PDA

View Full Version : Thorgrims Quest

thorgrim
16-01-2012, 06:05
Greetings all. Having recently rediscovered warhammer quest i have set myself a challenge. To assemble and paint a full collection of monsters and 'official' warriors. I'll be using GW models throughout (unless I spot something particularly nice from somewhere else). To begin heres a few pictures of what i have sorted out so far.

Also I take no credit for the paint job on the 'man on fire' wizard. He was painted by a friend of mine to prove to everyone that that model doesn't have to look silly. The same man will be painting Heinrich and Krell lurking at the back of the warriors picture.

All suggestions and criticisms are welcome (although they may be ignored :p ).

Thorgrim

Maniex
16-01-2012, 07:37
Did you buy Arachnarok just to throw it out and keep the spiderlings and forest goblins? :-)

Nice collection.

thorgrim
16-01-2012, 13:45
Maybe :shifty: Well that was part of the reason the other is that i like the model and want to use it alongside my Wood Elves in Storm of Magic but that one doesn't come with the fighting platform. Also avter some consultation with the rest of the players we are hopong to write some rules for the beast for Quest (providing we survive long enough to take something like that on).

Mr Feral
16-01-2012, 19:47
Cool, I dig the mix of plastic models to represent Monsters!

Any idea on which ones you'll do first? :)

thorgrim
17-01-2012, 01:46
I think that I'll start with the night goblins followed by the skeletons. The monsters so far are:
20 night goblins
13 skeletons
18 skaven
10 dark elf corsairs
12 spiders (including a goblin with one on his face)
10 savage orcs
7 forest goblins
3 goblin characters
heinrich and krell
wight king
9 bats
5 rats

The 2 ogres will be repainted at some point but are a ways down the list. A pair of minotaurs should be added to the list thanks to alexh. Centaurs will be built using marauder horsemen (both the horses and riders) and I'll thank necanthrope for the inspiration to build them.

Velsharoon
17-01-2012, 11:09
Its something I have always wanted to do, just need to find a cheap copy of the game for the tiles first! Good luck and enjoy.

Necanthrope
17-01-2012, 16:36
Centaurs will be built using marauder horsemen (both the horses and riders) and I'll thank necanthrope for the inspiration to build them.
Anytime, old boy.

Nice mix of starting monsters there. Would the Arachnarok not count as a gigantic spider though? I've not seen a model in the flesh so I can't judge the size enough to see if the stats would do it justice.

thorgrim
17-01-2012, 17:37
The Arachnarok is a big beastie. The main problem i can see is actually fitting him into a room that allows the warriors to get in a position to attack it (the base is 100mmx 150mm). There are 3 stats for spiders that i know about but i thought they were for swarmy one, the ones that get ridden by normal gobbos then the bigger 'hero' mount one (although if i'm wrong please correct me). The Arachnarok is in the same weight class as the stegadon, sphinx, giant and dragons if that helps pin him down to a stat line.

thorgrim
17-01-2012, 17:43
Its something I have always wanted to do, just need to find a cheap copy of the game for the tiles first! Good luck and enjoy.

I won't be using the original Quest tiles set as they go for way too mich on Ebay. I am instead having a set printed up on plasticard (mainly because i know a man who can :p ). I'll PM you a cost for printing them like that if you like.

Nachie
17-01-2012, 18:42
I've been needing a good Gigantic Spider model, and it's nice to see that you can assemble the Arachnarok Spider without the goblin howdah and everything. Very nice!

Daemonslave
17-01-2012, 22:43
Can't wait to see this project as it goes along, especially if that painted Fire Wizard is anything to go by (even if he is blue :confused:).

Regarding the Aracnarok for a Gigantic Spider, I think it's a bit big as it's only a level 3 (or is it 4?) beastie. Personally I'd make it a level 7/8 monster and make up rules for it (that's my aim). You can then post your stuff in the New WHQ monsters section - rules for more monsters are always welcome!

Heresy do nice Gigantic Spiders, but they're metal and a bit fiddly (though a perfect size in my opinion) If there was something like that in plastic (or resin) then I think that would be ideal.

thorgrim
18-01-2012, 14:31
Can't wait to see this project as it goes along, especially if that painted Fire Wizard is anything to go by (even if he is blue :confused:).

