PDA

View Full Version : What mutation should my Barbarian player have to deal with?

Nachie
21-01-2012, 06:05
So during the last game session, the warriors fought a bunch of Skaven and after a particularly brutal fight, the Barbarian player said he was going to search the bodies. It was an unexpected opportunity, so I had him find three warptokens (Skaven currency also used for magical purposes, made from Warpstone) on the body of the Skaven champion.

I did my best to describe the objects as mysterious and dangerous-looking; dark green with a strange sheen of brighter green moving across the multifaceted surfaces like oil on the surface of water... but the Barbarian stuffed them in his pack, anyway.

As a GM, it's just amazing when players hand you plot hooks like that and you weren't even expecting. So the first thing that player is going to have to do this next session is take a toughness test or suffer a mutation of some sort from handling the warpstone.

My question to you is: what should happen to him? I've already looked over some different mutation tables, but really don't want to roll for it randomly. Whatever it is, ideally I think it would be something that presents a unique roleplay opportunity for him, but isn't really goofy and doesn't mess with his core statistics too much (if at all).

One key point is that there is a Witch Hunter also in the party, so if the Barbarian took on a visible mutation, he'd probably be immediately burned at the stake! (and if the WH player didn't do that, I'll make him permanently lose points of Faith or something muwahaha) So something a little more subtle would be nice.

So anyway, looking for advice: what mutation or interesting penalty should I force on my Barbarian player if he fails his toughness test?

thorgrim
21-01-2012, 10:09
Hows about something psychological. Like the warpstone began infusing into his blood the moment he picked it up, his symptoms begin with simple matters such as possessivness over treasure (he claims the first piece of tresure in the dungeon and can't give it to another warrior). Progress to clandestine meetings in settlements (disappears for a few days trying to locate some warpstone), lack of coordination (re rolling some successful hits, deathblowing into a warrior), attempts to influence the other warriors (instead of progressing on the quest he leads them in search of skaven lairs) and his secret coming to light (the witch hunter may still try to burn him though). The 3 likely endings (as i see them anyway) he flees from the other warriors leading to a hunt to capture/ kill/ rescue him from a skaven lair, a quest to find the wise wizard/ witch who may or may not be able to cure him and the relatively boring burned at the stake.

Daemonslave
21-01-2012, 10:48
Perhaps you could role to see what effect it had on the warrior; 1-2 - Addiction, 3-4 Mental, 5-6 Physical

For addiction, you could make a table with various rules, giving the impression he is suffering from withdrawal (such as poor concentration, not talking to fellow warriors, stomach cramps [-1 ws -1 t], etc

For mental, you could increase the levels of Frenzy, perhaps so he doesn't recognise his fellow warriors, make him immune to fear and terror but also unaware of hazards (ie, he falls into pits easier or sets off traps easier), or perhaps have him suffering from stupidity at times.

For physical, make him roll on the Chaos Warrior mutation table.

:)

PatrikW
21-01-2012, 19:15
I support the ideas above of a growing addiction towards warpstone leading to a search for more skavens/alchemists to fuel and perhaps a latter quest for a cure by means of wizzard/witch/forgotten shrine.

zerodemon
22-01-2012, 03:49
The addiction thing is cool. I'd also give him a slowly progressing mutation. Maybe he starts off getting hairier or grows fangs and his eyes change colour. His appearance makes him cause fear in human, skaven and goblinoid enemies to start. Downside is that you scare animals off, so can't ride a horse between settlements and have to stay covered up in the big cities.

PatrikW
22-01-2012, 09:08
Perhaps he is slowly getting turned more and more skaven like, at first it could give him some kind of advantage like his sense of smell is heightened and enables him to notice approaching enemies earlier , his eyes adapted to the darkness etc. during this he should proberbly be getting some kind of smaller negative mutation having him take a choice between trying to get more warpstone or get rid of it. If he fancy the thing give him a bit more positive things and while he thinks he is at the top things start to go bad his beloved keen eyesight makes the torch hurt his eyes and he cant travel by day, he starts craving his food raw and if possible alive.

BigRob
22-01-2012, 09:19
To be honest this seems like a bit of a leap for Warhammer Quest, if your playing the game with this amount of RP have you considered switching to WFRP?(version 1 or 2 anyway, WHQ is far superior to 3rd).

I'd say all you'd need to do if he has been carrying the warpstone is have him make a basic toughness test at the beginning and end of every game he carries the warp tokens and if he fails he rolls once on the chaos warrior mutation chart. This could give him a cool powerful ability or make him shamed by the third arm growing out of his backside. Might make settlements a bit hairy but thats part of the risks. If you do not have access to the chaos warrior rules, then just whip something up yourself, remember there should be some beneficial mutations (like spit acid giving him a powerful short range attack or maybe something that gives him a spellcard once per dungeon) and some horrible ones (like brightly coloured skin, weakness, madness etc).

Have fun

Nachie
23-01-2012, 17:10
To be honest this seems like a bit of a leap for Warhammer Quest, if your playing the game with this amount of RP have you considered switching to WFRP?(version 1 or 2 anyway, WHQ is far superior to 3rd).

Well sure, but WHQ is sooooooooo much more fun!

Not to hate on WFRP, but the kind of scenarios I like to run are just much better suited to WHQ. And I think that with a GM, there really is no limit to how complex you can make your games. Ultimately, it is always up to the players and how much "roleplaying" they want to bring to the table. And sure you could play WFRP with miniatures, but having battles against 30 Clanrats wouldn't go off so well. And while it would be ludicrous to suggest that WFRP isn't customizable, WHQ on the other hand absolutely excels at customization and particularly in that aspect is I believe the strongest game GW ever produced.

As far as the Barbarian goes, he made his toughness test on a natural 6 so not only was he not affected by the warpstone, but he realized it was making him nauseous and threw it away. Oh well, I still need to think of a fun insanity to give him. This is also the same guy who has hideous scarring all over his face from dangling a little too deep in the Firechasm ;)

Chickenbane
30-01-2012, 19:59
I disagree with BigRob about WQ not being a good roleplaying game. It is a superlative hack n' slash but it has the same oppertuinity's for roleplaying as any other system as it's dependant on the group you play with. I played Vampire The Masquerade with a buch of triggerhappy goons, but when it came to some NPC interaction they were excellant and sometimes very surprising, the point I'm trying to make is the GM/DM or whatever you want to call it leads the group but the group determines what kind of game it is.

What I would've done with the warp tokens is let the barbarian develop a boil where the purse is kept, which doesn't effect his stats. If he decides to get rid of the tokens he must make a WP roll to see if he can. If he can't then the now chaos boil talks to him, subtly trying to coerce him into something evil while at the same time giving him limited regeneration. Give him a few free advances and then a couple of free mutations until he gets cured (by magic or stake) or devolves into a shambolic chaos freak that heads up to the wastes. I actually think that could've made for a great plotline that could actually see him 'return' playing for the other team! :evilgrin: