honestly suggest sitting back and developing what you've got at the moment, I mean, you've just started your pre-sundering Malekith army, and not been at the WoC for too long. Also, Vampire Counts have got a new book with lots of spangly new toys to play with. Just my two cents, but rushing into a new army tends to mean a lot of unfinished models/ armies laying around. I speak from experience here, it's taken me two years to catch up with the armies I have, despite being constantly tempted to start something new!

Dreadlordpaul
15-01-2012, 11:28
i am still keeping at my current armies. i just wanted something else to challenge myself with

Preacher
15-01-2012, 17:49
dark/high elves
WoC
Vamps

very powerful magic
great magic defense
some shooting
good in combat

For a challenge try painting a 3000 point list of each of those armies first!!:p

Thats a serious challenge.

As stated more armies leads to so many unfinished projects. I'm also speaking from experience. I have Wood Elves(main army), Lizardmen(main army 2), a High Elf project, a Brett army, a TK, Beastmen and an assortment of VC models. Only the Wood Elves are completely painted(which I want to re-paint). I got caught up in wanting something new and its left me with a shed load of lovely grey models. I hate myself.

I got all excited with the VC rumours and almost placed a massive pre order, but luckily I talked my self out of it.

So now I'm going to try to trade away the Bretts, TK and VC and put everything into finishing the Beastmen Army. I hate having so many unpainted models.

But if a new army is really really really what you think you need, (although its odd cause the army you have described you wanted is basically WoC) I would go with Lizardmen.

Great magic, great defence with items and the Slann itself. They are pretty rock hard in combat, saurus and temple guard aren't going anywhere. All T4, S4. You can get shooting with Chameleon Skinks, Skinks, Stegs, Sallies and Razors.

But my overall vote would be to finish the 3 armies you have.

Just my .02

Darnok
15-01-2012, 17:58
however i need a new army and a new challenge, so what i want in the army

[...]

How about actually playing the game? That should be quite some challenge, other than passively sitting it out...

The Low King
15-01-2012, 18:18
dark/high elves
WoC
Vamps.

So im guessing you want something that plays differently from them?

very powerful magic
great magic defense
some shooting
good in combat.

well, except for the powerful magic Dwarfs would be best.....
Ogres are very much moving forwards whilst shooting...
Tomb kings do well but have a lot of T3 S3 models and are a bit similar to VC...
Lizardmen probably best

Lizardmen can do this. Slan and templeguard (for very good magic) sit back and hit you whilst skinks, salamanders etc shoot you.

They can also have some very good magic defence

Dreadlordpaul
16-01-2012, 09:41
How about actually playing the game? That should be quite some challenge, other than passively sitting it out...

i do play the game

@low king: i do like the dwarfs how do you find they fare without a magic phase

Mage
16-01-2012, 11:08
I would recommend Lizardmen, different from what you already have, is good at everything, and ticks all the boxes.

SunTzu
16-01-2012, 11:13
very powerful magic
great magic defense
some shooting
good in combat

Sounds like Lizardmen to me. Granted to get the shooting you'll (to all intents and purposes) have to take Skinks (low S and T), but nothing in this world is perfect, right?

Charistoph
16-01-2012, 15:59
@low king: i do like the dwarfs how do you find they fare without a magic phase

The Dwarfs have a Magic Phase, it's just mixed up in all the rest of the player's turn, most of it being "cast" before hand.

Dreadlordpaul
16-01-2012, 16:03
Sounds like Lizardmen to me. Granted to get the shooting you'll (to all intents and purposes) have to take Skinks (low S and T), but nothing in this world is perfect, right?
yeah i like their look i dont mind skinks because their shooting is mean

The Dwarfs have a Magic Phase, it's just mixed up in all the rest of the player's turn, most of it being "cast" before hand.

ah that iis true