PDA

View Full Version : Possessed Chaos Spacemarines

Righthandedtwin
18-01-2012, 17:34
So simple enough concept here. I'm building an army a Chaos One I've had sitting in sprues for a year and am a HUUGGGEE fan of the First Heretic novel (I would fan girl scream if Argel was an SC in the new codex) and especially of Possessed, I really got into them pretty hardcore after reading FH back when it was released. So to that end I am looking to do an army based around either a Warband of CSM or even a renegade chapter composed of Possessed.

So inorder to do that I've examined a few codices and have come to a decision....I don't know how to proceed :( so far I am thinking of either going for:

A CSM army list using Codex: CSM and maxing out my elite choices on as massive a unit(s) of possessed as I can get away with

or

Using the Codex: Daemons list and having different Daemon Squads in a "Count As" situation i.e. Blood Letters to represent Possessed of Khorne/Heavy Melee Possessed.

Would either option be a viable choice/"Legal"?

I am also looking at getting a possessed Lord but so far the only things I can think of doing are with a CSM list using either a Daemon Prince "Count As" but the DP's MC might not count given that even the bets Possessed are only lesser daemons....or Abaddon for a stand in rule set but even that I'm not sure on the legallity of both in friendly and competitive play. Or going for a Herald to represent it in a Codex: Daemon list or for a DP again....

Anyway any thoughts? advice? suggestions?

Okuto
18-01-2012, 18:04
I say.....use CSM.....if your playing theme I don't think actually winning is high up there...

If it were me though....I'd just wait till the new CSM dex shows up....though I'd pratice converting till then

Infiltraitor
18-01-2012, 18:12
Maybe a Prince for your HQ or a summoned greater daemon if you're feeling bold. 2 - 3 units of possessed w/ rhinos to get them where they need to be, summoned daemons as troops and defilers or obliterators for heavy support as they're effectively daemon possessed as well. If you're really feeling "themey" throw in some spawn. There's bound to be some melding of marine and monster that went wrong.

Peril
18-01-2012, 18:20
How about using some Cult troops as your Troops (Plague Marines/T-Sons/Emp's Children make good possessed-ish guys), then use a couple of big units of actual Possessed? Round that off with some Soul Grinders counts-as Defilers (maybe even a Forgeworld Plague Hulk?)

There is a renegade chapter mentioned in the Chaos Codex (Beasts of Annihilation) that use lots of Possessed, in case you were looking at something other than Word Bearers.

Your Demons idea could work too (use the winged Possessed models as Furies, etc.) As long as everything was WYSIWYG and understandable to your opponent, it should be fine.

Latro_
18-01-2012, 18:26
Possessed suck in the chaos space marine codex.

I'd go with the space wolves codex for now until the new CSM comes out this year (we hope), you can build up a core of marines / rhinos etc which are perfectly compatible with space wolves.

you could be clever too:
lesser possessed/normal daemons - fenresian wolves pack
possessed leaders - wolfguard/squad upgrades with mark of the wulfen
thunderwolf cav - big beasties / spawn / massive daemons

Sureshot05
18-01-2012, 18:54
I field a ten man possessed squad in a rhino regularly. They suffer from strong competition from the Beserkers, inconsistency, and competition with Terminators. However, I love them as a squad and would suggest that if you are doing a whole possessed chapter that Chaos Space Marines is the codex you'll want to build to. With Daemons (which I also have a sizeable force for) you won't have the vehicles and it would be difficult to explain why they suddenly appear.

A possessed lord and a daemon prince would be fine I would imagine (consider Fulgrim!) as it would be a particularly powerful daemon to seize control of the lord of the band.

Similarly, either using marks, cult troops, or other ideas, you can theme each possessed squad towards a particular goal (see those wings, these are my raptors, those with large amounts of bone protuding, they're my plague marines).

Ultimately, it always comes down to your opponents, and I suspect that most love to play such a list, as long as everything is clearly defined and obvious.