I take no credit for the superb paint job on the wizard. It was painted by a friend of mine to show the folks at my local store that he doesn't have to look like hes been set on fire. Now hes a Jade wizard :p My own painting is at a much lower level but my friend has agreed to paint Heinrich and Krell for me so there will be some top notch painting to come.

thorgrim
22-01-2012, 14:51
Hi there. Well the painting had to take a backseat this week due to a epic dungeon (thanks to some secret doors we located a extra 3 objective rooms :wtf:) This in turn lead to our band of adventurers barely surviving the dungeon (thanks to some quick thinking by the vampiric chaos warrior my wizard is now a vampire and was able to ressurrect the rest of the party).

I have made some progress on the model front though. The skellies and Night goblins are currently half painted (hopefully finished for next thursdays game), I have the first of my minotaurs bathing in paint stripper and I have nearly finished building the Centaurs. Instead of green stuffing the bodies to the horses i have decided to cover the join instead. As you can see i have a few more gaps to cover on the sides of them.

So what do you guys think?

Maniex
22-01-2012, 18:00
These are some nice centaurs. However I think you should try to remove the saddles with files, sharp knife and some green stuff :-)

Necanthrope
25-01-2012, 10:38
I agree, the saddles stand out quite a bit. Why not try a fur cloak over them?
Other than that, they are really good.

Mr Feral
26-01-2012, 19:01
Another alternative might I suggest (if you have the bitz), is to trim the saddles down to the "cloth" part and hang on bagging, sacks and other travelling equipment? :)

Velsharoon
27-01-2012, 12:53
I won't be using the original Quest tiles set as they go for way too mich on Ebay. I am instead having a set printed up on plasticard (mainly because i know a man who can :p ). I'll PM you a cost for printing them like that if you like.

That would be fantastic please do. Infact my group just started into pathfinder so hopefully I might be able to introduce WHQ as part of that.

Chickenbane
30-01-2012, 19:37
The Arachnarok spider looks huuuuge! Level 7/8 and above! I'd love to see the rules for it when you write them up (and also how your adventurers deal with it too). Its a difficult quest and I hope you make it. Many have tried and failed (me for one:().

Daemonslave
30-01-2012, 21:35
Personally I was thinking of making it a level 6/7 monster despite its size. It is just a big spider after all, so I made my stats to represent that;

Here's what I came up with - I haven't play tested it really, so would welcome feedback.

W 48, M 6, WS 6, BS -, S Special, T 6, I 3, A 4, Gold 2600, arm -, Dam 4D6

Special: Web 2D6, Large Monster

Any thoughts?

Nachie
31-01-2012, 03:58
So does the spider's web attack count as one of its attacks, or does it get 4 regular attacks at 4D6 damage in addition to a special web attack that either webs a warrior or does 2D6 unmodified damage to one whom is already webbed?

I would add rules for it to always be placed alongside 2D6 or more "regular" giant spiders, and make its web harder to break free of (strength test with a target of 8 or 9 maybe?)

Looks like some great rules to me, though. Let us know how it plays!

Daemonslave
31-01-2012, 17:57
So does the spider's web attack count as one of its attacks, or does it get 4 regular attacks at 4D6 damage in addition to a special web attack that either webs a warrior or does 2D6 unmodified damage to one whom is already webbed?

Good point. I just used the other Spider rules as a template and uberfied it. Spiders have no need of a damage value as this is accounted for in their web value. Just ignore it then like you do for other spiders.

I would add rules for it to always be placed alongside 2D6 or more "regular" giant spiders, and make its web harder to break free of (strength test with a target of 8 or 9 maybe?)

Yeah, perhaps the web rule could be slightly altered to needing a strength 7 test against Giant Spiders, 8 against Gigantic Spiders and 9 against the Arachnarok.

P.S. Sorry for taking over your thread @ thorgrim

Purplebeard
05-02-2012, 10:21
Have you tried the spider against some warriors yet? The warriors aren't going to like it one bit, tee hee :P