PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Counts or Tomb Kings, Which Fits This Idea Better?

Gerod253
16-01-2012, 20:56
As the title says I have an idea that has been kicking around in my brain for a while. I'm wondering if now might be a good time to start putting it together. Still, I need to figure out which book would do the idea the most justice.

The idea is to build an undead army that is centered around the Barrow King concept. An ancient king has been returned to life by the magic of the world and, with the help of the Druids/Necromancers that have cared for his barrow he is raising armies of followers with the intention to reclaim his old lands, which are now known as Bretonnia. For this army I am seeing large blocks of skeleton infantry, mainly spears and shields, with one or two elite units that make one think of the Roman Legion. I'm considering a few small units of cavalry, but mostly want to include things which are classic undead options, such as a banshee, wraiths, spirits, ect. I'm not big on zombies or ghouls though.

Tomb Kings: This seems like a more natural fit for the characters. Can a Tomb King wear Heavy Armor and carry a shield in the current book? How about those Knights who ride the serpents? I can see getting some heavy cavalry looking units to stand in for them. Will Skeletons with spear and shield be able to function? Or would they be a waste of points unless I equipped them with bows and allowed units of Tomb Guard to do all of the heavy hitting? Tomb Guard with hand weapon and shield, can they pull their weight against monsters and other heavy infantry? Just how good is the Casket of Souls in this army book? Is it possible to win without taking the big monsters? Are the catapults required? I don't want to use chariots, but don't know if I can win without them.

Vampire Counts: Can a Wight King be the General of my army? I'd want to put him either mounted with a unit of Black Knights or on foot with Grave Guard. If I deny myself the use of vampires or any kind will I be able to put enough hurt onto my enemies to be able to win, or would I simply be fighting a war of attrition with my skeleton warriors? Would Banshees, Wraiths, and spirit hosts be able to pick up the slack by attacking my opponents' flanks or simply demoralizing them as my Skeletons and Grave Guard push home the attack?

So, am I mad?

Iron_Lord
16-01-2012, 21:00
Your general must be a wizard with Lore of the Vampires.

So, you need at least one necromancer or vampire in your army as the general.

Gerod253
16-01-2012, 21:02
Ah, I thought so. I was planning on including a few necromancers anyway if I went that rout. Thanks for the information.

Lester
16-01-2012, 21:35
If the king must be your general and you, or your opponets, are not willing to let him be proxied as a Vampire Lord (set him up as a Combat Monster), the Tomb Kings is your real option, as the Tomb King is both a Skeleton and can be the General.

Iverald
16-01-2012, 21:38
You have a nice idea indeed. :) Since the new pictures first came, I've been thinking along similar lines (not sold on zombies and mutilated bodies like on the on Corpse Cart).

I've never been much interested in undead until the recent releases, so I can't help you much with the overall army composition and rules...

If you go for VC, then as Iron_Lord said you need a necromancer.
I like your idea of necromancers or druids raising the army. Especially the druids can constitute a nice plot hook. Maybe they are not necessarily "evil," maybe they grew sick of feudal lords insulting the Old Faith and the barrow armies are just temporary means to right the wrongs?
I know that this direction is going dangerously close to D&D cliché "druids want balance," I guess I played Baldur's gate one time too many. :shifty:

However, should you want an all-dead look to your army, I'd go for converting an empire wizard into a lich. In that way you'd represent priests and shamans of old, waking up and raising tha armies to beat back the impostors, as per the TK fluff.

Sexiest_hero
16-01-2012, 22:18
TK will work for you!

Snowflake
16-01-2012, 22:22
With the description you give, I would go with Vampires. TK infantry is lackluster on it's best day, and your concept seems to center around blocks of infantry. If you want an army centered around Chariots and Monsters/Monstrous Cavalry, then TK are what you're looking for. But for infantry hordes, go with VC.

mrtn
16-01-2012, 22:22
I've been thinking along similar lines. I think I will go with VC in the end, since my impression (please let me know if I'm wrong!) is that the Tomb Kings army doesn't work very well if you want an infantry based army without lots of monsters and statues.

I voted for cake.

Edit: Crossposted with Snowflake who seems to agree with this assessment.

Gerod253
17-01-2012, 00:17
So, if I want infantry then VC is the way to go?