Eddie Chaos
18-01-2012, 20:17
you could use them as bezerkers

Bonzai
19-01-2012, 02:01
Possessed are REALLY bad. In fact, they are one of the worst designed units in the game (I'm talking Pyrovore level here). Which is a real shame, as the models and fluff are awesome. If it is just funsies, I would have them "counts as" berserkers. Otherwise, save your points.

I am talking from experience. I was in the same boat as you, and decided to start some Word Bearers for an escalation league. They were an enourmous point sink, and I would have gotten a lot more out of a squad of CSM's for less points than I ultamitely got out of them.

Minsc
19-01-2012, 02:14
Possessed are great!...untill you check their rules. :)

With that said they are quite fun to use, and one can never field to many awesome model's with cool fluff to boot.
(The 'new' plastic possessed are aaaaaaawesuuuuuum!)

I'd say go with the CSM Codex, leave "count-as" to the kids who play to win and nothing else. Since you seem intent on playing it fluffy anyway, powerlevel should be of no consequence.

Vedar
19-01-2012, 03:19
Possessed are a pretty poor choice. I'd say not as bad as soom people say, but outclasses by other choices. You can play with them, but their random roll keeps them from being competative.

Most people will say berzerkers are better. Scoring unit, WS5, furious charge, grenades, one more attack, bolt pistol, and 5 points cheaper.

The only thing you get for possesed are 5+ inv that you will probably not use and random chance to get something that might help you.

GrimZAG
19-01-2012, 03:58
If you like possessed then perhaps take a look at the old Chaos Marine 'dex (version 3.5)

Charistoph
19-01-2012, 04:40
Possessed are a pretty poor choice. I'd say not as bad as soom people say, but outclasses by other choices. You can play with them, but their random roll keeps them from being competative.

Most people will say berzerkers are better. Scoring unit, WS5, furious charge, grenades, one more attack, bolt pistol, and 5 points cheaper.

The only thing you get for possesed are 5+ inv that you will probably not use and random chance to get something that might help you.

You forgot to add that Berzerkers are also more predictable. When you field them, you know exactly what you're going to use them for and how they work. With Possessed... Well... You have a 1/6 chance for a defensive bonus, a 1/3 chance of a movement bonus, and a 1/2 chance for an offensive bonus. They can't be planned for by you, really, but they are easily planned for by your opponent. They are just expensive Marines without guns and with an Invul save, after all.

Of course, if your friends are REAL nice, you might convince them to let you play them as your Troops.

But don't read the 3.5 rules for Possessed. It will make you weep for them. Seriously.

Chem-Dog
19-01-2012, 05:20
Simple answer, build possessed and count them as Berzerkers until the new Codex hoves into view, the rumour mill suggests they will be a little more....constant then, if not just keep running them as Berzerkers (which aren't ever going to suddenly become crap).

Lord-Caerolion
19-01-2012, 10:03
I say.....use CSM.....if your playing theme I don't think actually winning is high up there...

If it were me though....I'd just wait till the new CSM dex shows up....though I'd pratice converting till then

Why must people wanting to have their army fit the background automatically not give a damn about winning? Sure, I don't min-max my army out completely, but I sure don't like playing games that I have no chance of winning either.

Responding to the topic though, I suggest just using Possessed parts for normal models. As others have said, Possessed units aren't really that great. I mean, they're not terrible, it's just that they're completely unreliable as to what they'll be able to do, and other units in the same codex are better infantry assaulting units, such as Berzerkers.
Sure, there's the possibility that Possessed will get power weapons... but there's the possibility that they just get Scouting.

Personally, I don't see why they changed them back to being random, especially as the designer notes for the 3.5 book explicitly stated that the reason they changed them to buying their upgrades was that people hated the random abilities.

wyvirn
20-01-2012, 14:32
Have you considered using Fabulous Bill and upgrading normal marines? You could say that they are the unascended marines who haven't been broken by the demon yet. A DP or two for the fully ascended, and a few spawns for the failures.