PDA

View Full Version : Most effective Fimir use?

Ironmonger
15-01-2012, 22:22
So, the title says it all: what do y'all think is an optimum build and usage for the new Fimir unit from WF? Assuming we're gonna get them as a bound unit in Monsterous Arcana, what are people's thoughts on numbers in a unit, armies to use them with, and effectiveness against other big hitters?

Jack of Blades
15-01-2012, 22:33
Well, they're monstrous infantry with a good save and T. They're best employed in armies that would like additional help in close combat against fairly expensive T4 enemies with a 4+ or worse save who rely on S4-5 to kill enemies so stuff like chaos warriors, saurus and dwarfs. Don't use them against models that can negate their high toughness and save (not that there's many of those). I think they're best used supported by a miasma from lore of shadows because that's going to make the difference between a unit of say 4 fimir warriors taking casualties from crushing a unit of chaos warriors or not. It makes a world of difference hitting your target on 3s instead of 4s and the opposite for your enemy. You don't need to use miasma (it's just the first thing that comes to mind and the most obvious debuff for my example), the point is that if you can boost their survivability just that little bit, you can let them take out their targets on their own without needing support.

Astraeos
15-01-2012, 22:52
I was planning on asking an opponent if I could take them as a rare unit in a friendly game!

Ironmonger
15-01-2012, 23:01
But, for what army?

Feefait
16-01-2012, 00:33
I'd be cool with them being used as rares in Beastmen, Chaos and Dark elves as a standing choice.

Eddie Chaos
16-01-2012, 00:52
But, for what army?

well anyone can take them because they are a scroll on binding, I suppose they will be more useful to armys without their own monstrous infantry.

LaughinGremlin
16-01-2012, 03:22
If you have a powerful, dark sorcerer, like a human rogue Shadow or Amethyst mage, or any powerful mage of low character, then he'd have minions of such a nature as Fimir. It could be VERY thematic. Think of other ways in which you can make this theme a realization. Even a Necromancer could make Fimir his minions while he raises others to do his bidding too.

popisdead
17-01-2012, 20:40
Pretty sure it's obvious from the rules.

Ambush on behind unit, clobber, don't take wounds back. Win combat.

They are an amazing unit.

Malorian
17-01-2012, 21:46
I find they work best in Heroquest...

Chickenbane
18-01-2012, 17:27
Christ! I sold my HQ fimir on ebay, didn't realise they were worth that much.:rolleyes:

Dark Aly
18-01-2012, 17:34
Christ! I sold my HQ fimir on ebay, didn't realise they were worth that much.:rolleyes:

Really? I've got 6.

I don't think theres a lot of subtlety in using Fimir to be honest.

Still Standing
18-01-2012, 18:18
I have vague plans on using a unit of 6 as Chaos Trolls. If it turns out that I can use them as they are I shall be very happy.

Morkash
18-01-2012, 18:53
I'll use them as Chaos Ogres with Chaos Armour and Great Weapons. Armoured with big clubs, they're perfect for it.