Sounds like if I went the TK rout I would need chariots. Is that true?

Also, the people I play against are fairly competitive. One of them already plays VC and another Brets. I am thinking that while I'm not too fussed about winning I'd rather not get consistently stomped every time.

Delicious Ron
17-01-2012, 01:14
I had a similar idea and I would go with TK simply because VC skeletons cant take bows.

Yamabushi
17-01-2012, 01:39
The whole ancient army feels definitely points to the Tomb Kings. As to whether or not TK infantry sucks, it depends though.

A 50 man skeleton infantry block led by a Tomb Prince, will definitely win (eventually) over a 50 man skeleton infantry block led by a Vampire Thrall, as long as the Prince is alive.

Enigmatik1
17-01-2012, 01:42
The whole ancient army feels definitely points to the Tomb Kings. As to whether or not TK infantry sucks, it depends though.

A 50 man skeleton infantry block led by a Tomb Prince, will definitely win (eventually) over a 50 man skeleton infantry block led by a Vampire Thrall, as long as the Prince is alive.

This.

Basically, if you intend to have every infantry unit you field have a character (or two) in it to make it function then go TK. If not, go VC.

Snowflake
17-01-2012, 03:49
So, if I want infantry then VC is the way to go?

Sounds like if I went the TK rout I would need chariots. Is that true?

Also, the people I play against are fairly competitive. One of them already plays VC and another Brets. I am thinking that while I'm not too fussed about winning I'd rather not get consistently stomped every time.

Yes. You can try all you want to make TK infantry anything other than mediocre, and it's just going to end up leaving you with a bad taste in your mouth, wondering why your guys do so poorly compared to everyone else's. If you're attached to the infantry way of life, go VC. If you want to go more off-kilter style with Chariots and Monsters, then TK will serve you better than VC will.

Delicious Ron
17-01-2012, 04:27
Yes. You can try all you want to make TK infantry anything other than mediocre, and it's just going to end up leaving you with a bad taste in your mouth, wondering why your guys do so poorly compared to everyone else's. If you're attached to the infantry way of life, go VC. If you want to go more off-kilter style with Chariots and Monsters, then TK will serve you better than VC will.

What if you want infantry with bows/ranged attacks?

Snowflake
17-01-2012, 04:36
What if you want infantry with bows/ranged attacks?

He didn't mention shooting in his inquiry. He spoke of ranked infantry w/ spears and shields, Roman legion style.

As for my statement, I wasn't lumping archers under the category infantry. I categorize them under support or shooting, since you generally don't want them in combat infantry style.

Delicious Ron
17-01-2012, 04:40
He didn't mention shooting in his inquiry. He spoke of ranked infantry w/ spears and shields, Roman legion style.

As for my statement, I wasn't lumping archers under the category infantry. I categorize them under support or shooting, since you generally don't want them in combat infantry style.

Oh I know, But I'm having a similar idea as the op and I love the idea of old school skeleton archers ala Dark Omen... so it was a genuine question! :evilgrin:

Snowflake
17-01-2012, 04:41
Oh I know, But I'm having a similar idea as the op and I love the idea of old school skeleton archers ala Dark Omen... so it was a genuine question! :evilgrin:

I'd certainly go TK for the archers. My current build has archers supporting Chariots and Knights with a Warsphinx thrown in, without an infantry block in sight. I actually want to trim some points to shove in more archers.

Skywave
17-01-2012, 05:18
Since the OP said he's not really going for Ghouls or Zombies, I find it kinda funny that most people said to go with VC if you want an infantry-heavy skeleton force because it suck with Tomb Kings. Really? Same stats and same cost across both book, can't think of anything more biased than this, they are thechnically identical! If anything, the Tomb Kings Skeleton will work much much better with the kind of army the OP is envisioning. A Tomb Prince in each units will work wonder for that kind of army (will not win any tournament, but WS5 Skeletons is better than WS2 Skeletons). The Vampires? They will not make the Skeletons any better in combat, they will only bring their attacks into the mix, but so is the Kings and Princes.

Tomb Kings: This seems like a more natural fit for the characters. Can a Tomb King wear Heavy Armor and carry a shield in the current book? How about those Knights who ride the serpents? I can see getting some heavy cavalry looking units to stand in for them. Will Skeletons with spear and shield be able to function? Or would they be a waste of points unless I equipped them with bows and allowed units of Tomb Guard to do all of the heavy hitting? Tomb Guard with hand weapon and shield, can they pull their weight against monsters and other heavy infantry? Just how good is the Casket of Souls in this army book? Is it possible to win without taking the big monsters? Are the catapults required? I don't want to use chariots, but don't know if I can win without them.

Tomb Kings/Princes can only get heavy armor via magic tems but they do have a shield option. The Necropolis Knights are a great unit, but nothing overpowered. They use chariot bases are quite costly, so you won't have huge unit of those, units of 3 and 4 seems to be the norm. If you core is mostly Skeletons with a character or two, they can work. They aren't good, but with a good amount of them they should be ok. Spear will cost you +1pts per model (VC seems to get spear for free), and most of the time it isn't worth it. I personally prefer the parry save versus a limited number of S3 attacks (10 at best if you horde them). Tomb Guards with hand weapon and shield is probably our most resiliant units, and they do have S4 attacks with KB, wich isn't bad. The Caket is awesome and is the closest thing we have to a "must have" unit. As for winning without the rest, it's hard to say, it will depend on your grasp of your army, the meta game in your area and other stuff like that.

Vampire Counts: Can a Wight King be the General of my army? I'd want to put him either mounted with a unit of Black Knights or on foot with Grave Guard. If I deny myself the use of vampires or any kind will I be able to put enough hurt onto my enemies to be able to win, or would I simply be fighting a war of attrition with my skeleton warriors? Would Banshees, Wraiths, and spirit hosts be able to pick up the slack by attacking my opponents' flanks or simply demoralizing them as my Skeletons and Grave Guard push home the attack?

As said, the general need to be a wizard. With no Vampires in the army it can be though (depending if you still use some vampire units or ban anything "vampire"), but shouldn't be too different than a necromancer-only army. All ethereal stuff are great distractor units, and can be very hard to deal with with some match-up. Wraith aren't bad in combat either. Skeletons will strugle more in a Vampire-based army.

Jind_Singh
17-01-2012, 05:39
army wise - Vamps - cuz wight king can't be a lord, nor can he take over the army.

fluffwise it's the tomb kings - why? Cuz only necros or vamps retain any of their thoughts/motives in their unlife. Were as Tomb Kings remember fully their previous lives and try to hold on to their mouldy and crumbly ways!

Their warriors also retain some memories of their past lives - were as Vampire Undead are just meat machines that move!!!

You COULD do a Blood Knight themed army but still have to figure out what the blood knight was doing all those ages and ages while he turned.

Tomb Kings however ruled all the way to what is currently the Empire - so it's easy to imagine a tomb king that was killed in battle and was interred in the foreign lands with his loyal retainers. Then some dastardly dude stooped in the dark arts tries to raise some easy meat shields for his perverted undead fantasies - but little did he contend with raising a fully aware Tomb King!! Whose mighty mad! so after hacking the sod apart he then looks around with disdain and remembers what it was like...in the good old days!!

Viola! Motive is there, army is there, and it's kinda neat!

Nubl0
17-01-2012, 06:17
Honestly those saying not to take TK because their blocks of infantry are mediocre should also mention that VC skellies are arguably worse ;P

StormCrow
17-01-2012, 06:51
If you want a core of skeleton warriors then tomb kings are more versatile with archers, swordsmen, spearmen, chariots and elite infantry. Also they can be raised from bad to great warriors with the help of a prince/necrotect and a few choice spells. I think people who say they are mediocre at best have an uninformed opinion, especially if they're comparing them to vampire count skeletons whose only advantage is their ability to be raised back.
The tomb king army can work without constructs at a friendly level but you'd want to include either chariots, tomb guard or necropolis knights so you at least have some punch.

On the other hand the Vampire Counts have special and rare choices that would probably be far more suitable for barrow kings in the form of spirit hosts, wraiths, hew wraiths, black knights, and banshees. If you can handle the idea of using your skeleton blocks as throwaway units rather than the mainstay of your army then this might be a more suitable choice. Krell would make for an excellent barrow king, but unfortunately there is no option to have anything other than a vampire, ghoul king or necromancer as your general.

As a third alternative you could try creating your own list using units from both armies, provided you play with a group that doesn't mind that sort of thing.

Spiney Norman
17-01-2012, 11:09
Honestly those saying not to take TK because their blocks of infantry are mediocre should also mention that VC skellies are arguably worse ;P

They're not exactly worse, they're easier to raise for example, but statwise they're almost identicle.

The point being made (I think) is that Grave guard are not only better, but also cheaper with their Great weapon option rather than the halberds of the Tomb guard.

If you want core infantry that can shoot TK are the only choice
If you want an army general that is not a necromancer or vampire TK are the only choice
If you only really care about competitivity Vampires are the clear choice.
Otherwise you can probably accomplish your aims with either.

Far2Casual
17-01-2012, 12:03
How can you tell that Vampires are going to be that much more competitive than TK with a book that has 2 days :wtf: ?

StygianBeach
17-01-2012, 12:49
Are you thinking of doing something like in this thread? http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263842&highlight=Albion

I was disappointed they did not continue posting.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd144/goroul/Ancients%20of%20Albion/Spear1.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd144/goroul/Ancients%20of%20Albion/Chariot3.jpg

Otherwise good luck on what ever you choose.

Aluinn
17-01-2012, 13:42
Prior to the new VC book I would have said Tomb Kings fit your idea better, but now that VC can have a legal army without any vampires, I'm inclined to say they're about equal. Advantages of each in terms of theme:

VC: Have Wights rather than mummies (i.e. their skeletal characters are not Flammable, which is difficult to explain with Barrow Kings, and can have heavy armor, which is probably in-theme); have heavy Wight cavalry; Ethereal units may fit the theme

TK: Have a Lord-level non-vampire fighty character (i.e. the Tomb King); have Skeleton archers, light cavalry, and a catapult; Bone Giant (*ahem* Necrolith Colossus) probably fits the theme as well

So, yeah, in the end, pretty much a tossup, accepting that Necromancers and Liche Priests could both adequately represent your caster-type characters.

Sithlord
17-01-2012, 13:49
I think tomb kings unit are powerful (provided you've get cheap tomb prince and necrotect to lead them) while vampire count are much more to tarpits army who simply overhelm their enemy rather than hard hitting them

Gerod253
17-01-2012, 20:06
Thanks to everyone for your responses. Special thanks to Snowflake, Skywave, Stormcrow, Spiney Norman and Aluinn for your thoughts and advise. This is my understanding of what has been said.

Tomb Kings: Skeleton Infantry is stronger, with a higher WS when a prince is present. Hand Weapon and shield is the best option if a person wants to be competitive. Archers are good, and a solid reason to choose TK over VC who lack ranged troops. Tomb Guard with HW and Shield are decent killers, but probably won’t take on things like large monsters. All of the characters are also flammable, and thus vulnerable. This army would need to contain a good number of characters to lead units of skeleton warriors and Tomb Guard. Necropolis Knights are decent to use. The Casket is a near must have. What about a Bone Giant? While I’m not big on constructs I do like the image of a Bone Giant, although I’d use a different model.

Vampire Counts: Necro must be the General if there are to be no Vampires. Wight King is decent to help lead a unit of Grave Guard, but lacks a lot of killing power. This army would be more about having large units of skeletons and continuously raising more. Black Knights and other ethereal units are decent distractions, but are not big killers. Leaving out vampires of all kinds would mean that the army would always be fighting a war of attrition. Using only skeletons and ethereal units for core would make it more difficult to win a war of attrition.

So, if a person wants varied infantry using skeletons, a lot of low cost characters, and the option of including ranged attacks then Tomb Kings is the answer. If a person wants vast hoards of simple skeletons backed up by effective skeleton cavalry and a smaller number of characters, mostly necromancers, then go for Vampire Counts. Is this accurate?

Also, StygianBeach, yes that is something of the style I want to go for. I also want to use a lot of bits, especially shields, from different armies to make it look like many of the skeletons being raised are the remains of those who attempted to raid the Kings Barrow over the centuries. Lots of celtic themes for the humans, as well as one unit of elite foot modeled and painted to look something like undead Roman Legion soldiers.

CarlostheCraven
17-01-2012, 21:16
Hi

I voted Vamps for a few reasons.
- the desire for a Roman Legion-esque unit or two. Grave Guard with Heavy Armour and Shield are closer to matching this image than Tomb Guard, who can only have light armour.
- the fact that your theme is Brettonian is geography lends itself to the overall look of Vampire Counts over Tomb Kings. Any conversions are likely to be less confusing for your opponents when doing a VC-Bret cross over a TK-Bret cross.
- the classic things you mention are VC, not TK.

Specifics:
Tomb Kings:
- Tomb Kings cannot wear heavy armour, unless it is magical.
- Necro Knights are quite good
- skellies with spears are fine if your expectations are right (i.e. low). A king/prince in the unit helps alot.
- Tomb Guard with sword and board are OK. A touch weak VS monsters, but killing blows always puts you in the game against heavy infantry.
- The casket is great. Well worth including if you choose this path. I am not sure what the thematic fit is though...
- You will need something with punch - monsters or chariots - to shift grinding combats to your favour.

Vampire Counts:
- As mentioned, a wizard is required to lead.
- Denying yourself of both vampires and ghoul/crypt horrors will make for very tough games. Liberal use of wraiths of all kinds will help somewhat. Hex Wraiths are great for softening and Cairn Wraiths are excellent at turning a combat in your favour. Having 2-3 Banshees focus on a single unit should help you wear down targets quickly.

Other stuff:
- Have you considered using Krell's rules for your Barrow King?
- Having a cluster of Necromancers central to your army near a Mortis Engine (with Blasphemous Tome) will help keep your army going.

Cheers,
Nate

Skywave
17-01-2012, 21:29
Thanks to everyone for your responses. Special thanks to Snowflake, Skywave, Stormcrow, Spiney Norman and Aluinn for your thoughts and advise. This is my understanding of what has been said.

Tomb Kings: Skeleton Infantry is stronger, with a higher WS when a prince is present. Hand Weapon and shield is the best option if a person wants to be competitive. Archers are good, and a solid reason to choose TK over VC who lack ranged troops. Tomb Guard with HW and Shield are decent killers, but probably won’t take on things like large monsters. All of the characters are also flammable, and thus vulnerable. This army would need to contain a good number of characters to lead units of skeleton warriors and Tomb Guard. Necropolis Knights are decent to use. The Casket is a near must have. What about a Bone Giant? While I’m not big on constructs I do like the image of a Bone Giant, although I’d use a different model.

Vampire Counts: Necro must be the General if there are to be no Vampires. Wight King is decent to help lead a unit of Grave Guard, but lacks a lot of killing power. This army would be more about having large units of skeletons and continuously raising more. Black Knights and other ethereal units are decent distractions, but are not big killers. Leaving out vampires of all kinds would mean that the army would always be fighting a war of attrition. Using only skeletons and ethereal units for core would make it more difficult to win a war of attrition.

So, if a person wants varied infantry using skeletons, a lot of low cost characters, and the option of including ranged attacks then Tomb Kings is the answer. If a person wants vast hoards of simple skeletons backed up by effective skeleton cavalry and a smaller number of characters, mostly necromancers, then go for Vampire Counts. Is this accurate?

Also, StygianBeach, yes that is something of the style I want to go for. I also want to use a lot of bits, especially shields, from different armies to make it look like many of the skeletons being raised are the remains of those who attempted to raid the Kings Barrow over the centuries. Lots of celtic themes for the humans, as well as one unit of elite foot modeled and painted to look something like undead Roman Legion soldiers.

Pretty much it. You'll be able to use more of the Tomb Kings units than the Vampire Counts, wich will gives you a bit more tactical flexibility. With Vampire you'll be stuck with only Skeletons as your core choice, while with the Tomb Kings you'll have the same Skeletons as well as archer and cavalry. Grave Guards and Tomb Guards are also pretty much copy-paste so both book will have a more elite infantry. The Vampire cavalry will be much better than the Tomb Kings ones (being mounted Grave Guards instead of mounted Skeletons). You'll also get more out of the Tomb Kings characters.

The Bone Giant is quite decent honestly. He's not a game winner, but can be a nice addition to an infantry-heavy army.

Cath
18-01-2012, 08:47
Your army is what you make it it just uses rules out of a book. What you're looking for fits VC closer in theme than TK and while your Lord might have to be a book vampire he is very much what you make him out to be. The only thing that matters is letting your opponents know what is what and who is who.

StygianBeach
18-01-2012, 12:17

Also something like this then. http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137770

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/kasrkin_rhodes/DSCF0089.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/kasrkin_rhodes/DSCF0080.jpg

Scythe
18-01-2012, 12:30
Black Knights and other ethereal units are decent distractions, but are not big killers.

I would say they are more than simple distractions. Black Knights are actually very hard hitting S6 killing blow cavalry, not something to sneeze at, or to ignore as a distraction once you put down a unit of 10. In the ethereal corner, you've got S5 armour ignoring hexrwaiths, and S5 multiple attack wraiths (both as unit and as hero). In addition, great weapon Grave Guard pack quite a punch. Such an army would be more than simply winning through attrition; the specials and rares can carve up enemies quite well.

Muddypaw
18-01-2012, 23:49
Thematically, Tomb Kings would work better if by "Barrow" you mean the archetypal pre-historic myths of the British/NW European bronze age/iron age tribes.

Moss draped bones and verdigris bronze spear tips, ancient chariots rattling forward carrying Kings long dead, skeletal druids stirring blood filled cauldrons as they call fell spirits to battle. It's such a classy image and doesn't work as well with Vampire Counts (with the IMHO caveat of course).

Though having said that I will add it will work with both books. It just seems a shame to lose the chariots. Good idea either way, hope it works out :)

Gerod253
19-01-2012, 08:03
Thank you to everyone who contributed something to this thread. I really appreciate the sharing of information. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has benefited by our conversation.

In the end I have decided to go with Tomb Kings. The frank examination of the two books has helped me understand that while Tomb Kings might not be as powerful a book in general, what else is new, the style of the army will fit what I have in mind better. The idea of a large unit of Tomb Guard equipped with the banner of the undying legion and modeled like Romans just won't go away! Besides, there are no other TK players in my group, and at least two VC players. The road less traveled and all. :)

I've got a new camera that I'm going to be working with. So, I hope to make this into a plog. If that happens I'll post a link here so people can find it if they are interested. Again, my thanks. Now, to begin the search for appropriate figures. I sense a lot of conversions coming up.

mrtn
20-01-2012, 16:58
You might find some fun stuff from Mirliton/Grenadier (http://www.mirliton.it/index.php?cName=fantasy-2528mm-undeads), I'll probably buy their undead elephant or rhino one of these days.

Eurytus
20-01-2012, 17:17
Thats a killer idea (yeah I'm from 1984...).

Good luck with it.

Gerod253
26-01-2012, 07:31
Quick note.

This is something that I found. I know it is a bit of a long shot, and would take a while to be made at best, but I thought I'd pass it on for those who might be interested in expressing their own interest. I already have, and pre-ordered a few boxes. It is a Skeletal Legion set at Wargames Factory.

http://www.wargamesfactory.com/BookingRetrieve.aspx?ID=128707

Skywave
26-01-2012, 09:01
That's some quite old info I fear, those skeletons have been out for a while now. You can see them on their store (http://www.wargamesfactory.com/webstore/myths-and-legends/wgf-ml002).

I've also read a few reviews of them, one of them on the Vampire forum;

vampirecounts.net Skeletons review (http://www.vampirecounts.net/Thread-Wargames-Factory-Skeletons-review)

In a nutshell, they don't look to be that great models because of the way they assemble.

LeftHandTwin
26-01-2012, 09:30
I would say, go for VC mainly because it has the banshees and stereotypical undead units you were after. Also as for wight king you could have a necromancer general and in the armies fluff just say that he delegates command of the army to one of his henchman so he may focus on chasing down and slaying enemy champions in the thick of combat.

rodmillard
26-01-2012, 20:32
I think you've made the right decision going with TK (and I say this as a long time vampire player!) VC rely too much on their fleshy and furry units - the bony and spooky options are better in this edition, but in my experience you still need a few fleshies (even if its just zombies raised in game)

Again, my thanks. Now, to begin the search for appropriate figures. I sense a lot of conversions coming up.

May I suggest this site for bits: http://store.warlordgames.com/ancients-313-c.asp